Start by marking “Prip'Yat: The Beast of Chernobyl” as Want to Read:
Prip'Yat: The Beast of Chernobyl

Prip'Yat: The Beast of Chernobyl

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  307 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Unaware of the special forces operation, two cousins from Kiev sneak away and travel to Prip'Yat under the cover of night, excited to finally explore and experience the forbidden place....
And the ab
Published November 19th 2012 by Fading Light Press

To ask other readers questions about Prip'Yat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prip'Yat

Linda Lipko
Pripyat is a town that was built near the Urkranie nuclear power plant of Chernobyl. in the town, approximately 36 hours after reactor 4 at the nuclear power plant in Chernobyl spewed more radioactivity that released in the bombings of Hirosima and Nagasaki, Japan, were evacuated by bus.

Believing they would return to their homes shortly after evacuation, all belongings were left. Today nature has taken over as trees grow through concrete, paint peals, a ferris wheel, registering high levels of r
Claire Fun
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ooh, creepy!

I really enjoyed this. It was generally well written , with believable characters, and was a fun, quick, and exciting scary romp in the dark. Setting it in Pripyat was a great idea - I've long been fascinated by the thought of this abandoned ghost town, and the writer has clearly done his homework and knows his subject. I've spent a lot of time on their version of Google street view 'walking around' pripyat and have followed all the tour photos from visitors, and this book covered a
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
4.5 stars...

I loved the use of Chernobyl as a setting and getting glimpses of what the city was like before and after the fallout. I wish the story would have expanded a little more though on some areas i.e. like what the "Beast of Chernobyl" actually is, how it came to be, why it was "taking" some and not others to its den and how it travelled from China to Chernobyl. Exactly why I've never been a huge fan of short stories and novellas. This one is worth checking out though.
chucklesthescot
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fiction, horror
Dimitri and Yuri have been fascinated by the strange tales of Prip'Yat, abandoned in the wake of the Chernobyl explosion. Rumours of hauntings and monsters intrigue the boys who decide on an overnight trip into the forbidden zone to explore for themselves rather than the official guided tours . The Ukraine government have become concerned about something strange happening in Prip'Yat and ask the Russian government for help. The Russians decide to send a two man special forces Spetsnaz team in th ...more
Angela Crawford
From the book description:

From author Mike Kraus, creator of the bestselling Final Dawn series, comes a new book: Prip'Yat: The Beast of Chernobyl Two Spetsnaz officers are dropped into the ghost city of Prip'Yat and tasked with investigating mysterious disturbances around the city and the nearby Chernobyl power plant.... Unaware of the special forces operation, two cousins from Kiev sneak away and travel to Prip'Yat under the cover of night, excited to finally explore and experience the forbidd
July Is The Shadow Out of Time The Haunted Reading Room
Review of PripYat: The Beast Chernobyl by Mike Krause

5 stars

“PripYat: The Beast Chernobyl” turned out to be so much more than I expected. I learned a lot about the Chernobyl explosion and its aftermath, including how it affected the nearest community, PripYat. I think everyone who supports the use of nuclear energy needs to read this. But the book is not a polemic: rather it is a sort of scientific paranormal, a very “possible” what if story.

Two adolescent boys who love to explore decide it’s sa
Romulo Reyes
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is what I usually refer to as bite-sized reading, checking in at 109 pages. A fun romp through the irradiated town of Prip'yat, this was a pretty typical horror/action tale with the exception of it taking place near Chernobyl. I liked the setting and it was well paced. The author also gives a decent amount of Chernobyl history so readers unfamiliar with the setting can quickly get accustomed to it. I like that not too many authors have used Chernobyl as a setting so that was neat. This prob ...more
Andrew
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a free ebook I cannot remember where I found however I decided to give it a go since I have found some truly amazing books this way.. I must admit I was quite surprised at how good it was - ok its not a ground breaking or trend setting book but its fast paced and tense and you really do want to read what happens next simply for the thrill of it. SO what can I say about this - well the title and description pretty much covers it, however the writing is tense, face and interesting making ...more
Mark Maguire
I enjoyed the descriptions surrounding the Nuclear Fall-out zone and the process of navigating through the lethal, and decaying infrastructure. However, I found the storyline to be predictable and the conclusion to be a disappointment.

The book is ideal for those looking for a quick, non-committal read or those with a passing interest in the fallout caused by Chernobyl.
Michelle
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, horror, kindle
Loved this book! Fast-paced and interesting story. Makes you really think about nuclear energy in a different light. I loved the historical background. Great book for anyone interested in historical fiction or horror.
David Dalton
I picked this up back in Jan of 2013. Just now got to reading it. I really liked it. Gave me a Predator (1st movie) type of feel set in Chernobyl. Pretty good monster action. Are there any more related titles? If so, count me in. Very moody and isolated feel to it.
Linc Park
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gypsy Madden
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though I love the mystique surrounding the disaster of Chernobyl and the idea of a city frozen in time, and, yes, I’m a fan of monster movies, I was perhaps not the right audience for this book. I found myself skipping over all the parts with the two soldier guys and I usually grumble about the movies that have one token female (so imagine my opinion when this story didn’t have any women in it. Couldn’t have maybe made one of the soldiers female?). Actually the soldier parts didn’t come off ...more
sergei
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
i'd say it's a good read, especially considering the still quite enigmatic subject-matter of Pripyat and Chernobyl disaster... i would easily rated it with 4 stars, but i couldn't shake off some inconsistencies: 1) name Lucas - there's no way a Ru/Uk soldier would be called that - could be Luka (but not Lucas, which is a Western name, as opposed to Eastern tradition)
2) at one point a store is described and a shopping cart is mentioned - could not have been so back in the 80s in the Soviet world
i
Kathryn Barnett
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4/11/17
PRIP 'YAT

This is a horror story for the modern world, and a darn good one.
Yuri and his cousin have been planning for years to go to Prip'yat the city outside of Chernobyl and look around. “They” say that there is still neat stuff to be found and it is safe if you take a geiger counter and watch where you walk. Sounds like a real good adventure, right? Boy are they SO wrong.
If you like a good horror story with non-stop action this is the one for you. Monsters might walk at night, oh wa
M. Sprouse
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book was a great change of pace for me. The eerie setting of the abandon Chernobyl area was very engrossing. I lean more toward science fiction than straight up horror so this book was spot on. The pace was perfect and the action frequent. My biggest complaint is that the book or novella, was just too darn short. The characters were interesting, but Kraus just scratched the surface of their development. Also, it seems to me that there were many adequate and interesting ways the story could ...more
Kim
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Yes, this is a short story and as such is missing some fun background info that has been mentioned by others in their reviews. BUT...two boys wandering around and abandoned town shut down by a nuclear tragedy years before whose wanderings just HAPPEN to coincide with a Spetznatz team scouting for an unknown "anomaly" makes for an edge of your seat story that pulls you along.
Marbea E. Logan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well damn I hope Yuri is still out their righting the wrongs of the government!
Ashley
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick read

This was not a mind blowing book, but it was entertaining. The description of the beast disappointed me. I will look into other work from this author.
Glenda
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy horror fans
Shelves: reviewed, horror
Prip'Yat kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through; Inever wanted to put it down. Mike gives you just enough details to never be confused, but he always leaves you wanting more.

I was given this book for free, but I am definitely going to be reading more of Mike's work!
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
Really enjoyed this book. Quick, easy read. Well rounded and well written story. Likable characters. Great action and setting. Definitely makes me want to read more by this author.
Donna
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Again, I wish we could give half-stars on our ratings. I'd give this a 3.5 stars, no worries. Interesting story. The writing was a little loose in a few places but overall it was just fine. My favourite part was actually the very last paragraph; it leaves you with a great sense of impending doom :)
Emily
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was somewhat predictable, but still a fun read.
Molli
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish this one.
Pam
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I love anything Chernobyl - good quick read.
Bill Lynas
What starts out as an atmospheric novella, set around Chernobyl & the deserted town of Prip Yat, soon turns into a rather average monster story.
Jessica
Mar 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Could have done without it

don't rush out to read this. not. very scary or anything really. read it in a total of three hours watching a movie so
Paula
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good fiction

It keeps you reading. It's mix of fact and fiction really makes the book. The characters are very believable and you really feel for them.
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved it! Reading this was like watching a movie in my head. I could visualize everthing that was happing to these people like I was right there with them. Really great quick read!
David Alyn
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly this book was quite interesting. I wasn't expecting much from it, but the premise intrigued me. Makes me want to visit Prip'Yat even more.
  • The Tide (The Tide, #1)
  • Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Southern Comfort
  • Worm
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat, #2)
  • Cain
  • Empire of the Dead (Arisen, #8)
  • WhiteSpace: Episode 1
  • Minutes to Burn
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Fast (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • We Stand On Guard #3
  • Renegades (The Colony, #2)
  • Orphan Black #4
  • Jeremy's Choice (The Peeling, #1)
  • Orphan Black: Helsinki #1 (of 5)
  • Savage Tide (Marika Hartmann, #2)