Start by marking “The Moon and More” as Want to Read:
The Moon and More

The Moon and More

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  33,396 Ratings  ·  3,158 Reviews

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophistica
Paperback, International Edition, 436 pages
Published June 2013 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Moon and More, please sign up.
Caitlyn "Books Are My Life" Baker
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling
Ever since I succumbed to peer pressure and read The Truth About Forever, I've been a fan of Sarah Dessen's. I know there are readers who dismiss her books as being too boring or too girly, and it's true that it's hard to pinpoint anything hugely dramatic that happens in her books plot-wise. But that's exactly what I like about her novels--they're about nothing and yet absolutely everything at the same time.

In the summer before college, Emaline is working at her family's vacation rental in the b
Lux
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Reading:
I love Sarah Dessen, but did not love The Moon and More. The last 30 pages were better than the first 400, and I feel kind of guilty writing that. Oh well. Win some, lose some, doesn't really matter! Her books will always hold a special place in my heart.

Before Reading:
I get stupidly excited every time a new Sarah Dessen book is announced. I only hope the cross-over characters are a little more interesting this time! I’m also hoping we see Jason again, I’m so curious about him.
Laura Newcombe
This? When? How? THISWHENHOW?! Oh. My. God. *faints*
"That's All" Ash
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo download-5.png

Sarah Dessen \Sa-rah Des-sen\ ; noun : the reason why I failed Algebra II in high school.

No hard feelings or anything.

She’s just that badass.

What’s so kickass about this Sarah Dessen is that she doesn’t put her heroines on this high pedestal for us to read about and want to be like. Instead, she creates heroines who we can relate to . Her characters are flawed, and they probably can’t take down an entire city of villains, and they don’t always have perfect hair.

And I fucking love it!

photo 16101126.jpg

Emal
Iffath
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
me on sarah dessen:
description

me when i heard about this:

I CAN'T FREAKIN' CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT YOU GUYS PLZ SEND HELP

title one: The Best Ever After
title two: Someone Else's Summer
title three: The Moon and More

emma
WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY IS THIS.

The literal synopsis of this book is "Girl dates intolerable boy for 400 pages before realizing boy is intolerable. Book ends."

IT IS SO PAINFUL TO READ AHHHHH.

Sarah Dessen why would you do this to me.

Also later on in the book, said intolerable boy says "You're not just any other girl" (the ugly stepsister of "not like other girls") and our lovely protagonist is all wow........I really needed 2 hear that. So tru.

Basically even the good thing o
Kaitlin Reads
Jun 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Giselle
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
As my first Sarah Dessen novel I was a little worried as it seems people either love her books or don't, so it's a relief that I fall in with her fans. The Moon and More is an especially perfect beach read. It's lighthearted, it's fun, with a great summery atmosphere, and it has enough emotion to keep you fully immersed.

This book is not really about anything at all (and I say this in a positive light), or some may say it's about everything; it's about growing up. It spans one summer in Emaline'
Let this one be more original than her last two books, please God I'm begging you. Sarah Dessen's way of recycling past material (and lines!) makes me quite weary of her sometimes. I hope this one is a little more fresh.
Aimee
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This sounds exactly like the same plot that Dessen uses in mostly all of her works -_-
[image error]

[image error]
Generally, the parents are divorced/one of them has remarried and has kids, both/one are academically demanding, one is dominantly absent, etc. The protagonist is an outsider to whatever small town she moves into, she meets a different, cute boy who has a side that only SHE gets to witness.
Really, Dessen? Really?
Kingsley would not approve.
Whatever. We'll see how "The Moon and More"
Cara
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YES PLEASE!

This was my first reaction when I first heard that the impeccable Dessen was coming out with another book. Through many months and many title changes I awaited this book. I even past my most grueling semester yet and I would think, "Don't worry you'll get to read soon." And guess what book was on top of my to-read list? Yup, this one.

Emaline (I'm soooo tempted to type that name with two m's) lives in the beach town of Colby and we find her during the summer before she is to start col
Pinky
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed reading this book but it wasn't my favorite, if I had to choose which one I liked best by Sarah Dessen. I don't know why, but I had a hard time warming up to one of the characters. And it bothered me through out the story because of the fact that he was one of the characters that we see often in a book. But althoug
Jane
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-quite-there
ARGH I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THIS BUT SCREW IT I'M GIVING THIS TWO STARS.

Before all you loyal Sarah Dessen fanatics fans hurl me out of the fan club and toss my "SARAH FOREVER" badge into the garbage bin, hear me out, okay?

"Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough."

Yeah yeah, so what's the number
Kirsten
I can't wait! I've read all of Dessen's books, and I can tell you, she is my all-time-favorite-author!!! :3
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

The Moon and More has a lot to love, but it's very different from a typical Dessen novel. I think, by now, we've all come to expect a certain type of book when we hear the name Sarah Dessen. Obviously contemporary with a heavy dose of character development, beautiful settings, and swoon. Not to mention rich secondary characters and always, always, always growth, if not self-discovery. And it's a formula that works, every time. While I am thrilled that Dessen chose to veer off fr
Taylor Knight
This is only my second Sarah Dessen book so I wasn't sure what to expect. And while I liked this book a lot, I didn't love it like I did Just Listen.

The Moon and More started out really great but I felt it became pretty slow early on. It's fairly large book, around 450 pages, and I felt like quite a bit could have been cut out. There was a lot of backstory and at times, I really didn't care about it.

I liked Emaline a lot but I didn't really care for either of the boys. And because I couldn't fa
Arlene
"The thing is, you can’t always have the best of everything. Because for life to be real, you need it all - good and bad, beach and concrete, the familiar and the unknown, big talkers and small towns…"

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen marks her newest YA contemporary release, which I was absolutely elated to get my hands on. I’ve been reading Dessen’s books for years, and I truly enjoy her writing, characters and beachside settings. To be able to jump into The Moon and More was sheer bliss, and
Kelsey
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: I got the book yesterday and immediately cracked it open and began to read. Sarah Dessen's words enticed me as always to the point where I never looked at the number of pages or cared how far I was into it. It was a bit different than her other books and I'm still not sure if I like that. It wasn't like Dreamland (my favorite by Sarah Dessen, I wish she would write another one like it), but it didn't follow her usual boy meets girl line. I still thought it was good, but it was one of my ...more
Brenna
How come no one told me there was a new Sarah Dessen book coming out sooner?!

*twiddles thumbs*

*checks calendar*

Update: Just finished! I liked this one - it actually is fairly different from most of Sarah Dessen's other books which is nice :) But it isn't one of my favourites by her either.

---

Guys, I have been reading Sarah Dessen for FOREVER. I grew up on her books, and because of that I feel like I've been stalking her newest release ever since I heard about it... over a year ago. Believe me,
Thomas
Queen Dessen, Empress Dessen, and Rock Star of YA Realistic Fiction Dessen - all titles I whispered while reading this book, usually after the words "bow down to..." After ten previously published novels, Sarah Dessen still has that signature prose style of hers - just enough telling and showing to suck you in while establishing back story, a setting that sits in the back of your mind when you close your eyes, and characters that you can believe in.

The summer after her senior year, Emaline has o
Sweet Dreams
Lo cierto es que me he llevado una sorpresa con este libro. Ha sido una mezcla de sensaciones importante. Justo cuando pensaba que me iba a dejar indiferente, en el momento en el que más necesitaba que la historia fuera distinta, que se alejara de los tópicos, ¡bum! Todo ha pegado un giro que no he visto venir. Ha conseguido que cierre el libro con una sonrisa y me ha hecho pensar. Creo que Sarah Dessen siempre deja alguna cosita especial dentro de sus libros, una perlita.
Georgia
NEW SARAH DESSEN BOOK, SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Update 26/6/13:

This was so good! Loved it, loved it, loved it <3

Update 9/11/12:

Ooooh pretty cover! Sarah Dessen has such pretty covers <3
And, you know you're a prestigious author when your name's bigger than the title of the book. ;)

Annie
Jun 18, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i love her books! i really do but...
ENOUGH WITH THE SUMMER ROMANCE!!!
i just want more masterpieces like Dreamland :O
Aly
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Sarah Dessen's books is that while there is some romance, there's also family and friendship relationships that are as important, if not more. Emaline is sorting out her relationship with her father, who keeps hurting her and is selfish. She's also starting to understand her mom's position and want of a better life for her. I also like that even though there aren't sequels of her books, the author still gives us little glimpses of past characters, so they link tog ...more
Annabel ♥
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATED 6/27/13

So I reread this, because I really hate to post a review with any kind of negativity in it when its Sarah Dessen, and let me just say, it was AMAZINGGGG! I can't believe i didn't enjoy it more the first time. I'd give this book 5 stars my second time reading it, so I'm averaging the two, hence the 4 stars :) I'll post a full review if I have time.

Now onto my slightly more negative first review (I don't agree with half of these things anymore, just saying )

You can find this rev
Lexi
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So here's the thing, I actually am a fan of Sarah Dessen. The Truth About Forever is one of my favorite summer books. But this book really missed the mark for me. In this book, Dessen seemed to attempt a little more subtely than her typical sad girl meets dreamy boy who changes her life. Instead, the protagonist, Emaline, deals with two relationships, one her high school sweetheart, the other the tourist from the city. The book tries to tackle the question, how do you move forward without abando ...more
Natalia
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Most of the story was okay, but it was nothing special. However the ending really made up for that. That wasn't the typical contemporary YA romance ending. The main character doesn't end up with neither of her love interests. But it is still a happy ending. I love that here the main character doesn't need a boy to be happy. I love the sweet and cute books, in which the characters end up together, but it is really refreshing to see a heroine, which realizes that a boy isn't everything and has her ...more
Liviania
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.J. Jacobs can try to dub realistic YA novels "GreenLit" all he likes; those of us who actually read the genre know DessenLit would be more accurate. Sarah Dessen is one of the queens of the genre, and she didn't get there by writing bad books. THE MOON AND MORE isn't one of her more romantic novels, but Emaline is a memorable heroine with an absorbing story.

(Please note that the above paragraph is not a knock on John Green. I love his novels too.)

Emaline is highly competent and not very flexib
Sara Cantador
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
4'5/5
Me ha encantado volver a Colby, con una historia similar a Along for the ride, con el cual disfruté cada una de sus páginas. Con una historia sencilla, aunque apenas haya giros, sorpresas o acciones impactantes, pero que posee una narración cuidada, consigue trasladar al lector al verano eterno de sus libros. Los personajes son reales, creíbles y sufren su pequeña evolución, siempre aportando su lección en la vida al final. Un libro totalmente recomendado.
Vir
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un 3,5 en realidad

Te daré las estrellas y mucho más no es la novela que más me ha gustado de Sarah Dessen debido, sobre todo, a lo poco que disfruté con la relación amorosa y lo desaprovechados que están los secundarios, pero aún así es una lectura fresquita, divertida y con un buen mensaje. Además, siempre es un placer leer algo de esta autora.

2018 Beyond the C...: The Moon and More 1 1 Jun 07, 2018 10:02AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - Restarting April 6th 2018 69 198 Apr 13, 2018 09:31AM
UCAS English 10 H...: March Reading Assignment 1 2 Mar 13, 2018 05:45PM
  • Right of Way
  • The Lucy Variations
  • Over You
  • Five Summers
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Things I Can't Forget
  • The Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • You Look Different in Real Life
  • How I Lost You

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Life is long. Just because you don't get your chance right when you want or expect it doesn't mean it won't come. Fate doesn't punch a time clock or consult a schedule.” 131 likes
“The truth was, there was no way everything could be the Best. Sometimes, when it came to events and people, it had to be okay to just be.” 107 likes