Start by marking “All Is Fair (The Split Worlds, #3)” as Want to Read:
All Is Fair (The Split Worlds, #3)

All Is Fair

(The Split Worlds #3)

In love and war nothing is safe.

William Iris struggles to keep the throne of Londinium whilst hated by his own court and beset by outsiders, while Cathy discovers the legacy of her former governess. But those who dare to speak out about Society are always silenced. Sometimes for good.

While trying to avoid further torments from the mercurial fae, Sam finds himself getting t
Published September 24th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about All Is Fair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Is Fair

Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/08/11/...

All is Fair is the third installment of Emma Newman’s The Split World series. After two books of introducing multiple threads and building everything, we’re finally starting to see it all come together.

As this is an ongoing series, spoilers for Between Two Thorns and Any Other Name are entirely possible, so beware if you haven’t read the first two books yet. We’re picking things up right where they left off, following Wi
Kaitlin
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is book #3 in this series and by this point so many threads were being brought together :) I think this easily could have been the final book (and indeed it was for a few years) but now she's restarted in the Split World's series and I am also VERY happy to hear that.

What I most enjoyed about this book is that it really did tie a lot of the things I was interested in up. We have a side storyline with a character called Sam which is ongoing throughout all of the books and although I found it
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

Spoilers for the first two books are very possible.

Here I am again, for the third time, wondering how to review a book in Emma Newman’s ‘Split Worlds’ series. Obviously these books do something for me, I keep reading, nay, devouring them. I am not sure there is a series that once I get an entry in my hands I can read faster. And yet when done I always find myself in the same position; I know I enjoyed the journey but have a huge list of things to pick apart. Is this fair? Am
Boneist
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this one. I'm a bit sad now though, because it appears to be the last book in the series. (Yes, I have signed up for the free short stories, but I don't think it'll be the same!)

A satisfying conclusion, yet stuffed full of unfinished business! I'd love at least another book in the series!

ETA: I asked Emma, and she said more were planned! Woo!
Mieneke
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2019, fantasy
Amanda
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at Desert Island Book Reviews

All Is Fair is the third book in the Split Worlds series, and if you haven’t read the first two, stop reading now! I recommend reading this series in order and not looking at reviews of books past where you are.

This book started off slower than the others for me, despite all the potential it had. With Will as Duke of Londinium and Cathy as his duchess (side note: just realized in this book that the characters are Will and Catherine, just like the Br
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2013/08/...

*No spoilers for this book, but if you're not caught up, be warned...*

When Any Other Name ended, William had just committed a terrible act based on wildly inaccurate information. Now he’s Duke of Londinium, and that makes Cathy Duchess. Cathy is still recovering from her attack, but soon she’s back on her feet and more than ready to find out what happened to her old governess. She’s also keen to find like-minded women and
Wealhtheow
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Cathy is trying to follow in her governess's footsteps and bring equal rights to Nether society. Her arranged marriage to Will is going unexpectedly well, as he is newly freed from Amelia Rosa's magical compulsion and supports Cathy's choices. Thanks to her own adventures and friendships with people outside the Nether, and as the new Duchess of Londinium, she has the knowledge and power to be very effective. Meanwhile, the remaining sorcerers attempt to assassinate each other. Max and the gargoy ...more
Joanne Hall
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lali
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
\o/ Ee, yes. I like this series a lot now, and I'm happy to hear there are two more books (there is MORE TO BE SEEN) and short stories besides. This really has progressed so well. It builds and builds and keeps surprising.
Lynn Williams
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
All is Fair is the third book, in the Split Worlds series by Emma Newman, that I’ve been reading as part of a readalong. This is an unusual world where fae exist – in exile and the mundane world in which we live is separated from the fae by the Nether world. I’m not going to elaborate too much on the previous books because, and maybe wrongly so, I’m going to assume if you’re reading this review you’ve already read the first two and, if you haven’t you real
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

I was really happy with the way All is Fair wrapped up the Split Worlds trilogy. My favorite characters had plenty of page time and all the big mysteries were resolved with a few strands still left floating so that Emma Newman could return to this world in the future. This has been one of my favorite new series this year and having it completed over the span of a few months was really nice, but now I need more stories!

Cathy and Will hav
Timothy Pecoraro
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At this point, it is probably no secret that I am a HUGE fan of the Split Worlds books. I believe every single one may be better than the last one. From the very first book, Emma Newman has put together some of the most interesting characters that could fill such an amazing world while keeping them all relatively believable. This is incredibly difficult to do in such a fantastical setting as the Nether. But she has handily achieved this and even made most of her more villainous characters inter ...more
Fran Jacobs
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series. The characters are engaging, funny, interesting, varied, and real. In particular I'm a big fan of the gargoyle, Lord Poppy and Rupert. The world they live in is vivid and fascinating and so very damn british. And i love the charms used, the letterbox device, the sniffer, all that sort of thing.

The plot of the series has been pretty simple really, Cathy finding herself, coming to terms with the world she lives in, and starting to fight for change. Sam learning t
Deniz
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, love
3.5 Stars

hmmm... am hovering between rounding up and down.
Good stuff, a great series.. but somehow some of the things felt rushed.

All is Fair is a good end to a great debut series.
I really love Newman's writing. It's beautiful, subtle and imaginative.
The world building of the series, is fabulous. And in each book Newman added slowly more and more to it. Beautifully and skillfully done.
The character building was good again. I loved how they all changed over the corse or the series and took on
Kdawg91
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I am of two minds on this series, Is it well written? yes. It's very engaging, funny, a well built world and it meets my most important point for a series, if you read the first book you will want to read the rest.

That being said, Ms. Newman did a stellar job on this series, it just wasn't for me, I did enjoy the read and I would recommend it to my fantasy reading friends. Maybe you could read it and convince me to read it again!
Melinda Snodgrass
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is so much more story to be told, and I really, really hope the author's publisher buys more books. I must find out more about the world and the nefarious plots that are afoot. And I want to know if Max gets reunited with his soul. I love these books.
Morgan
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a compelling world and it has grabbed my interest through four books so far. But..... the author seemed in a hurry to finish the books, and there are large sections in which we are told what happened rather than shown it happening. It's like she pasted some notes in instead of writing it.

There are a couple too many convenient plot devices that start to weaken our ability to suspend disbelief.

But the hardest part for me has been that the main protagonist Cathy is such an awful person. She ha
JJ
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I still very much love this universe but whew this story is getting very complicated, even convoluted. I'm interested the direction it's going, but also finding some of the rash and rushed decisions some of the characters are making kind of unbearable to read. Like I'm not as clear on possible outcomes as I was in the first couple books, and it's become a constant state of tension expecting every rash decision to end in worse disaster. And this series hasn't shied away from killing people, yet I ...more
Imani
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'He was probably the first one who'd had a previous run in with one of the Fae Lords. Hopefully, he was about to become the first to bitch-slap one too.'

Props to Sam for that thought process! He's becoming one of my favorite characters so far! He's progressed so much and I love what he's turning into. All of the main characters are developing nicely, even Will - which is saying something because he's just so lost. What a poor sad fellow.

SPOILERS AHEAD - just a tiny few:

I'm glad there's a female
Paul Trembling
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the third book of the series, known characters develop, sometimes in surprising way whilst some interesting new ones appear. The background also expands, as we get to know more about the shadowy forces working in the background and possibly get an inkling of who the real enemy is!

Subtle clues and hints are slipped in throughout the story so far, adding to the sense of mystery. Another engrossing read!
Alice
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Still loving this series a lot, we got a lot of closures in this one and it felt good to have the different plot threads come together.
I love so many of these characters, and the ones I cannot love (because, you know, they did terrible things) are still so interesting. I do need one plot thread from book 2 to blow up though, like it needs to be really called out, but we still have 2 books so it can happen still, I'm sure.
A.C. Lillywhite
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My complaint with the second book was mostly resolved in this one, Cathy’s story really develops a lot, but I was still a little unsatisfied with how certain plot points never met their true potential is the text, and now it looks like they probably won’t... and I continue to feel bitter that I couldn’t have this book when I was a teenager. It would have been perfect.
The Stumps
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I only read this because I feel obligated to complete the series. I'm not looking forward to reading the fourth one. If you are reading the first book in the series, stop now. It becomes all about political activism and a feminist agenda.
Jo
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, pub-2013
S
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looooooove this books and series, wondering what delight book 4 has in store.
Kei
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Quite a few surprises in this one.
And... I'm off to read the next.
Kelly Mott
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put it down. Now to pick up the next one!

Well written and very enthralling. Third book in the series and just as good as the first two. Can’t wait for the next!
Monica
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I like that things moved forward but they felt a bit contrived as well.
Liz
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrel but feminist
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Control (Shift, #2)
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
  • The Marching Dead
  • A Long Day in Lychford (Lychford, #3)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • Arcadia (Advent Trilogy, #3)
  • Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane
  • Level Grind (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #1-4)
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • The Dragon's Egg (Dragonslayer, #4)
  • The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)
  • Tainted (Broken, #2)
  • Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3)
  • Will The Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up?
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • The Diamond Princess Saves the Day (The Jewel Kingdom, #4)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • The Glass Republic (The Skyscraper Throne, #2)
Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no

The Split Worlds (5 books)
  • Between Two Thorns (The Split Worlds, #1)
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • A Little Knowledge (The Split Worlds, #4)
  • All Good Things (The Split Worlds, #5)
“It was sunny and cold outside, the kind of morning that autumn did best.” 0 likes
“Perhaps positive self-affirmations were for Californians only. Perhaps the sarcasm and perpetual doubt wired into her British brain had made her immune to such tricks.” 0 likes