Start by marking “The Worst Girlfriend in the World” as Want to Read:
The Worst Girlfriend in the World

The Worst Girlfriend in the World

My best friend was now my deadliest enemy, the one person I'd hate beyond all measure for the rest of my life . . .

Franny Barker's best friend, Alice, is the worst girlfriend in the world according to the many boys of Merrycliffe-on-Sea. She toys with them, then dumps them. But she'll never dump fashion-obsessed Franny. Nothing and no one can come between them.

Not even to
Published May 1st 2014 by Atom

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Girlfriend in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Girlfriend in the World

Aly (In Wonderland)
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

Alice Jenkins is the worst girlfriend in the world.

This was an adorable read. I finished it in under a day and I found myself giggling and sighing at all the right (and some wrong) places. It's cute as hell and everything I was looking for in a light Sunday read.

I was expecting another Adorkable (which I did not like) but what I found was adorkable characters and a cute story I couldn't stay away from. Once you get past the awfully spelt words (
Abigail
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
The name of this book originates from "Alice Jenkins is the worst girlfriend in the world." which is scrawled on the boys public toilet wall.
Franny and Alice have been best friends since they were babies, and have gone to the same primary and secondary school as each other. Franny and Alice are inseparable, until college starts and Franny's mothers condition takes a turn for the worst.
Alice is a serial snogger, Franny is a one man gal. Franny has a serious crush on Louis, the lead member of The
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Little, Brown Book Group UK and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Franny is best friends with Alice, a girl who according to the graffiti in the boy’s toilets is ‘the worst girlfriend in the world’. When Alice decides to make a play for Louis, the boy who Alice has had a crush on for 4 years, Franny is understandably upset.
Who will win Louis first? And should boys be allowed to come between friends?

I had hoped tha
Luna
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Anyway, I’ve been meaning to read The Worst Girlfriend in the World for ages and I finally sat down and did. It was massively overdue. Sarra Manning is great at characters, well at least at completely relatable and convincing teenage girls. To be fair I haven’t read any of her adult novels. I probably should… (Leave your recommendation in the comments!)

Franny has always been on Alice’s side. She’s stood up for her as other’s have name-called and raged about Alice and her boyfriend behaviour. (Bt
Amanda
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, really wonderful writing. Examines the strength of friendships, and presents exactly that strange period when you move on from childhood friends and wonder if they can still be in your life in any fashion.
Alaina
So The Worst Girlfriend in the World is about two bestfriends, Alice and Franny. Alice, who is basically the worst girlfriend in the world (and bestfriend), just likes to mess with guys. No, not sexually (thank god), but she does tend to steal other girls boyfriends or their crushes. She likes to play a game, where two guys are dared to do something and who ever wins gets to make out with her. Everyone calls her slut for this as well but Alice doesn't care what people think of her.

Then there's
Carly
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Story: Well, if anybody knows how to put a spin on the slightly tired 'two friends after one guy' story it's Sarra Manning.

Franny has been holding out for the 'right' guy, who she's convinced is Louis Allen, lead singer of the only band in her small, insignificant hometown. Her lifelong best friend, Alice, is commonly known as the worst girlfriend in the world. She strings guys along, steals them from other girls and promptly dumps them as soon as she gets bored.

When Alice gets jealous of the
E'in Nadh
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Man I really do love reading cheesy contemporaries like this. As usual, this one was hilarious and so fun, and what I like about it is the fact that it actually centres more around friendship than romance. Sure a boy was involved but the romance didn't take up most of the book like most of other YA contemporary novels. Also appreciated the take on Franny's ambitions, made her more real and relatable than just another character. Sometimes I just think she's so stupid for putting up with Alice tho ...more
Natasha Lumley
Jun 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't have the motivation to finish this book and see where it was going. It lacked a good attention grabber that I still hadn't found about a third of the way through and Franny just wasn't relatable. This was a really disappointing read as I have read other novels by Sarra Manning and they were fantastic and had me hooked from the get go. A bit of a let down but I would still consider other works by Sarra Manning as this just seems to be an off novel.
Amanda
Loved this so much! If you liked Paper Aeroplanes, give this a go!
Erica Olsen
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.
This book was funny and cute. About best friends and a boy getting in their way. A boy neither of them really actually knows, but somehow have managed to fall in love with. Haven't we all tried to love someone from afar, with absolutely no idea about their personality?

I liked it, but it was kind of 'too young' for me at times. It was very real though and had a lot of good points. The whole family issues, the fact that the teenage years are hard and so on.
Caitlin Stewart
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took me a bit to get into it but once I was into it I couldn’t put it down.
Lea
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-in-books
I am really not sure of this book. I thought it would be way better so it turned out to be kinda a disappointment
Charvi Mathur
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title doesn't do any justice with the book.
Kerri Jones
Unfortunately although I love other books by this author, this one just didn’t tick the boxes for me.
Caoibhe
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shakana
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is honestly just a bunch of bull. The first chapter talks about a boob job..........

description

And it just bored me from the beginning....

I did not enjoy this at all and placed it back on the library shelf as soon as I read the first chapter
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
More reviews at http://losttobooks.blogspot.com

Thank to Atom for the paperback review copy!

The Worst Girlfriend in the World sounded like a quick, easy read that would be entertaining for a few hours. I had never read anything by this author before so I wasn't sure what I was getting myself in for, but I finished this book with a smile on my face--something which was surprising as I did have moments where I wasn't sure whether I was going to enjoy the story as it continued to progress.

This b
Rose
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sarra Manning has a gift for writing incredibly relatable characters. I have yet to dislike anything she has written, and I highly doubt I ever will. Because she writes really awesome books. The Worst Girlfriend in the World was no exception. I was so excited to read it, and I loved every moment of doing so.

I had a bad case of one-more-chapter syndrome while reading this. I picked it up around midnight one night and read nearly a quarter of it then and there, despite telling myself I’d read only
Michelle
In a nutshell, this book is about two girls fighting over a boy. Honestly, that sounds like the most cliched young adult novel ever. It’s probably lucky I didn’t know what before I started this because I could have missed out on reading one of my favourite books of the year.

This was my first Manning book and I finally get why everyone seems to love her work so much. Basically, this book just made me feel good. But this wasn’t just a fluffy read. I was surprised and moved by the depth of the char
Kirsty
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is fair to say I have been dying to get my hands on Sarra Manning's latest YA offering for a long time now and in doing so the is always the worry that I might get too high expectations and be disappointed. Therefore I am so so pleased to say that I adored it as much as I hoped I would.

The worst girlfriend in the world is the story of best friends Franny and Alice. They've been friends since they were in nappies and been inseparable and never imagined anything could change that until Alice,
Anya (An Awful Lot of Reading)
Another amazing contemporary from the brilliant mind of Sarra Manning, whom I am developing quite a girl crush on! This one tells of best friends since forever, Franny B and Alice, completely inseparable until Franny goes to college and leaves Alice at sixth form. Not such a big deal, if it wasn't for Alice alienating everyone else in town for her attitude towards boys as her playthings.

I adored everything about this story, from its rich and varied characters to the up and downs of friendship.
Bookevin
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

I have been eagerly waiting for Sarra Manning’s YA books after reading Adorkable last year and when I got a copy of The Worst Girlfriend in the World in the post, I couldn’t stop myself from reading it! Trust me, it’s fabulous because Sarra Manning’s latest offering definitely puts her as the Queen of British YA in my books!

The Worst Girlfriend in the World is, in fact, not our heroine. No, the heroine, Franny is a fabulous budding fashion designer who I really li
Aly (My Heart Hearts Books)
My problem with The Worst Girlfriend in the World is that while I read it, I felt like it had an agenda. Like the whole point is a mix of "be careful what you wish for" and "don't judge a book by a it's cover". It felt kind of organic and not organic. Whether or not it was Manning's intention it felt preachy.

Franny and Alice are best friends, and Franny has a life long crush on Louis, or it feels that way. Except trouble ensues when they both try to go for Louis. Will they cross line or make it
Natalie TBGWP
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The worst girlfriend in the world is Alice Jenkins or so it says on the wall of the boys toilets. Obviously she thinks that's funny and adapts it to use as her twitter name. Not everyone finds it as amusing as her though. With only one friend in the whole world Franny B she is enemy number one to more or less every teenage girl in Merrycliffe-On-Sea because let's face it she can't keep her hands off anyone's boyfriend and every boy thinks she's super hot. Franny B on the other hand is an eclecti ...more
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, review-copy
Alice Jenkins is the worst girlfriend in the world. Notoriously known in Merrycliffe-On-Sea as the girl who will happily steal your boyfriend only to dump him the next week Franny is the only girl who stands by her best friend. Sure, Alice has a bad reputation but they’ve been friends since they were in nappies and besides Alice would never do anything to hurt Franny, right? After ups and downs put strain on their friendship the battle lines are firmly drawn when Alice goes after Franny’s long t ...more
Bobbie
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya
Franny B is a spectacular character. Not least because she reminds me a bit of myself at that age. I wasn't any kind of cool, style icon, and luckily I didn't have to deal with a mother like Franny's. But I did leave school to go to college and study art, and I was a shy, naive, barely-been-kissed type. So I found myself identifying with Franny on a number of levels. It always instills a lot more book love in me when I really get the characters.

One thing I didn't have at that age was a best frie
M
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
description

A fun, light read! You get to witness the transition of an English girl from high school, and the troubles she faces when leaving a best friend behind. The cover was definitely what caught me, it is bright, young and colourful, the title was especially intriguing. It captured the youth of our protagonist alongside the stereotyped problems she faces.

When Franny starts college, she is leaving behind her well known Best Friend whom is ha
Jemima Osborne
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The Worst Girlfriend In The World is the brand new teen-fic by Sarra Manning and it was the first book by Manning that I have read.
It starts off with the main characters- Franny Barker (or Franny B as she is known) and her best friend Alice (AKA The Worst Girlfriend In The World) giving a challenge to two boys whose eyes are on Alice. Alice is the friend that most of us have, the flirty one who seems to attract boys by the dozen but not want any of them for more than an hour, whereas Franny is
Chloe
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually read this book with my mom because we were trying to find something to do together and just thought hey, let's read, and here we are now.

This book was definitely an in the moment pick for me. I wasn't completely sure about it. I have heard people talk very highly of Mannings previous novels numerous times before, but this being my first read of a book by her, I was fairly sceptical, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at it when we had finally finished with it.

Now, this is a book
« previous 1 3 next »
the worst girlfriend in the world 1 6 Jul 01, 2014 10:29AM

• A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Dead Romantic
  • My Life as a Hashtag
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • Salvage
  • You Don't Know Me
  • American Savage (The Savages, #2)
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Blue (Blue #1)
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • As Stars Fall
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Love and Chaos (Brooklyn Girls, #2)
  • Remix
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • What Remains
Sarra Manning is a teen queen extraordinaire. She spent five years working on the now sadly defunct J17, first as a writer and then as Entertainment Editor. She then joined the launch team of teen fashion bible Ellegirl, which she later went on to edit and has consulted on a wide range of youth titles including Bliss, The Face and More.

Sarra is now editor of What To Wear magazine. She's also been