Start by marking “The Way of Liberation” as Want to Read:
The Way of Liberation

The Way of Liberation

Published (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Liberation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Liberation

Start your review of The Way of Liberation
Andrea Roth-trimble
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you only read one spiritual book in you life, make it this one. Even if you don't consider yourself spiritual!
Rae Lewis-Thornton
This is a great book for beginners on a Spiritual path.. Adyashanti gives clear guidelines for seekers. Many of these seekers ideas are hard to grasp but this is a simple guide for newbee's. For me there were a lot of I get it and at other times I had to reread and let the ideas sit with me... It's a quick and easy read with a lot of profound information given in such a small book.. I'm sure this book will be a go to as I continue on my seekers path.. Advance spiritual readers can probably take ...more
Magdalena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
amazingly brilliant, like all adya's books. fiercely graceful, uncompromising and naked in the best possible way... the essence of adya's teachings presented in a higly concentrated format; maximally potent for new readers and longtime students alike. i absolutely love it.
Sanja
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that it tells you new things with every new reading. As your awareness grows, so does the understanding about what Adyashanti talks about.
It has been a bit more than a year since I first read it and now, I discovered a new depth to his guide towards Liberation.

I recommend it only and only if you are trying to attain Awakening. Following the teaching is not an easy task, but who ever said that it was going to be easy. It's not a common piece of literature you just rea
Beth Crit
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore his clarity. I endeavor to live in the way this book reveals.
Judith
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I pick up this book in the evening shortly before going to bed, I'm astounded at how Adya picks up a nuance in a question and uses it to reveal a deep, profound insight. He shows what's really behind the question, a bit like pulling back the curtain and revealing the Wizard of Oz - surprise! An old man with frazzled hair, someone so ordinary, so direct, so vulnerable behind the big, booming charade of the Great and Powerful Oz. Most deep, profound truth is simple, and powerful. In the intro ...more
Thyme Wisper
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consciousness
I have both the kindle version and a paperback version. I even have a PDF version! And, yes, I have read all three. Many times over. I can never read this book in one sitting. It isn't meant to be read that way. And each time I even reread a section, I find that it is as if I am reading it for the first time. Thus I never feel like I have "finished" the book. I am finally realizing that it will always be so. It is a book that I will return to often way into the future. And that is okay...
Javier Villar
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: prayer
Probably, it's full of truth... well, half truths... like I've heard of something but I haven't actually understood it.
Phil Calandra
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
"The Way of Liberation...." is a book about spiritual awakening. The main contention is that we are beyond the body, mind and individual personality. The "self" or "ego" is essentially a psychological process occurring in the mind that organizes, translates and makes sense of all the incoming data from our senses. This sense of self pervades our consciousness and tricks us into believing that we are a separate entity. As one passes through the delusion of "self," this "self" is reborn into what ...more
D Schmüdde
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
"In the end we all get what we value most, and if we don’t like what we have gotten, we had better take an honest look at what we are valuing."

I have been practicing various Buddhist traditions for more than a decade. I still feel that I am a beginner and read this book from that perspective. While the book does lean on a common Buddhist tendency to enumerate qualities - an approach to teaching I don't find compelling - I have to say it carries a directness that I find refreshing.

Wisdom pervade
Andrew Houston
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Beyond ego is universal being; beyond being is the Infinite.

The Infinite is pure formless potential,
prior to being and non-being, life and death,
form and formlessness.

The Infinite is neither one nor many,
neither dualistic nor nondualistic,
neither worldly nor spiritual,
neither self nor other.

The Infinite knows itself
through a simple intuitive regard it has for itself
in every aspect of itself.
Thus it knows itself as utterly unknowable
and absolutely present.

To realize the Infinite is to lose your
Husen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With every time i read or listen to Adya, i realise how great teacher he is, i always get what i m looking for, or may be beyond that.

As i could learn alot from eckhart tolle, through videos , retreats and books i found with Adyashanti a new dimension to my spiritual journey,
Simply coz he knows what is.

Spirituality is a complete and full world that we better get into with guidance, this guidance happens be more than one teacher, i have a feeling that teachers just handle us to one another, unti
Jaroslav Vašák
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece. It's short yet it contains everything. It contains no unnecessary words.
I'm not sure if a beginner to a spiritual journey can grasp the depths of this book, but if yes, you don't need to look elsewhere - maybe you can read something more about meditation.

Definitely, recommend this book to all the people. You may find it's hard to grasp (read), but at least you know that it's delivered by an honest purpose of something deeper and not superficial.
Heather Hamilton
So insightful

Every time I read Adyashanti teachings I come away feeling different than I was before I read or heard them. This book feels like a form of a road map I have been searching for to get into a deeper experience. I recommend this book big time.
William Keiper
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written treatment of concepts difficult to articulate.
Wendy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Very to the point.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Be free, be free, be free . . . self-realization and the conditioned mind . . .
hideki kuribayashi
It helps a lot for His Youtube Materials

I love to listen to his YouTube materials very much, but often with some ambiguity. This book helps me to gain clarity there.
Richard Bowie
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awakening

This book is short and very precise. I would even say that it’s surgical. No unnecessary fluff. However some people prefer fluff.
Bhakta Kishor
Liberation is not about seeking a new world or going to heaven. Heaven is just a new world where everything is supposed to be better than here. Even if it is a little better than here or much better than here, after some time you will get bored with what’s better. A lot of people living in remote places think America is fantastic. But people in America are pretty bored. Otherwise, why such a big entertainment industry?

What is new will become old within 24 hours if you have a very active intellig
J.B. Mason
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Succinct and effective reasoning toward liberating our selves into becoming conscious, compassionate, empathetic beings. The practices are essentially the usual stuff of meditation, mindfulness and such. I struggled with meditation in the past but after reading and implementing the practices from a book called Move to Excel I can be meditative any time I want. It makes the impact of Adyashanti's observations and imploring so much more powerful. An essential read for anyone wishing to become more ...more
Awenydd Orchantra Faeryn
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is brief and "basic", but entirely full of All That Is, of the emptiness and completeness of being, of Truth and wisdom. I personally have experienced much of what he said in the book, and yet it still brought awareness to places I had overlooked before. (As he said within: "You may be shocked over and over again by the depth of illusion that you find and uncover within yourself.") No matter "where you are" on the "journey"-read it. It will profoundly affect your life if you let it.

Sam Rodriguez
Short and sweet, this book lives up to its promise of being a "stripped-down practical guide to spiritual awakening." It's fantastic to read a book that you can apply and actually change your experience in the moment. This is such a great book to pick up and read passages from to get back to that quiet place.
Hal Boyd
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a short read. He touches on much of what he's said before. I was concerned, at first, that this book was an indication that he'd "matured" as a teacher and was morphing into another commercial, mass appeal guru, which I think is something to watch out for but the book does consolidate his thoughts and point the way.
Connor+Lindy
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can anyone title this?

Concise, deep, stunningly simple yet infinitely difficult all at the same time. A book that needs to be read and digested. I don't know how long it will take, but I want to awaken like this. Worth every penny even though the PDF can be downloaded from the author's site.
Kevin Hyde
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent addition to anyone's study of mindfulness practice. To some it might come across as overtly spiritual but in my reading it skillfully avoids metaphysics while still using frank and encompassing inspections of Taoist thought.

Short, easy to read and re-read, and bring into your own focused practice.
Gerald
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At only 70 pages, it is hard to call this a book, but the incredible wisdom and guidance packed in those pages is incredible. I wore out my highlighter and plan to immediately read it again. A very special "book".
Stacey
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This is like a complex appetizer to the main course... It's not that I didn't like this book. It actually left me wanting to read more Adyashanti. Although, a friend tells me that reading him is nothing like hearing him in person, so that's next.
Afonso Matos
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
Simple and practical book on the right mindset for following through on the spiritual path. Here, Adyashanti beautifully presents his teachings in a really compact book. A book for true contemplation.
John
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Very clear and short. A good read. I like his presentations/live satsangs more though.

• The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
  • Being Aware of Being Aware
  • Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Presence, Volume I: The Art of Peace and Happiness
  • Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • The Way of The Iceman: How The Wim Hof Method Creates Radiant Longterm Health--Using The Science and Secrets of Breath Control, Cold-Training and Commitment
  • Freedom from the Known
  • Become What You Are
  • The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety
  • The Way to Love
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • Out of Your Mind
  • De hardlooprevolutie
  • Alles wat je wilt weten over hardlopen
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.

News & Interviews

“If you think that people should be nice to one another, then by
all means be nice. But when you project that belief onto the
people and the world around you as if it were an objective reality,
or worse still, as if it were their job to be nice to you, you put
yourself at odds with what is, and suffering will surely follow.”
18 likes
“The greatest dream that we can have is to forget that we are dreaming.” 9 likes