Start by marking “The Duke and His Duchess (Windham, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
The Duke and His Duchess (Windham, #0.6)

The Duke and His Duchess

(Windham 0.6)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Percival and Esther Windham had to beat the odds and face down gossip when their brief courtship resulted in marriage. Five years later, they have four children in their nursery, a ducal estate to care for, ailing family members needing care, and more trouble on the horizon than even a strong marriage might endure.
Published March 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Duke and His Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke and His Duchess

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story takes place five years after The Courtship. It features one of the worst things you could put in a story about an established couple. Don't worry, no cheating but the thing left a really bad taste in my mouth. I just wanted it to be over with.
It is still an okay story if for no other reason but to see where the two characters from The Courtship are at this point.
And another thing, there are way too many children in this story.
Jan130
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A reread of the second prequel novella to the Windham series. My original read was in a boxed set of novellas, but I'm recording it here cos I'm not going to reread all of the novellas this time around. Just wanted to get in the zone again before BOTM The Heir.

I enjoyed this one again and now feel like I'm back in the world of the Windhams.
Lindsey
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
How can one not love the Windham's? I devour all of Grace Burrowes books about the Windham's I cannot seem to get enough of this large charismatic family.
It was interesting to read how Devlin and Maggie entered into the family. Yes, we know why by reading their books, but to see the personal development between His and Her Grace was interesting. Also, I adored reading about young Bart and Gayle so cute.

The Windham series is special. I love reading every book about them.
Mariana
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Re-read:
I did not enjoy it as much as last time and would probably have rated it three stars now. However, it was still a unique story and much of it hit home.

Previous:
This was an interesting romance novella because it was about a couple who had already been married for five years and had four children. I enjoyed it.
Brandy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is about the parents. They've been married for years and have children already so an unusual, but sweet novella. Percy does something I'm still quite upset about, and I didn't quite figure out why Esther was so melancholy in the beginning, but the two obviously love one another and it ends well.
Marilyn Rondeau
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a total delight to read. Actually, it was two novella’s turned into one complete beginning to the Windham Family series. It sets the stage for a plethora of stories regarding the prolific progeny that Percival and Esther Windham’s marriage produced. But what THE DUKE AND HIS DUCHESS did for me was to show two people who were not perfect but whose love and respect for one another through thick and thin; gossip; betrayals; family sickness was so strong and so enduring that it is a love st ...more
Sommertime
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't keep reading once I realized that the "trouble on the horizon" they face includes (view spoiler) ...more
Kat
Nov 04, 2016 added it
I loved this book, though I found it difficult to read. I've never had children and therefore never suffered from post-partum depression; however, I do suffer from depression and understand the pain that Esther felt. The book was quite angsty....is that a word? But one felt the deep love between Percy and Esther even as they wondered about the future of their marriage. Theirs was an enduring love throughout the entire Windham series.
Rachel
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Another lovely tale

This second prequel novella is just as sweet and heartwarming as the first. I adore Percival and Esther and loved this brief glimpse into the early years of their marriage.
Astoria
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading this series because of the friendships and close relationships between the Windham children and their parents.
Beverly Diehl
4.5 stars. This is a couple that we seen in the full-length novels, as a long married pair. Although I believe this works as a standalone, even if you haven’t read any of the novels, because I have previously read many of the novels, I can’t say that for sure.

One problem right off the top, is the cover; The Courtship has the same problem. It’s hot, but as I recall from high school biology, blond hair is a recessive trait. There is no way that two blonds can produce a family that is not also all
Romance Reader
Out of all the Windham books I've read (about 7), this is my favorite to date. I'm slightly in love with their Graces now and see them as something more than meddling elderly parents. The short format works for the well for the Windham stories although I would have liked a little more character development on His Grace's part. I would love to see another short format story about Their Graces somewhere around their 15th anniversary mark when the household is in full swing and Percy has almost ten ...more
Danae
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written as a background filler to the Windham series where we met Percival, Duke of Moreland and Esther, his Duchess and their numerous offspring, this novella neatly fills the gaps about what made the seniors turn out the way they did. With a slowly deteriorating father and elder brother, Percival doesn't look forward to inheriting the dukedom nevertheless does his duty while worrying about his wife's health and whether she still loves him enough. The novella opens with Esther having borne her ...more
Jackie
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 As usual with Grace Burrowes, lots of lovely family interplay and warm family feelings, and for those familiar with her earlier Windham books, it's fun to see the heroes as children. I really liked that this is a mid-relationship story, where an already-in-love couple has to deal with the difficulties of maintaining their love after the initial HEA-- a real rarity in romance. I also appreciated the way incorporates the historical fact that many women became physically and emotionally drained ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Esther and Percy have been happily married for five years. He has ever growing responsibilities: four boys under 5, ducal and estate priorities, ailing family members, and he is not quite sure what is ailing his wife. Her body needs some recovery time from having four babies in five years, and melancholy is taking over as well. She is afraid that her husband is going to take a mistress, but finds out something entirely different. Changes in station, more mouths to feed, and contentment with thei ...more
Bambi Unbridled
3.5 stars / 1 flame. Full review posted at Bambi Unbridled.
 photo bambi unbridled logo large_zpsq7ai79wf.png
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this. It sets out the background to the myriad Windham children (legit and illegit) and paints a picture of a marriage in some difficulties which felt very, very believable. It was engaging and enjoyable and nicely angsty.
Kbee
It was good enough. I did like the story but I still have problem reading her style of writing...have one last to read hoping I do come to like her style because she really as good stories.
Kathy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Esther is one of my all time favorite characters and I loved seeing her at this point in her life.
C.
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's refreshing to read a romance novel about a couple who are married with kids!
Abby
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved that this story showed the reality of what marriages can really be like. It is not always happily ever after. There are disagreements and fighting. Women can have Post-partum depression and not know how to handle it. All of that is briefly addressed in this novella and I enjoy the realness.
However, I wish Percival had been more open with his wife about what was going on in his head. One of the things that made their courtship great was that they were honest and open. In this story they b
Joycee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short sweet story, and (as I mentioned in a reading progress update) it was odd reading about the younger Windhams as kids, but Percy & Esther were just as stalwart and forthright and reasonably loving as expected from the other Windham tales. So refreshing to read about the formation of their large family and the everlasting love they have for each other.

(Read as the second half of the two-novella publication with “The Courtship”)
Teresa
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novella was meatier than the first, and I liked it all the better for it. Once again, I sense maybe it was best to read after the first trilogy of brothers, but I also think it made me more excited to read the future books of all these kids, and to see how the Duke and Duchess are doing in their later years. I was happy to see Gayle is first up, as I was draw to his quiet, thoughtful intensity, even as a young boy.
Angelica Morado
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grace-burrowes
Yes, it is a good story! It is actually two novellas in which the first part is the courtship and the second involves the marriage. I liked that it involves many problems with family relationships as well as some involvement with their children and in particular the duke’s other children out of wedlock. The ending is very good!
Alice
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Percival Windham and Esther Continues

This novella is actually part two of The Courtship . It follows the beginning of the Windham family with the arrival of the various children and some of the problems encountered. And there are problems but through it all their love heals and restores them.
Carolyn
A wonderful quick read to catch up on the Windham beginnings. Having originally met Percy and Esther as mature Graces in "The Heir", it was nice to go back to their younger days (although a bittersweet recollection of young Bart and young Victor).
Kathy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perceval and Esther have been married for five years and have four children when problems come calling. Perceval has two illegitimate children whom he has no idea he has. Will his marriage survive this?
Kiki Belle
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprisingly, I liked this. Since Burrowes' works usually err on the side of too long, this novella length works well for her. I didn't have enough time to get frustrated with the characters.
Michelle
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A hard, somber read and there was no balance. The HEA was not earned just delivered, like an afterthought.
Gemma
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 16, 2015 09:45AM
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • A Duke Never Yields (Affairs by Moonlight, #3)
  • Lady Vivian Defies a Duke (Beau Monde #4)
  • Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales, #1.5)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • My Notorious Gentleman (The Inferno Club, #6)
  • The Secret Life of Lady Julia
  • Wicked Angel
  • Deck the Halls With Love (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2.5)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • The Duchess of Love (Duchess of Love, #0.5)
  • It Begins with a Kiss (Drake's Rakes, #3.5)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
  • Engaged in Wickedness (Bridal Favors, #0.5)
  • Rakes And Radishes
  • The Dark Lady (Mad Passions, #1)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more

Windham (8 books)
  • The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • Lady Eve's Indiscretion (The Duke's Daughters, #4; Windham, #7)
  • Lady Jenny's Christmas Portrait (The Duke's Daughters, #5; Windham, #8)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99