Start by marking “De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw” as Want to Read:
De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw

De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw

Twee groepjes ontdekkingsreizigers ondernemen een expeditie naar 'het verste punt van de beschaving'. Wie arriveert het eerst, het groepje met Summerfield, Johns en Cook? Of toch de groep met Thegn, Tostig en Guthrum? Lang blijft in het ongewisse wat precies het doel is van deze expeditie, die zich afspeelt in een onduidelijke periode van de geschiedenis. Tot op een dag de ...more
Published September 20th 2005 by Podium (first published September 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw

Start your review of De verkenners van de Nieuwe Eeuw
Perry Whitford
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arch Humorists.
What a sly little book this is!

On the face of it a rather old fashioned tale of The Gentlemen vs The Players, as two bands of explorers race each other to an "Agreed Furthest Point" of undiscovered wilderness, much as Scott and Amundsen had competed to reach the South Pole in the early years of the 20th century.

The imaginary British contingent here are typically amateur, consisting of willing yet naive "what oh!" volunteers, whilst the Scandinavian party is rigorously scientific, yet
Christian Schwoerke
Re-read July 2019, with some additional comments:

The unconsciously, naively hearty and jingoistic narratives of the five explorers represented in Beryl Bainbridge’s The Birthday Boys reminded me of this Mills novel. When I re-read, I saw immediately how the same flat, dead-pan complacent faith in Empire, industry, and fair play had been employed in both books to reveal internal, deconstructive flaws in the very fabric of the protagonists’ implicit cocksure attitudes.

Of course, Mills goes one
Chrystal
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description for this book is all wrong (on the book jacket as well). This is not at all about the age of Shackleton or Perry. This, like all MM's books, is a social satire. Time and place are never relevant in his books, and in fact, never mentioned. What matters is how people mindlessly go about their lives, usually because society has decided on how a scheme must be followed, whether it has any practical value or not (as in "The Maintenance of Headway" and "The Scheme for Full ...more
Isabel (kittiwake)
'Now is this rope quite secure at the other end?'
Thegn assured him that it was, and then Thorsson was asked to bring up the first mule from the camp at Lintel Rock. Meanwhile, Thegn was sent back along the ropeway with a secondary line. The moment Thorsson arrived with the mule, Snaebjorn seized it by one ear and forced it to the ground. Quickly it was trussed up and rendered immobile, then slung under the rope and hauled across the river. Guthrum had joined Thegn on the far bank and was charged
Ben
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ben by: Chris Miles
Quite a funny little book: I mean that both in the sense of "haha" and also "a little bit odd." The story starts as familiar sort of exploration into unfamiliar lands and I was expecting it to largely continue in that vein.

Around half way things become a little different. It would spoil your enjoyment of the book to discuss the plot development in any degree of detail, but suffice it to say it's quite a fascinating and gradual change in direction.

My one complaint is the book is almost too short
Veronica
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Veronica by: Nicola
Shelves: fiction
I don't get it. Well, yes, I can see what he's doing and the way the twist is revealed halfway through is very, very clever. I thought I'd figured out what the point of the expedition was, but I'd only grasped one aspect of it. The book didn't make me smile, and I definitely didn't laugh: the deadpan style is just too deadpan, the dialogue too flat and absurd.

For some reason it reminded me of Jose Saramago's Blindness, I suppose because of the dystopian bleakness and the flatness of the
Jason James
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books, where you can find out about a person from their experience of it. Read a few of the reviews which have been posted, and you soon get a feel of the different personalities of the reviewers. Some can peel away the layers like an onion, whilst others see just a plain adventure yarn with a confusing and frustrating seam of fantasy. A truly clever book, I think you'll find what you're looking for, if you don't, then that's probably just as well, because it hints at a ...more
Tobias
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2016
One of Mills's better books, I'd say -- and with a plot that goes to some unexpected and unsettling places.
Burymeinsmoke
Hugely disappointing. Like Magnus Mills doing a Magnus Mills impression. Badly. Akin to Chuck Palahniuk's fall from grace (though Pygmy was back to form).
Tony
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, own-loanable
Mills' first two books (The Restraint of Beasts and All Quiet on the Orient Express) are among my all time favorites, however, his last two (Three to See the King and The Scheme for Full Employment) were deeply disappointing. This latest brief novel has many of the Mills' hallmarks, such as sparse deadpan prose, black humor, and an almost entirely male cast, but ultimately falls more into the disappointing category.

The story is built around a kind of pastiche of the 1911 "race" to the South Pole
Joost
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was quite an awkward novel. Initially it read as an adventure story, but slowly it turned into one of the most astonishinhly absurd adventures imaginably. It reminded me of the Peary/Amundsen race tot the south pole, as well as the Dutch writer Hermans' 1966 novel "Beyond sleep".
I am so curious for the interpretations of my book club lads who have read it too. What philosophical lesson cn be learnt from this book? Never to trust a mule?
Hugo
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a fascinating little pastiche, contrasting two teams of explorers - scientific and rational Scandinavians, bumbling and very proper British - as they set off on a vague and ill-defined exploration into a wilderness. A magnificent little turnaround halfway sets the whole book on another tack. Quite beautifully done.
Andy Weston
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a type of reimagining of the Scott-Amundsen race to the Pole. It isn’t classic Mills, it belongs to the quirky and dry (not laugh out loud) humour category, in the ilk of Three to See The King and The Field Of The Cloth Of Gold . I’m a huge Mills fan and loved it.
Anfenwick
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I thought Explorers of the New Century was just going to be a satire on the subject of scientific expeditions. You know, the styles and levels of organization, the clash of personalities, the competitive machismo and posturing (or wholesome, manly attitudes, depending on your point of view), the arbitrary goal, with the elusive Agreed Furthest Point (from civilization) and the unspecified date and location underscoring the abstract nature of the story.

All that is there… except the goal… the
David Nelson
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a little hard to talk about this slim book without giving it all away; it might suffice to say that it's sorta-kinda about a Shackleton-esque race to the Agreed Furthest Point, but that's a lot like saying running a marathon is about transporting a pair of shoes 26 miles. Without tipping the plot or telegraphing a startling (and mind-bending) mid-novel reveal, I'll say this: Mills does an exemplary job of buttonhooking the reader into compassionately identifying with stand-ins for history's ...more
Chasquis
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a soupçon of Dad's Army, a pinch of Star Trek and a massive dose of whaaaat???? and behold the novel for our shortening days, our latter years and our wandering minds. There is a clear picture to focus on here but the blasted horizon keeps shifting ever further away (and the scree.) This piece is about survival in a harsh and intemperate climate. Niggles there are but the spirit (stove) triumphs in the end. No spoilers should ever spoil this story, it is solid, a march in fiction towards ...more
Mr Buchanan
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed my previous Mills expeditions - Restraint of Beasts, Scheme for Full Employment - I was impressed by the way he has forged onward into new territory here. Opening as a pastiche of the Scott/Amundsen race to the pole, it will gradually dawn on the reader that something is rotten in this dark fictional landscape. Suffice to say that the truths eventually unleashed in its second half make Explorers a genuinely perturbing read, which will have you retracing your steps at ...more
Anna
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, hilarious, fable
I blazed through this magnificently deadpan little novel. At first it seems like straightforward exploration story, gently mocking the 'gentlemen explorers' of Victorian times. More than halfway through, though, certain hints come together and the reader realises just what sort of satire they're really reading. The revelation is brilliantly done, throwing new light on everything that went before. The gentility of the narrative suddenly appears transformed. Don't worry, I wouldn't be so cruel as ...more
Bookman8
A strange allegory. Modeled after Polar explorations of Shakelton, et al, two groups of explorers try to get "mules" to the AFP(Agreed Upon furthest Point), while traveling through a wateland, and each group trying to be the first to arrive at the AFP.

About midway through the book, you discover that the mules sing; a little further on you discover they have hands, and you realize that they are "people." This is an alternative universe which addresses differnces in humanity, by exiling the the
Alex
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-general
Some books are just plain weird and this is one such. For a start the reader really needs a preliminary knowledge of the Scott & Amundsen Antarctic expeditions of 1911/12 and the tensions and rivalries that existed both between and within the two polar parties to fully appreciate this playful pastiche of those events.
That said, I'm not entirely sure what the author's point was in writing it and the added twist in the closing chapters would lead me to suggest he should have added a touch
Henry
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gumble's Yard
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Probably Mill’s weakest novel – a mix between a pastiche of the Scott/Amundsen race to the pole and a weak allegory of slavery/ethnic cleansing which never really works other than in suggesting how in two different societies (the well intentioned, but muddling “English” and the more efficient “Nordics”) society can organise itself around something abhorrent which nevertheless becomes an essential part of that society and one that they morally rationalise.
Todd Stockslager
Odd short novel that starts out as a very spare telling of what appears to be a 19th-century polar expedition, but turns into an allegory, apparently of racism and slavery and how to deal with its aftermath.

The first of two books (see the review of David Masiel book The Western Limit of the World: A Novel) I picked based on the cover and the title, risking the old cliché; cliches have a core of truth.

This book left me more puzzled than disappointed.
Jen
Aug 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The surprise did not come as a surprise to me, but then again I read a lot of sci-fi. This was a fast read but I can't really recommend it. I would have loved a setting or a description of the characters, or a more satisfying conclusion; the book is 99% dialogue.
Jerome
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the whole thing silly. If there was a point it missed me completely. The only reason I picked it up was because there was some reference comparing it to Franz Kafka, which I enjoy reading, on the flap. No such luck.
Kevin Shannon
curious little read, still trying to figure out the allrgorical meaning..If you like this sort of bbook may I recommend Replay by Ken Grimwood, similar in intent,, I think, not in story, but definitely in the category of books that make onr ponder.
da-wildchildz
Explorers of the New Century puts you amongst the action from the word go, which at first left me bewildered but as soon as I’d caught up with what was happening, this turned out to be almost as amusing as Magnus Mills’s genius of a novel, The Restraint of Beasts.
Scot
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strange one from Magnus Mills. Around two thirds of the way in the book shifts focus and wrong foots the reader. Again one is left feeling like you are reading about our own world but slightly out of focus. The future? The past? Parallel world somewhere?
Val
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A group of explorers set off to reach the point of inaccessibility. They have a lot of trouble with the mules carrying their baggage. This is part homage and part pastiche of Victorian and Edwardian exploration literature, and very funny.
Carolin
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
It took me ages to get into this but I enjoyed other Magnus Mills books and was reading this with a friend, so kept reading. About two thirds in it finally got my full attention and if was worth it. A good adventure (and more) story.

• The Cockroach
  • Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • Last Boat to Camden Town
  • Ayoade On Top
  • Thief of Time (Discworld, #26; Death, #5)
  • Flicker
  • Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains
  • Middle England (Rotters' Club, #3)
  • Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe
  • Waiting for the Barbarians
  • Ice
  • The Sea Came in at Midnight
  • Sweet Home
  • Hearing Secret Harmonies (A Dance to the Music of Time, #12)
  • The Fog
  • Our Spoons Came from Woolworths
  • The Better World of Reginald Perrin (Reginald Perrin, #3)