Start by marking “On the Edge of Humanity (Vampire SEALs, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of Humanity (Vampire SEALs, #1)

On the Edge of Humanity (Vampire SEALs #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Jo Mason is lost in a world where traipsing from one foster home to another is normal. She hates her life, she hates school and on most days, she hates living. If it weren’t for her twin brother Sam, she may already be dead.

Her normal world shifts one hundred and eighty degrees when she discovers her own blood tastes like candy and her eyes change colors
Published December 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of Humanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Edge of Humanity

Lissa
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story isn't like most of the the vampire teen fiction out there. It's an action-packed debut of teens and vampires, and I found the military aspect intriguing, exciting and original. I loved the relationship between Jo and her brother Sam, and thought this really held the story together as its beating heart. The uneasiness between Jo and her estranged father, as well as her coming to terms with choosing whether or not to become part the vampire world, was also interesting and rounded out th ...more
Brittany
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it

On the Edge of Humanity is a paranormal young adult fictional that displays all the typical growing pains of being a teenager but with a twist. Alexander brings tons of twists and turns with the many characters involved. The main character, Jo is a growing teen who happens to be a twin. Among normal teen issues such a puberty, she has abandonment issues as well as authority issues. I was surprised and pleasantly happy that Alexander stayed away from the "Woe is Me" stereotypical plot that is nor
Cassidie
I received an ARC copy via Book Blogging in exchange of an honest review.

Jo Mason is a sixteen year old orphan who is constantly pilgriming from foster parents to foster parents until she ends up the worst one of all. They are cruel and in the end she gets put in to hospital where she witnesses something that changes her life. From that moment on she has to flee, to run and while doing so, she discovers secrets of herself, her real family and of the existence of vampires.

Actually the first few p
Lisa Petty
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I am usually not into vampire stories. I usually read biographies or realistic fiction, but On the Edge of Humanity was so realistic that it held my attention from beginning to end.

The story takes place in a regular, New England town, which makes the story believable. S.B. Alexander catches the reader's attention with well-rounded characters. Right from the first page, I wanted to know what would happen to Jo and Sam, and even their good friend Ben. The characters were presented a
Julie Jaret
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read tons of vampire books over the years, ever since the Anne Rice days. I thought I'd seen every possible configuration of vampire abilities and appearance, but I was wrong. Ms. Alexander added just enough of a unique twist to typical vampire convention to make her story world fresh, without heaping all kinds of unnecessary crazy on top. I don't usually read YA and it was a pleasant surprise to find myself truly engaged and invested in the characters. I will definitely read the next book ...more
Sally Hannoush
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and look forward to the second one in the series. There is a second one right? I thought this was a great set up as well as a failed set up as to what will come. I can't wait to learn more about vampire SEALs and what it is they do. I want to know more about Webb and Jo's spark. What will happen to Ben? What will vampire school be like? What powers does Jo and Sam have now? OK, this isn't much of a review, but I liked it enough to question all these things and continue o ...more
Kaiti Stewart
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This wasn't the best vampire story I've every read, but it was the most creative. I would have never thought you could combine the military and vampires but S.B. Alexander proved me wrong. I thought there was a good story line, but the story seemed to drag on. I admit to skipping through pages just to get to the point. Overall the story was alright I would've liked a little bit of romance between Jo and Webb.
Kim Martin
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This young adult paranormal read was a great first novel for S.B. Alexander. It was well written, action packed and I found Jo and Sam very likable and relating to them. S.B. did a great job with the vampire-military aspect of the story and I will look forward to her second book coming out soon.
Elizabeth
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good read. The author held my attention through the whole story. The only thing that annoys me about suspense is that no one says what their motives are till the end of the story but that's the whole purpose of the book. Anyways can't wait to read the sequel On The Edge of Eternity.
Jenny
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was great! I started reading it and couldn't put it down! I haven't read the second one, on the edge of eternity, and I know the author started writing the third! I cant wait to read them!
Michelle
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved it. hope the story continues Soon!!
Joyffree
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A suspenseful and engaging YA paranormal read.
I enjoyed the unique twist Alexander gave the vampire race
Great job of character and scene building, with plenty of suspense and action -
The three main characters, are pretty spot on for teens - with their quirks and personalities one minute they seem sane and lovable the next you want to strangle them.
I say three because, besides the twins, I also feel their best friend plays a major role in this opening book, I also believe he will be important i
Kayleigh henderson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

This is the first of the series and I can read this series over and over. The characters are easy to love and the story line is amazing. Looking forward to see how it progresses.
Sadie Forsythe
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
I have to be honest. Even though I can't really fault the writing of this book I didn't like it. I lost count of how many aspects of it I just personally didn't like. That's not to say others wouldn't, or that it isn't actually a good book, but I didn't like it. Lets start and I'll explain why.

First off, given the series title, Vampier SEALs, I was expecting at least a little vampire/military badassness. I read the description and knew that wasn't going to be the main focus, but I expected some
Nigel
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I have given this book 2 stars as I am unsure about. Although it is a YA novel (and I am long since past being YA) it didn’t read like one. The storyline was different from lots of vamparic fiction and the tension of plot kept the story moving forward at a good pace. So why only 2 stars:

a) Whilst I knew it was the first in a series and there are always going to be uncompleted threads, I was disappointed in the ending which seemed quite abrupt and it didn’t resolve (to my mind) satisfactorily the
Lorie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay but a bit annoying

The writing was good. I felt the emotions of the characters. What annoyed me was having a heroine that is a winer poor me attitude and a crier at every chapters. The heroine was weak and a but immature. The whole plot was about the heroine not wanting to be a vampire but ended up not having a choice in order to save her brother. The romance was weak. I couldn't stand Ben her brother's buff. he was a jerk to h. There was no romance between the two really. Didn't feel it. I
Haidee
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires
The book was okay but the thing that really pissed me off was Jo's personality. She always did whatever she was told and was just plain weak and a pushover. It's really annoying me so I'm going to stop at 71% and will probably only finish this book when I'm bored out of my mind.
Props to the author for the vampire history part of it, it reminded me a little of Lynsay Sands Argeneau series with the whole scientific vampire blood antibodies and all that.
Depending on how I'm feeling I may continue t
Heather
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Vampire SEALS are a secret military group that hunts the really bad guys (who knew!!). Jo and her twin brother, Sam, gave been victims in the Foster System. They only ever had each other for love and protection. Sam is kidnapped by the evil vampire uncle. Dear old absent dad reveals himself and that's when Jo learns her father is a vampire so she and her brother are half vampire or have the vampire gene (maybe I should get tested!!). Jo is faced with the dilemma of becoming a vampire to save her ...more
SB CS
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the plot, Jo and Sam are fraternal twins and their life hasn't been easy. The characters are there, but I needed a little more. It gets really complicated when they discuss the medical side of vampires it gets too complicated if it's not read carefully. As I said, the plot was there but it gets complicated at parts, then some parts are not believable, like the father not being able to find them. He's in the army with access to everything, so that doesn't make sense to me.
I enjoyed rea
Jennifer Erwin
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting take to the Vampire genre. It has them as being born, not made. I also liked how the author mixed the Navy SEALS and vampires (I'm a Navy brat, and a sucker for just about anything with the military in it). I'm not sure how the rest of the series will play out, but I am intrigued enough from this story to see how it goes. I loved the dynamic between Sam & Jo (twin brother & sister) and really am interested in how the series continues on with them as vamp ...more
Nancy
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The last thing you want as a teenager is to lose your twin brother _ and to find your long lost father was not lost at all and that he is one of the most powerful vampires around. All this in a few days makes you want to hide away.

But you can't - Sam needs your blood to survive and you, you have to become vampire to save him which involves meeting the father you thought had forgotten you over fourteen years ago.

Excellent take on teens, life and vampires. If you love vamp tales you will love thi
Wee Shubba's World
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

After reading Dare to Kiss by the same author I was looking for more of her work and found this FREE on amazon! That is right! You can grab this currently for free and I highly suggest getting because it was such a quick and enjoyable read. It's not perfect but overall a really good story.

Read Full review: http://weeshubbasworld.blogspot.co.uk...
Leanne Plaxico
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book, I love the characters but it took way to long to get to the meat of the story. I am interested in what will happen to Jo, Sam and Ben as the series continues but don't know if its enough to read them.
Gail
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good

I don't give out five stars for books with sequels, but this book really drew me in. Vampire, but not your normal run of the mill kind. It's a whole different version. Loved it.
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A young girl finds out a big secret...vampires do exist. But at the cost of her brother's safety and her future. She must make a big decision to save them both with the help of a special team of Navy Seals that are all vampires.

This book is very good and kept my interest to the end.
Terri Pray
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Gave it 7 chapters but it didn't appeal.
Michelle Sprester
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Completely loved, the whole series is amazing.
Karina Halt
Great book, I love it! Highly recommended!
Chedi_24
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016-read
I struggled to finish this one
Heather Holman
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Pretty much throughout the entire story, I wasn't sure which characters to love/hate with the exception of Jo, Sam and Ben. Enjoyed them. I'm interested in the next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Get Lost in a Story: Debut Young Adult Author S.B. Alexander 2 4 Mar 15, 2013 07:48AM
  • Nathan Returns (I, Hero #2)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • Threads That Bind (Havoc Chronicles, #1)
  • Amorous Overnight (Aliens Overnight, #3)
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters, #1.5)
  • Forests of the Fae: Devlin's Door
  • Still Wilde in Outlaw River
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Shadow of the Wolf (Darkness Unleashed, #1)
  • The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)
  • Girls Can't Be Knights (Spirit Knights, Book 1)
  • Grimm End
  • Cursed Immortals Omnibus 2: Judas & The Vampires
  • The King of Average
  • Soul Taker
  • The Dawning of Power (World of Godsland #1-3) (The Dawning of Power #1-3)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
S.B. Alexander’s books are filled with stories that tug at your heart, and are filled with romance, drama, action and suspense. As much as she loves to write, she also loves to read. Some of her favorite authors are Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe, although in the past three years she's gravitated toward the paranormal and new adult genre, which is when she started her journey to write her first ...more
More about S.B. Alexander...

Vampire SEALs (7 books)
  • On the Edge of Eternity (Vampire SEALs #2)
  • On the Edge of Destiny (Vampire SEALs #3)
  • On the Edge of Misery (A Vampire SEAL Novel Book 4)
  • On the Edge of Infinity (A Vampire SEAL Novel Book 5)
  • On the Edge of Misery: A Vampire Seal Novel