Start by marking “Through The Lens” as Want to Read:
Through The Lens

Through The Lens

(Through the Lens #1)

Being a twin isn’t all that bad, nor is it all that good. Being the fat twin makes things a little worse. Seventeen year old, Jessa Shelby has been all but ignored. Trimmed down, but not skinny like her sister, she has decided to make her mark in her final year in high school.

Things begin anew the summer before her senior year when she makes friends with Ethan Hart, a boy
Published December 14th 2012 by Wicked Truth (first published November 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Through The Lens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through The Lens

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Pretty
Rating: R
Overall: Intriguing, left me wanting more
Characters: Solid
Plot: A flashback at the point of death
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? N/A???
Recommend: Sure
Book Boyfriend: Ethan

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

A story of a girl who changed her life and with that came other changes she may or may not be ready for. Interesting story with interesting characters. A lot of questions still hang at the end even though there is a HEA. Hoping for a sequel.

For a ful
CeCe
01/09/13 - I reread this book last night and I have changed my rating to 4 1/2 solid stars. (My review from last month is below.) It was better the second time around even though I knew who the attacker was and how the relationships were going to go. This is just one of those books that is a jewel to me.

12/13/12- 3 1/2 to 4 stars. The rating because of the writing in certain points of the book. BUT (and this is a BIG BUT), I don't want this to turn people away from this book. I recommend this b
Suzanne
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Shannon released a contemporary novel, while not my regular read, I knew I'd have to read it. I love how she writes romance in her Cambion series, and having been a beta reader for the first book in her new series, Remember, I knew she'd done a great job there too.

We're led into the story knowing that Jessa has just lost weight, having been the fat twin. She's not like her identical twin Jenna, who is beautiful and part of the popular crowd. Jessa doesn't see herself as beautiful and prefe
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
Oh man oh man. I loved this book. Thank you so much to Christine and her fabulous review. I had read the synopsis of this book and written it off - but I'm so glad I changed my mind.

This was such a great mix - wonderful YA romance with a heroine that I actually liked (and didn't act stupid! Loved Jess!) two hot love interests (that didn't turn into a real love triangle), just enough drama and angst to keep it interesting, and a mystery thrown in too.

I was really impressed by how well fleshed o
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This really took my by surprise. I've loved many of the other books written by Shannon Dermott, so when I saw this new title available (last year) I bought it with some of my Christmas Amazon gift cards. I'm so glad I did, and wished I hadn't waited so long to read it.

It is a less steamy YA story, revolving around Jessa (Jessica) an identical twin that recently lost weight and is finding herself, trying to fit in to her surroundings. That description really doesn't do this book any favors, does
Michele
This is Shannon’s first standalone novel and I was lucky enough to beta read Through the Lens before publication. I’m so thrilled that it’s been published because now I can write about how much I loved it!

The story is about Jessa Shelby, a high school senior whom is used to living in her sister’s shadow. Jessa used to be the so called “fat twin” while her sister Jenna has always been slim, the popular cheerleader that goes to all the parties, and has the cute boyfriend. Jessa, now that she has s
Melanie Genanatti
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love this book. cute fast read i couldnt put down. i loved the main characters and the ending was super cute.

wondering if there will be a second book?
Hrtnsoul28
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2012
A great book. I loved all the characters. I was shocked at how I had thought Allie was the one who was strangling Jessa. I had no clue until right before the reveal who was doing it. I could not believe Josh left Jessa because of a stupid misunderstanding. With sisters like Jenna you really don't need enemies. I cannot image a sister like that. There were so many relationships in play during the book it make me want to know more about how their lives are going. I want a sequel. I just want more ...more
Ashley
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Shannon has done it again! It would have been a five star rating, but there were words missing in some areas, or the wrong word written. It was a little distracting, but not enough for me to stop reading the book. Overall, great job! It kept me interested. I wasn't looking at my kindle every 10 minutes to see if I was done. It had romance, humor, and suspense. I would definitely recommend this if you are looking for a good read.
Secretly Adorkable Readers
This was a wonderful turn pager, read it within 6 hers. Loved the story between & all the characters within, especially Jessa & bad boy Ethan. Please read! You will not be disappointed!
❤️ Kristine ❤️
Please say there will be book two...
Teiamarie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued from the prologue. I absolutely love Shannon Dermott's Cambion Series and couldn't wait to see what she was going to do with her newest novel, Through the Lens.

So much about this story really hit home. I loved the emphasis on Jessa's struggle with her weight. So many girls go through this at some point in their lives, feeling like the fat friend (including myself). I especially loved that while Jessa was aware of her weight and worked hard to keep it off, she didn't spend an exc
Zoe and the Edge
This is a difficult book to rate. I really liked the beginning and I really hated the second half. So I've split the review into two sections.

First Half of the Book
I enjoyed the dynamics of this book. There's a love triangle, but Jessa really likes Ethan's girlfriend Allie. Allie is a beautiful tv-star and she's the sweetest thing ever.

And the more and more I hung out with her [Allie], the more I liked her. Ethan became further and further off limits.

No one, including Jessa wants this gorgeous
Amanda
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book pulled me in and didn't let me go until I finished it. I was guessing and second guessing all through the book as to who was pulling the camera cord. I didn't see the culprit coming until after it was revealed.

The characters were great and I really enjoyed Ethan and Jessa. The dynamics between Jessa and Jenna, Jessa and her friends, Jessa and Josh, and Jessa and Ethan were all very believable and very easy to relate to.

I also loved that Jessa's parents were involved in her life and w
Calatasde
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my friends named Michele mentioned to me this Author.I thought I give a try.And I'm looking some book Click for full review
L
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this, does need some editing but overall good story and I'll be looking out for the sequel.
Shannon Dermott
Jan 10, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Audio book is available.
Francesca
Through the Lens is about a girl named Jessa who has recently lost weight. She has a twin sister, Jenna, who everyone always considered the pretty one since she was significantly smaller than Jessa. Jessa's dealing with a few issues aside from just her weight loss - she's suddenly getting attention from guys, her best friends starting dating each other and she often feels like the third wheel and she doesn't have many friends otherwise.

While helping her dad clean out their attic she stumbles ac
Ali
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I really enjoyed being in Jessa's head. She's a pretty down to earth girl with a good sense of right and wrong. She is not the typical YA chic and it was refreshing. There is a bite of angst but she does not over dramatize every little detail of her life.

On the other hand...I wish she would have had more conversation with Ethan. I didn't particularly like how the relationship between them developed. She was so meek and quiet that I didn't feel the connection until much later in the book.

What I l
ewa
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story!!! I really felt in love with characters, setting, and plot. I won’t go to details, just read this and you won’t be disappointed. Just so you know, there is a bad boy! and yes, he is gorgeous and nothing less!

First, it hooked me with an opening prologue that surprises, intrigues and made me want to know more. At stake was Jessa life. We see from the very first page that the protagonist has a great story to be told. I loved it. I think everyone has felt like Jessa. At least, I could
Miranda
I received a copy via the publisher on netgalley.

This was a whirlwind,crazy cluster of feelings for me. First off I really was beginning to dislike 75% of the characters throughout the book not a good sign. None were relatable and everyone seemed two deminsional and way too much shadiness. Cheating, lying, underhanded drama you name it this had it. Ethan's character grew on me I knew right off he wasn't a bad guy don't ask me how because everything points to him but honestly that's an ameture th
Kylin Traylor
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jessica
This is a decent book, and it certainly kept me guessing. I liked the characters, and I liked the story. But this book could have used some more editing. There were missing words, missing punctuation, and usage of the wrong forms of words. I personally don't think it takes away from the story too much. It wasn't so bad that I felt like a second grader wrote it, just that it wasn't edited well. What really bugged me was the ending. I like my books to come together in the end, I don't like feeling ...more
Hannah
There's this part where Jessa is at a party and she finds her 15 y/o brother getting off with a girl he doesn’t know, and then finds her twin sister getting off with her boyfriend. For Kyle, who comes out of a bedroom zipping up his pants followed by a girl who is much older than him, Jessa’s attitude is pretty relaxed. But then when she accidentally interrupts Jenna and her boyfriend of two years, Jessa gets on her high horse and starts talking about how her sister was ‘doing something she will ...more
Kellsea
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that she was her own person. Although she was a twin she was different. I loved the photography aspect. The camera was an extension of her arm with no training at all. It was natural. She was her fathers daughter. Ethan Ethan Ethan was complex and mysterious all at once. The relationship between him and Allie was complicated and not all together healthy but through the pain they made it through. But now it was time for Ethan to fall for someone that wasn't part of his past. I hated that ...more
Megan
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a spectacular book because it really did keep me guessing. There were times when I thought I knew who the killer was but then something else would happen and I would get confused a little bit because it would throw me off. But I did end up guessing the right person as the killer. Ethan was so sweet and caring and even though the beginning was a little strange I liked how the book ended.
Kayla
Dec 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this plot & sequence of events. Loved the characters - they're charming & easy to get attached to. The only downfall was the editing - lots of errors that bugged me a tad. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this read. I <3 Shannon's work.
Laura Shellhorn
I really liked the story but it could have used a better edit. Maybe it was the copy I received on kindle ( I know sometimes the format is messed up ) but there were missing words. Other than that the story was cute and I hope there is a second book! I feel their story isn't complete!
Holly Stone
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously give me the 2nd book already!!!
Kim
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most incredible story. I hope you share more stories like this with us.
Will there be a second book in this series?
Audio-Bibliophiles: Through the Lens 1 9 Oct 10, 2013 09:48AM

• Defy the Stars
  • Tight Knit
  • None of the Regular Rules
  • Dizzy
  • Love and Skate (Love and Skate, #1)
  • Falling
  • My Only (Versions, #1)
  • Chasing Leah (Journey, #1)
  • Something More
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Eighteen at Last (Wilson Mooney #2)
  • Twisted
  • Mia's Heart (The Paradise Diaries, #2)
  • This Love of Mine (Raine, #1)
  • What You Do to Me (Unexpected Love, #1)
  • My Stupid Girl
  • All the Right Moves
  • Chasing After Infinity
Shannon first love was reading, diving into other realities to explore and brave new worlds. To share her writing is the best experience of all. She writes both young adult, new adult and adult fiction. When Shannon isn't writing she loves to shop and watch horror movies that make turning out the lights seem like a stupid idea. You can explore more about her at her website www.shannondermott.com. ...more

Through the Lens (2 books)
  • Broken Lens (Through the Lens, #2)