Start by marking “The Front Nine: How to Start the Year You Want Anytime You Want” as Want to Read:
The Front Nine: How to Start the Year You Want Anytime You Want

The Front Nine: How to Start the Year You Want Anytime You Want

The Front Nine is a guide by one of the web's leading productivity experts, former Lifehack.org Editor-in-Chief, Mike Vardy, to help you get ready, get set, and go forward with your new year, anytime you want. Taking elements from the game of golf and applying them to productivity and goal-setting, The Front Nine aims to put you in a position to make a fresh start on a pro ...more
Published December 25th 2012 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Front Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Front Nine

Start your review of The Front Nine: How to Start the Year You Want Anytime You Want
Page
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
If you have an idea but don't know where to start or a dream that you've been putting off, Mike Vardy's latest book might be the kick you need.

If you've spent any time on the Productivityist website, some of this material will be familiar, but this is not a book about productivity. The Front Nine presents a structured approach to moving forward in changing a habit, reaching a goal, or completing a project. It was released to coincide with New Year's resolutions season but as the subtitle says,
Davy Buntinx
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I've read this book in one sitting, which both speaks for and against it. It's well written and thought out, while also being quite short (about 120 iBooks pages on my iPad Mini). The metaphor Vardy uses to kickstart your year is great, and while other productivity books are often pretty bland, he uses some fun personal stories to spice things up.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who's like me: a starter, not a finisher. I can imagine myself reading (parts of) it again when preparing
Alex
Maybe it will work for someone else, personal development books are rarely about new ideas (they're all pretty much the same - one thing at a time, most important thing first, start now), but about finding right metaphors and right messages that will click with the particular reader, so while it didn't click with me, it may do it with someone else. It's cheap, but it's awfully short and awfully "me too" on the ideas side.
Curtismchale
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

The Front Nine takes the metaphor of a game of golf and uses it to illustrate approaching and launching projects (or starting a year) in your business. He uses this metaphor to show you how you don't just have to start a 'new year' on January 1st like everyone else, you can start a new year or new project any time you want.

Mike Vardy (of Productivityist) splits up a project or a year's progress in to 3 stages mapped to a game of golf.

The Drive
The Fairway
The Green

The Drive

The Drive is where you start

/>

Mike

Bill Kempthorne
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mike Vardy takes different look at the world fo productivity in his book The Front Nine. Getting things done and other similar titles will give you a process to get to all the things on you 'to do' list. The Front Nine is asking you the bigger question, are you getting your ball to where you need it to be. With a number of personal examples and a Golfing medaphor, the author takes you through the thought pattern of actually getting where you want to be. Placing you shots and getting to the hole. ...more
GONZA
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Metaphors and personal examples written by a web guru that I really didn't find so interesting or compelling or whatever they were supposed to do to a "reader". The sort of self-help book that can work for somebody, or not.

Metafore ed esempi personali scritti da un guru del web che non mi hanno poi interessato più di un tot, nè mi hanno spinto verso una nuova vita o qualsiasi fosse la ragione per cui sono state scritte. Questo è il tipico libro di auto-aiuto che può funzionare per qu
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Un libro sobre meta-productividad, por así decirlo, que más que en técnicas y metodologías (aunque alguna trae) trata de conseguir que pensemos menos acerca de los sistemas que usamos para ser productivos, y más sobre por qué elegimos hacer unas cosas u otras, y en planificar de verdad a dónde queremos ir.

Es un libro breve, ágil e interesante. No es un clásico que cambie tu forma de ver las cosas, pero sacarás algunas ideas interesantes y útiles.
C.C.
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mike has always given out great advice on how to be more productive. While what works for one person, doesn't always work with another, I've found that the more you read about what does work for people, the quicker you find out what will work for you.

While I'm not a golf fan, the use of golf in this book works perfectly. Plus, if you try something from the book and it doesn't work for you, simply call a mulligan and move foward.
Tracy Canuck
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was an easy read with simple, common-sense advice on how to take the leap to follow your dreams (and stay on track along the way). It was written very much in Mike's voice so it was almost like having a conversation with Mike himself (albeit, unidirectional).

Recommended for anyone looking for a kick in the butt and some bumper guards along the way to fulfilling your dreams and goals.
Karol Gajda
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Some good ideas. Nothing particularly new to me, but I can see how a lot of people will get a lot of value out of this. It's a quick ~90 minute read and worth it for anybody who's struggling to get stuff done. (And, maybe more importantly, struggling to figure out what exactly it is they should be getting done.)
Kyle
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-digital
Great book from a brilliant online writer and forward-thinker. The man who coined the term "Productivityist" -- those who love thinking and pursuing various productivity workflows and "lifehacks" -- now takes it one step further. Beyond the focus on productivity systems to their real world application and to actually doing the work.
Dave Bolton
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
The golf analogy was strained (golf swing velocity used as a guide for how to approach our other endeavours is a good example), and this drained any stickiness from the ideas. It's hard to put together a coherent "system", and this book is proof of that. It's well intended but misses the mark.
Natalie
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newly-read-2013
Quick read, and perhaps I'm just not at this stage of my life, but I just couldn't find this book very helpful. These are all concepts I understand from a perfectly emotionless point of view, but throw in how I feel and it becomes quite a large mess.
Yukari Peerless
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mike Vardy, the Productivityist guides us through on how to effectively get to where you want to go in your life.
Mike Wilson
Jul 26, 2014
Fernando Gros
May 04, 2019
Coopdog
rated it did not like it
Jan 11, 2015
Jul 20, 2017
Scott Winterroth
Dec 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
  • How to Be a Footballer
  • The Parade
  • Into the Darkest Corner
  • Knap voor een dik meisje
  • The Cross (Eddie Flynn #0.5)
  • Stepsister
  • Drop the Ball: Achieving More by Doing Less
  • What is Culture For?
Mike Vardy is a writer, speaker, podcaster, and “productivityist”. He has served as the Managing Editor at Lifehack, and contributed articles on productivity to 99u, Lifehacker, The Next Web, SUCCESS Magazine, and The Huffington Post. He is the author of such books as The Front Nine: How To Start The Year You Want Anytime You Want (published by Diversion Books), The Productivityist Workbook, and T ...more