Start by marking “1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off” as Want to Read:
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  3,431 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
"QI" is the smartest comedy show on British television, but few people know that we're also a major legal hit in Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Africa and an illegal one on BitTorrent.

We also write books and newspaper columns; run a thriving website, a Facebook page, a Twitter feed; and produce an iPhone App and a sister Radio 4 programme.

At the core of what we do is
ebook
Published 2012 by Faber and Faber Ldt

To ask other readers questions about 1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I used to be a boghandler, that's 'bookseller' in Danish. If there are enough diamonds in the world to give everyone a cupful, why are they so expensive? Did you know Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, married Oscar Wilde's first girlfriend? There's a joke in there somewhere, I know it.

The point is, these 1,227 QI Facts are eye-opening, hilarious and just plain weird. Trivia isn't for everyone but this is a great toilet or coffee table book, something you can dip in and out of whenever the mood t
B J Burton
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy the QI programme, you'll love this fantastic collection of the weird and the wonderful. I got it in the Kindle format for the bargain price of 20p and read it all the way through without stopping. Now I'm going through it again reading out loud to anyone who'll listen. One point is that this is probably better bought in the print format as it's the perfect coffee table book; your friends will enjoy dipping in - but they'll have trouble putting it down.
Joey Woolfardis
[First Read: 25th December, 2012. Four Stars.
Second Read: 25th March, 2018. Three Stars.]

QI is one of the most popular British comedy panel shows. It's intellectual prowess is unrivalled, as is its humour.

1227 QI Facts to Blow Your Socks Off does exactly what it says on the tin: a book full of (1227) facts that are simultaneously wonderful, funny, intriguing and down-right weird. A wonderful book to dip in and out of. It's not set out in any kind of order: there are no themes or sections, it's
Selena Beckman-Harned
Loved it! I thought a book of facts would bore me after awhile and I'd want to read something else, but I tore right through. The way it's organized is almost poetic!
Nikki
I have a weakness for books like this. It's really just a list of facts, some more fascinating than others. The most memorable ones of course involve penises (Kinsey could insert a toothbrush into his, bristle-end first; barnacles can have penises up to 20x longer than their body) and such things. Many of them will be familiar from even a few episodes of QI (I recognised a handful from the most recent series, anyway), and some were unfortunately also very familiar to me from Mark Forsyth's The H ...more
Lala Məmmədova
Özümə maraqlı gələn faktları sitatlara əlavə etmişəm və sayları cəmi 43-dür. Ara-sıra maraqlı idi, təkrarlar da gözdən yayınmadı. Muzey faktov səhifəsini ardıcıl oxuyursan sanki. Kitabın formatı onsuzda belə olacağını xəbər verirdi, ona görə gözlənilməz birşey yoxdur. Oxuyun, özünüzü ağıllı göstərib hamının zəhləsini tökmək üçün ideal vasitədir.
Gerry
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting!

Fascinating facts about practically everything are included in this very readable volume. Because it is QI-based, one can assume that everything within the covers is genuine but one would be forgiven for wondering whether some of the facts are spoofs (of course, they aren't). But one could always consider Mark twain's quote, 'Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.'

For instance, did Sylvester Stallone really clean out lion cages before becomi
Stacey (prettybooks)
A great book to read before bed!

The average pencil can write 45,000 words, or a single line 35 miles long.

George W. Bush named The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle as his favourite childhood book. It was published when he was 23 years old.
Denise
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2015
Fascinating and fun facts about pretty much anything and everything.
Jess
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
None of the facts "blew my socks off" but they were amusing/interesting. Some of the facts I liked where:
Some Pigs suffer from Mysophobia, the fear of mud.
Thomas Edison's last breath is held in a vial at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit.
In 2011, cheese was the most stolen food in the world.

Dan Smith
Jan 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a disappointment. Not because I expected it to be a little more organised, like the other QI books I've got (not yet finished), and not because it is frankly a bit of a bog book. No, I was disappointed because the "facts" came nowhere near to blowing my socks off.

I may have become jaded, but revelations such as "In 2010, YouTube was watched 700bn times, but 99% of the views were of only 30% of the videos" were humdrum and unsurprising. "only 2% of women describe themselves as b
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
As per usual, QI is very good in the sock removal department. I always adore the books QI put out, each with new and odd facts and figures you never knew you never knew, or ever needed to know for that matter. This is a quicker book to get through, filled with short snippets of information rather than the pages and paragraphs of previous books. I think John Lloyd mentioned in the introduction the lay out it similar to reading poetry, and it is. Each fact is centred and broken up into 3 or 4 line ...more
charlottebibliophile
As far as a book of facts goes, this book covered an interesting selection. There were sections on the etymology of words from many different languages, and facts about people, places, animals and artefacts. They all linked together excellently, usually bouncing off the previous fact - for example "Asteroid 1,227 is called Geranium" leads to "The ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums" - thankfully that's where the geranium related facts end.
Unfortunately, very few facts (precisely zero in fac
Elle
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I absolutely adore random facts so when I saw this book I couldn't resist. It is an absolutely fantastic collection of facts that range from ridiculous, hilarious and really educational. I couldn't recommend it more for anyone who likes to know random things about our world and it is also great for those pub quizzes!
Amy Joynes
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this on Kindle for 20p and its brilliant. Definitely worth reading though its not one of those books you can read on you're own. You end up having to tell someone, anyone that you can find what fact you just read.
Marcus
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book of facts. I could not put it down until I finished reading it. Some seem so unbelievable that you want to fact check them. When you do, you seem shocked that they are all true!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Cheyenne Blue
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-fun
Another random kindle. Loosely grouped trivia taken from the QI quiz show. Not the sort of thing to read as a book, more the sort of thing that sits in the toilet to be opened at random and enjoyed.
Michelle
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very huh!-worthy.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I can't help myself, I love random fact books. I thought this was a good one, and I certainly learned a lot.
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The average house cat is faster than Usain Bolt." Fun little book, endlessly useful for annoying a spouse while he/she is trying to do something else.
Rachel
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting facts indeed! I liked the way they did all poetically come together in the way they were ordered -- we can draw so many connections between the lines themselves.
Krollo
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and interesting read, full of wonderfully repeatable soundbites. It never ceases to amaze.
Nick
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowledge!
Ashley
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked a lot of the facts. A few I thought were off. For example: a Smoug is defined as a small, unimportant Scottish person. It's better defined as a Scottish word for a small, unimportant person. Another; Oprah is said to be the misspelling of Orpah, Ruth's sister in the Bible. Orpah is in the Bible, though she is Ruth's sister in law. Whether or not they are sisters isn't mentioned.

Facts I liked:
-The speed of wind has fallen by 60% in the last 30 years.
-Wars kill more civilians than soldie
Mommooshka
This is a fun, little book to pick up for short periods of time and read a few pages. It contains lots of interesting facts from all fields, geographic areas, and subjects. There's something for everyone!
Ulduz Mammadova
Özünüzü ağıllı göstərib hamının zəhləsini tökmək üçün ideal vasitədir (c)
Claire Tyler-Smith
I bought it for a children's library and will have to put it upstairs for the teens, lots of inappropriate things for children. Pity.
Vickie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title states, interesting facts!
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
I absolutely adore QI. The show was my go-to distraction on days I didn't feel up to moving around while I was pregnant. So I jumped on the books the second I realized they existed. Thank you for that one, Goodreads recommendations.

1227 Facts is filled to the brim with snippets of information, the sort you would expect to hear Stephen Fry patiently explaining to Alan Davies. Of course, being just facts, there's no real substance behind them - each fact is delivered on its own, without any of the
Katie
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
We don't watch much television in our house (probably because we don't own one) but we do rather enjoy QI, not least because of the ever charming Stephen Fry. When I spotted this book available for the Kindle for only £0.20 I couldn't resist seeing how well the format of the television programme translated into book form. It also proved an excellent choice to test drive my new ereader.

This book delighted and frustrated me in equal measure. The facts in the book are the perfect blend of the bizar
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Kindle (superlibrarian's help required!) 5 169 Jan 05, 2013 01:04PM
  • Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies
  • 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects: and Other Stuff
  • London's Strangest TalesExtraordinary But True Tales from Over a Thousand Years of London's History
  • Pop Goes the Weasel: The Secret Meanings Of Nursery Rhymes
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Bond On Bond: Reflections on 50 years of James Bond Movies
  • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish (Counterblasts #10)
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • The Story of English in 100 Words
  • The Game Of Logic
  • That Book: ...of Perfectly Useless Information
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And ...more
More about John Lloyd

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“In 2010, the BBC spent nearly £230,000 on tea, but only £2000 on biscuits.” 7 likes
“In the 1950s, to allow babies of students at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, to enter the premises, they were re-defined as cats.” 6 likes