Start by marking “paper airplane” as Want to Read:
paper airplane

Read Book

paper airplane

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In this tumultuous, distinctive memoir, Kersten L. Kelly looks back on the most influential individuals that she encountered while flying through the clouds. Confined in a small vestibule for hours, Kelly identified an opportunity for learning and growth by chatting with the fellow passengers around her. After a few life changing conversations and unforgettable emergencies ...more
Published January 2013 by Talisman Book Publishing LLC (first published December 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about paper airplane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about paper airplane

Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)

Did I enjoy this book: Pretty much.

This is a collection of short stories that highlight the interesting people the author meets while on her numerous air travels. She jokes about the universal dread of being stuck in the center seat. And highlights the array of personalities she meets along the way.

I think the stories are at times amusing and interesting. But they lack any real moral, emotional depth, or plot. Basically, she points out that if you talk to people along life’s journey, yo
Melissa T
*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

This book has been sitting on my shelf a good long time. As someone who has spent nearly the last decade and a half traveling by plane due to an international long distance relationship, and now due to visiting family and friends in the US, I loved the concept of this book when the author first approached me to review it. I've had a few of these same experiences myself, so I thought I would relate to it well.

Some o
Christy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
When Ms. Kelly contacted me about reviewing her book, paper airplane, I was happy to say yes since the premise was so appealing. Who wouldn't love to read a book about life lessons learned while listening to perfect strangers while traveling by airplane? There are tales about friendships, families, and dreams. Tales of philanthropy and tales of humble service. The book includes 16 personal anecdotes from Kelly's travels throughout the United States as well as overseas. While there were many pros ...more
Joana Silva
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
I think it was a really interesting book. I love to travel. I prefer traveling by train, but because it's faster usually I travel by airplane. With this book, the author can change the way you see airplane trips (the trip itself but also those moments while you wait to get into the plane), and I found myself thinking about the times I traveled to see if I could remember something similar of some things that she tells us.

The author tells us stories of her trips and also different stages of her li
Brianna Soloski
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Paper Airplane by Kersten L. Kelly 3/5 stars

I was approached by Kersten to be part of her book tour for her recent release, Paper Airplane: Unique Tales From a Mile High. When she explained the premise of her book to me, I was intrigued and rightfully so. Ms. Kelly has taken some of her best, most intriguing tales from her time in the air and compiled them into this little book. It would be a great airplane read (haha!), especially if you had a longer flight. You could easily finish it during th
Gaele
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m a flyer who jealously guards my down-time when flying: I don’t necessarily want to interact with the people around me, preferring to delve into a book, prep for a meeting, or work on an itinerary for down time in the city I land in. Interaction is, however, sometimes inevitable: finding those gems in that interaction is what makes this book unique.

Taking moments to relay the stories and tales from her seat-mates on her flights, Kelly manages to deftly present the story and weave in several
Leah
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kersten travels an awful lot for work. Throughout her travels she has met many interesting people and heard interesting stories. All of this happens on the airplane to and from her destinations. She decided to take these stories and work them into a book, which is what we have here with Paper Airplane.

Kersten is a good storyteller. She doesn't just arbitrarily put the tales in the book. Each one, she feels, has a purpose and has taught her something. She writes of tales of a soldier coming home,
Valentina
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully different anecdotal collection about the author’s travels on an airplane and the people she’s encountered. From the moment I read the synopsis I was taken in by the rather unique subject matter. Yes, we all travel and we all sit next to people who might talk to us, but do these conversations cement themselves in our minds?
There’s a lovely sense of wit throughout the collection. It’s not witty in the aggressive manner that some other non-fiction books can be, instead making
JenniferJ
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2013, memoir
A unique book where the author takes her own experiences and talks with fellow passengers traveling and presents them in a story. Each story offers it's own little life's lesson if you ponder it enough. I'm sort of shyish in public so I could never insert myself into conversations the way the author was able to but I found myself in awe of her being able to do so and it made me think of how much I may have missed out on by not striking up a conversation with the lady sitting next to me in the pa ...more
Renee
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The book Paper Airplane includes 16 personal anecdotes from Kersten Kelly's travels throughout the United States and overseas. A fairly straight-forward read with bits of humor and wit, I found the stories enjoyable.

Kersten is very analytical, which is obvious throughout her story-telling, but I found it endearing rather than distracting. I felt some of the footnotes could have been a part of the stories, but they didn't keep me from enjoying the book.

One of my favorites is the boy who was "fa
Abigailann (Abigail)

A mixture of tales, linked together by people met on an airplane.

There were an interesting mixture of tales in this book; some of which I found very enjoyable, others less so. Each of them was different and special in its own way.

Each story had a clear moral. Unfortunately these were overstated in places, expressly repeated in case the reader missed them within the telling.

I very much enjoyed getting to know the people within each tale. Each personality was unique, and this reflected how they
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
When I first thought about this book, I was a fence sitter. I mean I've talked to people on planes and never thought our conversations changed my life- although there was one time on a train.

After reading the book, I can see why Kersten felt the need to share her moments with others. There's a lot in the book that people can relate to. I know I did.

It's a nice collection of stories that maybe you've had something similar happen or heard a story about how it happened to someone you know.

My only p
Dena (Batch of Books)
This is an interesting book about the author's experiences as she travels the globe. Many of the experiences teach her something as she learns people's backgrounds and stories. It gives you a new perspective on travel. The journey isn't always about the destination, but what you can learn along the way.

I wish there had been some dialogue to break up the large paragraphs of text and give me something to grasp hold of. Many of the stories had too many details and explanations surrounding them, but
Connie McElfresh
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Everyone has a story. You have to admire that in the beginning of the book she put down the "in flight magazine" and actually talks to her fellow passengers. Not many of us do that anymore. I think you have to admire someone who does that, in this day and age with all of our electric devices. For me some chapters were very easy to read and others not so easy to read. But that's also a part of life. For the most part this is a very enjoyable book. I did like that are every chapter was it's own st ...more
Nicole
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of stories that the author has picked up in her life. They're stories that she deems exceptional and that should be shared with the world. Although the stories are real she has fictionalized them and changed the names of the characters so that people would not be able to figure out who it was if they happened to know the person. All the stories intertwine with the story of her life thus far.
Delia
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and interesting change of pace for me. Even when I read my change of pace book it is usually still a book of fiction. This one is more a work of semi-fiction. It contains a great collection of stories picked up through a lifetime of observant flying.
Setup in chapters by each individual story its the type of book you can pick up and read hear and there or sit down and read the whole thing at once.
Ailyn
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The book has solid contents, it is not just a story, it is his-story. If the author could find a way to make it more interesting rather than putting it in word for word, the audience might find it an attractive read. The lessons learnt here are useful and valuable in life, but reading it is a challenge for a fiction reader like I am, because I am used to using my imagination, and this book does not spark it at all. Being a writer for Economics text book, I suppose it is her style of writing.
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The author's writing is well-structured and the stories that she tells are engaging. This would be a great book to use to pass the time on a car, train or airplane ride as you will quickly lose track of time.
Lisa
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
A unique book about the lessons the author learned when encountering fellow travelers on airplanes. I found it interesting how she incorporated what people told her life lessons for herself.
Mallary
Jun 16, 2018
Lynn Smith
is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2018
Kersten L. Kelly is a self-published author of narrative non-fiction and semi-fiction books. She grew up in Munster, Indiana, and currently works in a sales role based out of Chicago, Illinois. She started writing at an early age and graduated from Indiana University with a dual Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Communication & Culture. She then went on to earn a Master’s in Business Administ ...more
More about Kersten L. Kelly