Jump to ratings and reviews

Beyond The Spotlight #2

Secrets of a Shy Socialite

She'll do anything to protect her newborn twins…

Jena was always "the good Piermont twin," preferring nursing others over life in the limelight. Seducing her all-time crush was the bravest and definitely the most outrageous thing she's ever done. What did giving in to her desire bring her? Two adorable baby girls! But the social fallout will be nothing compared to confessing the truth to the unsuspecting father.

And how will he react when Jena reveals her most heartbreaking secret of all?

Paperback

First published January 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Wendy S. Marcus

66 books266 followers
Wendy S. Marcus is an award-winning author of contemporary romance who lives in the beautiful Hudson Valley region of New York...where she spends way too much time indoors on her computer. Writing. Really! Okay, more like…where she spends way too much time on Twitter and Facebook! To learn more about Wendy and the books she’s managed to write, in spite of her social media addiction, visit http://WendySMarcus.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (6%)
1 star
3 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer Faye.
Author 233 books1,379 followers
January 30, 2013
Secrets of a Shy Socialite was an excellent read. Wendy handled the delicate issue the heroine has to deal with splendidly. And the hero, wow, how could you not fall for him. He tried so hard to do the right things and even when he failed to get it right, he didn't give up. This was a very touching story that carried me straight through to 'the end.' Well done. :-)
Profile Image for Sara  HarlequinJunkie.
247 reviews271 followers
January 22, 2013
Rating 4.5 Stars

Secrets of a Shy Socialite, book#2 of Piermont sisters is a thought provoking medical romance well worth delving into.

Secrets of a Shy Socialite is Jena’s Story. Jena has always been the quite twin, the amiable twin having pretty much lived in Jaci’s Shadow, so imagine everyone’s surprise when Jena returns home a mother of twin girls, suffice to say no one is more surprised than Justin. Ten months ago Justin was distraught to realize that he slept with his best friend Jaci but when he found it was Jena all hell broke loose. Now not only does Justin have to come to terms that the Piermont twin that featured in his teenage fantasies was Jena and not Jaci but also that he is a father of twin girls.

Jena has tested positive for the breast cancer gene and learnt she has a higher than normal risk of developing breast cancer given her family history.
When I read of Jena’s decision to have an elective mastectomy like Justin reaction below I couldn’t quite wrap my head around it, why would a healthy person decide to have major elective surgery putting her life at risk as a drastic preventive measure considering she has two little babies in her Care?….

“So.” He stood. “Just so I’m sure I understand.” He crossed one arm over his waist, rested the elbow of the other on his wrist, and traced his goatee in a downward motion with his index finger and thumb. “You’re planning to have two major elective—am I correct in assuming they’re elective?” He looked down at her for confirmation.
She nodded
“Two major elective surgeries that will disfigure your body and put you at risk for any number of surgical complications, because there’s a chance that you may, at some point in the future, develop cancer.” He moved both hands to his hips. “And you honestly think you’re in control not the threat of cancer?”

It was thought provoking and certainly got me thinking…and made me realize that it is easy to pass judgment when you are sitting on the sideline rather than walking the line.

Wendy has a wonderfully fresh voice and she wasn’t afraid to step outside the box. In both the Piermont sisters books Wendy deals with some pretty tough social issues such as PTSD, domestic violence and elective mastectomy and for that she needs to be commended.

The writing while funny and flirty at times was also deeply moving and emotional at others which made for quite a contrast and provided a range of emotional depth.

I would definitely recommend this thought provoking book from talented author Wendy S Marcus and I Can't wait for the next installments from this author!
Profile Image for Nance.
1,459 reviews103 followers
February 19, 2013
Author, Wendy S. Marcus, does not dilly dally around when revealing who fathered heiress Jena Piermont’s beautiful twin daughters in this second installment of the Piermont sisters duet. And, it’s a WHOPPER!!!

Her identical twin, Jaci, is shocked and didn’t think that her sister ever had it in her to do something so outlandish when Jena finally tells her about her sexual tryst encountered some months ago. But, Jaci has known since high school how Jena felt about her big crush and isn’t surprised at all who Jena does the dirty deed with. She is a little perturbed, however, that Jena duped the guy into thinking that it was her he was bedding and not Jena. But, she soon gets over it, though, when being around those two cute little bundles of joy.

Now that the truth is out, and she has enlightened the father of his two daughters and the fact that it wasn’t Jaci he had slept with, how will he take the shock of it all? Will they become a couple and do right by their children, or will they take the separate parenting approach and just remain friends for all intense purposes?

This was Ms. Marcus’s best novel yet! I could honestly say that this book kept my attention totally, and I read it in record speed – not stopping until the last page was turned. There was emotion. There was laughter. And, there was the spice of romance; the couple’s passion was smoldering and heartfelt. A little family drama enhanced by a step-brother’s intensity to abide by their deceased father’s will properly also graced the pages. But, what struck me so emotionally, was Jena’s decision to sorrowfully come clean about the medical crisis that could potentially end her life if certain percautions are not taken now. She has made her decision, and that’s the way it will stand! The hero was just so understanding and compassionate when faced head-on with Jena’s final decision concerning her health. I found myself shedding some tears about what she was about to face – so, so sad. The author wrote the scenes tenderly and beautiful with the larger-than-life hero just so troubled about his fiance’ while devotedly caring for their two infant daughters. Who wouldn’t love a guy like that? And, Jena was such a strong beautiful woman. Sure she was scared, but she knew what she had to do so she would be able to watch her two infant daughters grow up and remain in their lives forever. Such a courageous decision!

Such a tender-hearted story with tons of emotion and romance. You will not be disappointed with this addition to Ms. Marcus’s collection of medical romance novels!

Profile Image for Onu.
212 reviews
January 6, 2014
This was such a sweet, heart touching story of two very real people. We had a hero, Justin who feared commitment like any other guy. He was wonderful with the twins. He actually tried to bond with them and the moments with his twins were absolutely precious. I could actually feel them bonding. Unlike most HARLEQUIN heroes who do the right thing when they realize they have fathered a baby, but you never actually see any true moments of bonding between them, we witnessed plenty of those father-daughters bonding moments.

I love Justin even more for being man enough to accept Jena's life changing decision. He not only understood her reasons for taking such drastic measures but he also supported her and never let his love or respect for her diminish. That takes a lot of courage and only a real man would take it all in his stride.

Jena is one of my favorite heroines. She is smart, she is feisty and very, very courageous. I loved her fighting spirit. It takes a lot of courage to do what she had decided to do. She could have take the easy way not but she decided to fight and not let death shadow her life and her happiness.

It felt good to see two people who are very real, with real issues. Of course we are all scared of "disfigurement" of any sort. We are scared of the impact it might have on our relationship. Sadly, Jena's father wasn't man enough to take his wife's deteriorating condition into his stride. Instead of being a source of comfort, he rejected his wife repulsed by her imperfection. That is how most people react to any form of imperfection. And it is perfectly human. I don't think it is a fault for it is the normal reaction of most people. Only few people have the strength and the courage to look beyond it, see the person behind those imperfections. And that is something special, a very special kind of love, not everyone is blessed with.

My first foray into the world of Harlequin Medical romance. I am so glad this good was my first. I am going to read some more of her books. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Lisa.
913 reviews25 followers
February 24, 2013
This is book two in the medical romance series Beyond the Spotlight by Wendy S Marcus. I reviewed book 1 yesterday. As i said yesterday i had not read a medical romance until now and it seems it might be something i could read more of. In Secrets of a Shy Socialite Jena, who is Jaci twin sister finally comes clean about who the father of her twin baby girls is. We find out in book 1 along with Ian but no one else knows til we get started in this book. Justin is a good guy but with some hang ups. He doesn't want to be be married or have kids. His upbringing shaped his ideas and unfortunately he's not going to get a choice on at least one of those two things. He is the Jena's twins father. One night of drunken passion on his part and a broken condom and he's a dad. Problem is he thought it was Jaci until after. His reaction to the news drove Jena away for ten months so she could regroup have her babies and decide what to do. Justin is stunned at first but quickly regroups. It doesn't take long for him to realize Jena isn't what he thought. She might not be the wild child outspoken person Jaci is but she's tough as hell when it's needed. She's not a spoiled rich girl either which she proves by taking a job in a urgent care center in a bad part of town. She needs the work as her brother put i a freeze on what money she did have and she still needs to be married to claim her 25 million dollar trust fund. Justin is a cop and also runs security for the urgent care center so he steps up to watch over Jena while learning more about her. Jena has a bigger secret than Justin being the father of her twin girls though. When she finally reveals it to Justin will he run or stand tall? This was a great ending to the two book series. Justin and Jena get introduced in book one and it is amazing how different a secondary character is once brought into the spotlight. The author tackles some tough topics in both books. Abuse, PTSD, traumatic injury and breast cancer. Yet you don't feel totally bogged down by all that because of the way the characters handle it. You end up feeling a bit emotional by the end of this book. Love the characters. 4 out of 5 stars for Secrets of a Shy Socialite by Wendy S Marcus.
Profile Image for Amy R.
582 reviews
March 12, 2013
Wendy really knows how to captivate her audience in her stories. They are heartbreaking, sweet and sexy all at the same time. She does a fantastic job of moving the plot along at a great pace. I was disappointed when the story was over because it seemed to fly by. In Secrets of a Shy Socialite we learn about Jena Piermont, the so-called shy, obdient twin to her sister Jaci, the wild, independent one. Jena has her secrets and boy do we learn she is not all that shy or obedient sometimes.

Justin is the love of Jena's life. She would do anything for him and needs to share the news about their twin daughters with him, which is one of the reasons she comes back home. The party boy Justin, who never plans to settle down, is quite shocked by the news but is going to do well by his daughters and Jena. We get to watch how Jena and Justin lean on each other for help with new parenting as well as some other, bigger issues that will change their lives. Some of my favorite parts were reading about Justin trying to change the twins' diapers and learning what Jena was like as a teenager.

The physical chemistry between Justin and Jena was hot. They can't deny the attraction they have for each other, even if they think it will complicate things. I love the way Wendy writes an intimate scene by giving just enough details without going too far. They are very appropriate for the story and the characters. The scenes at the end are so good that I think I shed a tear over how sweet they are!

I love reading about family in books, especially sisters. Jaci and Jena would do anything for each other and I really admire Jaci for not pushing Jena too far and for just supporting her in the decisions that were made. Reading a book series is always great because you get to continue with characters from previous books. The appearances Jaci and Ian made in Secrets of a Shy Socialite were fun and we get to relive the fact that Ian has his hands full with Jaci. If you are looking for an emotional contemporary medical romance to read that is sweet, sexy, and heartwarming, I highly recommend Secrets of a Shy Socialite.
Profile Image for Lucy Oliver.
Author 9 books16 followers
April 26, 2013
This book is a touching read. Expecting it to be a pure romance, I was impressed by the important and rarely highlighted topic it covers of hereditary breast cancer. This serious issue is dealt with so well, I would recommend this book to people in that situation.

The romance between Jena and Justin is sweet and believable, with Jena turning out far stronger than I originally expected her to be. She was a character that developed throughout the course of the book, and her distress at the end is sensitively shown. There are few romance books that are brave enough to have their main character dealing with the dreaded medical drains and description was so accurate, it made me wince!

A brilliant read that has been well researched and beautifully written.
Profile Image for R.C. Matthews.
Author 40 books280 followers
January 8, 2015
I absolutely loved, loved, loved this story and read it in one sitting because I didn't want to put it down. The author took a very serious and important medical issue and wrapped a beautiful, heart-warming love story around it. I giggled in quite a few scenes along the way as the hero learned to accept his feelings for the heroine. Both H/h were well developed and wonderful characters. For starting out as a self-pronounced rake, Justin sure did turn out to be the perfect lover and friend. There were ups and downs but the characters behaviors made sense in the context of what was happening, so I was emotionally engaged and sympathetic.

I highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Cricket.
171 reviews3 followers
November 14, 2013
I am usually not a big romance reader, but I have to say this book was so enlightening. It is not your typical romance by any means. I loved the strong characters and the equally strong message and lesson this book teaches. I could not put it down and read it straight through. If you like a book with romance, one that will teach you a little something and tackle a really hard subject then this is the book for you.
I'm new to reading Wendy S. Marcus books this one was my first one, but it will not be the last one. I hope she keeps tackling those hard subjects.
Profile Image for Joya Fields.
Author 9 books93 followers
April 19, 2013
I really enjoyed Secrets of a Shy Socialite. Jena is a strong and conflicted heroine trying to adjust to life as the single mom of twins. Easy to relate to her. Justin is an interesting hero who grows through the story. It's easy to root for them to make it as a couple. Well done, Wendy! I'll be reading more of your books.
Profile Image for Debbie.
363 reviews21 followers
May 17, 2013
What a beautiful story. If I could I would have given this 10 stars. Thank you Wendy for the great book.
254 reviews1 follower
April 8, 2021
I wasn't sure if I could get into the book because of the initial premise (twin assumes her sister's identity and sleeps with her crush; crush sleeps with who he thinks is his best friend's girl-ew). Also, Justin is scarily realistic and oddly enough, I found that to be a major turn off (a quirk I find amusing because Harlequin heroes can be crazy lol). Justin is a normal dude who's slept with a lot of women, is superficial, and never wants to get married or have kids. He has a lot of growing up to do and although I doubted him, he does get better and wiser over the course of the book. Jena's story of strength in freeing herself from her oppressive brother and making tough decisions regarding her health brought me to tears. I have hardly ever cried reading a Harlequin book but this book packs a punch.
687 reviews
August 11, 2020
Asked to read this by my friend who wanted me to have another (other than my own) account of the decision to have a profilacive bilateral mastectomy. Reasoning was clear but aspects and results were unconvincing. Also too much romantic content.
Profile Image for Kellcifer.
458 reviews14 followers
May 29, 2016
2.5 Stars.

Did this book really end with the line, "Jena couldn't remember what aroused nipples felt like, and she didn't miss them at all."?! I mean...WTF. And the main male character goes from a horn dog, manwhore, commitment-phobe who dislikes the heroine pretty strongly to committed boyfriend/fiancé to her in the blink of an eye, no real building towards it.
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.