Start by marking “Retread Shop” as Want to Read:
Retread Shop

Retread Shop

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Retread Shop--an alien-controlled galactic bazaar of unimaginable wealth, rigid caste systems, and ancient cutthroat rivalries. Young Billy McGuire, its only human, was unwanted, scorned, and forced to steal for his living. But now he has a patron, a mysterious alien trader and a new ambition--to become the Shop's first human merchant no matter what the odds!
Published December 28th 2012 by Wilder Publications Inc. (first published August 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Retread Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retread Shop

Fayley
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Mostly boring with scattered average bits. The author tried to create long lived aliens but their cultures didn't reflect their longevity . Nothing really fit right and there was no genuine depth. A hodgepodge of ideas strung together badly. Mocking faith at the beginning then introducing worshipped figures and god like characters at the end just didn't have any logical consistency - as if he wrote it over such a long period that he forgot what he had said in chapter 2. Lots of irrelevant detail ...more
Nathan Lowell
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and while I was reading it I thought, "This reads like something from the 80s"

Turns out, it was. 1988

His roots as a professional archaeologist show up in this spot on cultural commentary. I enjoyed it greatly.
Kelsey
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A truly original story...a rare thing indeed.
Foxtower
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
I didn't write it (see below).. I enjoyed it! Great premise!
Kalpit
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No one could think of such a Hard Core Sci-Fi story (not at least me) other than Tom King.
I proudly admit, after reading this Novel, Tom King is my favorite Hard Core Sci-Fi author. I’m very much impressed and thrilled by the idiolect Tom King possess.

I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan but never have I come across such a fantastic novel.
It's full of crazy imaginations, a world full of aliens and not a single human being except a lanky and gangling boy Billy.

Story:- The story itself was fascinating and very u
Richard
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
In full disclosure I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

It should be noted that this book is only suitable for adults due to some swearing and scenes of a sexual nature (including a squirrel-like alien that has to almost constantly copulate)

The story itself was pretty good, as were the characters. It was great seeing Billy start in the lowest of positions and working his way up through the ranks through various experiences. At times the progression seemed a little quick, but not overly so. Th
Evil
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Reviewing for Goodreads First Reads.

Retread Shop by T. Jackson King

Retread Shop, a space bazaar situated in a space station inhabited by a myriad of immensely varying alien species. It is on this space station that young Billy McGuire resides as the populace's sole human. His dream is to someday become Retread Shop's first human merchant.

Aside from a few (probably unintentional - made note of in my status updates) grammar errors and the almost continuous exploits of a certain squirrel type alien
Although I though the technology in the book bogged down the story in places, and it feels a little dated, overall I enjoyed it. It seemed to me to be a first book in a series, because the end sets up what could be an entirely new adventure. I liked this book well enough that I would have read that next book had it been written. I liked Billy and I would like to continue with Billy on his journey. Unfortunately I see no evidence of such a publication. Tom, if you ever wrote it, please e-pub it.
Jim Kratzok
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A rollicking fun ride! Billy McGuire, Human, Predator, Omnivore, was orphaned when his parents' ship blew up. Fortunately for him, he was not onboard when it happened. Instead he lived to grow up surrounded by aliens in the ultra competitive trading environment of the Retread Shop.

Through hard work, high intelligence, and a good ability to understand the things that make each alien species unique, Billy begins to rise through the ranks on his way to becoming a trader
KC
Jan 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
some fantastic ideas and wonderful world building, and all of it worthless for lack of a coherent plot. the characters "develop" in the same sense that video game avatars do; the bads get bigger and the treasure gets shinier, but the how and why of that progression is handwaved or only half-assedly explained. i'm all for wallowing in genre schlock, but i do expect basic narrative competence from my schlock suppliers.
Chas.
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book has all the elements I usually like but it just didn't come together for me. It's like he had descriptions leading up to an event and then no pay off. The author just described what happened then moved on without any depth to justify the events leading up to each payout. The final revenge battle was holy uninspired.
Bob Rust
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Retread Shop (1988) a somewhat congested but pleasingly vivid tale of the upbringing of a young human in the Space Habitat of the title and of his complicated dealings with Alien merchants and crises of various sorts.
Gedvondur
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Three stars, good book. One of the books that assumes life is all-encompassing and some of it tries to live with the presence of others without being all touchy-feely. Very 80s style sci-fi. Fun little romp, not too taxing on the brain.
T.
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first hard science fiction action adventure novel that features a young orphan on an alien-run space station that is centered on Trade and how to get rich. Will appeal to readers of books by Alan Dean Foster, David Brin, and James White.
Cory Gugler
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I made it about halfway through before realizing there was no plot to be found. Some really interesting ideas are explored, but I grew bored waiting for something to happen.
Jake
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Only okay. It had a good premise but was awkwardly written and went off the rails at the end.
Ove
Melyssa MacQuarrie
rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2017
Luke Chmilenko
rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2014
Robert Burford
Sep 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Thanks everyone 1 5 Sep 28, 2011 09:21AM
  • Planetfall (Genellan, Bk. 1)
  • The Best of Leigh Brackett
  • Building Harlequin's Moon
  • Mighty Good Road
  • Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1)
  • Kicking the Habit and Other Stories
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • Bleeding Heart (A Timeless Fable About Living Life With Passion)
  • Invaders from the Infinite
  • The Children Star
  • The Lifeship
  • Friend or Foe?  (Outernet 1)
  • The Martian War: A Thrilling Eyewitness Account of the Recent Invasion As Reported by Mr. H.G. Wells
  • The Disestablishment of Paradise
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • Riding the Flume
  • Reiffen's Choice (Stoneways Trilogy, #1)
  • Captive Universe
192115
T. Jackson King (Tom) is a professional archaeologist and journalist. He writes hard science fiction, anthropological scifi, dark fantasy/horror and contemporary fantasy/magic realism--but that didn't begin until he was 38.

Before then, college years spent in Paris and in Tokyo led Tom into antiwar activism, hanging out with some Japanese hippies and learning how often governments lie to their citi
More about T. Jackson King...