Start by marking “Word to Caesar” as Want to Read:
Word to Caesar

Word to Caesar

Set in Imperial Rome at the time of Emperor Hadrian, a teenaged boy travels across the Empire from his home in Britain to seek an audience with the Emperor. Along the way he meets up with the villains who are trying to stop him, a famous charioteer who helps him, apathetic solicitors who won't help him, and finally the Emperor. At every step of his adventure, he remains ...more
Paperback
Published May 12th 2005 by Hillside Education (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Word to Caesar, please sign up.
Hanita Puewal I think Lucius rescues Paul before he gets captured by the looters. I think. I only just began reading the book yesterday.…moreI think Lucius rescues Paul before he gets captured by the looters. I think. I only just began reading the book yesterday. (less)

Start your review of Word to Caesar
Mary
I loved almost everything about this book, and I enjoyed every page. It's quality historical fiction at its best. It contains phenomenal characters, plot, setting, historical detail, adventure, writing style, description, and so much more. I also enjoyed how clever and witty the narrative and dialogue are, and both are immensely well-crafted all around. And I really appreciated how the author realistically portrayed the Roman Empire, including both its glory and corruption, and that this is a ...more
Paco P.
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peers
Recommended to Paco by: Stef
My mom gave it to me as a gift early last month, and I was surprised at how much I ended up liking it.

The story itself was very engaging, even the parts that might be considered "slower" are not boring at all. There was a minimum of cliches, which I was extremely thankful for. The author did a great job with making sure that the events in the book seemed plausible.

A great read overall, my only complaint is that the book is not longer.
Trevor Haggard
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book that I had to read for highschool! To be honest, I expected it to be boring. But everyday I would look forward to reading it so I could see what happened! I loved every chapter.
Brian
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paul, the son of a centurion stationed near what would later be Carlisle, sees his father's fort overrun by local tribes and everyone within it massacred. He flees to the nearby port of Ravenglass where his life is saved by Severus, an aristocratic Roman poet who has been exiled to Britain on a trumped up charge of conspiracy.

Severus has commissioned the last boat out of Ravenglass and he rescues the despairing Paul from his pursuers, picking him up and carrying him on board before sailing
zane
4.5 stars. Very enjoyable.
Gordon
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
They gave us this to read in school back in the 1970s. Years afterwards I still remembered it and reread it - twice. :)
Monika Yip
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Word to Caesar” follows around a little roman boy who travels across Rome to tell the current Emperor, Emperor Hadrian, a message. Along the way he meets villains who try to stop him for delivering this important message. Along the way he meets people whom he comes to know as friends and help him out on his mission; although they never join him on the journey.The little roman boy who grew up in the barracks sets off on an adventure alone running across Rome with little to nothing but himself.

Sydnee
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
I had to read this for school, my teacher later gave us assignments to do...without the book! If anyone knows 20 metaphors or similes, 20 humorous sentences and 20 appositives
Emma Grace
Alina Allison
Feb 14, 2019
Who
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
cozy historical fiction for young adults. Never excels, never fails either
Marlana Williams
rated it it was ok
Mary
Jul 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
  • Shooting Kabul
  • Fever 1793
  • One Crazy Summer (Gaither Sisters, #1)
  • The Tiger Rising
  • Roller Girl
  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (I Survived, #1)
  • Buzz Boy And Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #9)
  • The Wednesday Wars
  • The BFG
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Big John's Secret
  • Matilda
  • I Survived the Hindenburg Disaster, 1937 (I Survived, #13)
  • Stone Fox / Top Secret
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Travel Team
Robert Geoffrey Trease (August 11, 1909 - January 27, 1998) was a prolific writer, publishing 113 books between 1934 (Bows Against the Barons) and 1997 (Cloak for a Spy). His work has been translated into 20 languages. His grandfather was a historian, and was one of the main influences towards Trease's work.

He is best known for writing children's historical novels, whose content reflects his