Start by marking “The Walrus And The Warwolf” as Want to Read:
The Walrus And The Warwolf

The Walrus And The Warwolf (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Being thrown overboard was a light punishment and Drake knew he had a good deal. What he didn't know was that this was only the start of a long journey that would take him far from his home and his love - and he would have to endure far worse before either could be regained.
Paperback
Published June 1988 by Corgi

To ask other readers questions about The Walrus And The Warwolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walrus And The Warwolf

Dan Schwent
Swordsmith's apprentice Drake Douay is sentenced to death by drowning for vandalism and destruction of property. As Drake is swimming back to shore, he chances upon Zanya, a red skinned, red haired beauty, and decides he'll do anything to get into her knickers. Can two ships of pirates, revolution, and all manner of disgusting monsters stop Drake from being reunited with Zanya and giving her the rogering of a lifetime?

Drake Douay is a lying, cowardly, slimy, drunken fornicator. And I love him! T
Daniel
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is fucking crazy. Hugh Cook crams more events into a dozen pages than I have ever witnessed before, and he does so with a reckless regard for language or convention. In two paragraphs, a city can fall, or a character can get into a bar fight in a small shanty town and then quaff a mug of beer spiked with plutonium to celebrate; ships sail and take on monsters, and portals open in forests occupied by the ruins of a military complex from ages past. The characters in this story are driven ...more
Philip Armstrong
The Walrus and the Warwolf is one of the most audacious books I've ever read (and with a title like that how could it not be?). It's taken me since October to finish it, partly because what with baby and you nerds distracting me all the time it's hard to get any non-audio reading done, and partly because it's like a hundred thousand million pages. That's okay though; I savored every word. I've been sitting with this book for the better part of a year and have a lot of thoughts, so bear with me.

W
Gearoid
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a hilarious roller coaster ride from beginning to end. The main character is a demon loving degenerate who you can't help but root for as he stumbles from one disaster to another in a thoroughly insane world. Have re-read it more times than I can remember, picked it up as a kid on my first visit to a second hand book store, pure gold.
Ellen Franklin
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an unusual read - out of the ordinary for me but I loved it. Hugh Cook takes you on a journey with Drake and you had better watch out. Loads of ups and downs with this writer.
Moonglum
A very fun, wild teenage romp though a post apocalyptic fantasy world with lots of pirates, sex, booze, ancient super science, hokey religions, humor, and pirates. Arrg!
Mac
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. You easily forget that this book was written in 1988 because every character has depth, a good side, a bad side, and a past filled with important events that develop their character. Cook's storytelling is like a DnD campaign gone off the rails. Whatever plans or dreams the characters have in these stories, they will be swept aside because of how chaotic and terrible the world is around them.

For example: A character's woman is being holed up in an inn taken over by an evil
Neil
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it. There were parts that I really, really liked, but there were also parts that I didn't enjoy very much. The opening few chapters are not gripping and the main character does not endear himself to the reader at all. When the story proper gets going it is good, although somewhat rambling. I found myself almost exhausted and could only manage a few chapters at a time. It feels like it was written to be like Monty Python's "Life of Biblo Baggins the Sex Crazed Pirate"!
Casey
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy this at all. Drake Douay isn't a compelling main character. Many of the other characters are seemingly interesting but are only sketched out as characters and lack depth. There isn't a story so much as a series of wandering events. Setting was interesting but the presentation of it was dull.
Ceri Sambrook
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm cheating and using this reveiw for all Hugh Cook's Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.
Take almost every fantasy cliche and trope you can think of and give it to Eddings or Jordan and you get 'The Belgariad' or 'The Wheel of Time'- entertaining enough but otherwise souless pap. Give them however to Hugh Cook and you get your tiny mind blown. He turns everything on its head like no other author before or after him. Wizards, magic bottles, monsters and heroes are used in such a fresh imaginative
  • The Dark World
  • Template
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
  • The Sword and the Stallion (Corum, #6)
  • Demons of the Deep (Fighting Fantasy, #19)
  • Thongor and the Dragon City (Thongor, #2)
  • Sails & Sorcery: Tales of Nautical Fantasy
  • The War of Powers
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)
  • The Compleat Traveller in Black
  • Tales of the Dying Earth
  • Before They Were Giants: First Works from Science Fiction Greats
Hugh Cook was a cult author whose works blend fantasy and science fiction. He is best known for his epic series The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.

More about Hugh Cook...

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness (10 books)
  • The Wizards and the Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
  • The Wazir and the Witch
  • The Werewolf and the Wormlord
  • The Worshippers And The Way (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness Volume 9)
  • The Witchlord and the Weaponmaster