Start by marking “The Red Badge of Courage” as Want to Read:
The Red Badge of Courage

The Red Badge of Courage

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  77,022 Ratings  ·  2,955 Reviews
The Red Badge of Courage is considered one of the most influential works in American literature. The novel, a depiction on the cruelty of the American Civil War, features a young recruit who overcomes initial fears to become a hero on the battlefield. The book made Crane an international success.
Published December 12th 2012 by Start Publishing LLC (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Badge of Courage, please sign up.

Katherine Thomas WE read most of it in 8th grade and didn't really understand it. I'm glad we did though; once I was old enough to understand how to fear self-betrayal…moreWE read most of it in 8th grade and didn't really understand it. I'm glad we did though; once I was old enough to understand how to fear self-betrayal and my own cowardice I was also smart enough to remember this book and reread some of the pieces.(less)
John Johnson I would call it a realistic war novel. It is a descriptive story about the experiences of an 18-year old soldier in his first battle, but I don't see…moreI would call it a realistic war novel. It is a descriptive story about the experiences of an 18-year old soldier in his first battle, but I don't see it as a judgment of war.(less)

Emily
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I feel almost guilty about how much I disliked this book. I know it's an important piece of literature, that it changed the way people viewed war, it's an American classic, etc. etc. But I could NOT stand it. I thought it was boring and I didn't really care what happened to the main character. I was totally distracted by how the author called him "the youth" instead of his name and I had to have my brother-in-law explain to me what the point of it was since I just couldn't tell. Maybe my tastes ...more
Henry Avila
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Battle of Chancellorsville in northern Virginia 1863 , one of the bloodiest 24,000 casualties of the war between the states, is the focus of this novel. Henry Fleming a naive , restless farm boy not yet a man, from New York State, goes off to fight during the American Civil War. Against the tearful pleading of his widowed mother not to, Henry out of patriotism or boredom wants to join the Union Army. Many months pass of training and marching, before Fleming gets into action. Some of his frie ...more
matt
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book made my heart race and made me hear gunfire.

I think Crane manages to create the perfect visceral novel. Sure there is symbolism if you want it, but at its core this book is about experience.

Like a delicate flower, this book is easily ruined by too much prodding attention. Just read it, take it in, let yourself get dragged into the story and imagery. Don't think, don't read it closely to prepare for a paper or discussion, just experience it.

I would never teach this book in a class. I wo
Thomas

Intellectual Thomas thinks this story changed people's perception of war and made them think about the individual psychological processes involved in combat. He thinks that this book had a nice flow of thought that concluded with the narrator learning to be less whiny.

Thomas Thomas - the college-student Thomas that has almost no free time to read for fun, and therefore only wants to read satisfying books - feels that The Red Badge of Courage was super frustrating in that its author, Ste
Duane
Most novels about war are broad, sweeping stories that try to capture the big picture of what happened. But what's it like for the individual? What were they thinking, feeling, and experiencing? That's what Stephen Crane brings to life in this book. He shows the fine line between courage and cowardice that exists in everyone. An American classic that has never been out of print.

Revised December 2017.
Nathan Albro
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found it disappointing that The Red Badge of Courage, an American classic, was dull, had poor pacing, and lackluster characterization. There might be historical value in this novel, written by Stephen Crane who was born nearly five years after America’s civil war ended, but there is little to enjoy. The novel does focus on the psyche of the protagonist – more so then on the war itself, but I found myself not caring. I didn’t care for the characters nor did I care about the battles or the war. ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane
The Red Badge of Courage is a war novel by American author Stephen Crane (1871–1900). Taking place during the American Civil War, the story is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle. Overcome with shame, he longs for a wound, a "red badge of courage," to counteract his cowardice. When his regiment once again faces the enemy, Henry acts as standard-bearer, who carries a flag.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1998 میل
Moses Kilolo
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Henry Flemming set off to join the war, he perhaps did not have a clear picture of what lay before him, what his decision meant. Like every other young man (across the divide of time and circumstance) he envisions his return as a hero - an achieved man. but does he pause to consider the damn hardship of the battlefield? Perhaps not! At some point he actually runs, but his conscience torments him. A series of happenings (accidental- i think) push him back to track, and there he tries to prov ...more
Beth F.
Here is a recreation of my brain while reading this book: "Alright, it's about time I read this and so far, okay. I like the prose, I like the prose, I like the...um...STOP TALKING! Stop talking to each other! Shutup! I can barely understand you! UGH. Thank you. Nice prose...nice...okay, nevermind. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Gross. I hate fight scenes. Boring AND gross. Gross AND boring. Stop fighting. Stop talking. Get on with it...this is boring..."

Overall, I'd have to say that the dialog
Roy Lotz
Tolstoi made the writing of Stephen Crane on the Civil War seem like the brilliant imagining of a sick boy who had never seen war but had only read the battles and chronicles and seen the Brandy photographs that I had read and seen at my grandparents’ house.

—Ernest Hemingway

I think Hemingway’s quote sums up the book pretty well. The Red Badge of Courage was written when Crane had never seen battle; it is the product of a young man’s imagination (he was only in his early twenties), trying to vivi
The Red Badge of Courage 1 4 Nov 26, 2017 12:11PM
Never too Late to...: * 2017 November: The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane 8 17 Nov 19, 2017 02:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 9 30 Jul 21, 2017 05:50PM
1000 Books Before...: The Red Badge of Courage 1 3 Feb 18, 2017 01:16PM
Around the Year i...: The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane 1 12 Apr 15, 2016 09:28AM
  • The Young Man's Guide
  • The Frontier in American History
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • The Rough Riders
  • Bull Run
  • Boy Scouts of America : The Official Handbook for Boys (Reprint of Original 1911 Edition)
  • Across Five Aprils
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • The Crisis
  • The Soldier's Art (A Dance to the Music of Time, #8)
  • Confederates
  • The Thin Red Line
  • A Stillness at Appomattox
  • Andersonville
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • A River Runs Through It
19879
Stephen Crane was an American novelist, poet and journalist, best known for the novel Red Badge of Courage. That work introduced the reading world to Crane's striking prose, a mix of impressionism, naturalism and symbolism. He died at age 28 in Badenweiler, Baden, Germany.

More about Stephen Crane...
“It was not well to drive men into final corners; at those moments they could all develop teeth and claws.” 52 likes
“Over the river a golden ray of sun came through the hosts of leaden rain clouds.” 15 likes