Start by marking “Playing Along” as Want to Read:
Playing Along

Playing Along

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Two Lives. Two Continents. One Song…
Then: George Bryce was an awkward, English schoolboy fantasizing about being in a band.

Now: George is frontman of Thesis, an overnight indie scene sensation. Intense, creative and self-deprecating, his childhood dreams have all been fulfilled – so why does George still feel so lost?

Then: Lexi Jacobs was a confident Californian high scho
Published December 20th 2012 by Write To Be You Press

To ask other readers questions about Playing Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Along

Christine Natz
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that don't dwell too much on the lead girl/boy interaction. The story flows more of a real time, from one day to the next, without much seeming to happen. I'm used to reading romance novels with plenty of dialogue between the two leads and plenty of situations where they are thrown in together for the relationship to evolve, so why do I love this book so much?? Let me count thy reasons:

(1) It's not lame. I've read a couple of books that tried to portray similar things
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
If you’re looking for a feel good read, then I would definitely recommend ‘Playing Along’. It’s a whimsical, quirky, and romantic story about two lost souls navigating life.

What makes this book great is two equally strong lead characters. George is adorably emo; he’s a once-geeky man who has turned into a famous rockstar who all the ladies want. You would think this would make George egotistical, but instead he’s quietly humble when it comes to his music, and still inadequate feeling when it com
Season
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This book might be one of the most interesting books I have ever read. The way the whole story is laid out took a bit to get used to us, but once I got into the story, I couldn't wait to finish it. Lexi and George are great characters. Lots of thought went into a book this complex. I wish there was a bit more, but it ended in just the right way. If there is ever a sequel, I will want to read that!!
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
Mar 20, 2013 marked it as might-read-freebie
Recommended to Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog by: Sara ~Sphunky~
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Free on Amazon 03.20.13
Kristi Davis
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Had to end it at 11%, I just was not connecting.
Reading is my Time Out
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow!!! As I type this review I am feeling like my belief in love at first sight has been restored! Playing Along by Rory Samantha Green is a very refreshing take on the rock star boyfriends stories that are hitting shelves everywhere! I give this book 4 stars easily and recommend anyone who loves romance, love at first sight, and happy endings definitely put this book on their to be read list!!

Playing Along is the story of George, lead singer of Britain's top rock band Thesis, and Lexi a former
Lynn
Jan 06, 2013 added it
Recommended to Lynn by: Jessica Park
I took a while to write this post because I wanted to think about the book before I wrote a review. This book has characters that are extremely well written. The author is gifted in writing characters that you feel like could be actual people that you know. I really enjoyed the process of getting to know them too.

Where I struggled is in the type of story that this is. This is a contemporary fiction with the potential of romance. As readers we are rooting for George and Lexi as a couple but I wou
Louise
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a debut novel by Rory Samantha Green so I have not previously read any of her work but the blurb attracted me with its tag line of “Two Lives. Two Continents. One Song.”and had no idea what to expect.

Playing Along is a story told from alternative viewpoints of the two main characters. Lexi Jacobs was an All-American High School cheerleader, with great grades and a High School sweetheart and her path in life looks reassuringly safe and predictable. George Bryce lives in England and is a
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Playing Along has one of my favourite covers, I love the colours and the general feel I got from looking at it, just from the cover it seemed as though I was in for an enjoyable read! I also really love musicians and bands and given on the cover there is a guy with a guitar, I was certain that this was going to be a hit with me.

Oh my…Wow was literally all I could say after I had turned the last page – what a book! I genuinely cannot describe my sheer love for this novel! It is BEAUTIFULLY writte
Love N. Books
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I started this book not knowing anything about it and not having read any reviews... just the above synopsis. This book left me speechless (Me? Speechless?). I twittered the author the second I finished and she was shocked I had no words either. Don't worry... the words are back today, just still out of breath.

This is a story of George and Lexi.... separate countries, separate worlds, separate EVERYTHING, but somehow their paths cross and it must be destiny for these two as they learn about them
Abbie R.
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-daily-quirk
I am a sucker for romantic comedies. Any story with a sense of humor and a couple who may or may not know that they are meant to be together is right up my alley, which is probably why I loved Playing Along by Rory Samantha Green.

George is the lead singer of the popular British band Thesis. Even though he’s made it big and his name is adored by women around the world, his sweet and sensitive demeanor makes it hard for him to form lasting relationships with anyone. Lexi is a born and raised Calif
Books,Babes and Cheap Cabernet
3.5 Stars

Playing Along is a really cute story about love at first sight and the soundtrack that plays in the background.

George Bryce is the frontman of the British band 'Thesis'. George has all the success he has ever wanted and millions of adoring fans, but he still feels like the awkward teen he was in high school. He feels like something is missing from his life.

Lexi Jacobs, who lives in L. A., was the popular girl in school with her whole life planned. Fast forward a few years: she is single
Mr. Darcy's lady {Karinna}
3.5 Stars

Alexandra
Playing along is a book you won't want to put down. The book has a dual narrative. So you can see what's happening to Lexi and George at the same moments in time. This book will take you London and LA. When we first meet Lexi and George as teenagers they are both very different. Lexi is a popular self assured teenager who has her life mapped out.While George is very tortured in a way. Lacking in confidence ,with a cruel older sister. Fast forward to when they are adults. And things are very diff ...more
Mel Gambino
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A love story of serendipitous proportions. If you saw that movie Serendipity (2001 John Cusack Kate Beckinsale) and you LOVED it, this book is FOR YOU!
Style of writing (multiple narrators) is great. Story is interesting. But, I wanted a little more out of the ending.
It felt like I was invited to a huge party...of epic size, style and fun. I counted down the days...and then when the day of the party arrived I got to the door and they allowed me to peek inside the party and then sent me home.
En
Claire Wing
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished this book and I feel lost without it. It was one of those books that I started reading and was thinking it was ok then ten pages in I was hooked. everywhere I went I wanted to just fit one more page in because I just needed to know what was going to happen. I think it is this that makes it a great read, on every page you just want to know what's going to happen, there is no padding out and over describing characters that aren't really that important to the story. The set up ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Had never heard of Rory Samantha Green until asked to review this book and I have to say I am so pleased I was asked. This is a book which is brilliantly written, superb story and an under-story of family, friends and daily life that could be so close to most peoples lives.
The characters are wonderfully sculptured that they could be your next door neighbors. The fame element is played in the right context without ever being over the top and the whole story is a love story without being a Mills
Colleen
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have to admit this book was S-L-O-W moving until about half way through. I almost put it aside, but the characters kept me going, and I'm so glad I did. The build up in the beginning was necessary for the play out of the story, which I enjoyed in the end. I couldn't put it down after that 50% mark. If you like chance encounters, then you'll like this book. Enchanting characters and a simultaneously alternating point of view keep you aware of the thoughts and feelings of both main characters. H ...more
Cindi
I loved this little book! Ms. Green has written the story that I wish I'd lived - the one where the shy indie rock star sees me in the 3rd row and is instantly inspired to meet me, to see if the tug he feels could be real. And just like in my life, everything that can go wrong with this potential romance does. I kept finding myself gritting my teeth and thinking, "No! Oh, he/she/that will ruin everything!!!" and everything was ruined ... up until the very end of the book. I was never sure they'd ...more
Jess
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I RECEIVED THIS BOOK FROM GOODREADS FIRST READS IN RETURN FOR A HONEST REVIEW
I loved this book from start to finish. It had me wanting to read more from the first page. The 2 main characters George and Lexi was a great story about the one song bringing them together. The story is well descripted and leaves nothing for the imagination but there is no need to. I would love to see a 2nd book that looks into the band members of Thesis and Russell and Let The Green Times Roll.
Leah
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This book annoyed me. it was a wonderful read and the characters all played a perfect part in the story but my problem was that it took so long to get into the story and then it ran away so fast.
George is beautiful a true sweet heart and Lexi is a smart woman still finding her way, i just wish they had found it sooner.
Im glad i stayed till the end, but i could have put thus book down many many times and not been bothered.
Micah
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book after one of my newest favorite authors, Jessica Park, started talking about it on Twitter. It's a great read for summer -- light, romantic, and full of great characters (likeable and otherwise). As a music-lover, I enjoyed the idea of a lead singer noticing and connecting with a fan in the crowd. That's probably every girl's fantasy. At least most girls I know. I hope Rory Samantha Green writes a sequel. I'm not ready to be done with George, Lexi and company!
Timmi
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like the way this book was written. It was witty, insightful, sometimes a bit dark. My only criticism is that I know more about Simons sandwiches than the fate of Lexi and George. I want more, you gave me milk I wanted cream. Perhaps there will be a sequel or some follow up on her blog. I think it's time I wrap up this review and investigate. In a nut shell, wonderful writing, excellent character development, not too angstey, all around enjoyable.
Ulrika
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well it's been about three days since I finished up Playing Along and it's still vividly playing in my mind:)

I LOVE this book - I couldn't put this book down. You'll fall in love with George and Lexi...All the characters are so clearly defined and alive. I love the references to music and the time it takes place. It's hard to find books that will pull you in like PLAYING ALONG.
Gem Cocker
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I liked that it wasn't aimed from one of the characters point of view but both of two main characters. There were many twist and turns in this story.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes modern romance.

The story was left open, I would like to see a sequel
Patricia
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A good read, but I would have given it 4stars if it had more interaction between the two main characters. I felt like it left me wanting to read more and not satisfied in the end, as we spend the whole book waiting for them to be together and then we barely see it. I would have liked to see them getting to know one another, properly.
Michelle
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is now on my list of favorites. I love the story of the indie rocker rather than the other ones I have read before. This is not a steamy hot erotic book it just a great story about these two people from different sides of the world. It was about the love of music. What a great book that I will be sure to read again and again.
Ambur
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, own-ebook
I loved both Lexi and George...they were fantastic characters! I also really enjoyed the musical elements of the book, and could definitely imagine Thesis as a real band...and I would totally be a fan! :D

Full review to come!
Lisa
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was OK, dragged on quite a bit. It was a little tedious. Like watching a movie waiting for something to happen and nothing gets revealed for awhile. It was cute, but don't think I can go through with reading it again.
Kourtney
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book! I read it in two days without even trying. Rory incorporates music along with the storyline. If you're a music fan looking for a great romantic comedy, this is the novel for you!

I received this book from the Goodreads Giveaway.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lone Tree
  • Treasure So Rare (Women of Strength Trilogy, #3)
  • The Brevity of Roses (Bay of Dreams, #1)
  • Chasing Fools
  • Rescued by the Rancher
  • Olivia
  • One Crazy Summer
  • Metal Urge
  • The Grey Tier: A Dead Celeb Mystery
  • Trust Me
  • A Titan for Christmas
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)
  • One Night With a Rock Star
  • One Week
  • Captive at Christmas (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Relatively Famous
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
Rory Samantha Green is a published author, trained psychotherapist and creator of Write To Be You, Reflective Writing Workshops. She openly admits to being a recovered band crushaholic. Her book, ‘Charlie’s Checklist’, was selected by Oprah Winfrey’s children’s bookclub.

‘Playing Along’ is her first novel for adults and explores how relationships can play out in imaginations as well as in real lif
More about Rory Samantha Green