Start by marking “The Spirit Keepers: The Spirit Series #1” as Want to Read:
The Spirit Keepers: The Spirit Series #1

The Spirit Keepers: The Spirit Series #1

Can you escape the wrath of the Spirits?

One of Sandy Jacobs' ten year old students and his family are accused of witchcraft. Blamed for the mysterious deaths of two San Anselmo Pueblo children, they're terrorized by "Boogeymen" Kachina. Sandy rushes to their aid, but her actions inflame the perpetrators and arouse the opposition of Native born faculty member, Ben Rush. San
Published February 10th 2013

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit Keepers

Vicki
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
J.S. Winn has done it again. She's driven the ball out of the park with The Spirit Keepers!! Winn draws up on her own life’s experiences to paint a vivid picture of the natural beauty of New Mexico that envelopes a plot full of intrigue and mystery, romance and drama. The story is rich with details about the American Southwest and its unique culture. The story keeps the reader glued to her seat and holding her breath as she reads on to learn if her beloved heroine survives and finds true love. M ...more
Suzi
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good read!

I enjoyed this new-to-me author and the first book in this series. Very informative and good character and plot development. I'm ready to read the next book in this series. Thank you Ms Winn!
Barb VanderWel
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Sharrice
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted: HERE

Received a copy for an honest review.

Sandy Jacobs has moved to New Mexico to get away from her past life in Philadelphia. Desperate for a change and trying to get over the loss of her son she jumps at the chance to teach in the small town of San Anselmo. Too bad Sandy's problems seem to have gotten worse when she gets there.

Upon arriving she watching innocent sheep get gunned down. When she waves someone over to discover Ben Rush a Native American hottie with a flirtation
Maria S
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and coming from a damp maritime climate, the descriptions of the cold, dry, Winter of San Anselmo had me hooked from the start.

The Spirit Keepers is  set in New Mexico, on a reservation, in 2000.  It tells the story of a Philadelphia native, Sandy, who comes to teach in the local elementary school.  She has suffered trauma in the past, and is seeking a change of scenery and life.  There she befriends Ben, another teacher, who tries his best to guide her through the nu
Courtney
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If there is one thing that J.S. Winn can do well, that would be writing suspense novels. If you didn’t see my review for her previous novel Out of the Shadow, check it out after you read this! (Link)
The Spirit Keepers is a romance novel with a side of mystery and suspense.
It is about a woman named Sandy who packs up her belongings and moves from Philadelphia to New Mexico to take a teaching job. Carrying emotional baggage from her life in Philly, she must learn to adjust to the way of the tribe
Bex 'n' Books
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: charlee-s-review
Reviewer: Charlee
Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies

The Spirit Keeper is an absolutely fantastic, original story, unlike anything I've ever read. Starting a new life in New Mexico, Sandy finds herself miles away, in more ways than one, from her hometown of Philadelphia. Everything is different, from the local's beliefs to the children she teaches. When one of her students, Dixon, is being bullied, Sandy walks him home,and is before long welcomed into the Edakee family, who see her as their Aunt.

As Sandy
Laura of Lurking
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this novel up on a free promotion. Initially, when I saw the words "a native American romance" I was thinking it would be Native American's in tepees living on the plains. At first when I realised it was modern day and a very different culture I was disappointed, but I was quickly drawn in by the story.

The culture was described vibrantly, as well as in terms somebody with limited knowledge could follow. The characters felt dynamic and alive. The plot was fascinating with just the right
Jo-Ann Murphy
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, mystery
Very strong female characters in this romantic mystery set in New Mexico. This was an enjoyable quick read infused with Native American culture. The detailed description of life on the Reservation draw the reader in so they can transport themselves into the story. It is easy to relate to the characters and empathize with them. The mystery was a bit complex with a few red herrings to keep the reader going. At times, the story was a bit predictable and used some old scenarios that other writers ha ...more
Frank Barfod
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well done

The story of a beginning teacher coming to the San Anselmo Pueblo turns into a mystery as Sandy tries to figure out who was harassing one of her students. The author knows the pueblos and the Native American way of life. There's also a love story and the mystery of who wins Sandy's heart.
Randy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed some of the Native American information in the book but found the writing plodding and too flowery for me. The plot was interesting with some twists; and, as with many protagonists, actions were taken that you or I would not have dared without backup or at least having someone with us. But I guess that would remove much of the danger and excitement from the book!
Robert C. smith
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy, enjoyable read

Author Winn is a good story teller, although her style is obviously from a woman's perspective of not being familiar with some of the mechanical and such physical elements, ie. trucks, guns, pragmatic reactions in several situations. Still, it was worth reading.
Susan
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I was happily surprised by this novel of which I received a free e-book. It was an interesting
mystery set among Pueblo Indians on a SW
reservation. The reader is immersed in the
Native American culture and life in rural New
Mexico, as well as the teachers at the local
school and residents of the pueblo. It was only
the romance which I did not believe.
MaryJane Rings
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Was very pleasantly surprised by this novel. Was full of surprises and suspense. depicted the native American culture, showed that their myths and beliefs can be manipulated for personal gain. The plot was well developed with no loose ends at the conclusion of the book. Each character was believable. Very interesting read.
Nancy Phy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mystery

This is a very good mystery with lots of twists and turns. I read it in one evening because I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.
Mia Darien
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I was an editor on the book so I won't be writing an official review, but marking it for my GR records. The story was very interesting. It just wasn't my usual sort of book, so not a higher rating but fans of the genre I think will like it more.
Lorrie
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
An over simplified romance novel. There were some errors that should have been caught by the editor. It was an ok read for me.
Bob Ely
This was an interesting book in that if kept you guessing until the end who was responsible. You sort of had an idea. The book is set up for several sequels.
Janet
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
very good
Delta
Mar 06, 2014 marked it as free-read
Recommended to Delta by: BookBub.com
Free on Amazon today, 03-06-14.

(Romantic suspense, Native American culture)

TeriC
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this with the setting in NM. The author did a wonderful job on Pueblo culture and human emotions.
Audrey
Destiny Brown
Jul 11, 2017
Ramona Jackson
Aug 12, 2017
99 cent Bestsellers: A Native American Romantic Mystery 2 8 Jun 06, 2014 01:14PM
Free Kindle Ebooks: Get the #2 Free Ebook of the Day 1 10 Mar 07, 2014 08:19AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add book to my list 9 27 Jan 26, 2014 09:21PM
Free Romance Book...: Free Romantic Mystery 3 27 Jun 19, 2013 09:16AM
Free Kindle Ebooks: Free Today-Friday: THE SPIRIT KEEPERS 1 15 Jun 19, 2013 08:45AM
Free Kindle Ebooks: Free Ebooks 4 26 May 15, 2013 08:09PM
Free Romance Book...: FREE Ebooks 5 44 May 15, 2013 12:55PM
  • Gone
  • Rules for Becoming a Legend
  • The Ever-After Bird
  • Lady Justice and the Pharaoh's Curse
  • Cold River Resurrection
  • Dying in Detroit (Bright & Fletcher, #2)
  • Witching the Night Away (Witchy Women of Coven Grove #3)
  • I'll See You In Your Dreams
  • Permanent Record
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Through the Fire
  • Graves' End
  • Killer in Sight (A Tom Lackey Mystery, #1)
  • Haunted Tales (Mary O'Reilly Paranormal Mystery, #15)
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • Seventy-Two Hours
  • Heart of Ice (Louis Kincaid, #11)
  • The Rose Red Reaper (Chicago Serial Crimes, #1)