Start by marking “Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane: A Novel

Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane: A Novel

Charlie Templeton, his wife Mandy, and student mistress Mary-Jane Millford survived the London terrorist bombings of 7/7, but history has yet to be made. To save the future of western civilization, Charlie, a schizoid cultural studies lecturer with a penchant for horror films and necrophilia, must fight the zombies of university bureaucracy and summon the will to become th ...more
Published February 26th 2013 by Penny Ante Editions

To ask other readers questions about Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane

Start your review of Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane: A Novel
David Katzman
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: culture critics, postmodernist, experimentalist, Brit-lovers, edgier than thou-ists
Have you seen the movie Man Bites Dog? It's a 1992 Belgian mockumentary that begins humorously and then about two-thirds of the way through morphs into one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. The premise is that a documentary film crew is following a serial killer making his rounds and eventually they begin helping him to commit his crimes so that they can continue shooting the story. The tone initially is quite humorous and tongue-in-cheek, seemingly a dark satire of the media with im ...more
Paul Bryant
Dec 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
(18 rated review, please note)

Stewart Home, in an interview :

literature is about the creation of reactionary bourgeois subjectivities… [I] write with the intention of destroying the novel as we know it

[Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane is] funny if you've got a black sense of humour, and hopefully it is unreadable and distressing to those who are uptight, po-faced, repressed and even more deluded than the narrator!

It looks like Stewart Home has been trying to be the literary mashup of Kathy Acker and
Tosh
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For reasons I don't fully understand, since I live in Los Angeles, I love novels by Londoners when it has London in its narrative. Stewart Home maybe my favorite London novelist in the 21st Century, and I am saying 'maybe' because i haven't read every novel by him.... yet. But nevertheless his new novel "Mandy, Charlie, and Mary-Jane" is a superb piece of work.

Like his other writings, this novel runs on different pistons of the engine. Its a commentary on culture, its politics and the by-produc
Ryan Van Runkle
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book. Super funny. At times I found the violence too much. My favorite moments were actually really banal scenes where characters were walking around London. I didn't need all the gory pyrotechnics. The writing is strong enough at the sentence level. The humor is A+ top shelf. This is real humor: subversive, dangerous, human, true. The interest in cult/nontraditional culture is worth the price of admission alone. This might be the future of fictive writing. 2013 is different. We live i ...more
James Tracy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most of Home's stuff this is dirty, filthy, violent and utterly brilliant.
Jim
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
An unnerving send-up of the campus novel. Meet Charlie Templeton a lecturer in cultural studies with a nose for trouble. The coke-snorting, colleague killing academic has many kinks, chief of which is having sex with unresponsive women that he has drugged. Like American Psycho, the novel includes a number of disquisitions on horror movies, identity politics, terror plots and prog rock but he hates Coldplay so he has that going for him. Looking forward to reading more of Home's work.
Steve Davies
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home's new anti-novel is a radically inauthentic slab of cultural theology and stuffed from bum to beak with sex, drugs, art, repetition, repetition, zombies, drugs, murder, repetition and art. It's also laugh-out-loud funny.
Charlie Hill
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the spirit, perhaps, of Stewart Home, I'm going to say that this book underscores Stewart Home's status as a National Treasure...
Sacha Colgate
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, entertaining and engaging novel from Stewart Home here. Frequently funny, with some film/video sacred cows being given a good going over, the book also contains strong characters and a plot which never lets up. There's some decent, serious points being made along the way as well, and the prose style makes it very clear to take these on board. If you've never read one of Stewart's novels before, this is a great place to start. Highly recommended!
David
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an interestingly odd read. The dichotomy between how mundane and snarky the narrator seemed at some points and how depraved and horrible he was at others was the main fascination for me. It's an odd one, but oddly normal at the same time. Definitely interesting.
Barry
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I worry that Stewart Home may be insane. All the same, I'd certainly read more.
Yari
May 17, 2017
Liam Stubson
Aug 22, 2018
Stewart Home
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jazz Monroe

• Temporada de huracanes
  • Paul Takes the Form of a Mortal Girl
  • Een soort van liefde
  • Black Wave
  • Maigret Sets a Trap (Maigret, #48)
  • The Age of Innocence
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
  • The Years
  • Een schitterend gebrek
  • Vaslav
  • Soldaten huilen niet
  • The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories
Stewart Home (born London 1963) is an English writer, satirist and artist. He is best known for novels such as the non-narrative "69 Things to Do with a Dead Princess" (2002), his re-imagining of the 1960s in "Tainted Love" (2005), and more recent books such as "Mandy, Charlie & Mary-Jane" (2013) that use pulp and avant-garde tropes to parody conventional literature. His unusual approach to writin ...more

News & Interviews