Start by marking “The Returners: Season One Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Returners: Season One Omnibus

The Returners: Season One Omnibus

"Some were not meant to return."

The Returners Season One collects parts 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 to form the complete season in a single volume.

Alex Heton is living a second life and so is his soon-to-be ex-girlfriend, Chloe. After a man tries to kill both of them in a restaurant, they reveal to each other that they are the reincarnated bodies and minds of Alexander the Great and
Hardcover, 1st edition, 331 pages
Published December 28th 2012 by "BOZ." Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Returners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Returners

Brian
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
An intriguing idea marred by poor, or lazy, writing.

The idea: Famous historical figures, e.g., Alexander the Great, Eliot Ness, Richard the Lionheart, are reborn in modern times, but retain the memories of their past lives. Someone is killing the "returners" one-by-one, and many questions ensue. Who is the killer? Why are they killing the returners? Why have the returners returned? Etc.

Poor writing: Unfortunately, "The Returners" displays the lack of editorial oversight that is the common stigma
Camilla Hansen
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban, fantasy
I LOVED it. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of a few minor details, but I'll get back to those in a minute. Is "a few sections/lines/passages" more correct to say, I wonder?

Anyway. The humour was one of the strong points about the book besides the variety of personalities being brought "back" and the mystery of the entire book.
The characters were well-made with good personalities, though a few things bothered me enough to point it out: Why, or rather how, did they accept them
Adam Bogert
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Look, all I'm saying is, if you aren't reading a book that includes a teenage Albert Einstein pistol-whipping a homicidal clone, you should be.

Okay, I'll say a bit more. This is one wild ride, part historical, part science fiction, 100% creative. It's like someone took the dopey out of Bill and Ted and turned it into something much cooler, with stakes much higher. Also, it makes Joan of Arc sexy, so there's that.

This won't go down in the annals of literary history as a masterpiece, but it WILL
Linda
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
NO SPOILERS

What do you mean Season Two isn't out yet? Arrghhhh.

Who has come back? Why are they here? Whose side are they on? How many sides are there?

When the action in this book started rolling, I read faster and faster. I couldn't stop because I *had* to find out what happened next. "Gripping" doesn't do this book justice.

If doesn't matter how someone classifies this book. If you like good books, that capture you and make you forget everything going on around you, this book is for you.
Mark
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This was fun but also kind of a mess. While the story as a whole kept me interested, the poor editing, awkward shifting narrative voice, and reaching attempts to be a bit too clever were frustrating. Still, I liked the ending and, of course, now I want to see what happens in Season 2. It's a little like being sucked into an uneven TV series.
Doug
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome. Great premise. Fast paced. Funny, clever and again, awesome. I could rave about this book to everyone in ear shot if they wouldn't tell me to shut up. I wish more people had read it or there was a forum where I could actually talk about the damn thing to people.

Again. It's awesome. And beautifully executed. I love history too, so that helps.
Bill Lefler
Aug 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Bad writing and zero editing make this a really hard read. I know it was a serial release, but at least run it through an editor friend or READ IT ONCE YOURSELF before publishing as a volume. If the author doesn't care, why should the reader.

Could have been an interesting book given the concept but all the characters have the same personality. I gave up about 60% through.
Aaron
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed both the concept and execution of this story. The idea of famous people returning had me guessing who was the next famous returner and would they get killed off? Cliffhanger finish has me anxious for the next book to come out.
Justine Mcintyre
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept, having historical figures "return" or reincarnate as new people but with all their memories of their previous lives. Was a fun read if not taken too seriously - cliffhanger though ahh! Waiting on Season 2 now I guess :)
Heather Hartling
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I'm normally critical of poorly edited books, the plot was unique enough to keep me reading. While I agree with other reviews that the characters could have been more developed, the story I'd intriguing and worth the read.
Tim Davies
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Ignoring the typos, the book is quite entertaining. As an Australian with limited knowledge of American history, (and perhaps even World history) however, I didn't know who all the Returners actually were. It would be great to have a brief description of each of them somewhere in the book.
Becky
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed The Returners omnibus last summer when it was free on Kindle, and am just now getting around to reading it. I can't believe I waited so long to read this! I was honestly afraid I would get yelled at at work for having my nose buried in my Kindle while I was supposed to be working (haha oops!).

What's the modern day equivalent to the phrase "page-turner"? Button masher? This book is a real button masher. Page swiper.

I suck at writing reviews, so do yourself a favor and stop reading this
Brandon Larkin
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like the action was well paced and as I reached the end, I wanted more. The characters felt pretty good to me, and seemed to differentiate themselves from one another more as I moved toward the end of the book.

The only negatives I found were some of the typos and slightly confusing phrasing in some parts of the book. It is a side effect of self-publishing, but I don't feel like it detracted enough to not enjoy the book.

I will definitely be picking up season 2 a
Kevin
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Historical figures are being reincarnated and someone's trying to kill them. The premise sounds just awesome and despite some typos the unrelenting pace and tone were great. The plotting and overall logic could use a bit of work though, as it was never clear who was on what side, especially with all the side switching and sudden reveals.
Ellen Hooley
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the story. Looking forward to the next instalment.
David C
Aug 04, 2018
Keith Schuler
Jan 22, 2013
Sneauxman
Apr 28, 2013
Tim Dickson
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2014
May 01, 2016
Connor Graham
Jul 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Eden Rising (Project Eden, #5)
  • The Destiny of Ethan King
  • Wings of Retribution (Millennium Potion #1)
  • Nightmare Along the River Nile (Ebook)
  • Spring (Lakebridge #1)
  • Hamlet's Hit Points
  • Blackjack Wayward (Blackjack #2)
  • Hunter
  • The Lotus Cross
  • A Shadow in the Flames (The New Aeneid Cycle, #1)
  • The Spirit Keeper (The Spirit Keeper, #1)
  • Hell and Beyond
  • Wielder's Rising (Wielder, #2)
  • The Doctor
  • Mara
  • A Life of Death (A Life of Death Trilogy #1)
  • Annihilation (Star Force, #7)
  • The Valhalla Call (Hayden War Cycle, #4)