Start by marking “Sunrise (Pact Arcanum, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sunrise (Pact Arcanum, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Sunrise (Pact Arcanum #2)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Steel and Shadow

San Francisco, 2015. A group of friends celebrating a windfall in their musical careers take a wrong turn down a deserted alleyway, only to find their path blocked by two creatures out of nightmare. Surviving only through the arcane intervention of a cryptic savior, they find themselves thrust unwillingly into the center of a war of extermination between tw
Kindle Edition, Revised 3rd Edition (includes Radiant Burn), 406 pages
Published October 13th 2012 (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunrise

Katy
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Katy by: Arshad Ahsanuddin
Please note: I originally read and reviewed this book in August of 2011. I have since become a beta-reader for Arshad Ahsanuddin and the book I just re-read is the prospective 3rd edition for the paperback edition. Minimal changes to the review are designed to bring this into line with my current reviewing standards.

Disclosure: The original review was done on an ebook edition (1st edition) that I received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Sunrise, the action-packed secon
SueM
Sunrise is the second novel in Arshad Ahsanuddin's Pact Arcanum series, although by time sequence, it actually serves as a prequel. Again, Ahsanuddin's world building is excellent, remaining neat and logical, with the origins of quite a few of the technological advances explained (well, sort of - it is fiction after all) . Indeed, other origins are also explained, particularly that of the Sentinels through the Pact Arcanum, and Rory's conversion to the Redeemer.

The novel also details
Jason Bradley
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, ebook, vampires, proof

The world building in this novel is amazing! The complexity and layers of detail are truly a work of art. The characters are also complex and interesting but lack an emotional tie that allows the reader to completely connect and feel their pain and happiness. This is a solid story by an author with an unbelievable imagination, it merely needs a connection between character and reader to push it up to a 5 star read.

Dreamer
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire, m-m
Finished this prequel to 'Sunset'. Found myself skimming the first part. Got more into it when Nicholas appeared. Some overlap with 'Sunset' also.
"I am a Child of the Twilight. I hold the line against the Darkness, from the setting of the sun to the dawning of a new day. I live for the light, I die for the Light. My eyes are open, and I am not afraid." - Sentinels Pledge
Emma Sea
I got an email today from Amazon, telling me there's an update available for this book. Apparently I own it. Huh.
Shelby
As much as I want to know what happens next for all my favorite people after reading “Sunset”, I was thrilled to read the events that preceded it. I feel like I finally really understand all the events that led to that fateful day in 2040 when the world discovered just what the Triumverate and Armistace really are. I finally know what the Pact Arcanum is.

While we already know the destined future of Rory, Take, Ana, Nick, and Lorcan it was fascinating to see how they got to that point. Every even
Katy
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katy by: Arshad Ahsanuddin
Shelves: ebook

My thoughts: This second book in the Pact Arcanum is a prequel to Sunset, providing us a more in-depth look at many of the events that led to the events in that novel. We see the ori
Furio
This is a review of the second Kindle edition of March 2012.
It seems that a third Kindle edition, incorporating the novella "Radiant Burn", formerly published separately, has been published.
I could not find it on Amazon, nor was it possible to update my Kindle with this new third edition. Neither was it possible to purchase a third edition separately.
Now, I own both this second volume and the separate novella but it would be nice to possess the final edition.

A second editorial complaint is that
Scott
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunrise by Arshad Ahsanuddin is the second book of the Pact Arcanum series. It is actually a prequel to the first book Sunset. This book goes more in depth into how Ana, Rory, Take, Nick, and Scott become meta humans. There are some passages that will be very familiar to anyone who has read the first book as the flashbacks from Sunset are done again in much greater depth. There is also much more detail into the history of the world and the creation of the meta human species (Daywalker, Nightwalk ...more
Jeff Laws
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Copied from my blog - http://jccsst-random.blogspot.com/201...

After not giving the first book much praise, then loving the second book (#1.5), I was wondering how I would like this one. I loved it, as a matter of fact, I read 90% of it in one day. That’s mainly because it was slow at work but I had other things I could have done but I got into the story and couldn’t put it down. My main complaint about the first book was it was hard to follow the backstory. Which I really understand now because
Jenn
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book serves as a prequel to the Pact Arcanum series, yet another well written book by Ahsanuddin.
He writes Sunset with the same eloquence .
Case in point, though it was a prequel and I knew how certain events were going to end, I was still enthralled and turning the pages in suspense for the outcome.
I believe that only a gifted author can do that.
While the action is less than Sunset, it is still a gripping and must read for all of you that enjoyed the first book as much as I did.
I think that
JASON J. ALMONTE
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great Sequel! Fast Read! Engrossing and well-written!

Bought Sunrise after thoroughly enjoying Sunset. While Sunrise sometimes sometimes seems to tell memories reconnected in Sunset without adding much, Sunrise is an excellent novel in its own right. Ashanuddin's world- and character-building skills are impressive and shine anew in Sunrise. He could go much much deeper in terms of fleshing out details, but that may be more reason to buy the sequels. This is a great series so far and I highly reco
Roger - president of NBR United -
Another great Arshad Ahsanuddin book in the pact arcanum series. we get it told from a different perspective and we also get more detail of stories that were told about but not elaborated on in the first book of the series this has prehistory and provide better understanding to the character in Sunset. while you could read Sunset (book 1) by itself and be satisfied I will have to reread it with my expanded knowledge of characters and what happenned to them before the story in sunset took place.
Graciela
A really nice read , althoug i was a bit confused at times but maybe that was because i have not read the first book, even though this book is the prequel. But that aside it was a good book. Personally i felt interested all throughout the whole book and personally I fell in love with Rory, too bad he's gay :(. Thanks goodreads for the giveaway/.
Kristina
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, glbta
And this was another delight. I like how this is a complete story, and not just focused on the GAY VAMPIRE portion of it. There's action and adventure and angst and drama and a bit of romance and sex but it's all very normalized and wonderful. Can't wait to see what the next book has in store.
Yy Tang
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very enjoyable read. Very informative as a prequel although so parts are a bit redundant if the reader has already read book one. I missed the character of Jeremy but I look forward to seeing him in the next book.
Bobbi
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the third book I have read in the Pact Arcanum series. They are a fantastic science fiction romance series. Sunrise is a prequel to Sunset and Cathedral of the Sky. I loved reading about how the characters got to the place they are now in. Arshad Ahsanuddin has wrote a fantastic world with fantastic characters you can't help but love!
I can't seem to find Radiant Burn so Moonlight will be my next to read.
Denise
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book should probably be read first instead of second. I plan to go back and reread the "first" one. I really like the book, I also liked Sunset. The only part I didn't like was the very end. That didn't really make sense, it was like an afterthought to tie it into the first book. It was not only unneeded it was weird, which is saying alot since it is a "weird" book by definition. Unless you think Nightwalkers and Daywalkers aren't a little unusual!
Tj
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Once again the story is epic. This is more a prequel than a second book. There is an epilogue which does show this as the second book. The characters and world are just as vivid and well written as in the first book. I admit it has been a while since I read the first book so some of it's story line are fuzzy for me but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of this story.
Eve
Jun 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle freebie 6.3.12
Erica
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
These books make me crazy. They're fun and exciting, the writing is fantastic and the story is great, and I love them while I'm devouring them, but, somehow, in the end, I just don't feel satisfied.
Melissa Stoltz
Mar 12, 2012
Susana
Sep 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Origin of Darkness (Daeva, #2)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Blood Lilies (Blood Wars Trilogy #1)
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky, #2)
  • Fangs and Lullabies (The Demons Age, #1)
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Midnight (Dance with the Devil, #3)
  • Lion Hearted (The Divination Falls Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Stone
  • Soulless
  • Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1)
  • The Seventh Veil (Etsey Novels, #1)
  • In Darkness Bound (The Society #1)
  • Winter Wolf (Axton & Leander, #1)
  • Covenant in Blood (Partnership in Blood, #2)
By profession, I am a hematopathologist, a laboratory physician who specializes in diagnosis of diseases of blood, bone marrow, and lymph nodes, such as leukemia and lymphoma. In my off time, I write LGBT Fantasy and Scifi books. Yes, I realize the irony that I write about vampires. ;)

Note: I do not guarantee a happy ending to any individual book within each series.
More about Arshad Ahsanuddin...

Pact Arcanum (4 books)
  • Sunset (Pact Arcanum, #1)
  • Moonlight (Pact Arcanum, #3)
  • Starlight (Pact Arcanum, #4)
“I am a Child of the Twilight. I hold the line against the Darkness, from the setting of the sun to the dawning of a new day. I live for the Light, I die for the Light. My eyes are open, and I am not afraid.” 3 likes