Start by marking “Relatively Famous” as Want to Read:
Relatively Famous

Relatively Famous

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B003TXS7WS.

Meet Dani McKinley: A typical teen whose world is rocked when she finds out that her father is a famous Hollywood Action star. Now meet Mark Ocean: A self-serving actor with a floundering career who sees that a daughter is just what he needs to reinvent himself as a family man and get back on track. When the two decide to spend
Published (first published June 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Relatively Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relatively Famous

Start your review of Relatively Famous
oliviasbooks
2.5 stars. You like those simple, California-based teen romance movies in which a former no-name girl falls in love with the wrong guy first, gets enveloped into the rich-people-fold, makes everbody ultimately happy and eliminates everybody's problems? Then you'll like this book, although it is even more predictable and a little less dramatic. Hollywood chicklit. Nothing more.

If you are on the lookout for a better mid-thirties-guy-gets-to-know-his-teenage-daughter-story, I recommend Dinner for
Char ღ Denae
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this book. I have heard great things about this author but I didn’t see much of that here. For one thing, there were a lot of typos. I can overlook that, especially if the author is Indie and self-published but the majority of the typos were really obvious, like no one did a final read-through, at all. My second problem with this story was that there were several plot points that were just, either dropped or thrown in. I still enjoyed the story ...more
Jim Thomsen
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Jessica Park, known for the cuisine-centric cozy mysteries she penned with her mother, Susan Conant, makes two successful debuts here — as a Young Adult author and as a self-published e-book author.

"Relatively Famous" is breezy summer fare that should tickle young teen girls with its tantalizing, authoritative and often hilarious glimpses at beach fashion, the B-film industry and, of course, hot boys. And fifteen-year-old Dani McKinley, the story's central character, makes for a pretty
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check Out Author's Interview !!

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this book !
It started as shallow, obnoxious and tragically filled with too much Hollywood, for my taste. But it turned out to be much more than that of course.
It talks about change, friendship, forgiveness, and most of all growing up.

I couldn't help but wonder how the author was going to play out the scene. I guess I'm just one of those who hates tabloids on the outside and secretly loves to sneak on celebrities on
Diana Francis
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one just wasn't as good as Flat-Out Love. One of the problems is that the biggest plot issue is completely overlooked in the end. It simply isn't dealt with and that's frustrating.

I also thought this was really choppy, too much head hopping, and the end just wasn't satisfying. I felt there were probably too many plot threads and not enough character development. I was disappointed, sadly. Damn.
Jessica Fether
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. I’m so bummed! I’m not sure what went wrong ... possibly the awkward third person narrative hopping between characters or the pacing seeming off ... I just didn’t feel it. And I LOVE this author! Sigh ...
Jai
Sam
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read Relatively Famous after falling in love with Jessica Park when I read Flat-Out Love. I never wanted Flat-Out Love to end and thought that I might find the same connection with another book written by Jessica Park. I love her style of writing...she's funny and writes intelligently, but also knows how to pull at your heartstrings. I found that I really liked Relatively Famous, just not as much as Flat-Out Love. RF is a very easy read (like 1 day easy read) and is a very sweet ...more
Books
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I was delighted when this book was free for download and promptly loaded it on my kindle to read at a later stage. I’ve seen so many glowing reviews of “Flat Out Love” by Jessica Park, and though I haven’t read it yet, I was excited to start with “Relatively Famous”. Ten percent into the kindle version of “Relatively Famous” I was already disappointed and rolling my eyes like crazy.

In short, this book was honestly and one hundred percent not for me. I can hardly muster up any praise for it. I
Wanda
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Relatively Famous" was a sweet and entertaining read. It's a story about a young teenage girl Dani McKinley that is raised by her single mom who shows a lot of respect to her mom and her mom's boyfriend. Which is surprising, because let's face it. Teenage girls now a days, have nothing but attitude problems. So Dani is your typical teenager who has a best friend and both are a little boy crazy.
Then one day the carpet was snatch from under her feet when she began having paparazzi's chasing her
Jessi
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book - it was a fast, fun read that had me completely spellbound the entire time. I would have read it straight through in one day if I'd had the time to do so. Everything just flowed so naturally and entertainingly. This is the perfect lay-in-bed-and-read book.

The plot also really intrigued me. I loved the idea of a girl discovering that her father is a famous movie star. What girl wouldn't fantasize about the idea of suddenly becoming famous? I loved seeing how
Shawntay F
Sweet read

It is always hard for me as I age to read books when the main. character is a teen. I sometimes feel I’m too old to understand teens of today. I’m sure my mom said that about me and her mom about her, but this wasn’t so bad. There were some sweet tender moments and there were bratty teen moments. Overall I liked the book.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might've given this 2.5 stars if that was an option, but I can't quite manage to round that up to 3 overall. The writing is so simplistic to start, and there is no real hook to keep you reading for a while. However, I was curious about the story line still, and I had read another book by Jessica Park that I thought was good. So, I kept going. It wasn't a great book, but it wasn't awful. I just didn't really feel any connection to the characters. They were just there, and moving about as the ...more
Jami
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Plot: 1 1/2 stars
Characters: 1 1/2 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 stars

In my attempts to read more self-pub and contemporary YA, I picked this up as a freebie. Guess you get what you pay for, in this case. Predictable, trite, and rather dull. Dani's as Mary Sue as they come, with always just the right answers when she needs them, and just enough plot induced stupidity to not realize it and have easily resolved mistakes. Stylistically, dialogue was stiff, awkward, and too on the nose. Ended up
Sweetdulci
I first read Flat Out Love by this author, and while the plot became predictable pretty quickly, the characters were engaging and the story unique. Relatively Famous was a bit...meh. I found the characters to be a bit shallow and boring, and I was really just reading to finish the story. On a positive note, Flat Out Love came after this book, so hopefully that's a sign the author is growing and will put out good stories in the future!
Ashley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a DNF for me. I couldn't get into the story and all the different viewpoints were giving me a headache. I picked this book up because I loved Flat Out Love, and the writer has changed quite a bit between this one and FOL. Sorry just not for me.
Adele
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Woeful.

Sixty pages in decided I couldn't go any further unless a strong editor had made an appearance. She has a fun voice but it just didn't work with the chaotic and shallow nature of the perspectives. Disappointing.
Helena
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-and-half-stars
1.5 stars.

I'll give it an extra half a star for the Joshua Jackson reference. Other than that it was very predictable and poorly written. Another one to the 'meh' pile.
Shari
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I liked Jessica Park's other book "flat-out love" but this book I could never get into. Usually I like books written for 15 year olds but not this one.
Misbah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bleh. Good story line ruined by flat characters and terrible writing.
Dominique
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
So far, this has been another disappointment for me. After reading Flat Out Love, I was charmed with Jessica Park, but I can't say the same happened with her other books. Gladly, this book was her first one published and I can see her improvement.

Nevertheless, this story was plain terrible. I don't even know where to start. Lets talk about the ending: awfully rushed and cliché (but with no good reasons to be!). What seemed to be the entire plot of the book was literally blown off with no
Tammy
When an ordinary small-town girl meets her famous father for the first time, a whole new and exciting world is about to unlock its doors for her. The question is, at what cost?

Relatively Famous by Jessica Park
Dani McKinley is a typical teen who lives a perfectly normal, uncomplicated and relatively simple life in Michigan. With a fabulous mom, said mom's chef boyfriend and her best friend Samantha, Dani couldn't ask for anything more.

The problem with normal, however, is that it never stays the
Keri
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Just ok for me, I liked it for the most part but nothing about it really stood out. I wasn't a fan of the writing style so that may have been why. I can't say I really liked the main characters either. Jessica Park tends to be hit or miss for me. I really loved the Flat Out Love series and Left Drowning but this one, Restless Waters and Clear just didn't live up to the others. I feel like Mark magically transformed without even really spending much time with his daughter. It's like he ...more
Sara
Aug 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too many typos!

The ridiculous amount of typos were very distracting from the story. The story itself was predictable and cheesy. Character development was jumpy and felt rushed. I feel like it could have been decent if it was expanded a little and proofread a LOT. I was disappointed.
Cindy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet YA

Sweet story, quick read. Felt a little "Princess Diaries"-ish and the ending was rushed. Glad Parker didn't use the "mean girls" trope I was expecting when Dani met the Hollywood crowd. Rushed through the "is Mark using Dani" to father of the year. Would be acceptable for older tweens and young teens
Melissa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
This is quite clearly a debut novel. If you've read Flat Out Love, skip this one...it's overflowing with unfulfilled potential. If you've not read Flat Out Love, head there next--it's 1,000 times better.
Rossana
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
What would you do if you found out your real dad was a hollywood actor!? alot of teenager's dream come true but not Dani. A really good story but wish there was an epilogue to see what happened the summer after.
Nina Gallegos-skaggs
Cute

Very well written. Cute characters, plot, and setting. I would recommend it to someone else. Very easy read as well.
Sam
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Terrible. Not sure why I finished it.
Meaghan Royce- Love Infinity Book Blog
Cute book

This book is adorable. Dani is a good character and I really liked the whole storyline. If you haven’t read Jessica’s other books, definitely do it. They’re all amazing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Young Adult Conte...: #15 Relatively Famous by Jessica Park 2 18 Nov 06, 2013 02:56PM
The Hidden Review...: Relatively Famous [Jessica Park] 4 52 Sep 05, 2013 02:57AM
The Free Book Cha...: Relatively Famous, by Jessica Park 3 16 Jan 05, 2013 09:59PM
Relatively Famous 1 6 Aug 11, 2012 09:51AM

• What If
  • The Rule of Many (The Rule of One, #2)
  • Tia Sharp - The True Story
  • Kill 'Em All: A True Story of Abuse, Revenge and the Making of a Monster (True Crime)
  • The Cursed Series, Parts 1 & 2  (If I'd Known/Knowing You)
  • Famous by Default
  • Mother Dear
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
  • Break Point: SAS: Who Dares Wins Host's Incredible True Story: The Perfect Summer Read
  • Perfectly Oblivious (Perfect #1)
  • When You're Ready (Ready, #1)
  • Meant for You (The Connor Family, #3)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
  • Love Unscripted
  • One Paris Summer
  • Rumor Has It (Rumor Has It, #1)
  • Not with the Band
  • Collide (Blackcreek, #1)
Jessica is the author of 180 SECONDS, CLEAR, The Left Drowning Series (LEFT DROWNING and RESTLESS WATERS), the New York Times bestselling FLAT-OUT LOVE (& the companion novella FLAT-OUT MATT), FLAT-OUT CELESTE, and RELATIVELY FAMOUS. She lives in New Hampshire where she spends an obscene amount time thinking about rocker boys and their guitars, complex caffeinated beverages, and tropical ...more