Start by marking “The Invisible Man” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Man

Read Book

The Invisible Man

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  136,272 ratings  ·  5,805 reviews
This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.
Published September 3rd 2002 by Signet Classics (first published February 2nd 1897)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Man, please sign up.
Mike MacDee If you want the opinion of someone who doesn't type like a text message, it's a pretty cool book with an interesting antihero -- sometimes you're not …moreIf you want the opinion of someone who doesn't type like a text message, it's a pretty cool book with an interesting antihero -- sometimes you're not sure whether you're supposed to be rooting for the townspeople who are plagued by the insane Griffin, or for Griffin who is treated poorly by the ignorant townsfolk for being strange. I'm guessing the other answers are probably from people who have no imagination or can't follow any fiction that was written before 1999.(less)
Brandon Book Nerd Yes, this book is definitely appropriate for teens! Although some parts may include some allegoric themes, such as the abusive of power, and how it mi…moreYes, this book is definitely appropriate for teens! Although some parts may include some allegoric themes, such as the abusive of power, and how it might drive you insane. But it was worth a read, although the ending is pretty bleak.(less)

·  136,272 ratings  ·  5,805 reviews

Start your review of The Invisible Man
Anne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Evil Scientists
Recommended to Anne by: Jeff
This is the story of how one angry, naked, sneezing albino managed to terrorize the English countryside.
To be quite honest, I expected a bit more from the people who fended off the Nazis for years. But Wells seemed to think his fellow countrymen would be a bit too inept to toss a sheet over this shivering bastard and punch him in the throat.
Instead?
This:

description

Attention:
1) There may be spoilers for this 100+ year old book in the review.
2) Only comment if you have a WORKING sense of humor.
3) Seriously
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this for 2 reasons. It was short and therefore conducive to my 30 day reading challenge where I read 30 books (this was book 7) AND I was filming the process for a book vs. movie review (which I've now scrapped because the book was average and the movie was terrible and I don't care about either of them anymore.)
Jacob
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
July 2010

In a very old episode of This American Life (listen here), John Hodgman asks the ultimate question: Flight vs. Invisibility? It’s an amusing party topic, a fun little game to play, but there’s actually more to it than that. As a “Super Rorschach Test,” the question is difficult to answer because the two choices both tell us very different things about ourselves. Flight is noble, something we aspire to; invisibility is a more primal desire, something hidden and mysterious. There’s even a
Leonard Gaya
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
At some point in Plato’s Republic (see II, 359b-360d), Glaucon argues with Socrates that men practice justice only out of fear of punishment and that if they could go unpunished, they would commit theft, rape and murder. Case in point: Gyges, whose legendary ancestor, a poor shepherd, once found a magic ring inside a cave. The man pocketed the golden ring and found out that wearing it made him invisible. Soon enough, he put this superpower to good use indeed, and went to the royal palace to rape ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Invisible Man, H.G. Wells

The Invisible Man is a science fiction novel by H. G. Wells. Originally serialized in Pearson's Weekly in 1897, it was published as a novel the same year. The Invisible Man of the title is Griffin, a scientist who has devoted himself to research into optics and invents a way to change a body's refractive index to that of air so that it neither absorbs nor reflects light and thus becomes invisible. He successfully carries out this procedure on himself, but fails in h
Delee
I have a feeling if I had read this on my own- my rating would have been 3 stars. So I would like to thank the following people for making this such an enjoyable buddy-read. You guys get a whole extra star all of your very own. No fighting when you split it among yourselves please.!!!!

Jeff, Stepheny, Anne, Tadiana, Dan 2.0, Jess, Evgeny, Dan, Alissa, Steve, Will, Christopher, Licha, Miriam, Jenna, Auntie J, Ginger, and Carmen

photo 6f34e2aa-2b48-4d06-a8c0-a06c98405aae_zpsx9sowpgz.jpg

"A room and a fire!"

On a cold blustery day in February- a mysterious ma
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
In this famous 1897 novel by H.G. Wells, a reclusive man, swathed in layers of clothing, moves into an English inn. He's unfriendly and angry, and when a burglary occurs, people start to wonder. As well they might!

The Invisible Man is a classic read with conflicts galore: Between society and the individual. Between lust for power and wealth, and the collective good of society. Between my literary side that wanted to ruminate on themes of alienation and self-absorption...

description

and my nerdling side th
Carmen
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Jeff
"Oh! - disillusionment again. I thought my troubles were over. Practically I thought I had impunity to do whatever I chose, everything - save to give away my secret. So I thought. Whatever I did, whatever the consequences might be, was nothing to me. I had merely to fling aside my garments and vanish. No person could hold me. I could take my money where I found it. I decided to treat myself to a sumptuous feast, and then put up at a good hotel, and accumulate a new outfit of property. I felt ama ...more
Jeff
This was part of a massive buddy read of this title and usually for a buddy read I do something other than a serious review.

Jeff, have you ever done a serious review?

*sigh*

I might do a poor rendering of a passage from the book, kind of in the author's style in order to embarrass a few of my Goodreads “friends”, who quite frankly usually have it coming or if I’m feeling inspired, I’ll do something really creative.

Jeff, do you set some sort of bar for “creative”? Is there a sliding scale? Define “
*TANYA*
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a kick to read classic books. Some of them have been hits and others misses, this is definitely a hit. It started off a bit slow but then ended with a bang. Great book!!
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Read for March Reading Sprint-2019 in Buddy Reads.

This was the most extraordinary tale.

“It’s very simple,” said the voice, “I’m an invisible man.”

Would you vanish if you found the secret to invisibility and try to gain all the advantages you could by concealing yourself from the human eyes? Yes? Most of us would. So did our friend in here.

I experienced a wild impulse to jest, to startle people, to clap men on the back, fling people's hats astray, and generally revel in my extraordinary advant
Evgeny
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a buddy read with the following people:
Jeff, Stepheny, Anne, Tadiana, Dan 2.0, Jess, Delee, Dan, Alissa, Steve, Will, Christopher, Licha, Miriam, Jenna, Auntie J, Ginger, and Carmen. Please let me know if I missed anybody.

A mysterious man came to an inn of a quiet and quite backward Sussex village. Would it be a spoiler if I reveal his secret right here, considering it is given away in the title? Anyway, the guy is invisible and it causes no ends of grief for him and down-to-earth inhab
Bill Kerwin
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it

This is the fourth short work of science fiction or fantasy published by H.G. Wells, and although it is superior to the fantasy you have probably never heard of (The Wonderful Visit), it is inferior to the two “scientific romances” which you almost certainly know (The Time Machine and The Island of Dr. Moreau). Still, it shares important characteristics with the others, and together they make up an effective introduction to Well’s work.

The Wonderful Visit (1895) treats—among other things—with th
Dan Schwent
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A scientist invents a invisibility drug and slowly goes mad. Chaos ensues!

I read this as part of a colossal Invisible Man group read. We're all familiar with the basics of the tale. For a story written before R'lyeh sank beneath the waves, it was surprisingly readable.

So a scientist named Griffin invents a serum that makes him invisible. What's he do with it? Become an even bigger douche nozzle! Griffin becomes invisible and is suddenly above the law, stealing as he sees fit and cheapshotting pe
Lea
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting short book with elements of sci-fi, mystery and horror, that was fun to read. The writing style is not my favorite, it’s very straight-forward, concentrating mostly on the plot. I would like more in-depth psychological analysis of Griffin (the Invisible Man) and philosophical exploration of the topic because I find the premise very interesting. One could argue that invisibility was the factor that precipitated Griffin’s moral and psychological deterioration, even though I think he ...more
Will M.
I won't deny the fact that at one point in my childhood, I wanted to become invisible. It wasn't the top priority in my list of "I hope one day I'd suddenly have this super power", but it was still there, probably at number 6 lagging behind Wolverine's Claws, flying, super strength, teleportation, and Johnny Storm's powers. I haven't thought of the consequences of being invisible then because I didn't contemplate on things that much when I was a child. I mean, who would do that?

Take note that I
Paul Bryant
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-novels-aaargh
I thought this story could of been better. So when the guy invents invisibility it’s like bam! he’s invisible and immediately gets in a beef with the landlord who’s all are you a mad scientist what’s going on and so he gets mad and bags the guy and burns his apartment building down which is not cool and he end up in the street totally naked this is the guy not the landlord because he has no invisible clothes so if he wears clothes then he’s visible and there would be no point but all his clothes ...more
Stephen
2.0 stars. I had not read this book in many years and so I decided to re-read it over the weekend. In retrospect, this might have been a big mistake. Previously, I had very fond memories of the book as one of the best of the “classic” horror stories along with Dracula, Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Well, it is certainly a classic of the genre, but I no longer feel like it deserves a place among the elite of its peers.

If can I may borrow and paraphrase from the
AMEERA 🌱
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.75
i love every interesting and weird books
and the title of this book was enough to make me read it and I read it but wasn't
interested at all
Merphy Napier
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is my third book by this author and I think I've accepted that this author isn't for me. I always like the concepts but never seem to like the execution
Susan Budd
I was eager to read The Invisible Man (1897) by H. G. Wells after enjoying my recent reread of Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886). Both are science fiction novels that speculate about chemistry.

Dr. Jekyll’s chemical potion transforms him into Mr. Hyde so he can indulge in his debaucheries undetected and unhampered by moral conscience. Griffin’s potion bleaches his blood so that his technological device can render him invisible and he can do whatever he w
Amy
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Do you think the notion of an invisible man was really foreign to the readers during the time Wells wrote? While I found this book moderately entertaining, thought the scientific "theories" were thought-provoking, and felt there were seeds of some really potent themes (however undernourished the seeds turned out to be), I feel like Wells was totally preoccupied with trying to describe to the reader what it would be like to have an invisible man in our midst. This isn't a concept that I (as a mod ...more
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️[9/10]
This is what a supposedly serious review of the popular, bestselling, turn-of-the-century sci-fi novel looks like when written by a dunkin' dunce like me- full of gaping holes and disconnected thoughts and jumbled array of funny ideas.

FOR THOSE THAT KNOWS NOT WHAT GRIFFIN IS:
As the title suggests,
✅ He is invisible. An invisible albino , to be precise.(Makes things easier. If you ever plan on putting this theory to test, you should probably hunt down albi
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was highly entertaining, much more than I had anticipated. I never know what to expect, when picking up one of the classics, and I knew next to nothing of this one. I didn’t bother to read the synopsis, and I’ve learned the hard way to never, ever read the introduction prior to the story. Especially on these older works, where it’s common practice to spoil major plot points assuming everyone already knows the story. That’s so annoying.

Anyhow, going into this story with fresh eyes was p
Stepheny

Dear Iron Invisible Man,

I have recently been informed of your actions in regards to invisibility. Let me just tell you- there are some great advantages to being invisible and with that comes a great responsibility. I am absolutely appalled at your behavior and I intend to dictate some rules and boundaries for you. The Minister for Magic has summoned me and requested that I write you a letter.

This letter is intended to set you to rights. Here are your guidelines for you to keep in mind while you
Steven Walle
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a most excellent piece of science fiction wherein a scientist called Griffin, creates a serum which makes him invisible. Then it goes on to explain his decline into total madness.
I am generally not a science fiction fan, but this one was masterfully written and kept my interest.
I recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Barbara
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it

For fun, I decided to revisit this classic to see how it holds up.

The story is about a brilliant but troubled molecular physicist named Griffin who discovers a way to make himself invisible. Griffin then goes on a crime spree, at first just stealing things he needs, like food, clothes, etc. However Griffin's mental health quickly deteriorates, and he becomes a full blown sociopath.

There are some funny parts at the beginning of the book, when Griffin takes a room in a small rural boarding house
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
If Annie Wilkes Stepheny doesn't lock us all up in her vegetable cellar, I will be buddy reading this with an awesome gang of misfits: Anne, Jeff, Stepheny, Delee, Christopher, Tadiana, Will, Licha, Alissa, Steve, and the Dans (both 1.0 and 2.0), Miriam, Jenna, Auntie J, Carmen, and Ginger on August 10.

Please Stepheny......don't........*falls*

--------------------------------------

Read a book you own but haven't read yet.

Does anyone remember this movie?

I was in high school when it came o
Adrian
Now I really enjoy classic sci-fi and have always enjoyed H G Wells’ books as they tend to be set around south western London and Surrey where I grew up, so I have an affinity for them. This however I did not enjoy as much as I’d hoped. I have read it before in the dim and distant past but remembered little of the tragedy that was to unfold.
Enjoyable, yes (ish) but now I know why I didn’t remember much because memorable it isn’t , shame.
Safae
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1001, favorites, english
While reading this book, I tried to imagine reading it in the late years of the 19th century,having in mind that it was an era of inventions, the invention of the television was shortly afterwards, in 1900 a television was shown in an electricity congress in Paris, and that was the first time it was called a television,the escalator, the radio,the helicopter,..etc and many other inventions of the first years of the 20th century, so those people thought that everything was possible, and especiall ...more
The Lonely People...: The Invisible Man 2 6 Jun 26, 2020 11:58AM
The Lonely People...: The Invisible Man Film Adaptions 1 2 May 17, 2020 08:01PM
The Lonely People...: The Invisible Man Discussion *Spoilers* 1 2 May 17, 2020 07:54PM
The Lonely People...: May Breakdown 1 4 May 01, 2020 04:57PM
The Readers Revie...: The Invisible Man - Wk 3 (Chapters XV - XXI) 6 12 Apr 27, 2020 06:55AM

• The Canterville Ghost
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • Around the World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages, #11)
  • Treasure Island
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • The Story of My Life
  • The Call of the Wild
Herbert George Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government scholarship in 1884, ...more