Start by marking “The Grand Tour: A Traveler's Guide to the Solar System” as Want to Read:
The Grand Tour: A Traveler's Guide to the Solar System

The Grand Tour: A Traveler's Guide to the Solar System

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Hurricanes so enormous that the earth itself could be lost in one; a volcano larger than the state of Missouri and higher than Everest; a planet with a billion moons; a planet that rotates on its side; worlds made of solid ice; a world where it rains gasoline. These are not inventions of fantasy or science fiction, but are places that really exist-in our own solar system.

N
Published January 12th 1993 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Grand Tour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grand Tour

Sereen Gallichio
The book The Grand Tour written by Ron Miller is an interesting guide to the solar system. This book explains what is circling the sun as observers studied information about Saturn and its rings. One important fact is that Saturn’s rings are tipped to earth’s position, and as Saturn orbits around the sun we see them from different angles. These rings have a separation between them, which are caused by gravitational effects; they are composed of many chunks of ice. This book goes through each pla ...more
Scout Collins
Beautiful book with tons of information about space. Taught me a lot when I was little. Love it!
Joan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Embark on a journey through the solar system, discover worlds of ice, of erupting volcanoes, of swirling acid clouds, Astronomer William Hartmann’s years of research, personal observation, and interviews with colleagues combine with science, art-photography, paintings, drawings, and maps to give readers a spectacular look at our amazing solar system.

Discover the strange and the uncanny, learn how planets came to be, explore what it would be like to set foot on them today. It’s a not-to-be-missed
Amanda
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on super sale at Borders and boy, am I ever glad that I did! I am fascinated with astronomy and have difficulty finding materials that aren't too easy/childish or too difficult (geared for the professional). This strikes a wonderful balance for the intelligent, interested adult. It goes through the different objects in our solar system by order of size, and the illustrations and photographs are worth the price alone.
Darya
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains up-to-date pictures of planets, moon, asteroids, satellites, etc. taken from Hubble and flybys of other crafts. It covers every conceivable aspect of everything in our solar system in terms that almost anyone can understand, from mass and composition to volcanism and oorts. An astonishing and eye-opening book.
Rowen
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
It must be a little dated by now, but the artwork alone is worth the price. Fantastic book.
Frank Ashe
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, astronomy
I loved this first edition when it first came out. I'd like to see one of the later editions. So much more has been learnt over the last 35 years.
Marnix
Oct 26, 2010
Frida
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ron Miller is an illustrator and author living in South Boston, Virginia. Before becoming a freelance illustrator in 1977, Miller was art director for the National Air & Space Museum's Albert Einstein Planetarium. Prior to this he was a commercial advertising illustrator. His primary work today entails the writing and illustration of books specializing in astronomical, astronautical and scienc ...more
More about Ron Miller...