Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  93,606 ratings  ·  3,037 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published May 17th 2012 (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The Jungle Book, please sign up.
R. There are a lot more than two. The first three stories are related to Mowgli, and then you have The White Seal, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Tomai of the…moreThere are a lot more than two. The first three stories are related to Mowgli, and then you have The White Seal, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Tomai of the Elephants, and Her Majesty's Servants (at least in the version of the book I have). There is a song at the end of each story, so seven total stories and seven songs.

To tell you the truth, I don't understand why The White Seal is included in the collection, but the rest are related to the jungle in some way--not to each other.(less)

·  93,606 ratings  ·  3,037 reviews

Luca Ambrosino
English (The Jungle Book) / Italiano

I didn't know that "The Jungle Book" was a collection of tales. Thanks to the Disney movie, I had always identified this novel with the story of Mowgli, the man cub raised by a pack of wolves. But another bedtime reading to my daughter makes me discover that this book is made up of seven stories, and only three of them tell about Mowgli ("Mowgli's Brothers", "Kaa's Hunting" and "Tiger! Tiger!"). The search for a place to live safe from hunters is told in "The

Kenny
~~ The Jungle Book, Rudyard Kipling

4.5/5 Kipling, Mowgli, and I have been on a long journey together. I started The Jungle Book nearly ten years ago. I lost my copy when I moved from the west coast to Chicago, found it again, picked up where I left off, lost it again when I moved to Wisconsin, and found it again in 2014. Since then, it's lingered on my nightstand waiting for me to join Mowgli again on his jungle
Manny
We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more
AMEERA
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my best childhood story absolutely the jungle book * mowgli * beautiful adventure
Nandakishore Varma
IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
Peter
India
The illustrated Jungle Book is a mixed bag of positives and negatives, and if your only experience of the story is from the films then you are in for a surprising revelation. Firstly the Jungle Book is not one story but an anthology of 7 short stories and 7 songs, and understandably with some more appealing than others. The contents include:

Mowgli’s Brothers (Story)
Hunting-Song of the Seeonee Pack (Song)
Kaa’s Hunting (Story)
Road-Song of the Bandar-Log (Song)
“Tiger! Tiger!” (Story)
Mowgli’s S
Apatt
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
Lynne King
Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
Shirley Revill
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction, children
I read this book when I was a child and I really enjoyed the stories at the time. This book was also a favourite with my children. Wonderful classic stories. Pure nostalgia.
Aileene
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aileene by: Luke Taylor
PRE - READ.

...as he believes I read too much Abs books *wrinkles nose*

Commencing on the 8th of August (9 Aug - Aus time)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

POST-READ

EDITED FOR Luke's review link.

This is the second time I read The Jungle Book. The first one was when I was in secondary school as I had to write an essay for it.

This story was memorable coz it was the same time when I first start wearing glasses. So, needless to say this was the very first story I read with
Kristen
No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
Jo
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, classics
Due to watching the Disney movie of "The jungle book" I assumed that this book was going to be entirely about Mowgli, but to my surprise, I discovered quite a few different tales and poems.
I liked that all of the stories in this book showcased animals, and the themes of love, loyalty and friendship were deeply explored. I found the characters interesting and I enjoyed all the stories except for the last two. They were pretty tiresome, and I found that I had to force myself to try and power throu
Leo .
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story that is really an institution. The characters mirrored in the Cub Scout Movement. I was a cub when I was a child and I adored the concept. Akela our leader and Bagheera. I remember going camping and foraging and singing songs around the fire. The nostalgia is warming.

An amazing five stars. I love this story. Brilliantly written by one of the greats.🐯👍
Michael Finocchiaro
The stories of Mowgli and his friends are splendid. Yes, Kipling was an unabashed supporter of colonialism and orientalist, he nonetheless was able to create some of the most vivid stories of animals and children and this one is certainly the best. The Disney movie does not come close to doing it justice. A must read even as an adult.
Mariah Roze
I am trying to read more classics, so why not start off with the Jungle book? This book is short enough that it only takes two CDs to listen to and a new movie version just came out about this book.

The characters were interesting and very different from the movie. For example, Baloo was apart of the wolf pack the whole time. His job is to train the pups. This is completely different than the movie.

All in all, I enjoyed this read! I’m glad this is my first classic, after starting up again. Also,
Amber Tucker
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
Terry
Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
Celeste
Full review posted below.

This was my first book completed on the Serial Reader app, an awesome way to read classic works of literature in less than fifteen minutes a day. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in reading some classics, but who doesn’t want to get bogged down in them. And no, I haven’t been asked to advertise the app; I just really think it was a fantastic idea, and the execution of that idea was incredibly well done.

End advertisement. ;) Onto the story at hand.

Most ev
Archit Ojha
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman revealed in his books that it was Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book that he read over and over again.

The Jungle Book is one of the fabulous books in my list. Reading the book brought me a nostalgic feeling about my childhood when I used to watch its tv series. Those days were truly Golden. They are just a memory now, but thanks to this book that I can go back in time, whenever I wish and relive those moments.
GoldGato
This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
aPriL does feral sometimes
"Now Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free--
The herds are shut in byre and hut,
For loosed till dawn are we.
This is the hour of pride and power,
Talon and tush and claw.
Oh, hear the call! - Good hunting all
That keep the Jungle Law!"
Night-song in the jungle

'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling is a book of delightful short stories and poem-songs about talking animals. Five of the stories follow Mowgli, who as a human toddler was separated from his parents after Shere Khan, t
Werner
Feb 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
Shelves: classics
Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
Melanti
I had no idea this was an anthology. For some reason, I thought it was going to be only about Mowgli and his jungle friends, and had no idea this is where Riki Tiki Tavi came from.

This was cute, but there were a couple of stories that just didn't seem to fit the "Jungle" theme. The one about the seal in particular had no business being in the collection. But the one about the camp animals and how they contributed to war/fighting also seemed a bit out of place too. Not that these weren't good sto
Gator
I didn’t realize the version of the book I had had 4 stories out side of what I thought the jungle book was. I didn’t realize it was a compilation of stories I was just looking to read to my children about Mowgli, however we did enjoy the others. Here are our favorite stories in order :
1. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is our favorite story in the jungle book.
2. The 3 Mowgli stories (Mowglis brothers, Kaa’s hunting, “Tiger! Tiger!”) were # 2 and the only thing I wanted to read , I thought the whole jungle bo
Donna
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
This is a classic by Rudyard Kipling. It's a collection of short stories for children with lots of animals and humans, and how they did and did not get along. Even though there was a fair amount of death in these stories, it was kind of glossy as most children's books are. The Disney version of Mowgli's story is definitely cleaned up a bit. I never read this one to my kids when they were little. Even though I liked this, I don't regret not having read this one to them.
Olga Godim
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
PurplyCookie
Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
MK
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know The Jungle Book was more than Mowgli, before I read this. Actually, I didn't know it was actually a collection of short stories, a few of them about Mowgli, others not. I found as I was reading the later stories (Mowgli ones come first), that I was disappointed, and they seemed not as good, but I came to realize that was just because they weren't Mowgli, and I wanted to hear more about the familiar characters.

In the end, the stories are all good. And the last one, Servants of the Q
K.M. Weiland
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not Disney's Jungle Book--and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Disney cartoon version, this is a delightful story in its original incarnation, featuring a much grittier jungle and a much more independent young Mowgli. Aside from the Mowgli stories, there are also several other charmers, including my childhood favorite "Riki-Tiki-Tavi" and the ending story about the army animals. This is Kipling at his rightful best.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
2/5 ~ Nope. My goal this year is to read more classics, even the ones I never liked. This is definitely one of them. Even if it’s a collection of multiple stories I found all of them very flat and boring.😅

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Arabian Nights
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • Lassie Come-Home
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was a journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including The Man Who Would Be King (1888). His poems include Mandalay (1890), Gunga Din (1890), The Gods of the Copybook Headings (1919), The White Man's Burden (1899), and If— (1910). He is regarded as a major innovator in
“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 326 likes
“Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 91 likes