Start by marking “The Vow” as Want to Read:
The Vow

The Vow

No one has ever believed that Mo and Annie are just friends. How can a guy and a girl really be best friends?

Then the summer before senior year, Mo’s father loses his job, and by extension his work visa. Instantly, life for Annie and Mo crumbles. Although Mo has lived in America for most of his life, he’ll be forced to move to Jordan. The prospect of leaving his home is de
Published October 15th 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vow

Start your review of The Vow
Jasprit

The Vow was another book which I had highly been anticipating, the pretty cover and story of two friends who would do anything for one another I found highly appealing. However in parts it delivered everything I was asking for, but in other parts it left me feeling sort of conflicted.

Mo and Annie had been friends for years, no one ever understood their friendship; how could these two only just be friends? But Annie and Mo found friendship in one another when they had nobody else. Mo and
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
I dont know, man. I dont know. Its realistic, but...but...

I just wanted something happy ;_;
Hana Bilqisthi
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The premise is great.
The plot is realistic
But the writing is not really good especially the first part. There are so many filler and unnecessary part but it get better and better.
And I really like the message "there is always a way out" and "giving up is an option"
3.5 star for Mo and Anne
Isamlq
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this one we have rash decisions founded on a long time relationship that defies definition. I've got to hand it to Jessica Martinez... neither of her previous books feel as different as this one does. The leads and their connection to each other especially stand out.. then there's what's allowed to happen because of that link.

The two are set apart but for reasons that differ. He's the foreigner come into a small town community where people make it their business to know what others around th
Kelly
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, that was an emotional ride. The story was well written and makes you feel the character's emotions. I laughed and cried so much while reading this book, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Mo's such a funny guy you can't help yourself but laugh at what he's saying.

Mo and Annie are best friends for years now, and even if no one believes them when they're telling their relationship is platonic, they don't really care because they loves each other. They're both struggling with what life is thr
shady boots
Sep 20, 2014 marked it as to-read

I find that a little stupid/ignorant. A guy and a girl can very much be strictly BFFs, even if they're both straight. But whatever.
Sara Grochowski

The Vow is Jessica Martinez's third young adult novel, following her debut, Virtuosity, and her sophomore offering, The Space Between Us. If you've never read one of Martinez's novels, what are you waiting for?? Like her first two books, The Vow is impossible to put down and incredibly intense.

Annie and Mo have been best friends since Annie came to Mo's rescue in elementary school after an unfortunate pants wetting incident. Ever since, the two have been inseparable. Mo is sarcastic and super fo
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Can I just say WOW and WOW again because The Vow is one of those books that will take you there and by there I mean it will have you thinking about things you never ever thought you would think about.So I have to give kudos to Jessica Martinez for doing her homework and creating a story that crosses every boundary known to man. Lord first off getting married at 17 or 18 is a crazy idea but then marrying your best friend is even crazier and the reason behind said marriage is even crazier than I e ...more
Amanda
The plot of this sounds like the real life of a former friend...
Summer/Sunny McDaniel
Originally posted at Blue Sky Bookshelf

Note: If I had to give this a starred rating, I would give it a 2.5 so I rounded up.

When I saw the cover and then read the synopsis, I knew I had to read it. How could I not? Two best friends come together to save one of them from moving back to Jordan by falling in fake love. I went on Edelweiss and being a newbie member, I thought, why not? Then I got accepted.

Unfortunately, that was short-lived.

The story switched from Annie's to Mo's perspectives ever
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I started out liking this book. I loved Annie and Mo’s friendship and thought her plan was so selfless and wonderful. I liked that these two people were straight and yet had no feelings for each other beyond friendship. Even though the ending was a bit predictable, there were other things that frustrated me so much about this book. One was the insta-love between Annie and Reed. One date and she is basically lying to her best friend and struggling with being in love with him. Ugh. Also, there was ...more
Samantha Savarimuthu
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emma
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The characters in this book are good but sometimes get a little bit annoying. I wish I could have connected more with Reed but I never liked him or disliked him. He was just kind of there I guess. BUT THE ENDING OH MY GOSH THE ENDING. The story was good and the small side plots made it interesting.
Jenni Arndt
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-own
One thing that is always a pleasant surprise when it comes to contemporary novels for me is when one that I expected to be passive and fun ends up having way more layers than I could have imagined. That’s what happened with The Vow. Between the racism that Mo suffers and what happened in the past to Annie’s sister, there is a lot of emotion in this novel. Unfortunately some of the happenings in the story just seemed a bit too unrealistic for me to fully invest in it.

Annie and Mo have been best f
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
View the full review here:

Annie and Mo are about as close as you can be without actually being a couple. They know each other through and through and, above all else, they have their backs. Mo's life, however, is in turmoil when his father's work visa is denied and the inevitability of his deportation is imminent. Annie is equally devastated, but she's determined to do something. The answer is there, but it could change everything - even there friendship.
Debbie Narh
good

2.5 Stars

At a glance, reading the synopsis, this story sounds completely...ridiculous. It does, and for the better part of the novel, I couldn't bring myself to understand why anyone would want to write a novel about this. But near the end I could see why because this is a huge issue and the longer you think about it, it's a story about friendship but deeper and has a lot more meaning. The Vow is maybe the book that defines the line between best friends and best friends.

Characters aren't dis
Fiction_TheNewReality
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Review: A huge thank you to The ARCycling Program for providing me with this ARC copy for review! I was a little skeptical with this book at first. I usually don't read "unusual" contemporary novels, where the storyline is not flat-out love, but I decided to take a chance with The Vow, and I am so glad I did.

Storyline/Plot This storyline broke my heart. It was everything they couldn't say, everything they couldn't do, all wrapped up into one book. It was definitely a realistic concept written ve
Geraldine (geraldinereads)
Originally posted on my blog: Stack of Hardbacks

I usually don't read contemporary, because it seems like the plots are all along the same lines. But, after reading the synopsis for The Vow, it came across as something new and exciting; especially when it came to the plot. I mean having to marry your best friend to have him stay in the U.S is pretty crazy.

I absolutely loved the characters in this book, they were so real and easy to relate to. My favorite character had to be Mo hands down. Mo came
S.E.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I have come across so many stories of people entering marriages of convenience for the sake of a US green card that “The Vow” should not have attracted my attention. However, it did, mainly because this is the first time the subject matter is introduced in a YA book, and my first thought was : Will this be a book that Lea will read?'

Mo and Annie are best friends. Mo’s father loses his job and the family has to relocate back to Jordan. Annie proposes that they get married so that Mo can continue
Erica
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was exciting and fast paced, but not my favorite.

The two main characters, Annie and Mo, are typical best friends but they aren't romantically involved.

In the beginning of this book I found it to be confusing just because you don't know why the characters are doing the things they're doing until it's later explained.

The ending was heart wrenching but nice to read. I had a tears by the end. While I thought there could've been closure to wrap up the story. I still overall felt like it
Andrea
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: y-a, abandoned
So slow I skipped entire chapters to get to some action...which never happened! I thought she was going to fall in love with this guy, when I skipped to the end and they were in the same place they were in chapter one I was like seriously? If that's the pay off I get for my time investment then I'll read something else.
Mary Catherine
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I know it's only March, but this should go on everyone's reading list for the fall season. So not what I was expecting (but what I was expecting, I'm not even sure) and a beautiful, realistic story of all types of love.
Gaby
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on Queen Ella Bee Reads

THE REVIEW

Mo and Annie are best friends - but they're not secretly in love with each other. They really are just best friends who platonically love each other very much - Annie having gone through the murder of her big sister just as Mo, the very foreign, vaguely Muslim boy moved to Annie's ignorant small town. They were both ostracized and there for each other at just the right moment, really. So when Mo is being ushered back to a society that won
Sophie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
There’s going to be a lot of ranting in this review, because as an international student, I can relate to a lot of the immigration issues that Jessica Martinez (Canadian!) brings up in The Vow. I found myself inevitably drowning in the book, and even though I kind of knew how the story would end, it didn’t make The Vow any less emotional to read. Martinez captured the feelings of a heartwrenching friendship while tackling serious issues such as illegal immigration, race discrimination, and rape. ...more
Kailey (Kathryn is looking for me)
I really enjoyed this book, and I'm not complaining at all about how it ended- I thought it had the best ending it should have, but I wish there was more of the aftermath. I would've liked to see more of what happends after where the book ended, with their families, with Bryce and Reed, just more in general would have been nice, but the ending as-is was fitting.

I'm almost feeling like Mo and Annie had no idea what they were getting into, what the true ramifications of what they did would mean,
Gloria
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Loved the idea and the proposition however it lacked any real conviction and I wasn't all together happy with the ending.

There was just a bit too much rambling about nothing and I actually had to skim through them as it was meaningless to the story line. A lot of unnecessary conversation.

A re-write possibly?
Andrea Hunley
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A character-driven YA Lit book that reads super-fast (like The Sun Is Also A Star...). The Vow captures the tensions of elation ships in our current age-issues of cultural differences, immigration, class... I did not want this book to end. And when it did, it was not the ending I wanted, but the ending that fit.
Galion Public Library Teens
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review by C.N. : "I really loved it."
Abegail Topado
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Uhm, don't know what to feel bc of the ending.
Princess Consuela Banana Hammock
If I were to remove all the inconsequential/futile parts from this book, this novel would be a quarter of its length
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie
  • The Notebook/The Wedding
  • The Last Song: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • The Lucky One (Main Theme): Piano Solo, Sheet
  • Dear John (screenplay)
  • Letters to Juliet: Celebrating Shakespeare's Greatest Heroine, the Magical City of Verona, and the Power of Love
  • The Last Song Songbook: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • Safe Haven
  • A Walk to Remember
  • Inside Divergent: The Initiate's World
  • The Lucky One
  • Dear John
  • The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
  • The Twilight Saga - New Moon Songbook: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster
  • The Best of Me: by Nicholas Sparks | Summary & Analysis
  • The Last Song
  • The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)

News & Interviews

“You live in your own world, don't you?" he says.
"What do you mean?" He says it like it's not an insult, but I've heard too many versions of the same comment to take it any other way. Spacey, dazed, out of it - this is how people see me. I should be used to it.
"I mean you seem like you're thinking hard about things that aren't in this room.”
1 likes
“And where's my ring?

She laughs, drops her fists in her lap. 'Your Ring? Where's my ring? And why aren't you down on one knee?'

Because I'm driving and because you're the one who asked me. Everybody knows the asker supplies the jewelry.

'Everybody knows? You made that up- how would everybody know? The guy always buys the ring.'

Moneys tight. How about Junior Mints and a Coke instead?

'Deal,' she says.”