Start by marking “Unbeautifully Loved (Breathe Again, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unbeautifully Loved (Breathe Again, #1)

Unbeautifully Loved (Breathe Again #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,942 Ratings  ·  305 Reviews
Lexie Todd has held on to three simple words to make it through life’s challenges:

Life. Goes. On.

These words comforted her though circumstances that weren’t always easy, but more importantly, it offered her the promise of something more... someday.

Lexie knows what she needs to do after dealing with years of abuse at the hands of her son’s father. Enlisting the help of her
Published April 25th 2013 by Emma Grayson (first published April 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Unbeautifully Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unbeautifully Loved

Alexis *Reality Bites*
SPOILER FREE REVIEW -mature content reader discretion is advised.
3.5 STARS out of 5
Genre: Romantic Suspense

photo 79145fef-5ba7-494d-b551-0f0b1dab81d7_zpsc986a98a.jpg

photo tumblr_mi54bhyI931r2lvl8o1_1280_zps69f24bd9.jpg

Lexie and her young son Finn have been on the run from her abusive ex with the support of her best friend Mollie. Moving from place to place has not been easy for the trio. Their new destination in the small town of Camden seems to be the perfect place to settle in.

Lexie soon finds a job at a local bar(Fishers). Even though Lex knows to have her guard up at all times from being on the run;
★Emilia★
Apr 27, 2013 ★Emilia★ rated it it was ok

Where do I begin??.....
Headache GIFS photo: Interwebz Headache modfam2.gif

We meet Lexi, who is on the run with her son and best friend Mollie, trying to escape an abusive ex. After months of being on the run they find the perfect town to settle in. Here she meets Lukas,who happens to be in the right place at the right time when she needs him!!

Sounds like a good book, right? I thought so, too! The book had so much potential but just fell short! It was like watching a Lifetime movie gone completely wrong!

The biggest thing I disliked was the heroi
~ Becs ~
 photo unbeautifullylovedquoterific_zps619eecf3.jpg

We begin with Lexie, her son Finn and her best friend on the run from her extremely violent and drug-addicted boyfriend Dex. (OK had to giggle a bit at Lex & Dex!) They've been running for months, moving from town to town but Mollie insists that they try and settle down and make a life for themselves and they arrive in Camden, determined to make a fresh start.

Despite always being in fear of Dex finding her, Lexie attempts to make a fresh start and gets a job in a local bar Fishers. She once
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews

Nichole's Sizzling Reviews

Sizzling Pages @ Facebook

Twitter:@Sizzlingpages

Okay so where have I been this whole time this book has been out?? Oh my gosh, we at Sizzling Pages are like Alpha HOUND DOGS. We have a nose for books with possessive-don’t - touch- what’s - mine Alphas!!

Lukas Gunn ...so totally perfect!!

This guys from the first encounter just took my heart. He’s strong, sexy, bossy and arrogant. But most of all this guy is PROTECTIVE and he also LOYAL in t
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
3.5 Stars!

I enjoyed this book, Lexie's past broke my heart. The characters were very well written and I felt a connection with everyone except Lukas, I would've loved to get inside his head, he seemed like such an intense and open person. He never hid his feelings from Lexie, she new he wanted her from the get go even if she didn't want to see it. Lexie came off as a very independent and strong woman, which made sense if you look at her difficult past. She frustrated me though when Lukas would t
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
Jan 28, 2013 J *deep in the heart of Texas* rated it really liked it
4 Lukas Loving Stars!

So...this was a storyline that I have read before. But I will say, this one was done pretty well. With that being said, I did find a few things to be odd and not really make sense but they didn't really take away from the story too much.

We have Lexie, our heroine, who is on the run--with her almost 5 year old son Finn and her best friend Mollie--from her abusive ex-boyfriend Dex. For the last 8 months they have been moving from town-to-town to keep him from finding them.

Thei
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
2.5 stars.

It kind went like this...

Sad past. (Yawn). Lots of hot guys. (Who's the hero supposed to be again?) Victimized again. (This chick has some serious bad luck ). Hot motorcycle riding hero. (Oh, and loins are all aquiver). Insta-love (that never ever gets deeper). Lots and lots of poor decision makings by our never-learns-from-past-mistakes heroine. (Should I be concerned about a stalker?) Hot sex (this earns two stars). One interesting twist (in an otherwise predicable mystery). And, a
Alpha Possessive Heroes
“This dress and those shoes are for me, no one else Peaches. This is what you do to me.” He pushed into me again, “So, only for me.” His voice was rough, like he was having a difficult time holding himself back.

Lukas is a one panty dropping hunky alpha male. He's demanding, bossy, gorgeous, caveman, sexy and super alpha. The way he growled... sigh. this man.. I would do anything... and I mean anything just to have him! I'm into possessive heroes and I gotta say, Lukas is in my list!

Mollie (Lex
Britney
Feb 07, 2013 Britney rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favs, strong-alpha
4.5 Stars!

"This dress and those shoes are for me, no one else Peaches. This is what you do to me.” He pushed into me again, “So, only for me.”

Lukas is one hot, demanding, take charge, persistent, gorgeous, caveman, panty melting alpha! I LOVED him!!! He was sweet and never gave up in his quest to not only have Lexi but her body, mind, soul and most of all, her heart. He wanted it all from her and he was determined not to stop until he had it all!

Their chemistry was sizzling!

“Wanna kiss you
Diana
Really wanted to like this book more than I did. This is my favorite plot when reading and I had heard good things about it and the author. I found as the book got to the meat of the story, I found it very unlikely that the h would do so many stupid things. She was very wishy-washy in her thinking. One minute she berated herself for not listening to others about the ex and then she turned around and stood her ground against others for telling her to be careful with a certain stranger. He gave th ...more
Keely
Apr 29, 2013 Keely rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of promise, but ended up missing the mark quite a bit. There was the mystery, but it was written too obviously. There was sex, but it was written without romance. There was the attempt to show the growth of a character through previous trauma, but the way it was written, made it hard to connect with said character.

(view spoiler)
Emily
Lexie Todd never understood the desire to love until she met her boyfriend Dex, he showered her with attention only to break her later. To Lexie love is tainted when it comes to men, she loves her son but the abuse she suffered is not an occurrence she wants to relive again.

And then she meets him, a man on a bike who peaks her interest. Interest enough to watch him, but not enough to pursue anything with him. However, she has never met a man like Detective Lukas Gunn.

Lukas knows the instant he s
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
May 19, 2013 Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Being on the run for the past eight months is not easy for Lexie and her best friend Mollie especially when they carry with them an innocent little boy who thinks that them moving to different places is just a simple adventure. But the truth is they’re running away from her abusive ex.

All she wanted was a solid life without them moving and constantly looking over their shoulders. Lexie is definitely not deceiving herself because she knows that her ex - Dex will eventually come and find them.

---
Jessy (Jessy's Book Club)
As posted on http://jessysbookclub.wordpress.com/

Lexie is on the run from an abusive ex. She, her bestfriend Molly, and her son Finn move to Camden and they all feel as though they could finally make it their home. Lexie is not deceiving herself however, she knows that Dex, her ex, will always find them and prepares herself for the eventuality.

The town is also home to Lukas Gunn… a super sexy son of a gun :)At first glance Lexie can feel that he’s different, but again doesn’t allow herself to ho
Jeannette
May 22, 2013 Jeannette rated it did not like it
I like books where characters have to overcome their personal demons/issues so this one seemed like a pretty good choice. Not really. While Lexie was smart enough to finally leave her abusive boyfriend she seems to turn dumb when they end up in Camden. She ignores her gut feelings of being watched, refuses the help of police/new guy even after being saved from an attack, she keeps the fact that someone is sending her creepy gifts to herself and when she finally fesses up to police/new guy she ig ...more
Lauren
Jan 10, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
WOW. Okay this is just a month of great books. I LOVED this book. It reminded me exactly of Kristen Ashley. Seriously, if you like Kristen Ashley you will love this book. It is literally filled with alpha males and extremely strong heroins. It had a beautiful small town back story, tons of hot sex scenes, emotional trauma, etc. Emma Grayson is an amazing author, one to look out for. I cannot wait for the next book in the series! I know this series is going to be amazing. I would absolutely recom ...more
Emilie
Nov 14, 2015 Emilie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f
My god I've never seen a MC so stupid: "There is a stalker after me...I'm scared to death *sob*...Lukas doesn't want me to leave the house but I'm gonna leave the house anyway....Oh no bad guy found me, I shouldn't have left the house *sob again*........" IDIOT!!!!!

So the stars are clearly not for her but for hot sexy Lukas who is the perfect boyfriend. I don't know why he fell in love with her but he was enough for me to keep reading.

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Apr 25, 2013 CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD rated it really liked it
I like this book, it's different in a way, bit of surprise towards the end... there were times I kept thinking Lex would do something stupid and yeah she did, just like in movies. I was wondering what Dex was thinking in his last moment...
Louise Ramsey
Mar 22, 2013 Louise Ramsey rated it liked it
Well that left a lot of unanswered questions!

Looks like the next book is for other characters but yet the main mystery in this book was left wide open.

And for that reason its a 3 from me as it felt like the author just forgot to close that storyline!
MandaLee
I wanted to love this! And I did at times. But overall, I just don't know.
I will try again when the next book in the series is released.
J
Jan 05, 2013 J rated it really liked it

~"I know you've been hurt in the past Lex, more than anyone deserves. I've seen the pain and the darkness that haunts your eyes but I've noticed it slowly begin to fade away and turn into this incredible light that brightens your eyes, making them even more beautiful than they are and I won't stop 'till that light is all I see." ~

Umm SWOON…..

Lexie is on the run from her abusive ex, Dex.
With her best friend, Molly who will do anything to keep her safe, and her 5yr old son, Finn, they move to
Anja ~ Once Upon a Page ⚜️ Books and Tequila
Right off the bat, I frigging loved this book! It had me captivated from page one and I had trouble putting it down. And I hate to say it but I hated my family a bit for distracting me, and well the fact that I needed sleep and such earthly distractions.

Lexie's story was heartbreaking, yet also beautiful. Emma Grayson managed to represent a victim of abuse and their frame of mind brilliantly and very believable. It's not easy to pull this off in a believable manner, and Grayson managed this with
Nicole
Unbeautifully Loved is Emma Grayson’s debut novel? I can't get my head around how she... her first... Props to Emma Grayson! This book was near perfect. It stole my attention from the very first sentence and held it right to the last sentence. It was: Captivating. Heart-pounding. Chilling. Moving. Beautiful.

I haven’t read a great deal of romantic suspense novels before, but I can just tell that this is a standout for the genre. The plot will glue you to the edge of your seat, causing your heart
Heather andrews
Feb 17, 2013 Heather andrews rated it it was amazing
Mollie is the type of friend you'd most definitely would want to have on your side and Lexie is sure as hell lucky she has her, "never in my life have I had someone to look out for me the way you do. Not even my own parents, hell they kicked me to the curb when I got pregnant with Finn and I haven't seen or spoke to them since he was born. But you, you were there every step of the way, you Mollie Evans are more than my best friend, you're mine and Finn's family and I should have trusted you righ ...more
Jennifer☠Pher☠
May 13, 2013 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it liked it
This is a hard one to rate and review. I liked the book. I can’t really say anything bad about it, it was good and the story was good there was just something. I was warned ahead of time that I would probably find Lex annoying or frustrating, I didn’t really find her anything. I didn’t feel too much while reading. I didn’t like her or dislike her. I wasn’t angry or sad. I didn’t feel much for any of the characters but was still interested in the story. That didn’t make me not want to read it or ...more
Gemma
I loved it!!

Wish it could have been a little longer, that way it could have developed the story a little more. We could have delved into Luscas character a little more, although seriously what a hot alpha male!

I wish our main girl Lexi didn't fall for him or have feelings/notice him so quickly, would have gone a little better with her being "broken" but neither of those two things deter from my 5 start rating, just me nit picking.

Wish this wasn't her first book, so I could have a total Emma Gra
Jeanie Stiles
Apr 23, 2013 Jeanie Stiles rated it did not like it
If I can say one thing about this book, it would be ... REFUND. I so wish I could get one. I wasted a day reading this; it took me longer because it was so boring. This is the first book in the series and there was a lot of sloppy set ups for the books to come. What happens when we get big set ups? We get big unanswered questions at the end of the book. Besides that there was the alpha sexy male, the deranged male, the mysterious male, the stalker male, the old do-gooder male and the sleazy male ...more
Tracy
May 04, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Tracy by: Flirty and Dirty Blog
Shelves: love-storys
Emma, I am so glad you wrote this book. I was great, awesome, the characters and story line. Its like you looked into my life and was writing about me, I may not have gone though everything in this book but its close. People could tell me thing that were not right, but being young and thoughts of being in love I didn't listen. But I did get a beautiful daughter out of it. I typed (it) because it was not a relationship or love. I did marry a police officer and he loves our daughter as his, and ne ...more
Shay
May 01, 2013 Shay rated it liked it
This author has to be influenced by Kristen Ashley. It totally had that type of vibe. I'm all for it, but the heroine was pretty damn dense and that is not a Kristen Ashley influence. Everyone seemed too laid back about all the drama that was going on. They kept getting these "feelings," but no one did anything about it. By the time the ish went down, I was like, "That's what your stupid a** gets!" She walked head first into it and I could barely sympathize. First half of the book was pretty goo ...more
Felecia Hickman- amaya
May 12, 2013 Felecia Hickman- amaya rated it it was amazing
Emma Grayson you have written a beautiful love story. It was amazing Lexie and Lukas's story is filled with Love, Passion, Trauma and healing . So happy with the ending . I was on edge the entire story I was up till 4am reading when I had to be up at 630 I couldn't stop reading I needed what was next. I love books that draw out all my emotions .

Looking forward to Kane even though your sneak peak left me in tears
  • Strong Enough (Strong, #1)
  • Painted Lines
  • The Sixteenth Need (Partlow, #1)
  • Fight or Flight (Fight or Flight, #1)
  • Breathe into Me (Breathe into Me, #1)
  • Moving Forward (Timing is Everything, #1)
  • Rock Me Slowly (Buried Alive Rockers, #1)
  • Safe (Conquering, #1)
  • Lost in Distraction (Lost, #1)
  • Wrong Kind of Love (Young Love, #4)
  • All the Right Moves
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • Pieces of Truth (Pieces of Lies, #2)
  • Juilliard or Else
  • Color of Loneliness (Color, #1)
  • Give Me Love (Give Me, #1)
  • Because of You (Playing with Fire, #2)
  • Second Rate Chances

Emma Grayson is a Canadian author who resides outside of Edmonton, Alberta with her family and young son. She is Amazon’s Bestselling author of Unbeautifully Loved, the first book of the Breathe Again series, as well as it’s follow up, Unbearable Guilt. She is also the author of Take it All and Promise it All, a series inspired by real events of her life.

When Emma’s not writing she enjoys time wit
More about Emma Grayson...

Breathe Again (3 books)
  • Unbearable Guilt (Breathe Again, #2)
  • Untitled (Breathe Again, #3)