Start by marking “Living With The Enemy: An Outline Of The German Occupation Of The Channel Islands With First Hand Accounts By People Who Remember The Years 1940 To 1945” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
During the Second World War the Channel Islands were the only part of Britain to be occupied by German forces. 'Living With the Enemy' tells the story of life on the Islands under Nazi rule, with eye-witness accounts from both islanders and German soldiers, the book gives an accurate insight into this ill-assorted community at war.
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 2002 by Starlight Pub.

To ask other readers questions about Living With The Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living With The Enemy

Bev Walkling
I was given this book by a relative who had visited the Channel Islands, and was interested in reading it to prepare myself for a visit I will be making to the Channel Islands very shortly. I had read several other books on Guernsey and Jersey before reading this one so didn't come at it with a blank slate.This book is absolutely loaded with pictures which I found fascinating and does an excellent job giving an overview of what life was like in the various Channel Islands without going too heavi ...more
Ian
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Bought this whilst on holiday in Jersey - (it being the story of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands) I thought it was pretty interesting.
 Doris Powell
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Another saga of the Channel Islands under the Nazi regime during WW2. I liked this book because it gave insights about the people--both the inhabitants of the islands and the German soldiers. The German soldiers were depicted as human, except, of course, the secret police who were just all around nasty. I especially enjoyed the ruler of the island Sark. She was autocratic, and even the Germans bowed down to her.
K.C. Finn
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book, so much more interesting than a lot of the WW2 books I've been reading because it looks very closely at the people of the islands and the human face of war and occupation. Also extremely useful research material and very in depth and compellingly written.
Brenda Schenck
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Not quite as easy or entertaining as the novels on the same topic, but still good.
Stuart Hadwin