Start by marking “Defiant Daughters: 21 Women on Art, Activism, Animals, and the Sexual Politics of Meat” as Want to Read:

Read Book

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
When The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory by Carol J. Adams was published more than twenty years ago, it caused a immediate stir among writers and thinkers, feminists and animal rights activists alike. Never before had the relationship between patriarchy and meat eating been drawn so clearly, the idea that there lies a strong connection betwee ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Lantern Books (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Defiant Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant Daughters

Evander Lomke
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am in the fortunate position to have been the editor of "the mother book," "The Sexual Politics of Meat," by Carol J. Adams. Working under a tight deadline with Carol years ago (Could it be twenty-plus?), on a manuscript that carried a somewhat foreboding academic title ("Against the Texts of Meat"), turned out to be a life-changing experience. I had never quite considered the ethical dimension of eating "animal corpses"--as Carol puts it in another of her books--particularly thro the lens of ...more
Hannah
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol J. Adams but I have read about it and heard various erudite people speak on it's subject matter so many times that I felt picking up this book to read on holiday should really just prompt me further along to acquiring a copy of the original text.

The selection of essays were incredibly inpsiring and linked many issues connected with gender, femininism, veganism with themes of struggle, finding your one's way and ultimately defiance of the op
Nova
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having read these intimate stories I feel as if I'm in a circle with these 21 women, our arms around eachother in support. Stories of breakdowns, breakthroughs, and awakening... stories that illustrate the strength in vulnerability and the power of praxis (theory in action). As I read the book and felt as if I was entering that circle, I couldn't help but reflect on how deeply these ideas permeate my own life. I realized that the only time I knowingly ate meat in over 10 years was when I ordered ...more
Melissa
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received my copy of Defiant Daughters as part of a Goodreads First Reads contest. I will preface my review with a few pertinent facts: I have not read the original source material The Sexual Politics of Meat, I am a meat-eater, and, while self-identifying as feminist, I have a general bias against many hard-core ideologies, whether they be about feminism or diet.

Disclaimer of personal bias aside, Defiant Daughters was good for what it was: the anecdotal ruminations of women who had had their l
RoseAdagio
I thought this was a great anthology that explored various questions and aspects of being a vegan feminist (and how The Sexual Politics of Meat (20th Anniversary Edition): A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory influenced each woman sharing her story). The only thing I have to critique, really, is the demographic of the contributors. It would have been nice to have included more voices from women of color and other marginalized backgrounds.
Katie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, non-fic
This was SO interesting. I haven't read 'The Sexual Politics of Meat' myself, but hearing about all these ladies' reactions was really insightful and inspiring. I've always felt that there was a hidden link between veganism and feminism and now, I feel that I'm a lot more aware of how closely-linked the two things really are.

I would recommend this to any vegan or feminist, who is interested in opening their mind.
Caroline
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection of lived experiences of the sexual politics of meat is mesmerising, thought provoking, terrifying and beautiful. Deserves 6 stars I could not put it down.
Lori
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read The Sexual Politics of Meat yet but this collection of essays sure made me want to! Interesting take on veganism....still processing my thoughts about this angle.
Gerry
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone interested in intersectional issues.
Sully
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book talks about 21 different stories of women and how reading The Sexual Politics of Meat has affected their lives. I didn't know what to expect from reading this book about animal rights and women right. First of all, I'm a meat eater. Second, I am a feminist but not an active feminist meaning I do what I want but don't advocate my views to others.

With that disclaimer put out, I truly enjoyed this collection of stories (some more t
Corey Wrenn
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting read for anyone who has been impacted by the work of Carol Adams and anyone interested in the stories of women in the animal rights movement (their stories are so often excluded, ignored, and forgotten). Contains contributions from well-known activists as well as up-n-comers. I would recommend this as light bedside reading, as it is not especially academically rigorous. For educators, they may find that a few chapters may be helpful for getting students to think about connections ...more
Keira
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Content warning: r*pe, abusive relationships, self-harm, animal abuse, animal murder, human murder, abduction, disordered eating, drug abuse.

This was an amazing book. I'm so glad I read it. I connected with so many of the stories, thoughts, desires, etc in this book. It is not a light read. It weighs heavily on me, but I can feel it sinking in slowly, and with another reading at another time, I think I could get new ideas, perspectives, feelings from it.

These stories are little personal memoirs
Madeliene
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!

What a fantastic read! Here's a book full of the voices of strong vegan, feminist advocates, examining the intersectionality of veganism and feminism, queerness, disability, eating disorders, fat-positivity, and more! While the book relies on women's experiences and interpretations of Carol J. Adams's "The Sexual Politics of Meat", it veers away from critical theory and is, in essence, the "applied" version of its predecessor. This is really such a thought-provoking, inspiring, an
Elisabeth Haljas
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD! First of all, all these stories are so personal and interesting that it's difficult to stop. Secondly, as I haven't read The Sexual Politics of Meat, I was so utterly surprised how much feminism and veganism go hand in hand! The stories are sometimes similar but sometimes come from such a different angle what I could never have imagined. And even though after reading it, I realise feminism still had nothing to do with myself going vegan, I see how it can be the case for so many people. ...more
Jesse
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Even though I'm vegan + feminist, I felt like a lot of what was written about by these essayists made me extremely uncomfortable (meat eating being a manifestation of the patriarchy, for example). I feel like intersectional feminism does lend itself towards a plant based diet, but not because of breast feeding and cows? I liked that they had a whole array of women writing from all different backgrounds, but most of what was said was really surface level or just too much of a leap for me.
Jenna
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Women young and old write personal stories connecting animal rights and feminism, as inspired by Carol J. Adams, in this deeply intimate anthology. Each story resonated with me, often mirroring my own journey to become a passionate vegan feminist, and reminded me of the undeniable interconnectedness of these two justice movements.
Jola Cora
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting reading, brought so many thoughts to my mind.
Nice to see that somebody thought of creating the word "veganphobia" not knowing the French Vegan movement had already named that issue "vegephobia"!

Barbara E
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed each women's personal perspective. Now I needs to read Carol Adams' books.
Anna Cordova
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of the essays were better than others, which the only reason I gave it four stars. The overall content is inspiring, the rating clear, perspectives relatable.
Veronique Perrot
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
for my review, go to my blog http://thevegancommunicator.wordpress...
Marlies
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Of course it gets 5 stars! My dearest friend Kara edited it!
Susan
  • Sister Species: Women, Animals and Social Justice
  • Always Too Much and Never Enough: A Memoir
  • On Being Vegan: Reflections on a Compassionate Life
  • 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • We Animals
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals
  • Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
  • How to Be Vegan: Tips, Tricks, and Strategies for Cruelty-Free Eating, Living, Dating, Travel, Decorating, and More
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • The Case for Animal Rights
Wendy Lee is the author of the novels The Art of Confidence (Kensington), Across a Green Ocean (Kensington), and Happy Family (Black Cat/Grove Atlantic). Happy Family was named one of the top ten debut novels of 2008 by Booklist and awarded an honorable mention from the Association of Asian American Studies.

A graduate of Stanford University and New York University’s Creative Writing Program, Lee h
More about Wendy Lee...