Start by marking “Spirit Wolf” as Want to Read:
Spirit Wolf

Spirit Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond #5)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  1,804 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Faolan, a wolf once doomed to die, struggles to fufill his destiny as the leader of the wolves of beyond. No one ever saw Faolan as a leader. Banished as a pup, he survived and returned as a gnaw wolf-the lowest member of the wolf pack. But Faolan wasn't meant to be a gnaw wolf. It's not just his strange, splayed paw, or his uncanny connection with the bears. There's somet ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Scholastic, Inc.

Hana Chaney
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dolly
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the fifth book in the Wolves of the Beyond series by Kathryn Lasky.

Our oldest picked up Lone Wolf, the first book of the series, at our local library and thought she'd check it out. I'm sure she selected it because she really likes wolves. She has become enthralled with the series and has started to read the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, too.

She really likes these stories and is excited to read more of the books in the series. It's a quick read, and while the drama is a bit metaphysica
Sombra Hall
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope. That is what this book teaches you to hold onto. It sends the message that if you just hold on, you will be able to plan and prevail.
Nicholas Kane
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my favorite book in the series. The action starts from the very first page and doesn't stop until the very last. There is a lot of loss and devastation, but it isn't as desolate and bleak as it was in the last book. There are plot twists that I forgot from my first time reading the series and again they took me off guard on my second read. There are only a few things that I disliked about this book, hence the four star rating rather than a five star rating, but the good outwei ...more
Anna
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wolves
Ashley
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kahlan
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce cinquième volume du Royaume des loups reprend précisément là où le précédent s’était arrêté. Après le blizzard et la famine, voilà Faolan et ses amis confrontés à un gigantesque tremblement de terre qui détruit tout le par-delà ou presque. Face au danger porte décidément bien son titre ! Les volcans sacrés entrent en éruption, le glacier se met en mouvement, détruisant inexorablement tout sur son passage, annihilant presque toute forme de vie, et permettant aux pires résidus de l’espèce de fa ...more
Gina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn Lasky does such a great job at describing different events in Spirit Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond) because during some of the events that happened in the book I felt like I was actually there. That helped me get attached to the book and made me want to keep reading.

In Kathryn Lasky book I thought that she had described a lot of different things really well that I could picture what was happening in the book, like when Faolan, Gwynneth, Edme, Whistler, and Mhairie went out to find Bronka, T
Maddison
MY OVERVIEW
I decided to read this book because I had read the first 4 in the series, and when I read more than the first two books of a series, I like to continue until the end.

PROS
I really like Gwynneth, the rogue smith owl, because of her sensibility and intelligence. She's also very practical, and I love the way she helps the wolves when need be, and doesn't give up.

I liked how the book was an easy read, and how it was short, so I could read in one sitting.

CONS
The thing I didn't like about
Alyssa
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so Faolan and Edme and friends are still in this cold barren wasteland trying to help out the survivors. It is their duty as watchwolves to keep the peace. Then an earthquake happens that pretty much finishes off whoever survived the everlasting winter. Yah. Okay. So basically forget everything you learned about the strange wolf culture , clans, and watchwolves and whatnot because it is ALL GONE. FORGET. EVERYTHING.

This book was a lot of exposition/ set up for the last book. Sure, you lea
Brent Preece
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wolves of The Beyond Spirit by Kathryn Lasky was one book of a good series. Following a food shortage the wolves have to find their way thought a broken world. Earthquakes shake the land destroying everything they once knew. Faolan and his two sisters go out to find friends or their bodies. Which will show them their next hope for survival.

The book was one of the many great books by Kathryn Lasky. It was full of action, drama, and survival of the wolves of the beyond. It makes many character ch
Lia F
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolves of the Beyond: Spirit Wolf, Book #5
fantasy
420 pages
10/16/12

Faolan is a wolf who was born with a splayed paw. This causes him to be outcast, meant to die. But he didn't he survived. He came back as a gnaw wolf, the wolf who usually gets picked on by the others. He then grew out of that and became a watch wolf. This book takes place after the huge famine that spread across the beyond. Just after things were starting to go back to normal, huge earthquakes cause the Sacred Ring of Volcanoes
Robert Murray
My opinion- could be better. It was good, but not good enough, I believe that the earthquake was a bit silly, as an earthquake the size to destroy a volcano, it would make the volcano erupt, a tsunami would happen, and well, survival in an earthquake to destroy a few giant volcanoes would be almost one to god knows what. But I'll pass it off as this is Fantasy. But anyways, it should have been a short part in the 6th one, Star Wolf, in my opinion, why? It's really just talking about the long tre ...more
Lynn B.
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young kids only, maybe wolf lovers
Recommended to Lynn by: wolf lovers
Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions are destroying the beyond. Many animals come to die, and it's up to Faolan to lead some remaining survivors to the Distand Blue, the only possible safe place.

Spoilers!

Another WotB book that's very boring and dull. I remember even less of this one as of the previous one.
The characters are still forgetable as can be, and we've got a pretty big cast in this, so that's really a shame! Heep does return, luckily.. but then the Sark character dies. Out of an entire c
Sean Cozart
Simple to say but this one was one of my least favorites in Lasky's books. One, the series really varied off from what I had expected. The whole mystery that was revealed, I thought "Really, this is the best you can do." I was not impressed with it, in fact I didn't like it at all. Also there was a lack of action. Before this book I could finish the others within hours but I had trouble this one because there was a lack of excitement. I hope for something better in the next one, so we'll see how ...more
Daxx Jorgensen
I liked this book but i did not love it. The reason being is because i am not really into animals talking, but it was okay. Some reasons that i did like is how they went on this big journey and how it was dangerous. They are living in this land called Beyond. All of the sudden this glacier came and destroyed everything that was theirs. they have two choices stay ad die or go and follow an outsider to safety. Will Faolan convince them to follow him or not. you will have to read to find out.
Hannah
Jul 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tyler Neuhaus
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was Katherine Laskey the book was wolves of the beyond spirit wolf. This books genre was fiction and it was a somewhat mystery book. The book was about foalon and his friends ,and family were have to go away because someone took the ember of hole I believe it was. Along the way to the destiny they ran into a lot of deadly pits and other deadly things.
Olivia
Jun 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book, as it continued to delve into more Hindu ideas. Instead of focusing on the importance of castes, as in Frost Wolf, this book talked heavily about reincarnation. I read this book in hope the story might improve, but it seems that Lasky has decided to heavily base this world on Hindu beliefs.
Casey Anderson
Not my favorite of the series. And VERY dark. Death, death, death. I can hardly believe these books are written for children. There seemed to be a lot of filler, moving towards the next book. I mean, some interesting stuff but...no climax really. The only kind of one was towards the beginning. I guess there were things, I'm just not sure. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad.
Isel
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall it was a good book but I was actually a bit confused on some of it because she seemed to be going somewhere then like.. just not finished the thought or whatever. Just didn't clarify some parts when I thought it should.
Vanessa
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal
It was kind of confusing at first. The author leaped into the earth quake. The rest was amazing.This a great book is you like wolves and animals. If you are new to the series i advise you to read the first book.
Andrea
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wolf of the beyond series. Brianas favorite series. It wasn't one of my favorite books that she has written. Too long and not too much happened , it seemed like she wrote this one so that she could write another book for her long series. It is brianas favorite series so I read it.
Madeline Henricksen
"Spirit Wolf" is about a wolf named Faolan that has a splayed paw. Faolan is connected with bears and also with his sisters, Mhairie and Darlie. They go on adventures. I recommend this book to anyone that likes animals.
Lyndsay Peppers
I disliked this book.There were too many deaths.Soren in particular it said that Gwynneth saw Soren's scroom or spirit and the Sark she had a big part in Faolan's life.Kathryn Lasky is a good author but she really messed up when she wrote that Soren was dead.
Jack
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the series.
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: henry
My 9 year old son really loves this series!
Ruby
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glah!! Faolan was supposed to become the Fengo!!! Leaving the Beyond is just totally whoa. And I'm not so sure that it's a good kind of whoa...
Tracie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Can I have the next one now please?!
Jessie
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that so far this is the best book in the series and I can't wait for the next book!
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Island of Shadows (Seekers: Return to the Wild, #1)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.
She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of
More about Kathryn Lasky...

Wolves of the Beyond (6 books)
  • Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)
  • Shadow Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #2)
  • Watch Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #3)
  • Frost Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #4)
  • Star Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #6)