Start by marking “The Z Club” as Want to Read:
The Z Club

The Z Club

RISE OF THE ZOMBIE-KILLING NERDS…

When a Chinese space shuttle carrying mysterious cargo crash lands in the small town of Trudy, Iowa, a group of nerdy horror movie buffs must band together to stop an outbreak that is bringing the dead back to life and turning the rest of the population into brain-eating zombies.

THEY’RE STILL NOT HAPPY ABOUT BEING PICKED ON IN HIGH SCHOOL…

Published December 13th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Z Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Z Club

Start your review of The Z Club
Lori
Read 4/2/15
4 Stars - Highly Recommended to fans of zombie lit with a sense of humor
Pages: 248
Publisher: Self Pubbed
Released 2013

There is nothing better than picking up a book with the intention of reading just a few lines on that first page to test it out, when the next thing you know, it's four hours later and you've read the darn thing cover to cover.

That was me and JW Bouchard's The Z Club two weeks ago. By now I think you guys know that I'm a super-sucker for all things zombies. I've read
Bandit
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once in a while a book proves to be exactly as much un as it advertises. Z Club is that book. Small town nerds unite to fight zombies to a custom made soundtrack no less. It's all very entertaining by the way of B movies and cheesy creature features. If you want extra cheese with that, there are bonus features (just like a movie would have), including a B movie treatment that makes the first part of this sentence punny. Light comedic fun read, very quick one at that, can't believe that was ...more
Robert Davis
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A special thanks to the author, J.W. Bouchard, for generously providing me with a free and signed copy to read and enjoy.

A fun, tongue in cheek, zombie story. I completely pictured it in my minds eye as a low budget, but not poorly made movie. (I saw Fred being played by Tyler Labine, not Jack Black as the author had described him.)
Abbie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 2.5
Josh
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read for those who enjoy spoofs. The book does not take itself seriously, and that makes for a fun ride. I would compare this to ZOMBIELAND maybe even pushing into ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES. I am not going to go into characterization or any of that, because this is not that kind of book.
Jade - Louise
Won this in a goodreads giveaway

This book has some first class writing. It is absolutely hilarious and had me hooked, and i mean hooked. The only time i put this book down was when i finished it. For me it had a type of 'Shawn of the Dead' type atmosphere. A couple of friends fighting a zombie apocalypse and a disregard for the advise to stay indoors. The only downfall is that there weren't any major character deaths, a few injuries and hands being cut off but nothing major.

The deleted scene
Alyssa Greatbanks
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book skips around a fair amount at the beginning, before the friends group up. It will probably take you about 5 chapters before you can get the timeline straight in your head. Besides that, I thought it was a very well written book. The town is believable, the characters are three-dimensional, and the plot is awesome. Plus there is a little bit of science thrown in (which I also like to see in a Zombie novel).
Sunshine✰✰✰
I thought this was a great zombie book. A group of friends often get together in a cemetary and just discuss all the different types of zombies there have been in movies. Then, lo and behold, a missing chinese shuttle falls into their town and BAMM! Zombie outbreak. The part at the end with patient zero was way out there and I wish it was explained a bit more, but it was a better B-rated book than I was expecting
Ezri K
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book
Wasn't horrid, but definitely lack luster and leaned heavily in the clichés. Though I'm pretty sure that it wasn't doing it for satire. At least was able to finish the book. Would have been a 3 star, but the constant switching of view points without warning, and sometimes multiple times in one paragraph, docked another star for the rating.
Would not recommend as a read.
 Marla
3.5 stars. Short fun story where a group of friends/nerds have to save their town and the rest of the world from zombies.

Likes:
* Comic book store setting
* Saved by the nerds!
(view spoiler)

Dislikes:
* Assuming popular girl would be a b----
(view spoiler)
D. Campbell
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Decent book, and a pretty quick read. It's always nice when a genre book introduces some kind of new thinking to the area, and Z Club did that. I'm always curious with zombie books as to how the "infection" is explained, and Z Club uses a pretty cool idea on why the zombie are addicted to brains. Made me smile, and it's even something I would consider using in a book of my own. Nicely done. I had to roll with the ending a bit more than I expected, and the final "baddie" I didn't see coming, but ...more
Jennifer Jimmerson
This book is a lot of fun. Zombies take over a small town in Iowa, and it's up to a small group of men (former high school nerds) and their girlfriends to save the town. I enjoyed this book, It made me laugh, and the characters were well developed and likable. some parts were gross and utterly male, but I recommend this to anyone who wants to get out of a book rut and have a suspenseful, sometimes gross, and fun read.
Patti
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, just not a great one.

While I do love the original "Return of the Living Dead" movie for all its cheesy goodness, I don't like my zombies to be screaming for "Brainsssssss." It's a cheap, cheesy move. And Bouchard never did explain about the Sheriff zombie.

The little "inside jokes" regarding zombie lore was good. Characters weren't bad.

Touchka
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well certainly the author had fun jumping over the shark over and over again... also the cheap cheap jokes... aaaaand: DELETED SCENES in the end of the book! No hate, but does a zombie novel has to be so cheesy?
Orange
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short book was all about Braaaains! Mmmmm Good!
Fred
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I was going to give it a five, until I came to the bonus monster at the end. That just didn't make sense.
Stephanie Zhong
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read! I love zombie/apocalyptic stories and it was thoroughly entertaining! Couldn't put the book down and the characters were really funny.
Stephie
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
hm...truly felt like I was reading a b rated comedy horror flick. good fun read when ur not looking for something too intense.
Sara
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Light hearted solid zombie romp..loads of pop culture references and a group of self titled "nerds" who know them all...retaking their town with their humour intact....enjoy!
Joseph
Mar 19, 2015
Pushpendra k tiwari
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Next Best Boo...: The Z Club - Author/Reader Discussion 55 85 Jun 26, 2015 09:31PM

• Circus of the Dead
  • Predatory Animals
  • Pandemic
  • Hunger
  • The Z Trilogy: Three Stories about the Zombie Apocalypse (Snatchers: A Father's Story/The Girl with the Flying Saucer Eyes/The Z Word)
  • Sea Sick
  • Zombie Killer
  • Zombies & Other Unpleasant Things
  • The Barn (A Short Story)
  • Ravage (Ravaged World Trilogy, #2) (Damienverse, #6)
  • Teacher's Pet
  • What the KECK? Zombies of the Caribbean
  • The Gates (Hell on Earth, #1)
  • A-Z of Horror: Complete Collection: Fear from beginning to end
  • D is for Degenerate (A-Z of Horror, #4)
  • The War On Horror: Tales From A Post-Zombie Society
  • Warriors (The Peeling, #3)
  • 2389
J.W. Bouchard is a horror, crime, science fiction, and children's fantasy author best known for his novels Last Summer and The Z Club. When he isn't writing, he enjoys surveying unexplored parts of Wind Cave in South Dakota, traveling to exotic locales, and teaching his kids bad habits. He lives in Iowa.

You can also find me on:

Facebook