Start by marking “All He Saw Was the Girl” as Want to Read:
All He Saw Was the Girl

All He Saw Was the Girl

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  382 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Praise for Peter Leonard's QUIVER:
"Memorable characters and dialogue - come to think of it not unlike what Leonard's father, Elmore Leonard, creates."
- Seattle Times
And for TRUST ME:
"Breathtaking is a reviewer's cliche. But it is simply the best way to describe the pace of Peter Leonard's latest offering."
- The Washington Times
And for VOICES OF THE DEAD
"If you haven't
Published May 1st 2012 by Story Plant (first published January 2011)

To ask other readers questions about All He Saw Was the Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All He Saw Was the Girl

Katy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mafia-based thrillers/suspense
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Disclosure: I received a free eGalley eBook ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Rome: McCabe and Chip, two American exchange students, are about to become embroiled with a violent street gang, a beautiful Italian girl, and a flawed kidnapping plan.

Detroit: Sharon Vanelli’s affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to be discovered by her husband, Ray, a secret service agent.

Brilliantly plotted and shot through with wry humor, All He Saw was the Girl sees thes
Ron
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of book. A contemporary guy adventure story. Several guys with converging plot lines. Guys take improbable changes, enjoy improbable luck, objectify women. (Yes, there is a well-drawn female character, but the male characters react to females in their vicinity like teenagers with raging hormones.) In fact, all the male characters act like adolescents: as soon as a course of action pops into their mind, they do it. No consideration of potential downside results. Of course, it works ou ...more
Viviane Crystal
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two college students, McCabe and Chip, are students out on the town who've had a wee bit too much to drink. Chip gets the bright idea to steal an Italian taxi and enjoy a joy ride. But things don't turn out so well for McCabe. Chip's very wealthy and powerful father saves the day by rescuing his son and giving him one tongue lashing. He does succeed, however, in infuriating some mob characters in prison over a pack of stolen cigarettes. McCabe, meanwhile, is warned by the College Dean that he wi ...more
Sherry Fundin
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McCabe and Chip, a senator's son are going to school in Rome. Chip steals a taxi and they are arrested. The Senator greases some palms and they are released.

As McCabe sits at the cafe waiting to meet up with Chip and some friends, he sees "the girl". She encourages him to walk with her and when they meet up with "Fabio", who is a tough guy Mafia man he met in prison, McCabe realizes she has set him up to be kidnapped. They have mistaken him for Chip because of a mix-up in the newspapers. They ha
Jim Crocker
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
It's a fast read and a good read, too! I like everything Peter Leonard writes. Yeah, he had a great teacher and he writes about Detroit, too. I lived in old Detroit (before the fire) and I knew a few people.

When you read this novel you're gonna get hungry. These people are always eating. And when they do, they take you through the entire meal, all the way to the cappuccino. So be ready for that. And it's the kinda story you can't put down.
Brian Blocker
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was an unexpected hit for me. After a slow start -- in which I kept picking up and putting this one down -- around page 80 I suddenly got sucked in, and I found Leonard wasn't doing a standard double cross crime tale.

Initially confusing -- there's about three story lines that eventually come together -- I got hooked by Leonard's breezy writing style and slightly sarcastic style. Quip-y action flick, all popcorn and soda, this was a perfect beach read.

Charles 'Chip' Tallenger III, spoiled
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

I first received this book two years ago, it was the first book I ever agreed to review as part of a book tour and I felt terrible that I just couldn't get into it that I promised I'd give it ago at a later date.

Well this year was the later date and yet again it just didn't grip me, back then I should've known I wouldn't finish it even after time had passed but I also was very stubborn and refused
Rachel French
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a great mixture of love, action, and culture. The way the author jumps from one person's perspective to the next is exciting and allows the reader to know more about the story than the characters do. Beginning with drunk college guys crashing a taxi and heading for jail, All He Saw Was The Girl takes the reader on a thrill ride through kidnapping attempts, love affairs, and the inner workings of the Italian mafia. The reader learns of the strange ways lives can become tangled toget ...more
Jo Linsdell
Rome: McCabe and Chip, two American exchange students, are about to become embroiled with a violent street gang, a beautiful Italian girl and a flawed kidnapping plan.

Detroit: Sharon Vanelli's affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to be discovered by her husband, Ray, a secret service agent.

All He Saw Was the Girl takes place as these two narratives converge in the backstreets of Italy's oldest city.

Peter Leonard throws you straight into the action in this book and keeps the stor
Sharon
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very exciting book with lots of villains, which takes place in modern Rome.. The book also contains many facts about Rome and its history. Some of the characters do border on the unbelievable, however.
Susan
Jul 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry guys, This one was not for me.
Robert Carraher
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That rule is from Elmore Leonard’s New York Times article, “Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially Hooptedoodle”. His son, Peter certainly had memorized that rule, along with the rest, in writing this marvelous novel. The prose are terse, hard-bitten and to the point. When a story opens with the protagonist in jail, well, it’s got to be dark and hardboiled. And true to the Leonard name, its slapstick-caper-with-great-dialogue in vintage.

When American college buddies, the rich and
Kathleen
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two narratives ... two cities ... both intertwining to provide a suspense thriller that is one heck of a roller coaster ride!

William McCabe and Charles "Chip" Tallenger III are American exchange students studying abroad at Loyola University in Rome, Italy. McCabe is from Detroit, Michigan, and is on an academic scholarship, while Chip is the spoiled rich son of U.S. Senator Charles Tallenger II from Greenwich, Connecticut. While out partying one night, Chip and McCabe steal a cab and end up lock
Cheryl
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
All He Saw Was The Girl by Peter Leonard
Published by The Story Plant
ISBN-10: 1611880424
ISBN-13: 978-1611880427
At the request of The Story Plant, an ARC digital version was provided, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (from publisher):
Rome:

Detroit:
Sharon Vanelli’s affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to b
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

Disclaimers: I received an electronic form of this book for review in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not obligated to write a good review and did not receive any compensation for writing this review.

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: First of all, I love Italy, and so the second I heard this took place in Rome, I knew I had to read this one. Plus the mafia is involved...come on...how can you not read this one?

Leonard exceeded my expectations in every manner po
KyBunnies
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, blog-tour-book
At the beginning of the book I did not understand how the author was going to connect everything together. Two different cities, a handful of people and at the time it seemed like two different plots. However the author brings it all together for the reader. The author has readers hopping around the world, from the USA to Italy. This book will keep the reader entertained and wondering what is happening next.

I loved how the author included several different mafias in this book. This is not just a
Alan Williams
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A few months ago I had the pleasure to read “Voices of the Dead” by Peter Leonard. I said at the time I would be tracking down some of the authors other books, but I didn’t realise that I would be reviewing another one from Partners In Crime Tours quite so soon. I simply couldn’t resist the request for the review, but then I did wonder if it could be quite as good as Voices of the Dead. Simply put … I was not disappointed.
I couldn’t put “All He Saw Was the Girl”, down and read it in a day. Peter
Heather
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I reached the end of All He Saw Was the Girl, I closed the book with a smile. While there were a few slightly predictable moments, overall I really enjoyed the book. The action is nonstop, and the suspense builds and builds as the story progresses. It’s fast-paced and great entertainment.

The characters were, as a whole, interesting. The mobsters, with the exception of the big guy in Italy, were not in the least bit sympathetic. It’s easy to root against these guys. The Don, however, has a s
Italo Italophiles
All He Saw Was the Girl is a deft crime thriller adventure story. The fast-moving story is matched perfectly by the quickly-paced prose. Deftly-drawn character sketches; exotic U.S. and foreign locales; hot, trashy women; hot tough guys and gangsters; action scenes galore; a twenty-something male protagonist who surprises people at every turn: All He Saw Was the Girl is a book begging to be adapted to film.

The story is set partially in Detroit, Michigan, but mainly it is set in and around Rome,
LORI CASWELL
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Two story lines collide in All He Saw Was The Girl.

McCabe and Chip are two American college students studying abroad in Italy. A freak incident, a case of mistaken identity, and a beautiful Italian girl, lead to more than one exciting chase.

Sharon is a bored wife of a secret service agent. He is always traveling leaving her home alone. Her choice to have an affair with Joey Palermo to add a little excitement to her life may cost her dearly.

When Elmore Leonard is your father good writing is in th
gautami
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

After reading Voices Of The Dead by Peter Leonard, I decided that I was going to pick all his books. So when I was offered to review All He Saw Was the Girl, I was thrilled. I was notdisappointed at all!

I had a roller coaster ride throughout the novel. It has the ingredients of an action movie. Drug Mafia, kidnapping, car chasing, and a love story. And all that happens in Italy, that too due to a misunderstanding! One American exchange student is kidnapped by mistake and ransom is paid for him.
Dana Burgess
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Leonard has written a very different sort of book than what I've been reading lately. It took me a chapter or two to get into it because it is very stark and abrupt. From the first word, the reader is thrown into the action. There is no time to build characters or explain what is going on - that comes eventually, but it is a bit of a shocking beginning. It's kind of like being tossed into cold water: it takes a minute to get your bearings. Once the shock wears off you find that the effect ...more
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
I can, in no way summarize the plot better than the summary from Goodreads. Those few lines tell the tale very well.

The story starts off in Rome with two students who are out to have fun. But their fun night quickly turns into a nightmare that they have to live through. Chip is pulled out of trouble by his all too influential and wealthy father. McCabe on the other hand lands himself into further trouble all because of his loud mouth. He is mistaken as Chip and is kidnapped by mobsters and lured
Vicki
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like action? This book has plenty…right from the beginning.

The books starts in Rome with Chip and McCabe, two exchange students who steal a cab, try to help a girl in trouble and end up in jail. Then in Detroit, we read about Sharon Vanelli, who is married to Ray, a secret service agent. She’s having an affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer. And Ray is about to find out about it. Could things get any worse for them? Oh yeah!!

There are so many twists and surprises in this book that it
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Detroit and Italy.....what could these two cities have in common? You would be surprised.

There was a connection between the two cities, and it definitely wasn't a good connection. The connection involved murder, marital affairs, the Mafia, street gangs, and kidnappings.

The book's chapters slide from one side of the world to the other and ultimately end up in Italy along with all the characters. The characters are vividly described along with the action. You will feel the tension among the chara
Fenny
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All He Saw Was The Girl is a fast paced book with chapters switching between the two-story lines while weaving it into a climax. It is easy to read without much depth of characters. The wry humor used brings on some smiles, but gets a bit old after a while. As to the plot, there are a few nice surprises with one good twist nearer the end. I enjoyed the descriptions of Italy and Rome, which allowed me to picture the scene well.

For some reason, this book didn’t grab me as much as I expected. Using
Karen
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why I read this book...I liked the title. Not sure what I thought it was going to be, but it was a nice, fast paced crime/thriller with a couple of interconnected plots. McCabe, a kid from Detroit and attending college in Rome, goes on a joy ride in a stolen taxi with his rich friend Chip and catches the attention of the local mafia. Ray, the secret service agent who has had enough, quits his job and goes home to Detroit to find his wife is missing and the all clues lead to Rome. Overlooking the ...more
Marjorie
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first page tells you trouble is brewing.
Two university friends McCabe and Chip are enjoying their lifestyle in Italy.
One is wealthy, the other not so much.
Seeing a damsel in Distress and trying to rescue her leads to a case of
mistaken identity, because this girl has very close ties to the mafia.
Meanwhile, in the States, Ray a secret service agent lives with his wife
Sharon. She is tired of her boring life with him and hooks up with a
fella named Joey. You guessed it a member of the mob with hu
Ashley
This was a 2 character POV story they both were from the same area, ended up In the same place, but had no clue about one another and did not meet up until the last 2 pages!!!
Other then that I liked the collage kid in Italy POV, he was a guys rooted for! I wanted him. To do what he intended!! I was happy with his ending. And the Secret Service agent (view spoiler) I was not happy with the Joey P character
  • Stop & Frisk
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?: A Biography
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • Lina and Serge: The Love and Wars of Lina Prokofiev
  • The Intimate Sex Lives of Famous People
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Tim Burton's Corpse Bride: An Invitation to the Wedding
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • The Art of Sin City
  • Holding Breath: A Memoir of AIDS' Wildfire Days
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
220840
Son of Elmore Leonard.

Peter Leonard lives in Birmingham, Michigan with his wife and four children. He is a partner in the ad agency Leonard, Mayer & Tocco, Inc.
More about Peter Leonard...
“And although cars and motorcycles zipped around, all he saw was the girl coming toward him like a scene in a movie.” 3 likes
“Any time a famous rich kid screws up, people want to know about it. Makes them feel good.” 2 likes