Start by marking “Metal Heart” as Want to Read:
Metal Heart

Metal Heart

Scott King swore off rock stardom after his band, King Phoenix, crashed and burned. Now in his forties, Scott lives a quiet life as a music producer and session guitarist. But in a box hidden in his wardrobe lie the relics of the past he left behind—a past filled with drugs, booze, and broken hearts. For sixteen years, Scott has had no contact with his former bandmates, so ...more
Published January 28th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Metal Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metal Heart

Start your review of Metal Heart
Baba
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars.****Review completed September 30, 2013

photo 3f47b1b3-6fb0-4228-b2bd-2d5f499e704f_zpse3b3b167.jpg

Metal Heart starts off with a prologue which is set in 2011. Scott King, 41, is a well-known music producer and the former lead guitarist of King Phoenix. The band split up sixteen years ago, and since then Scott preferred to live a rather secluded life together with his sister and his niece in rural Berry, Australia. However, when Scott gets a phone call from his former boyfriend and love of his life, Ash Walker, who is also the former lead singer
Wendys Wycked Words
This was a pretty nice read even though there were some things that bothered me. One of those things was the lack of communication between these men

I have seen some divided reviews on this one. Some were pissed at Scott, others at Ash. To be honest, both MC's pissed me off and I think they both made some shitty mistakes.

Other than that, this was an enjoyable read with medium steam.

The book starts in the present, then flashes back to 16 years ago. Halfway into the book, it goes back to the p
Ele
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ele by: Lenore
Shelves: second-chance
Second chance romance is a favorite trope of mine, but sadly there aren't enough books about it in the genre! I don't know how I missed this book, but I'm so glad I read it.

The first half is a little slow and wordy (too much stuff about the band and other details). I also think that the ending was a little abrupt and an epilogue would have been great.

All this did not diminish my enjoyment, though. I was totally invested in the story and the characters, and the second half gut-punched me with FE
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

Wowzer. That was one wild, angst-filled ride and I looooved it. Generally, I don't like romance books that deal with addiction. It's like a big, fat, wet blanket: way too heavy and uncomfortable for my liking. Having said that, I enjoyed this book. Scott and Ash were loveable for their imperfections. But, honestly, I was beyond hurt and disappointed in Ash for (view spoiler). Ash's explanation at the end placated me a little bu
DarienMoya

4.5

Another book I was very surprised by, and man it’s awesome when that happens. Metal Heart brought out all kinds of emotions in me, if you follow me on twitter and Goodreads then you already know this. There is something very charming about the story, and refreshing about the characters that I just fell in love with. Plus, its rockstars and they're always all kinds of kickass.

The book is broken down in two parts: the 1990s and 2011 (the books present time). In 1990, Scott King is looking for
Lenore
A bit unpolished and unnecessarily long in the first half, better but a bit convoluted and unbalanced in the second.

But rockers/musicians are my cryptonite, and the second chance/lovers reunited trope is among my favourites, so I still enjoyed this.

And I'll definitely be reading more by this author.
Renée
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, mm-romance
Very good read. I had the feelz! Just in sore need of an epilogue.
Lauren
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic and truly emotional read for me. There were parts of this story that ripped my heart out, but I still loved every second of it. God, Scott's spiral into drug-use broke my heart. And I don't even know where to begin with describing my feelings for Ash. I loved him so much, and my heart broke for him too, especially when we finally saw things from his perspective. I didn't blame him at all for what happened to Scott. All I wanted to do was hug him and cry and tell him that eve ...more
Yvonne
See this review on Hearts on Fire http://heartsonfirereviews.com/?cat=5

There’s a lot to like about this story about a record producer reuniting with his former bandmates. The story is cleanly written with well drawn characters that resonates with the reader.
When I think mm rocker storyline I usually imagine a story featuring a twenty something twink with the gayliner, leather pants, the posturing rock star image and sexy tattoos. But the blurb on this one promised something a little different as
Aerin
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

I absolutely loved this book though I felt like I got cheated at the end. Throughout the book I felt my heart breaking for Ash and Scott and what a great relationship they let slip away, so at the end I wanted a more detailed HEA. I wanted to see how Ash fit in the daily controled life that Scotty lives now and I really wanted the author to show us all that Scott's fears of started to use coke again were not coming true. I mean wasnt the whole last third of the book about him and his
Macky
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
* 4.5 *
When I started this I was pretty convinced it was going to be a flawless 5 * review and it kind of is but for a couple of significant -enough to make me drop my rating by a half - niggles. I actually loved the story, it was different from the usual "famous rockstar in love with band mate" trope that we usually get in this type of book. It's set in Australia and the whole feel of the band is far more the grungy playing the pubs rock band than flashy, famous rock band that tends to be in th
Thomaidha Papa
4.5 Stars

Finishing this book I’m left with a sad heart and feelings of regret. This story being a romance is not good enough a description. It felt real, it was heartbreaking and it starts with such great emotions displayed right on your face from the very first chapter.
Scott King, a guitarist and producer, comes face to face with the larger, darker, scariest ghost of his past. His old band-mate, lead-singer and ex-love of his life Ash, when the latter contacts him after sixteen years.

And in a f
Kaje Harper
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This story has two parts - in the current day, Scott and Ash have been apart for 16 years after their band and their relationship imploded in a messy spiral of drugs, stress and impossible conflicts. In the middle of the book, in a section set in that past, you get to see them fall in love, and to watch how all the good parts died. How two young men who are compatible in bed, in music and in life, crash and burn on the stress of the music biz, and Scott's drug addiction.

They don't talk for 16 ye
Jess Candela
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013, m-m

I loved it and really engaged and connected with the characters. So much so, that I mostly forgave it when I encountered the Big Misunderstanding. Granted, I may have uttered a disappointed oath or two. And rolled my eyes. And groaned. And paused to consider how else the plot could have worked without the BM. But then I moved on and put it behind me, and other than that one moment it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the book.

The characters are my age, so even though I'm neither a r
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I had to request this for review as soon as I could because, hello.. rocker book! I, like many of you, just can't get enough of them and it seems like there's one every month or so that comes out (sometimes fewer, actually) and it just enough to curb my appetite until another is released. So, I started reading this as soon as I got it and it did it's job in getting me to next month's (hopeful) fix. I didn't, however, love it -- and the reasons are purely subj
Natalie
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: musicians
I mostly liked this, with a few reservations. I was a teenager during the early and mid 90s, so this story hit me in a very nostalgic place. It's well written and more realistic than other m/m music romances. I loved the early part of Scott and Ash's relationship. It felt very sweet and urgent.

I did have issues with the structure and pace, though. Perhaps this is just a matter of personal preference, but I'm not crazy about starting in the present day and then moving into an extended flashback.
Shannon
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Shaz
Shelves: aa-recommend
The flashback portion of the book kind of dragged for me but the present day story had me carrying my kindle around with me. I may have weeped a little bit and I may have wanted to punch them a little bit which only made me love it more!
orannia
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2014
Four and three quarter stars. Before I begin this review I want to make it clear that I am friends with the author. Good friends. I have tried very hard to not let that friendship influence my thoughts on Metal Heart, but I feel it best to disclose the friendship and let each of you decide for yourselves whether my review justifies the rating :)

Metal Heart is a book of two parts, well...three if you count the prologue. In the prologue we meet the Scott of 2011; we then follow him down memory la
Andrea
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
What do I want when I read a rocker romance? Sex, drugs and rock & roll… of course. Seriously though, I do want to read about their lavish lifestyle. I want to see the crazy antics, the excess, and the jaded stars. Metal Heart has exactly what I wanted.

It begins with a phone call asking Scott to do a reunion concert with the band he hasn’t seen in 16 years. The band had a nasty break up, but that was nothing compared to the break up of Scott and the lead singer, Ash. Scott knows he has to do the
Whitney
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-acting-art
I quite liked this. It did take me a bit to get into. I think most of it had to do with reading other reviews and was apprehensive about it. I was expecting the worst, but it actually wasn’t bad like I feared.

This book was so very Australian. That's not a criticism, I swear. I knew a few colloquialisms, even though I’m american. I had no idea of the distance between cities and towns/suburbs, so when they traveling to different places I just went with it.

I do feel like there was more telling than
Rochella
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, music, glbt, ebook
I read this book fairly quickly. I started reading it yesterday and kept reading without a break. It then was 1.30 am and I was still reading, only needed to read another 50 pages, but knew I really needed my sleep. So first thing today I finished the book. It doesn't happen that often to me that I feel the need to keep reading a book.

The story starts at present time with Scott getting a phone call from Ash. In the beginning you don't know much of the characters mentioned and what their relation
Nic
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story!

It was emotionally involving from the very beginning, with both main characters so easy to love. It was fascinating to get to know Scott and Ash in their early twenties, before fame and to then see them in their forties. The impact of their parting was obvious, how they had moved forward and changed but not forgotten one another.

The sense of anticipation in the first half of the book was enormous, I was nervous and tense knowing something big was going to happen, so
Shaz
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shaz by: Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Shelves: mm, musicians
I love a good rocker book! And this one definitely lived up to my definitions of good. It had all the bits I love: imperfect characters, tension (sexual as well as other), and great story-telling. This had it all in spades. The fact that it's set in familiar surroundings definitely helped as well lol.

But one of the greatest tells of how much I loved it is that I couldn't put the book down and ended up reading till the wee hours of the morning. Scott and Ash just grabbed me and wouldn't let go!
jules0623
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anke
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a captivating read, once I was into it I couldn't stop reading. Nevertheless, something was missing for me and I can't put my finger on it. I have to read some other reviews to perhaps finding out what it is.

Katharina
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
4.5

This is my second Meredith Shayne story and I'm finally irrevocably hooked. I loved Whitewater when I read it, but I never thought about going through the rest of Shayne's book list for some reason - boy, am I going to change that now.

There is something in the way Shayne writes that calls to me, something raw and honest and unadorned. It's not funny or overly dramatic or exciting in the adrenaline-pumping way. And yet, when I read her stories I get drawn in almost instantly, am a part of eve
Whitney
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-acting-art

This book was so very Australian. I knew a few colloquialisms, even though I’m american. I had no idea of the distance between cities and towns/suburbs, so when they traveling to different places I just went with it.

I do feel like there was more telling than showing. But at the same time, I
SueM
Written by an Aussie now living in New Zealand, this story takes place in Sydney, Australia. Scott - a record producer and feature/sessional guitarist - was a member of a prominent 90s rock band that briefly hit the high times until fame and fortune ripped the band apart.

This story is told in two timelines; the present where Scott is asked to reunite with his old bandmates for a benefit performance; and the past, where the reasons for Scott's reluctance to reunite with the old band is slowly rev
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
3.5 stars. (view spoiler) ...more
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My emotions are so all over the place that I'm almost speechless. I can count on one hand how many books have affected me that way. The relationship between Ash and Scott is beautiful and heartbreaking and frustrating, but they're so young that they just don't know how to focus on it with everything else that goes with being an up and coming rock star. Everyone wants a piece of them, drugs and alcohol are freely given and consumed. The crash of both their relationship and the band made me cry. I ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
In search of book 2 5 Oct 16, 2017 08:35AM
Dreamspinner Press: Metal Heart by Meredith Shayne 2 31 Jan 30, 2013 01:48PM

• Twisted and Tied (Marshals, #4)
  • Angel (Fallen Angel, #3)
  • Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • Spring Strings
  • Pop Star (Famous, #1)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Locked Heart (Famous)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Viper (Fallen Angel #2)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Fighting Silence (On the Ropes, #1)
  • A Little Bit like Love (South Haven, #1)
  • Divine Proportion (Criminal Intentions: Season Two, #6)
  • Enemies of the State (The Executive Office #1)
  • Good Boys (The Solomon Mysteries, #1)
  • Bossy
  • Jag (Pandemic Sorrow, #1)
A scientist in a past life, these days Meredith Shayne mainly uses her scientific training to poke holes in television pseudoscience. Originally from Australia, she moved to New Zealand a few years ago and hasn't regretted it for one minute, even if she frequently wishes that the New Zealand weather was a little better. Meredith travels a lot, so much so that she has developed a shameful love of a ...more

News & Interviews