Start by marking “Beyond These Hills” as Want to Read:
Beyond These Hills

Beyond These Hills

(Smoky Mountain Dreams Trilogy #3)

It's 1935, and Laurel Jackson fears the life she's always known is about to become a memory. The government is purchasing property to establish the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and nearly all the families in Cades Cove have decided to sell. Laurel is determined to save the land her family has lived on for a hundred years.

Andrew Brady, the son of a wealthy Virginia
Published September 1st 2013 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Beyond These Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond These Hills

Kathleen E.
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sunday, September 22, 2013
Beyond These Hills by Sandra Robbins, ©2013

Beyond These Hills is book 3 in the Smoky Mountain Dreams series and I was eager to find out what happens after reading the first two books in the series. Angel of the Cove is the story of how Laurel's grandparents met and Mountain Homecoming is Laurel's parents' story. Beyond These Hills is now Laurel's story. These three generation stories may be read as stand-alones but you will want to meet the families of Cades Cove, Tenn
Awjtf
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
I loved the story! I wish there was more to the series!
Jasmine
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A bittersweet story of love, family, loss, and hope.

I have to say at the start that I did read this book out of order. Beyond These Hills is book 3 in the Smoky Mountain Dreams series but I did read it first. Not sure how this will affect reading the 2 preceding books but I think it will be fun to read about Laurel's parents and grandparents when they were younger.

This is a pretty straightforward story, easy to follow, but still exciting. Laurel's family has sunk their roots deep in Cades Cove.
Kate (The Shelf Life)
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Sandra Robbins captures the life of farming in the Smoky Mountains in the 1930's in her writing perfectly. Even though the Depression is raging all around the rest of the country, the everyday life has thrived in Cades Cove. That is until the government decided it wants preserve these mountain ranges for the people of America. Making promises to the people who live there, saying they can keep their farms, that have been in their family for generations...but, the promises have proven to be false. ...more
Deborah
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Andrew Brady, the son of a wealthy Virginia congressman, arrives in the Cove to convince the remaining landowners to sell. Sparks fly when he meets Laurel, the outspoken
ACS Book-finder
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that you pick up and then cannot put down until you have read the last page. In it you will find a beautiful love story, conflict, a glimpse into history, and the overarching theme that God is in control of all things and uses those "all things" for our good and His Glory.

Laurel Jackson and her family live in the community of Cades Cove in the Great Smokey Mountains of Tennessee. The year is 1934 and the US government is moving ahead with the developmental of the Nati
Sandra Lassiter
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it

Cynthia Marcano
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Set in Smoky Mountains of Tennessee in 1935, Laurel is a smart and family loving young woman who is in danger of losing the home and that she was born and raised in as well as everyone who lives in mountain community of Cades Cove.

Straight from Virginia on a mission to get the landowners of Cades Cove to agree to sell their land, Andrew is out of his league. A chance (or inevitable) meeting with Laurel sends him (and her) reeling with emotions. With their opposing views about the Mountains and a
Maureen Timerman
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The year is 1935 and we are now on our third visit with these loving people who reside in Cades Cove, TN. We are with Laurel Jackson, the Granddaughter of the first book in this series, Anna Prentiss. There is a visit with beloved Granny.
The Cove is in real danger now, so many families are gone. The CCC is clearing the area and creating the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There is a lot of heartache in what is happening to their beloved, and beautiful home. How do you fight the Government?
Abbie
This is book three of the series Smoky Mountain Dreams. The end of Cades Cove is in sight as the land is being bought up to turn into a national park and there are only a few hold outs the main ones being Laurel’s family. The government sends in Andrew Brady to get the last few hold outs to sell. As he gets to know Laurel and her family he not only falls in love with her he struggles to do the job he was sent to do.

Laurel is the granddaughter of Anna from book one and the daughter of Rani from
Veronica
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
This is an interesting story about change and trying to do what's right, even when you're being treated unfairly, all wrapped up in a love story! I was impressed with how the Jackson family showed love and friendship to Andrew, even though he was representing the government who was taking away their home. I appreciate that we have the national parks and have been to quite a few, but I never thought about the people who might have been forced off their land to make way for them, other than the Na ...more
Amy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beyond These Hills is the third and final book of the Smokey Mountain Dreams Series. I really liked this story. I loved the characters and really felt a connection with them. In this installment, you are introduced to Laurel Jackson and Andrew Brady. Granny, Anna, Simon, Matthew and Rani from the first two books of the series are also a big part of the story.
I loved how the author describes the mountains and surrounding areas. Making me feel like I am really there experiencing the scenery.
It i
Kim
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. This was the first book by Sandra Robbins that I have read. I would like to read the rest of the series now. I love historical fiction and I did learn a lot of history while reading this book. Sandra made the characters come alive. I visited Cades Cove 10 years ago with my family so I was able to visual myself in the story too with her descriptions. It made me want to go back again. I feel like I have so much more knowledge of the area and I think I would appr ...more
Cherie Kasper
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Sandra Robbins and I loved it, couldn't put it down. I had a peek at the Smoky Mountains from the balcony of Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. As I was reading the book I could picture a little bit because of seeing the clouds so low over those mountains.
I learned so much about the setting of the story and the different things that went on during those times. It seemed so real to me, like I was really there in that valley with the family. I felt like Sandra did a great
Julie Smith
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of Sandra Robbins' work, Beyond These Hills. It was my first exposure to Sandra's writings. Although I did find it to move along a bit slowly, especially during the first half, I found the story much more enjoyable by mid-way. I enjoyed the weaving of Scripture throughout, without being too heavy-handed. I thought the characters were lively and likeable. The plot was a bit simple, but spiced up a bit with the forest fire scenario. All in all, I would read another of Sandra ...more
Emily
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was the end of a trilogy about the people who lived in Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains. The Cove is now a part of the national park. You can get a sense of what it was like for the people to give up their ancestral homes under duress from the government. You'd be better off reading the first two books first, though. Angel of the Cove sets it up. Mountain Homecoming is the story of the second generation. Beyond These Hills finishes the story.
Carole Jarvis
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, as well as the whole Smoky Mountain Dreams series. Heartwarming and bittersweet at the same time, brings back memories of family vacations and fall foliage trips to the Great Smoky Mountains. Spiritual themes that I could relate to, recommended.

Full review:
Kathy Heare Watts
I will have to say I enjoyed the three books of the Smoky Mountain Dream series. I actually got teary-eyed in this third book when Granny died at the age of 91. We met her in the first book and she was a central character in all three books.
The message of love and forgiveness and God's saving grace in each story is important. I would highly recommend these stories to anyone.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I have visited the Smoky Mountains dozens of times - one of my favorite places on earth. Each time I go, I make sure to drive through Cades Cove. From now on, I will think with new insight of the people who used to live there, thanks to this series.
Renee
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice conclusion to the series Full review 9/20.
Leigh Bale
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delightful story. Dealt with the unique issue of government land ownership. I write a forest ranger series, so I was very drawn to this issue. Very touching story that sits close to my heart.
Beverly
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cade's Cove

A beautiful series about the splendor of God's artistic perfection of the Great Smokey Mountains and it's heart "Cade's Cove".
Janet
Jun 27, 2018
Rhonda Richardson
Jun 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Smoky Mountain Dreams Trilogy (3 books)
  • Angel of the Cove