Start by marking “Hacker Mom” as Want to Read:
Hacker Mom

Hacker Mom

Becky Taylor seems like a typical suburban stay-at-home mom with a loving husband and an adorable son, but she has a secret. In between juggling judgmental playgroup moms, an intense career-minded prosecutor of a husband, and a sister who can’t stop reminding her of her old ambitions, Becky moonlights for one of the world's most controversial websites, helping to expose st ...more
Published December 31st 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published September 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hacker Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hacker Mom

Shelly
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vicky Ross, Denise
1/1/13
Wow! Rachlis pulled it back on track and finished like she started! Yay! It was disappointing because just as I was getting into the chapter it ended and I realized it is the final installment! I'm learning to read without having to have everything wrapped up in a neat bow and this is definitely one of those. I enjoyed it!

12/1/12
Ahh, only 4 episodes and it turns pedestrian. Such a shame because the beginning was sooo good.

November
This is a serial book and while it's not finished, just 3 in
Julie
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
In the interest of full disclosure, I received this as a free PDF since I entered a GR giveaway to get a free print copy. It took me a while to finish it since I was reading so many other books at the same time, but here are my thoughts.

This was published as a serial, and in that format it does work. Each chapter is interesting. There is enough story in each chapter to stand on its own, but there is also the excitement to make the reader want to know what will happen next.

There were some errors
Tzippy
I mean, it's called Hacker Mom. Of course I was going to read it with a title like that. The problem is that the title is completely misleading: there is no character in this book who is both a mom and a hacker. So with that huge selling point out of the way, there's nothing else to really recommend this book. None of the characters are very likable or even compelling. The story is pretty interesting, but the writing isn't great.

Kindle serials are kind of like comics, both being serialized stori
Carla
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not a spectacular serial but it was fun, somewhat silly and generally enjoyable. My expectations weren't high (I've been a tech professional for a long time), which probably helped.

The serial format helped this book in small ways. I think I would have been frustrated by the writing in the middle (it gets a little heavy-handed) or the lack of character development if I hadn't been reading it in small parts. The plot was good but felt rushed at the end.

It was a fun serial experience, a
Deadhacker
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our main character doesn't do much hacking directly. It's more like she's a hacktivist & gets help from her sister, a former law-breaking hacker who has become a penetration tester. You get enough technical terms & name-dropping to provide the atmosphere promised by the title, but not so much that inaccuracies will annoy you. It's kind of a light-hearted techno-thriller. Unlike most techno-thrillers, in which there's a conspiracy that threatens life as we know it, the one in this book, w ...more
Jean
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Becky Taylor wants a career that allows her to fight for social justice instead she is a stay at home mom with a four year old son and a husband with an important career as a prosecutor.
She feels something is missing and her sister keeps reminding her of her ambition to fight for social justice. Becky discovers a disc with damaging information about a megabank. She begins covertly seeking information and exposes state and corporate secrets and now the Feds are on her trail.

The book is only five
Karen Uribe
I was a little disappointed in this book. Being in the Networking/PC profession, The Title lead me to believe other than what it really was. I won't go into detail in case you want to read it. Don't want to spoil it for anyone else. If I wasn't in the profession, I may have enjoyed it more.
Bcoghill Coghill
I want more! Waiting for next installment.
Heidi
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is another Kindle Serial I picked up. Its ok, and I'm interested in seeing if it actually goes anywhere, so I'll keep reading, just not sure it was worth the $1.99 yet.....
Angie
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first serial book and I'm curious what will come next. It's an easy and enjoyable read. I liked the 'hacking' / computer system theme and hope the author continues down this subject matter.
Sandy Samuel
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

This is different than any book I've ever read. I like this unique way of uncovering injustice. It's definitely original!
Barbara
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Fun story with the suspense based on how much people underestimate mothers
Kim Bishop
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Becky Taylor and her adventures with the highly controversial Open Whistle whistle blowing internet site is absolute genius! I love the idea of a stay at home mom getting involved in something so big and spectacular, all without disrupting her motherly duties.

Becky attends a hackers conference in Las Vegas to provide support to her sister Molly who will be a guest speaker. Molly used to be a notorious hacker and has now gone legit in the business world. During Becky's time there, sh
Susan
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2015
Techno-Mommy Chick Lit

What made the experience of listening to Hacker Mom the most enjoyable?

The entire experience as a whole package was enjoyable, I can't single out a single key element by itself.

What did you like best about this story?

I liked best that the focus was really more on the social interactions and psychological inner experiences of the protagonist.

Becky Taylor is a suburban soccer-mom with little to no technical background, no career and no specific aspirations, definitively sink
Meg
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a 2, because I was wavering between 2 and 3. In the end, I rounded down, because there just wasn't a lot here that impressed me.

A few things truly drove me nuts, and I spent the rest of the book waiting for them to be explained as more than just casual oversight:

1. A well-respected hacker finds a planted disk at DEF CON and just pops it into her computer? I can only believe this if she was traveling with a non-networked burner laptop, but even then, I would expect her to either i
Theda
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book as a free PDF.

I really enjoyed it, it is an easy read and a good story. I was able to fall right in and see the places and people Austen is describing.

There are some minor spelling errors but that does not take away from the story BUT I think there are loose ends in this story and one that is really bugging me is Marcys Chapter.

Why the hell would you write about a girl that gets raped and desperately tries to escape this situation and then NEVER EVER mention her again? I am
Teri
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I felt Hacker Mom by Austen Rachlis was a disappointment. Hacker Mom was released as a Kindle serial, with a different chapter released every month or so. I have read chapter books before (King's Green Mile and John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles) and liked the idea of a chapter book on my e-reader. The book was a bit hard to get into, but I liked the idea of a different "hacking job" coming up in each chapter. Ultimately, though I felt it fell flat. The overall plot was a bit discombobulated and ...more
Melissa
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-gave-away
****won from goodreads giveaway****

I was pretty excited about winning this book, it sound like a fun book to read. I was a bit disappointed in it though. (view spoiler)

Some parts of this book were a bit random and never totally fit with other parts and there was an entire section where a new character was brought in but then it never went anyw
Elaine
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I was given an ebook version of this title and read it in one day. It was a good tale, interesting twists and very readable. I do wish it had been longer and had more character development and full background stories (esp. for the villian).

The idea of a housewive turned hacker was cute (very Scarecrow and Mrs. King) but not very believable. Someone with as little apparent computer savvy as the main character couldn't hack corporate accounts, you can't learn via osmosis from your legendary hacke
Jenny
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-author
I received this as a free PDF after I entered a giveaway to get a free copy of the book. I didn't know until after seeing some other reviews that this was published as a serial. The story flows well and I had been actually thinking that it would have made a nice ongoing series or trilogy. Is it a 5 star master piece destined to be a classic? Of course not. But, on the whole, it was a fun read with some interesting plot turns. I'd actually give this 3 1/2 Stars if I could...
Jim
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the first "serial" I have read so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I must have liked it because each time a new episode arrived I went straight to it on my Kindle. I suppose it may have been thin in places, more character development (although the detective was fairly unforgettable) and some more insight to the underground world of hacking, would have made for a bit less bubble gum and a bit more steak. Overall though this series was a lot of fun.
Kris Potratz
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this as a goodread promotional copy.

Well - that was one of those kinds of books that was kind of just there. I didn't love it - didn't hate it. Some of the characters and connections got really convoluted and I wasn't quite sure why we got so much back story on some (James for instance) and virtually none on others (Ego).

Full Review:
Lara Polk
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hacker Mom is an interesting book. There are so many twist and turns you think your on a roller coaster. Though when I got to the end, I felt like the story was not finished - I really wanted to hear the whole story. I recommend it - it is a good suspense book and it will keep you wondering.
Linda Lynn Hedderman
Becky Taylor, a young mother, attends a hacker convention with her sister and four year old son in tow. An minor accidental encounter leads her on a journey with a lot of risks. She ends up leading a double life that could spell big trouble for her and her family.
Sabrina
Another interesting serialized story to entertain me over lunch. I really enjoyed the nice break this provided in my work day. The story provided just the right mix of episode and long-term plot that it kept me interested.
Chelsea
I didnt feel that it was a waste of my time but i had trouble following along. I wasnt fond of the switching back and forth between characters. some we never see again in the story. However thisbook did have some laughs and it was a quick read.
Jo-Anne
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
The characters were interesting and I really liked Becky.

It was very different from any other book I have read. Not a page-turner for me and not my type of story. I didn't find it terribly interesting.

I think this would have been better on TV.
Carolyn D'Argenio
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was a struggle to pay attention to a book called Hacker Mom that didn't have a hacker mom in it. I suppose Uploader Mom or Whistle Blower Mom were already taken. Seriously, it was outdated in parts that made no sense for it to be. And the characters weren't developed enough.
Bette
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Breezy and fun. I had to read a book by a writer whose first name is Austen!
Darren
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book. I enjoyed it alot. A very well written book,for sure.

• The Tragedy of Fidel Castro
  • The Org: The Underlying Logic of the Office
  • The Many Lives of Lilith Lane
  • Happiness it's just a habit
  • Inside Rehab: The Surprising Truth About Addiction Treatment—and How to Get Help That Works
  • Dayclean
  • Seeing Red (Brenna Rutherford Mysteries, #1)
  • Wide Awake A Vampire Romance
  • Sailors of Stonehenge
  • Every Perfect Gift (Hickory Ridge, #3)
  • The Origin Novel (Seeds from Heaven #3)
  • Come to the Table (A SouledOut Sisters Novel #2)
  • The Freelancer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Have the Career of Your Dreams—On Your Terms
  • Love is Strong as Death
  • Company Orders
  • The House That Crack Built
  • Life Skills: How to Do Almost Anything
  • A History of the Present Illness
Austen Rachlis received her MFA with Honors in screenwriting from Columbia University. In 2009, FOX optioned her pilot script, "Borderlines," as part of its Writer's Initiative. She co-wrote the short film "Loop Planes," which was jointly funded and produced by Killer Films (Boys Don't Cry, Far From Heaven) and Massify.com. It premiered at SXSW and has gone on to screen at over 50 film festivals i ...more