Start by marking “Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)

Lark Rising

(Guardians of Tarnec #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Lark has foreseen two things—she will fall for a young man with sage green eyes,and he will kill her.

Sixteen-year-old Lark Carew is happiest close to home, tending her garden and gathering herbs for medicines. But when her Sight warns her that monsters called Troths will soon invade her village, Lark is summoned on a journey to seek help from the legendary Riders of Tarnec
Library Binding, 384 pages
Published September 23rd 2014 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Lark Rising, please sign up.
Alexis They are not really similar at all. Falling Kingdom Series is through a variety of view points where everyone has their own agenda and is more dark…moreThey are not really similar at all. Falling Kingdom Series is through a variety of view points where everyone has their own agenda and is more dark and twisted and intense but still really good. Lark Rising was a lighter read, and more of a girl on a quest story, and finding her destiny. (less)
Sandra Waugh Sorry I didn't see this earlier! The Guardians of Tarnec series consists of four books, each from the point of view of a different Guardian as they…moreSorry I didn't see this earlier! The Guardians of Tarnec series consists of four books, each from the point of view of a different Guardian as they struggle to reclaim the amulets of Balance. However, the stories entwine, so you will re-meet many/most of the characters. Hope that helps :)(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
DNF at 30%

This is Lord of the Rings fan fiction written by a 13-year old Halo fangirl.

Only worse. What the fuck did I just read? This is the biggest Mary Sue I've ever encountered.

I'm gonna write the actual review when I'm drunk. I can't do this shit sober.

----

Drunk review:

“Lark! Lark!” Quin was hissing at me. “Your face! Your beautiful face! Do you sense something?”
Ok, so I'm druhk right now. I've downed 4 ounces of gin, which, in restrspcect, was kind of a bad idea, and this was origniall
Lola
I wonder if someone would agree with me on this but one pet peeve in books that I have is main characters that 'giggle.' I find it annoying, to be honest.

Really, I learned that word while reading my 2nd book ever in English, Pretty Little Liars #9 (Twisted), and, of what I remember, it was Spencer’s fault. I’m telling you, that girl can giggle! It was such an easy word to learn since it was repeated something like 60 times. Still, I try to not hold it against her that much since it’s her way of
Alyssa

Book One of the Guardians of Tarnec series
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 23, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Cait • A Page with a View
This had all the elements of a story I would normally love. It was super promising, but then... nope.

Basic plot: Lark has super special "chosen one" magic + a birthmark and learns she is one of the four Guardians of Life, so she has to go retrieve the amulet. The rest of the plot is basically like Lord of the Rings meets a bunch of other YA fantasy books.

I get that Lark's supposed to be super sensitive because she has the Sight and can read other's energy, history, and intent... but she's just t
Carla *Jen7waters*
***there will be spoilers***

Why I bought Lark Rising:

"Full of romance and nature magic, this debut fantasy is perfect for fans of Shannon Hale, Juliet Marillier, and Kristin Cashore."

And I swear I wanted to love this book and become a crazed Guardians of Tarnec fangirl but bleh... not happening. Why, you ask?

Reason #1. Boring characters, especially Lark, the heroine. She's your typical fantasy Mary Sue who thinks she's a nobody and turns out to be the savior of all the land and beyond. She just
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4.5 Stars

LARK RISING was a breathtakingly beautiful, and utterly unputdownable adventure, that will have you turning the pages faster then you can read them! The magical blend of fierce characters and unforgettable romance, intertwined with the earthly essence of the world building, and the spark of evil that thrives in background, made for one epic, thrilling story, that is sure to make it's way into many hearts.

description

I was swept into a journey of one girls awakening throughout discover of herself
Nicole
5 STARS

FIVE stars. What?!? I don’t think I’ve loved a fantasy book this hard since Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) or maybe even Daughter of the Forest. And trust me, I picked up Lark Rising with no small amount of caution.

Why I almost didn’t pick this up

(a) Lark starts off a timid and shy heroine.
(b) The writing is decidedly unmodern, flowery even.
(c) The suspiciously high number of 5-star reviews.

Why you should pick this up

1. Lark
Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with a swor
Kimberly (Book Swoon)
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the first things that grabs your attention while reading Lark Rising is the beautiful writing and world-building, both of which draw you into the story easily. From the simple and peaceful daily life Lark experiences gathering herbs and helping her grandmother in their village Merith to the rolling Hills of Tarnec where the wild horses roam free to the Dark Woods where deadly creatures and dark magic have taken over, each setting is brought vividly to life with words that capture your ima ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Omg I loved this so hard!!!! Beautiful writing, world building, and an amazing story! I adored Lark and fell in love with Gharain! And I can't wait for Evie's story in book 2!
Gail Nall
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, arc, 15ers
Everything about this book is beautiful -- the language, the cover art, the story. It's a thoroughly engrossing read. I especially loved the folklore elements, which is what I felt made the book so unique.
A.G. Howard
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Of course, that could be because it reminds me so much of Juliet Marillier's work, and she's one of my fantasy author heroes. But this book was good on its own with a strong heroine who made mistakes but learned from them, and a hero who did the same. The magic and world building drew me in and made me want to learn more. I've already bought/read the second installment of this series, and liked it even more than the first. ;)
Lisa Huber
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A LUSH ROMANTIC FANTASY TO CURL UP WITH!

I LOVED THIS BOOK! What a treasure awaits you! This is a beautifully crafted fantasy, filled with romance, suspense and a heroine of tremendous courage and heart. It is a novel to get lost in, and when you reach the end you will marvel at Waugh's lyrical prose and rich storytelling. I'm so glad this is just the first in what clearly will be a stellar series. Bring on the GUARDIANS OF TARNEC!
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Please don't mind me. I'm just glad that I got this out of my way. Thank you to Lola's review.

I managed to finish 3 chapters though.

description

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Fantasy

Series: Guardians of Tarnec, book one

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

The bottom line: A lush, gorgeous fantasy with fantastic world-building, swoon-worthy romance, magic and danger around every corner, Lark Rising completely enchanted me--highly recommended!

This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

In the gorgeous land of Tarnec, evil is commonplace. But when Lark Carew receives a sign f
Elena
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my.....
This book you guys. This book.
Lark Rising is an amazing start to a really promising series. I loved everything about it. It was SO beautifully written. I mean is this REALLY Sandra Waugh's debut novel? This woman CAN WRITE! It was unputdownable, beautiful and simply amazing.
Now to the bad parts.....I have to wait a whole year for the next book :(((((
Chris Meads
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read. I hated to put it down to do other things and always came back to it. I wished the book didn't end.

It starts out about a young girl, Lark, who has the "sight" or visions. She helps her grandmother with gathering herbs and her cousin who was born on the same day--the each have the same type mark on their shoulder. Lark has gotten three feathers which means she has been called, but she doesn't know what. She also dreams of a man who tries to kill her. Then a man from the
Monica
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Avid Reviews: http://www.avidfantasyreviews.wordpre...

It has been a long time since I have read a novel that has the elements and tone of a fairytale, but when reading Lark Rising I was suddenly transported back to my youth when my mother would read to me out of the big book of Grimm’s Fairy Tales. Lark Rising is being labeled as YA, but it felt much more like a middle grade novel, and I would definitely not recommend it to adults looking for an epic fantasy,
Kerry Cerra
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I admit I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but this book stole my heart and just might turn me into one. Lark is a wonderful heroine who sports fear, yet finds her inner courage; who prefers to stay close to home, yet finds the journey of a lifetime when a task takes her outside of her safe garden walls. This is a magical story with incredible world building and sentences so beautiful, you won't want the book to end. Lucky for all of us, this is the beginning of what promises to be a classic series ...more
Rachel
Aug 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF: read through ch.15
Alright, I give up, I'm done with this.

Maybe a 1 star is harsh, but at this point I don't even care. I've decided to be less lenient towards books that don't do anything for me and this one definitely doesn't do anything except infuriate me. I may come back to it later, but right now nope.

Aside from the piss poor, plot tumor romance (which I've detailed extensively below), we also have Lark's character, or her lack thereof, which made this book unbearable.

Girl starts off i
Erin Cashman
I devoured every page of LARK RISING. The world building is unique and so vivid – at times achingly beautiful and at other times terrifying. Lark, a timid young woman with the Sight, bravely leaves her village, her home and her family in order to save all that she holds dear. On her heart pounding journey, filled with danger, intrigue and romance, Lark learns to master her powers and face her destiny head on. LARK RISING is a beautifully written high fantasy novel that you will not be able to pu ...more
Carina Olsen
I'm unsure about this book. When I first saw that cover I knew I had to read this book. And I thought it sounded pretty awesome as well. So when I saw the details for the blog tour at Rockstar Book Tours I had to sign up. So happy to get accepted. <3 Thank you so much to Jaime for the gorgeous print review copy of it :)

But oh. This is where the heartbreaking part of it begins. As I did not love this book. I tried so hard to like it. And I wanted to, I wanted to love it so much. As I have seen
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
There was absolutely nothing remarkable about this book. There wasn't even anything that bordered on interesting.

Not once you got more information, anyway . . .

Of course it seemed like it'd be interesting in the beginning. Why would I bother otherwise? But as soon as the particulars started coming out . . . meh.

An angry and distrustful prince b/c betrayed by beautiful, EVIL woman who disguised herself as his fated one-true-love, but was really enemy #1. So (of course) Prince doesn't trust (and
&#x1f339;Rose☮️
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely YA story, finally. A book for both the younger and older teens. Such wonderful writing and strong world building using highly imaginative scenery, along with just enough romance that did not take over and overwhelm and make it the main story line.

My only little grumble would be that I wanted Lark to be a bit more strong. At times I found her floundering and weak like a babe in the woods. However perhaps that is just how she should be. Looking foward to the next book and seeing how
Jen Brooks
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of this book as a member of the Fearless Fifteeners. As the tagline for this book says, Lark has forseen that she’ll fall for an as yet unknown guy who will kill her. What I won’t spoil, but is equally important, is that she receives a second vision even more devastating. The book has the feel of a classicly done fantasy, with rich settings, magical objects, and a cast of unique characters. Lark’s suffering and strength make her an endearing character.
Reading Corner
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway
I was delighted to win this in a giveaway and it proved to be a decent book which was enriched by the high quality of beautiful writing where the descriptions easily painted an image in my head of what was going on. The opening fully immersed me into the wonderful setting of Tarnec and immediately drew me in with my growing curiosity about the setting.

Lark Carew is delightfully curious at the start and her sense of adventure is gripping. The relationship between her Grandmama, Evie and herself
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
16 year old Lark is happiest at home and because of her power of sight she cannot cope being near large crowds. But when her sight warns her that her village will be attacked by Troths soon, she has to go on a journey to seek help from the legendary Riders of Tarnec. When she find the Riders of Tarnec, she realises that one of them, Gharain, is the man who she has foreseen that she will fall in love with but who will end up killing her. Lark discovers that she is one of the most important people ...more
Tracy Reasner
Simply magical. This book pleasantly reminded me of McCaffrey's The Dragonriders of Pern -- one of my fantasy favorites as a young girl. Lark is an admirable heroine - strongly written and quite round. I'm glad to see this title labeled as book 1 in the Tarnec series - three more Guardians to go!
Alexis
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sandra Waugh is making her debut into the world of Young Adult Fantasy with a strong kick. Lark Rising will take her to soaring heights!!!

Lark is not your average heroine. She is shy, timid, and not looking for an adventure. In fact her idea of a perfect day includes tending to the weeds in her garden. But Lark has a gift. A gift that has left her bound for things greater than she could ever have imagined. And despite her lack of an adventure bone, Lark has been called. So when trouble is sensed
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Broken Faith (Spiritual Discord, #1)
  • Between
  • Crown of Ice  (The Mirror of Immortality, #1)
  • Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea, #1)
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Winterkill (Winterkill, #1)
  • The Fire Artist
  • A Creature of Moonlight
  • Into the Fire (Birth of the Phoenix #1)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Imaginable (Intangible, #2)
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • The Winter People (The Winter People, #1)
Sandra grew up in an old house full of crowded bookshelves, in walking distance of an old library that allowed her to drag home a sack of six books at a time. It goes without saying, then, that she fell in love with the old house in Litchfield County, CT, because of its many bookshelves, and she lives there now with her husband, two sons, and a dog who snores. Loudly.

LARK RISING is her first novel

Guardians of Tarnec (4 books)
  • Silver Eve (Guardians of Tarnec, #2)
  • Untitled (Guardians of Tarnec, #3)
  • Untitled (Guardians of Tarnec, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown