Start by marking “Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 4

Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 4

(Wolverine and the X-Men (2011) (Collected Editions) #4)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,549 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
AVX tie-in! The final battle begins! The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning has seen its loyalties - and its faculty - divided by the war between the Avengers and the X-Men. But now, with the Phoenix Force corrupting Cyclops' team, Wolverine's mission becomes clear! Yet even with the fate of the Earth itself on the line, Kitty Pryde still has a school to run, and fewer t ...more
Published May 28th 2013 by Marvel (first published December 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 4

Anne
Oh! Shit! That Ending!

Ok, ok, ok. I gotta review this quickly, so I can read the next volume. Hell of a cliffhanger you left me with there, Aaron!

AvX tie-ins are over with after this one, so hang in there, True Believers! This will conclude the whole Phoenix 5 thing and leave us with one less bald mutant telepath.

First up is a really awkward date between Kitty & Colossus, who is now one of the 5 being inhabited by the Phoenix Force.
It's the age old story of metallic boy wants to win back h
Jeff
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Doop. Dooop. DOOOOP!

What the heck does he do at the Jean Gray School for Mutant Tweens? No one seems to know. He drinks a lot. Destroys toilets. Sleeps at the reception desk. Makes head cheese for the children. Beyond that, what?

When Wolverine started his own splinter school, he enlisted the help of the levitating green alien/mutant who speaks a language only Wolverine understands, yes, Doop.

Doop "deals" with zoning boards, fights The Nazi Bowling League (led by the Fourth Reich Intramural Bowli
Sesana
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
More AvX. Ugh. It isn't all bad, but I would have so much rather that the event didn't have to intrude on this book. Oh well. But whatever you do, don't skip this volume! You'll miss the hilariously brilliant Doop issue. The whole thing is worth it for just that one issue. It makes me excited to see this book move past the event, so Aaron can get back to telling his own stories.
Sam Quixote
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the last book, Volume 4 of Wolverine & the X-Men continues to be affected by the Marvel Event “Avengers Vs X-Men” but the effects are less noticeable this time around (hallelujah!). KItty goes on a date with Phoenix Colossus, the X-Men prepare for all-out war with the Phoenixes, the origin story of Kade Kilgore - pre-pubescent Black King of the Hellfire Club - is revealed, and, perhaps most significantly of all, we find out what Doop’s been up to since he joined the Jean Grey School.

Wh
Mike
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book starts with a pretty heavy-handed (and weirdly drawn) tete-a-tete between Kitty and Colossus. It felt almost staged - even though these are characters with a long and complex history, their discussion here felt forced and predestine - no matter what Peter did, it of course would end badly. In the middle of it all though are some pretty hilarious touches - the reason Toad likes to clean up after certain X-Men, how Kitty is handling the lack of faculty, who shows up as a substitute teache ...more
Gavin
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume covers issues 14-18; skip issue 17 altogether, or just skim it (all about Doop, kinda funny but juvenile artwork and silly story, a wasted issue for sure). In other events, the battle for Hope between the Avengers and X-Men continues, this time the Cyclops wing of the X-Men have been changed by the Phoenix force, and something is not right; leading some of the X-Men back to Wolverine and the school. Also, continues to focus on the new Hellfire Club and all their activities, as well a ...more
Zack! Empire
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This book deals with the AVX event that was going on at the time. To be honest that took this book from being four starts down to three. I'm so tired of reading these series only to have to stop the storyline and tie in to the current marvel event. I've been reading a ton of marvel these days and it's starting to wear on me.

The stories in here are great though. The Doop issue (with art by Mike Allread) is fantastic! The most enjoyable single issue I've read in sometime. Everything in there beco
Nicolo Yu
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
This collection is still mostly tied-in to AvX but somehow, writer Jason Aaron was able to move most of his plot threads forward by focusing on the school with the occasional Phoenix Five appearance. Artist Jorge Molina steps in while regular artist Nick Bradshaw works with the next arc, while outgoing regular Chris Bachalo gives this collection a Kade Kilgore origin story.

Normally, this collection would get four stars for me but I bumped it up all the way to five because it contains one of my f
Bradley
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, the Hellfire club is getting more interesting. Good backstory. And Angel is pretty wacky. But who is the stand-out, breakaway awesome character out of the whole slew?

You've got it!
It's DOOP!

I swear, he's just a tiny bit removed from Rage Guy, but not so much that I can't have a lot of fun with him. Maybe he's closer to a deep manga freak. Regardless, he's fun as hell here. Where did he come from? I'm just surprised that Wolverine is so pragmatic as to know how useful the little guy is.

I ki
Michael Church
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This one was kind of "meh." It's the first AvX tie in that I didn't really feel added much value. There were plenty of examples of how the stories tied in together, but nothing that really pushed anything forward. What's more, they started moving away from Bachalo as the artist in this volume, which is just a huge blow to the series because the other artists can't seem to get on his level.

The highlight, actually (and coincidentally my least favorite illustrated), is the one-shot about Doop and
Ronald
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Another comic book collection. Surprisingly despite the title Wolverine is hardly actual in these issues. The weakest stories unfortunately were the Avengers VS. X-Men stories if for no other reason than there were no real fights between the groups chronicled in these comics. The other stories following the mini-Hellfire club while interesting was rather stupid and lame. It saddens me that from an X-Men book one headlining Wolverine who was one of my favorite characters best story was focused on ...more
Kris
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Why does Michael Allred continue to be allowed to draw? His art in issue #17 is just horrible.
Other than that, this book was really good. I'm not gonna pretend to be happy with some of the events that happen at the end, but it was well written and I enjoyed reading it.
Renata
Nov 25, 2013 rated it liked it
OK so I haven't read AvX so this only half made sense to me? Which is on me. But also goddammit comic books, this is why nobody likes you, because you can't just read one! You have to read like 20 for anything to make sense!

More sassy one-liners! Fewer crossovers! These are my demands.
TJ Shelby
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Jason Aaron is still going strong with this series...even with the mandatory crossovers.
Elizabeth
Ugh. Done with this already. This series sucks. Somehow it's supposed to be interesting to have supermacho Wolverine play Mr Feeney to a school of derivative, spin-off, son-of, non-characters tweening it up in a self-aware 21st century way while epic battles happen somewhere to the side, or off to the right. Fuck off!

I struggle to see how they even pitched this idea.

"We need an X-Men line appealing to a younger market. Main characters should be 12-18."

"Cool, will those actually be the main cha
M
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
The fallout of AvX happens here, focusing on the senior staff moreso than the students. Each issue of the collection highlights how much things have changed among the mutant community, making this book all the better for it. We open with a Phoenix-powered Colossus taking Kitty on a date. His attempts to show benevolence and power just prove how far he is from the man Kitty once loved. Next is the arrival of some new and old faces from Utopia, as a battle plan is drawn against the Phoenix Five. A ...more
Peter Derk
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay, this is a review for the first four volumes of the series, as a whole.

There are some great points. We see a lot of X-characters forced to behave in ways that do not come naturally to them, which is usually a good recipe for story in comics. We get a nice mix of comedy, action, and some sad moments where characters go back and forth on some heavy stuff ("Well, I was cloned from the DNA of one of the worst super villains of all time, sooooo that makes me...?). We also get a bit of Iceman as
Scott Lee
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
When Aaron actually tells a story instead of doing a "slice of life at the Jean Grey School" plotless issue this is a lot of fun. The art was better than I remembered although the issue on Doop (a "slice of Doop's life at the Jean Grey School" issue) was definitely not in my preferred style. This was an AVX tie in. Some nice moments. Aaron definitely plays the book for laughs far more often than I'm accustomed to with an X-book. Wonderful moment following the end of the AVX story and ending with ...more
James
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Still caught up in some big crossover, which limits the storytelling (and throws Colossus back into megalomaniacal jerk mode). Apart from a single issue centering on Doop, the rest of it focuses on the Hellfire Kids, who serve as more of a concept than any kind of tangible opposition for our heroes. They're super-rich, super-smart and super-jaded--but kids! No one knows quite how to treat them, and their appearances fall into jaded Warren Ellis-esque pseudobabble about evilly accomplishing the i ...more
Andrew
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
At this point, I'm pretty sure Jason Aaron was as bored with Avengers vs. X-Men (the misguided crossover Event in which the Avengers and Cyclops' X-Men team all act like horrendous megalomaniacal jerks and maybe Phoenix will destroy/save the earth and who cares?) as everybody else. The issues focusing on the Event are pretty dull and mechanical, but the stand-alone issues focusing on minor characters like Kade Kilgore and Doop are great. The Doop-centric issue is particularly special, as we lear ...more
Christopher
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This volume manages to add insight to the Avengers vs. X-Men event as well as takes time to keep building the world of the Jean Grey School by concentrating on the characters that aren't involved with the big Avengers vs. X-Men fracas.

Aaron's ability to focus and cultivate characters while keeping the larger group involved is commendable and keeps this series interesting.

Loved the work by Allred (one of my favorites) and the Doop solo issue. Doop forever.
Aaron Swensen
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the AvX graphic on the cover fool you. This stands apart from AvX enough to enjoy it without having read the main event. This is how tie-ins should work. I have to say I really liked this collection. The Doop issue alone makes it worth it. And the last issue with Broo was great too. I'm really wanting to pick up volume 5 to see what happens next.
John
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another AVX tie-in volume, but this one is a distinct improvement over its predecessor. This time we get a collection of fun, diverse, barely related stories instead of fighting, fighting, fighting. The Hellfire Club story is terrific and so is the one featuring Doop with art by Michael Allred. Aaron's sense of humor is not quite at full force, at least it makes an appearance.
Erin Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This crossover is handled badly for a coherent trade reading experience. With this volume and the previous it is like hearing one half of a telephone conversation, and recent trades don't have as many "previously on the X-Men" recaps as they used to. The highlight of this book for me was the Mike Allred illustrated issue showing what Doop does for the school.

Amanda
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the little Hellfire Club.
Daniel Butcher
I wish I could give 3.5.

Part of A vs X so it jumps around.
Talia Smart
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Crossovers are the WORST!!! I need continuity and this has none of that!
47Time
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The artwork... God, the artwork. A couple of my least favourite artists are featured, so I considered letting this series be. Thankfully, a good (or at least mediocre) story is enough to get me through a few one-shots.

Colossus is still one big Phoenix-powered softie with the hots for Kitty, but she has bigger things to worry about than his teenage 'luv' (bleh). The Jean Grey school has very few mutants able to teach classes and the Phoenix Force is slowly corrupting its five hosts. This determin
James Lawner
Once again, we have more tie-in material to AvX, and once again, the tie-in stuff is alright, but if you havent read AvX, this stuff will be confusing and spoilery for you. I would say the last three issues in this was great, we get an origin story for Kade Kilgore, an issue all about Doop (he's literally the Marvel-version of Slimer, except he's an alien) and the last issue ties to the end of AvX and the ending of that issue, oh man, the ending :(

Overall, A decent effort, I mostly enjoyed it fo
Sean
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: X-Fans!
This is a prime example of how publishers can upset readers. AvX is a huge crossover involving many of the characters here. This collection gives tiny bits of the crossover that don't add anything to it but also don't add anything to the series. There are a couple non-AvX stories in the middle that don't seem to belong. Chris Bachalo & Jorge Molina art help but the boo is done in by editorial. Overall, not very enjoyable.
  • Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 4
  • The New Avengers, Volume 4
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 4: The Dark Angel Saga, Book 2
  • Avengers vs. X-Men: Avengers Academy
  • Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega
  • X-Men Legacy, Volume 2: Invasive Exotics
  • X-Men Legacy: Divided He Stands
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 6: Goblin Nation
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Wolverine and the X-Men (2011) (Collected Editions) (8 books)
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 1
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 2
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 3
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 5
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 6
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 7
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 8
“Bobby: So assuming I survive the next 24 hours, where do you want to go on our first date?
Kitty: Some place that doesn't allow children.
Bobby: The strip club it is.”
11 likes