Start by marking “Lies about My Family: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Lies about My Family: A Memoir

Lies about My Family: A Memoir

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This well-crafted family memoir is about the stories that are told and the ones that are not told, and about the ways the meanings of the stories change down the generations. It is about memory and the spaces between memories, and about alienation and reconciliation.

All of Amy Hoffman's grandparents came to the United States during the early twentieth century from areas in
Published March 20th 2013 by University of Massachusetts Press

To ask other readers questions about Lies about My Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies about My Family

nice interview with Hoffman about this book in WRB nov 2013
"her third memoir"

"Hoffman's 2 previous books -- Hospital Time 97 and
An army of ex-lovers: my life at the gay community news 2007 --
concerned the political and social movements that shaped feminists of the 2nd wave. The new book fasscinated me with its focus on immigration, assimilation, buried famly stories."

[Hoffman is editor-in-chief of WRB]
Jo Anne
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the wonderful stories in this book! The writer has a beautiful writing style as well. The author's family history is representative of many of our stories, making it very interesting. However, I just didn't find the stories to be distinctive enough to merit more than a three. Disclosure: I read a prepublication copy.
Berit Pratt
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating account of growing up in an upwardly mobile second generation Jewish family in the 50s and 60s
and the devastating ways that homophobia gets played out to render Amy invisible to her extended family and her parent's community. Wonderful vignettes of the gay rights movement told from an early insider.
This book will resonate with all baby boomers who consider themselves activists!
Maureen Stanton
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I find Amy Hoffman's voice to be charming and engaging. The book bogs down a bit with some of the family lore going back one or two generations (hard to keep track of characters), but overall an enjoyable read.
Amy Weiner
A very interesting collection of family stories. I do wish there was a better sense of order to how they were presented or arranged. Nonetheless I couldn't stop reading glasses them.

As a lesbian and a jew, I found parallels to my own family.
Phyllis
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really can't review this book objectively because it was written by my first cousin and to a great extent it's about MY family as well as the author's. That said, I have to say that this wonderful, thoughtful book is a great read. Very highly recommended!
willowdog
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The history of the many characters of an immigrant Jewish/Russian family as told by various members of the family. Very little about lesbian author.
Cookie
Emily
Sep 29, 2017
Beth RL
Feb 17, 2018
Amy Hoffman is a writer, editor, and long-time LGBTQ community activist in Boston. She is editor in chief of Women's Review of Books and on the creative nonfiction faculty of the Solstice MFA Program at Pine Manor College. When she is not writing, she likes reading, cooking, biking, yoga, and hanging out with her friends & her spouse, Roberta Stone. Hoffman is available to visit your book grou ...more