Start by marking “The Hit” as Want to Read:
The Hit

The Hit

2.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,507 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
Take it. Live it. F*** it.

A new drug is out. Everyone is talking about it. The Hit. Take it, and you have one amazing week to live. It's the ultimate high. At the ultimate price.

Adam is tempted. Life is rubbish, his girlfriend's over him, his brother's gone. So what's he got to lose? Everything, as it turns out. It's up to his girlfriend, Lizzie, to show him...
Published April 4th 2013 by Chicken House (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hit, please sign up.
Julia The story is told by a third-person narrator, who follows multiple persons.

Sanne | Booksandquills
The Hit is about a boy called Adam, who isn’t exactly with happy his life. The girl he likes doesn’t seem to be too impressed with him and his brother is gone. When he hears that there’s a new drug in town, called Death, he’s tempted to try it. It will give you one amazing week… and then you die.

I thought the concept of the book sounded very interesting, but soon after I started reading, I was quite disappointed. The main characters, Adam and Lizzie, are some of the ‘flattest’ characters I’ve ev
Ash Wednesday
2.5 STARS
One week was time enough to do everything in the world so long as you lived hard enough, fierce enough, young enough, true enough. The rest of it was just waiting to die.

And the moral of the story is:

I think.

Had this ended differently it would have been a 3. Had this ended differently and owned up as a parody, I may have given it a reluctant 4. But since it did neither and just epically failed in the delivery of a message with a massive potential for philosophical depth and introspect
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I wanted so badly to be able to give this book 5 stars. And not only because it was my birthday book. And it has my surname in. Even if it's the bad guys. My name isn't exactly common and doesn't pop up in print often.

Melvin Burgess is one of my firm favourite authors and his books always shock, filled with controversy. But this book didn't quite live up to my expectations, and perhaps it's my own expectations which have disappointed me. I couldn't help but compare The Hit to Junk, they're by th
Emma Sea
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, I'm not the market for this book, but I thought it was great. The average rating is only 2.9, which is just highly suprising to me. That's a whole lot of disappointed readers!

This was my first Burgess book, so I had no preconceptions, and it seems like the fair to middling reviews are frequently from people who find this compares unfavourably to some of his other works. In this case my ignorance was a distinct advantage.

I thought the MCs were compelling and completely believable. Again, I a
Anna
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
i read this 4 years ago actually but didnt feel, like leaving a review, dont know from what i remember despite the interesting consept it was rather boring and the hero and heroine were both rather horrible people, when you think abought it, especilly hero, such a selfish guy
Guna
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I bought this book because Bookdepository had made quite a fuss about it, and it sounded promising and exciting (note to self: do not trust their promotions).
Unfortunately, not the case. It was a very unconvincing read, and I did not care about the characters at all, everyone was such a prick; besides, the ending was so cheesy and predictable. Well, of course, it has a morale and all (life is so precious, yada, yada), but it was too young-adult for me (should have made a note of it prior to purc
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I absolutely loved reading when I was very young, but when I went to high school things changed and I found myself rarely reading until the age of 18! However, there was one book during that period that I did read, one that was recommended to me by a teacher and it was a book that quickly became a favourite. That book was Junk by Melvin Burgess, a young adult story based around drugs. When I heard about The Hit, another book with a storyline based around drugs, I was full of excitement - could i ...more
Mikhail Koulikov
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-read-ya
What starts off as an interesting premise quickly descends into needless, gratuitous, and lazily-written sex and violence - the author wants to match Guy Ritchie movies and Japanese ero-guro manga, but has no idea how to set up an engaging action scene.
Pamela
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one ever in the history of ever.
I've never read anything by Burgess before, and I don't think I ever will. Smack and Doing It are the most recognizable titles (i.e. they're in my YA collection), but if they're anything like this one ...

This was probably one of the more misogynistic novels I've ever read. Seriously. I tried to reason on what was going on--thinking perhaps that Burgess was creating the characters this way on purpose, and that the reader was somehow supposed to realize that what was going on was very, very wrong,
카 트리 나
Făcând abstracție de anumite lucruri, per total e o carte cu un mesaj puternic ce este înțeles de orice cititor datorită stilului simplist în care este scrisă.

Recenzie: https://catrinaionescu.blogspot.ro/20...
Tom Donaghey
Perhaps the future isn’t completely bleak and terrible as Melvin Burgess’s latest teen-lit novel, THE HIT, proposes. While there is despair and bleakness for the youth of Manchester, England, there is also the possibility of love. Of course, in Burgess’s hands, love is very complicated, being 17 is even worse, and both together are almost a total catastrophe.
Adam is the younger of two sons. His brother, the chemist, helps supports the family single-handedly now that their father can’s work due
Akhmal Aiman
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
It is an OK book. I'd give it 2.5 ratings.

It's about a boy named Adam who apparently is still a kid (15 years old) and Burgess should have made him 20 of age, because the whole chaos he goes through in the book = impossible. Gunshots, so much blood involved, rape, sex, pedophilia, murder, illegal driving.

So Adam and his girlfriend, Lizzie, they're both young teens and I'm sorry, I have an issue with the age.

My second issue would be the storyline. If you expect the story to be about the nature o
Dorian de Jandreau
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I bought this book as soon as I saw it in online bookstore. I didn‘t know one of my favorite writers wrote a new book. I immediately ordered it and waited to get it. When I got it, I started reading it while walking home from post office. Melvin Burgess is one of my favorite writers since I was a teen. I read all his books that are translated in Lithuanian. Even now, when I‘m adult, I still like to read his books. I buy every new book that appears in Lithuania like crazy and read it as fast as I ...more
Lauren
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
This book was like an episode of Pretty Little Liars; nothing but a massive anti-climax.

It had so much potential to begin with and the beginning was enjoyable even, hence the 2.5 star rating, and then it turned into a story that I was reading just for the sake of finishing it. The characters were shallow, the plot was predictable and the ending was dull and anti-climactic. Yawn.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
~ Buddy read with Elena ~

DNF'D at p87.
This book had the potential to be good, but unfortunately it fell flat.
I found the book boring and I didn't connect with any of the characters.
Sadly I didn't enjoy this book.
MissPlacebo
I really liked the idea that you would have the best week of your life but need to die after it, yet i think there was more potential.
Megan
My thoughts on Melvin Burgess’ The Hit are so muddled I don’t even know where to begin. I ignored the average rating on Goodreads and requested this months ago because I loved the sound of the blurb. I mean, a drug that keeps you high for a week before you die? And a protagonist who takes it?! The book sounded so damn original and had such high potential that I thought it couldn’t be that bad.

Oh, how very, very wrong I was.

WHAT I LIKED

1. The premise: The Death Pill, as this new drug is known as,
Mary
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Um - a very hard book to judge. Here is why.
This book has:
1. Horrific violence.
2. Unlikeable characters.
3. Skin-crawlingly awful villains.
4. A scarily believable setting, and
5. Good plotting.

I gave it three stars because I did not enjoy it. But I found it both thought-provoking and compulsively readable. It's a much more believable dystopian world than, for example, the one in the "Divergent" series.

As the story begins, 17-year-old Adam is at a concert with his girlfriend. Rumor has it that the
Bibliofiendlm
Anne
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Adam is a lost soul with a bleak future after losing out to a football career, with distant parents, a "perfect" brother, living in a future recession where people are rioting against the government. What does he have to live for?

He takes Death, a drug supposed to give him an amazing high and 7 days before his demise. His realistic (for aTeenage boy) Bucket List includes getting a girl, Lizzie, pregnant amongst even more sex, drugs and violence. He wants his end to be as dramatic as that of his
Kimberly
Possibly the most unpleasant YA book I've ever read. It seemed to relish torturing its principal female character and I never got the point of the revolution perpetrated by the Zealots, nor really what they were agitating against. I find it hard to believe so many people would take a pill that kills them after a week, not matter how great the trip or how awful their circumstances (and I guess I just didn't see how the circumstances were much different from our own). Maybe it was a big metaphor a ...more
Liam
Picked this up because The Book Depository emailed me with a "Hey there'll only be 500 of these and it's hardback and it's signed" and, being the impulsive idiot I am, I immediatly bought it. I did the same with the TBD Hardback Slipcover edition of China Mieville's Railsea (which I still haven't read).

Now onto the book. I really like the concept - with the Death pills and so on. Had it been set a bit further into the future I think it would have made for a great cyberpunk dystopia premise - as
Erin
ARC for review

I've never read Burgess's seminal SMACK (I was in my early twenties when it was published so my reading material was mostly PROSSER ON TORTS) so I was looking forward to trying my first book by him. I enjoyed it, but was a bit underwhelmed. While I enjoyed the "rage against the machine" spirit and loved the entire idea of a drug that allows an individual to live a great life for a week, then perish, I found the writing choppy and the plotting a bit off (a criminal mastermind would
Melanie Marsh
I thought this was a good idea for a story. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the execution. I liked the novel in itself. However, I felt that Adam was kind of whiney, and Lizzie was an okay female character. The idea that a drug will allow you 7 days of greatness for the ultimate price, death was interesting to me. I felt though that the author did not know how to make up a story around it. I felt that a lot of things were just thrown in to add drama. All in all I thought this book okay, a ...more
Summer (Summer winterr)
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-like
To be honest I thought this book was just crap. I loved the idea and basic storyline but not the way it was written. I didn't get attached to any of the characters and I felt like this books was just rushed. I felt this could have been a lot more detailed and stretched out, at the end it felt like the author couldn't conjure up a decent ending so wrote the most boring and predictable thing he could think of.
Pia
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A two star rating is incredibly generous. Even after ignoring the countless grammatical errors in just 300 pages I still disliked most of this. I absolutely hated the Adam and every other character was just so...forced. Even while writing this I am still contemplating dropping it down to 1 star.It's a shame, a far better writer could have written a much better story from this concept. Oh well, at least I know which author to avoid in the future.
Ellen Zarate
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: violent, ya
This book revisits the question, "What would you do if you had one week to live?". While the story is exciting and action-packed, I found Burgess' answers to be uninspired and the book predictable. If you're looking for existential insight, pass on this read. If you want a really good take on the answers you'd expect, pick up this ultra violent, thrill-a-second book and prepare for a cover to cover reading session.
Eden Grey
Apr 26, 2014 marked it as maybe-finish-later
Read 2 chapters. DNF.
Shane
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-books
There is a line in this book that says" the amazing thing was how quickly life went from total adrenalin rush to utterly boring" well that pretty much sums up this book.
Cynthia Khan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars cause it was an usual read
  • The Baby
  • Cross My Heart
  • My Second Life
  • Dead Romantic
  • Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Nightwanderers
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Salvage
  • Awakenings (Kiera's Quest, #1)
  • On a Clear Day
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • The Drowning (The Drowning #1)
  • By Any Other Name
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
Melvin Burgess is a British author of children's fiction. His first book, The Cry of the Wolf, was published in 1990. He gained a certain amount of notoriety in 1996 with the publication of Junk, which was published in the shadow of the film of Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting, and dealt with the trendy and controversial idea of heroin-addicted teenagers. Junk soon became, at least in Britain, one of ...more
More about Melvin Burgess

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He longed for the oblivion at the end of it, but lacked the courage to face the fall” 4 likes