Start by marking “Diggers Go” as Want to Read:
Diggers Go

Diggers Go

The excavator goes, "chumma chumma hufft hufft FALUMP." The steamroller goes, "CHUG chug CHUG chug moooooosh." The wrecking ball goes, "BOOOOOM!" Come on down to the construction site and make some noise with eight exciting construction vehicles as they rumble, crunch, chug, and boom their way through this lively book! The oversized format lends itself to the shape of the ...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published July 23rd 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Diggers Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diggers Go

Start your review of Diggers Go
Susan
It's so cute when your 2 year old starts saying "falump."
Janet
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another title in Light's board book series on transportation vehicles and this time it is digging machines. However, Light does include a couple that do not dig and since they are vertical machines the illustrations for those two machines are presented vertically on the two page spread, which is a nice touch and what gets the book a four star rating.
Little
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh the sound effects! Perfect for babies who are interested in sounds but have yet to grasp meanings. I'm sure this will be a hit with older babies and toddlers as well, or for any adult who likes to be silly and make a lot of noise!
Eliot Reads
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All kinds of awesome trucks making all kinds of fun noise.
Kris Dersch
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidslit, board-book
Great, visual little book for young construction lovers.
Hannah
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My sons love all the sounds in this book!!!
Samantha
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another one to keep the toddlers riveted.
Annie Payne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book! We all loved the sounds!
Richie Partington
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie's Picks: DIGGERS GO (board book) by Steve Light, Chronicle, July 2013, 16p., ISBN: 978-1-4521-1864-2

"Dig it. Dig it. Dig it. Dig it."
-- The Beatles (1969)

Okay. So what would YOU be figuring if you came upon a grown man sitting by himself, loudly going,

"THE FRONT LOADER GOES SKWEE BRRUMM BRUMM SKOOOOOO SKOOOOO"

Yup. Either he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic OR he's just gotten hold of the new Steve Light book DIGGERS GO, and he's trying out all the new machines.

"THE EXCAVATOR
Sue Morris
This board book contains the pictures of eight construction vehicles and the sounds each makes as it is used on a construction site—or in your house! The eight vehicles are the excavator goes . . . HUFFT-FALLUMP; forklift goes . . . WHIRRRFFFTT-BONK; jackhammer goes . . . KKAKKA-AKK; dump truck goes . . . PA-LUMP ; front loader goes . . . BRRUMM-SKOOOOOO; steamroller goes . . . CHUG-CHUG; bulldozer goes . . . RRRUMBLE-SCRUUMBLE; and the wrecking ball goes . . . BOOOOOOOOOM!

Diggers Go is a thick
Crystal
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad this is only a library book because my three year old AND my baby both looooooove it. I have it memorized already.
Edie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The large size of this board book matches the large size of the topic, construction vehicles and it is full of SOUNDS that dominate each page and beg to be sounded out, again and again and again. The images are not defined by outlines but rather blur a bit, just the way you would describe working machines that do not rest (unless they go Goodnight). The shape of this dynamic book even changes with the size of the vehicle described. This is a book that demands participation and will be enjoyed by ...more
Barbara
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: jobs, vehicles
Anyone interested in what goes on at a construction site will enjoy this sound-filled board book, but it is intended for young readers. The watercolor illustrations provide a perfect backdrop for the noises made by an excavator, a forklift, a jackhammer, a dump truck, a front loader, a steamroller, a bulldozer, and finally, bringing everything down--a wrecking ball. Young readers may enjoy having the chance to turn the book horizontally and vertically in order to appreciate all the destruction.
Amy Forrester
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Falump, beep, and grrrakka along with machines at a construction site in this energetic and noisy board book. Colorful diggers created with mixed media share the extra long pages with the rhythmic and bold all-caps text. Set off against a crisp white background, the illustrations make create use of texture and thick, glossy black lines.

Full review at http://picturebookaday.blogspot.com/2...
Alice
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This is a fun twist on the "Animals Sounds" book, instead of "Cow goes MOO" It is Fork lift goes "BEEP BEEP BEEP....whirrrffft bonk" It is done in a large board book (almost a foot long) and you have to sometimes turn the book around to get the whole effect. Boys love their dump trucks and construction equipment so this one is sure to check out a TON!
Elizabeth
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
I love this book for introducing the concept of onomatopoeia. The sound words in this book are so fun to read aloud! The formatting and illustrations are eye-catching and bright. This book works great as a read-aloud for almost any age- especially for toddlers and even attentive babies! I've used this in several storytimes in both physical book and digital book formats.
Rachel
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-book
Construction sites are noisy places and the eight vehicles in this board book are no exceptions. The excavator goes, chumma chumma chumma huff huff falump and the dump truck goes beep beep beep beep screeeech and so on. Playful illustrations of the construction vehicles, vibrant text and a fun format make Diggers Go a standout.
Emily
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The excavator goes, CHUMMA CHUMMA CHUMMA HUFFT HUFFT FALUMP...The forklift goes, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP WHIRRRRFFFT BONK..." I can't imagine a more fun board book to read and act out together with a toddler. This will be a new go-to birthday purchase for me, for 1-2-yr-olds with birthdays everywhere.
June
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young vehicle requests
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
The topic will ensure the popularity of the book. However, the unusual sounds will make it less popular with some adult readers.

A pretty straight forward machine/sound book. The pictures make use of the book length. A little confused by the book title, since the book includes a forklift, dump truck, steamroller, wrecking ball...
Michael
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Big machines make big noises, can you make them too? Sing along with excavators, wrecking balls, and a whole chorus gears and wheels and roaring engines.
For more great picture books for little guys, see: http://www.talestoldtall.com/B4BPictu...
Sara
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
well now I can't seem to convince my toddler son that construction equipment makes sounds, since we have memorized other books where diggers dig, etc. But it's a great read. Gonna borrow the trains go book next from the library!
Brian Powell
Nov 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
This book is wildly inaccurate vis a vis the sounds actual trucks make. Really Steve? Does an excavator sound like it goes "chumma chumma chumma hufft hufft falump" to you? No, that's the sound a floppy turd makes as it exits your decrepit anus, you swindling miscreant.
Kimberly
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
This book can get really fun, with all the sounds from the machines at a construction site. My 3 and 5 year old had a lot of fun repeating the sounds as I read. I could see how this could be even more fun for a younger child. Good for Toddlers and babies.
Stacie Herbert
We loved this unique shaped book, and enjoyed having to turn the book different ways to show off the vehicles. My two year old son loved the sounds of the diggers, I see us taking this one out a few more times.
Mary
This is a great board book for kids who are really interested in building machinery. Each page has a different machine that makes a different noise, and the reader is encouraged to make the sounds along with the vehicle. Very short and simple--best for a very young reader.
Manidipa Mandal
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Onomatopoeic fun and good illustrations for toddlers and babies.
Dragonfly
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
So many long words like boooooooom
But it's truethebook is special.
Vicki
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Any child who loves "BIG" equipment should read and share this book. Beep, beep, beep.....
Lindsay
transportation, construction - Oh the language!
Dana
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Onomatopoeia! So fun to read.

• Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • R Is for Robot: A Noisy Alphabet
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Early Bird
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Mighty, Mighty Construction Site
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • Bloom Boom!
  • Play! Play! Play!
  • Den of Wolves (Blackthorn & Grim, #3)
  • The Napping House
  • Belly Button Book
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • The Afterward
  • Bear Snores On
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
Steve Light grew up in an enchanted place known as New Jersey. He went on to study Illustration at Pratt Institute, he also studied with Dave Passalacqua. Upon graduating he did some corporate illustrations for companies such as: AT&T, Sony Films, and the New York Times Book Review. Steve Light then went on to design buttons that were acquired by the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. He has since ...more