Start by marking “Gaby, Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
Gaby, Lost and Found

Gaby, Lost and Found

Wanted: One amazing forever home for one amazing sixth grader.

"My name is Gaby, and I'm looking for a home where I can invite my best friend over and have a warm breakfast a couple of times a week. Having the newest cell phone or fancy clothes isn't important, but I'd like to have a cat that I can talk to when I'm home alone."

Gaby Ramirez Howard loves volunteering at the
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Gaby, Lost and Found, please sign up.
Olivia I absolutely adored this book. Cervantes manages to tackle several prominent issues from a child's perspective such as parental deportation and animal…moreI absolutely adored this book. Cervantes manages to tackle several prominent issues from a child's perspective such as parental deportation and animal welfare. The book is extremely well written and you can't help but cheer for Gabby. Cervantes is an excellent writer who really manages to captivate the reader. On top of that she really makes the story accessible to both children and adults, a sign I consider to be a superb writer. I would recommend this one to persons of any age as I feel there is a lot to discuss here.(less)
Olivia From what little I've read about the author I don't think so. She may have incorporated some of her personality/life experiences into the…moreFrom what little I've read about the author I don't think so. She may have incorporated some of her personality/life experiences into the story/characters but this book does not strike me as autobiographical. (less)

Start your review of Gaby, Lost and Found
Mindee
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a marvelous middle-grade book for both girls and boys alike. Adults will enjoy it greatly, too - this one sure did. Gaby is well-developed character with whom I related easily. She and the animals won my heart, and I found myself with tears in my eyes on more than one occasion. Her relationship with her mother, especially, broke my heart. Hope is eternal, right? (Future book, perhaps, for adults - the story of Gaby's mother?)

Cervantes' writing style flows wonderfully well and kept me
Elisha Karr
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6th-grade
I thought this book was amazing. I loved Gaby and her perspective. It really touched my heart. I loved the shelter storyline and the way she paired the animals with what Gaby was going through. I loved that she took on this subject that children go through everyday. Wonderful story!
Lisa Cindrich
Jan 16, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: children-ya
Debut novel by one of my writing group peeps! Can't wait to get my own autographed copy.
Olivia
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say without a doubt that is one of the best middle grade novels I've ever read.

Plot: Gabby Ramirez Howard's mother is deported back to Honduras and she is placed in the care of her apathetic American father. As part of her sixth grade service project Gabby works at the local animal shelter and eventually takes on the task of writing up the flyers for the animal adoptions.

Cervantes impressed me on several levels. First, her writing is absolutely exquisite. It is simple enough for
Ms. Yingling
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it

Gaby is living with her father, since her mother, an illegal immigrant from Honduras, was rounded up by immigration officials at her work and deported. Gaby would like to live with her friend Alma’s family, since her father doesn’t seem to be able to keep a job or care for her properly, but he won’t let her. She would also like a cat, so is glad when the students at her Catholic school pick an animal shelter as their community service project. She uses her writing skills to write biographies for
Mackenzie
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There was a girl named Gaby and luck was not on her side. With her mom in Honduras and with her dad quitting jobs left to right and not taking care of her she pretty much is on her own. Gaby loves animals so when her class volunteers at the animal shelter she was excited about working with all the animals. Gaby fell in love with all the animals but one cat named Feather caught her eye. Feathers former owners left her at a rest top. But Feathers mean owners want her back. Find out what Gaby does ...more
Kayla Edwards
I loved this book so much. As an animal lover, as someone who works with children, and as a human being this novel spoke to me on every level. I want to take Gaby and Feather home with me so that they can always be together. I want to bring Gaby's mother home. I want to give those eighth-grade bullies a piece of my mind. But most of all, I want you to go read this book. It's definitely worth your time.
Sharie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good junior fiction.

Themes:
- illegal immigrant w/ citizen daughter left behind
- how hard it really is to take care of a pet (food/diet, sickness, litter, etc)

Overall tame descriptions and fine for most audiences. Easier reading level.
ElsaMakotoRenge
This is a wonderful MG novel in my opinion. It handles the illegal immigration issue nicely and would open up nice discussion if used in a classroom in my opinion. The reviews that complain this book supports people coming into the US illegally...I don’t agree. Gaby is a kid. She’s 11 and wants her mom to come back. Of course she thinks it’s a good idea for her mom to attempt coming back over the border again. It’s clear that it’s dangerous to try and illegal. One question I have is how come the ...more
Barbara
Sixth grader Gaby Ramirez Howard is counting the days until her mother can return from Honduras. After a raid on the place where she worked, she was deported there since she didn't have the proper papers. Gaby's estranged father steps into the picture and moves into their home, but despite his best intentions, he had no idea how to take care of his daughter. He forgets to buy groceries or pick up food from the food pantry, and Gaby must fend for herself. When she and her classmates embark on a ...more
Serina
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
(BULLY) Sweet story of a girl who feels like a stray. Her mother gets deported back home to Hondurus, and she's left feeling alone. She has school project of volunteering at shelter. A good book that is diverse with sprinklings of easy to know spanish words. Excellent at showing the bond with Gaby has with her mom, friends and animals. Showcases different topics without being pushy. There is a little bit about some bullies, but its not the main idea of story. Plus she does stand up for herself. ...more
Noor Hanis
Sob sob I just can't finish this book. I have tried my best to read until the very end of the end. It seems I failed the attempt to finish this one. The efforts have been wasted! You see I try to keep reading but I guess more books deserve my leisure times.

I'm not saying this is a bad book. The problem is me. I'm not the right reader for this book. Take a look at the back cover ; appeals to 4th until 7th graders. I AM WAY TOO OLD FOR THIS BOOK PERHAPS! I'm 17 years old for real. So I think I'm
Samantha Cornejo
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was funny but I also thought that it was kind of sad too,because of Gaby's mom not being able to live with her and that her mom was deported.Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I thought that Gaby was really being strong about her mom and how she was also being bullied at school too.I also thought it started looking up for her when she became a part of The Furry Friends animal Shelter,and met Feather! I really liked how the book ended out because it was so sweet and ...more
Catherine
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the saddest, most beautiful book I have read yet! It is about a girl whose mother got deported to the Honduras and has to live with her dad when she doesn't want to, and barely has enough money for the necessities of life. She starts volunteering at a shelter an meets a stick-thin, half-dying cat who she absolutely loves, called Feather, and ends up losing her best friend when she stows the cat away in her backpack and takes it home. It is HEARTWRENCHING. I loved it.
Christine
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gaby volunteers at the local animal hospital with her fellow classmates. She learns how to care for the animals and finds a way to help make others aware of the animals needs as well. A touching story that hits on very real topics of deportation, bullying, non-traditional families, and coming-of-age.
Jacqui
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Gaby’s mother has been deported and is now in full custody of her father who really doesn’t want to be the “responsible adult”. She, at age 10 or 11, takes care of herself and then tries to take care of strays from a shelter. She writes ads about each animal in the hopes of getting them adopted. This book about friendships, family and illegal immigrants is a great middle grade novel.
Bethe
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
bookaday #84. 4.5 stars. Gaby's love for her mother is so strong, in a time of separation. This MG story will resonate with many children caught up in immigration struggles recently in the news. Additional subtle message about animals' lives not being disposable. I know my students will relate to Gaby and her friends.
Grace
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is really good. I recommend this book cause if you like animals you will like this. It is about a girl whose mom lives in honderous and dad stays with her. She volonteers at the animal shelter and writes profiles for animals.
CatsLoveDonuts
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a sad one and reminded me of my situation in life. Even if it was sad, it still had a great plot. It is about a girl named Gaby who really wants a cat named Feather and for her mom to come home. It may cost you tears, but it's worth it!
Junie Bug
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aw! So cute and sweet! My second Mark Twain Nominee for 2016! I loved the ending, but I expected Gaby's mom to return home from Honduras. That was the only disappointment, though. ...more
Alexandra!
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes during Mrs. Kohler’s long lectures, Gaby would look out the classroom window and imagine her mom making her way through Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico by train and then walking across the Mexico-United States border with no problems.

Her mother’s perfect English and bright smile would convince the border agents that she belonged on this side. Just like that, her mom would be home and they’d never be separated again."

An emotionally engaging story, populated with a cast of realistic,
Catherine
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so sweet! Gaby is a very relatable protagonist, and I really felt so much compassion for her. She goes through a lot of teachable moments that other middle graders could relate to. 3-8 grade reading level I believe it was.
Cressida
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! The story is really, really well put together. When she does the thing, that if you read it you'd know, she seams sort of like she is not thinking right. But, don't worry she gets better.
Julia
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love animals this book is for you! If my class had a chance to volunteer I'd totally choose the animal shelter! My favorite part in this book (other than the ending ) is probably when I get to see all the pages about each animal that Gabby writes to try to get the animal adopted.

Janie
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Libby Ames
I would actually give this book 3.5 stars. The writing is slightly weak, but the story and careful handling of a difficult subject make it a powerful book.

When Gaby Howard's mother is deported to Honduras, life turns upside down for Gabby. She is left with a father she barely knows and who is rarely home. Gaby finds comfort from her school class's volunteer assignment at the local animal shelter, where she writes adoption notices for the animals. Gaby relates to the displaced animals and forms a
Keri Douglas
Cervantes, A. (2013). Gaby, lost and found. New York: Scholastic.

Gaby lives with her single mom until her mom gets deported back to Honduras. Her absentee father moves in to "take care" of Gaby, but this sixth grader can take care of herself and the animals she volunteers with at the animal shelter. Gaby becomes the voice of the animals by writing profiles about each one to promote their adoption. She wonders if she should write on about herself because she feels lost too.

This book could be used
Ana Marlatt
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a sweet story of a caring, well developed character (Gaby), who has to deal with some pretty tough life events. The parallel with the animal shelter was very cute and very appropriate. The adoption flyers written by Gaby were wonderful. What bothered me the most was the way the author dealt with immigration issues. Gaby's mom has been deported to Honduras because she entered the country illegally. She spends her time working in Honduras in order to gather enough money to hire a coyote to ...more
Lessa
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Gaby's mother was deported a few months ago and she's living with her dad who can't seem to take care of her. He won't hold a job, there's never good in her house, and the neighbors want her to live with them, but her dad says no. Gaby would press him more if she didn't think her mom was going to be home any day, although the days have quickly turned into months and everyone keeps asking Gaby if her mother really will be able to return from Honduras. Saving her from all this emotional trauma is ...more
Nevaeh Lavoie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I really loved how Gaby is so caring and brave and keeps going. Also when her mom got deportated to Honduras. Gaby has 3 friends Marcos, Enrique, and Alma. Gaby's dad moved in, and hasn't been able to keep a job, or take care of Gaby. But when her class has a project Gaby's class volunteers for Furry Friends Animal Shelter. When Gaby gets there she was in charge with writing little stories about the animals to help them get adopted. while Gaby is there she falls in love ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madeline Bell Gaby Books List 1 2 Feb 12, 2017 07:09AM

• A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • Dash (Dogs of World War II)
  • At the Bottom of the World (Jack and the Geniuses, #1)
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Skeleton Man
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves, #1)
  • The Everafter
  • Birdie
  • Kiki and Jacques
  • Ghost of Spirit Bear
  • Blue Fire
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)
  • A Good Kind of Trouble
  • A Million Ways Home
  • Heart of a Samurai
Angela is an award-winning author whose debut book, Gaby, Lost and Found, was named Best Youth Chapter book by the International Latino Book Awards and a Bank Street College of Education’s Best Books (2014). Angela’s second novel, Allie, First At Last (Scholastic Press; 2017) garnered a starred review from Kirkus. Angela's next MG novel, Me, Frida and the Secret of the Peacock Ring will be ...more
“Animales depend on us to take care of them.” 3 likes
“Then, just like that, Gaby remembered the real last time she had seen Alma cry. It was the day Mrs. Gomez had picked the girls up from school early to tell them that Gaby’s mom had been arrested at work. Alma wept immediately. She seemed to know what it meant before Gaby could even grasp Mrs. Gomez’s words. Two weeks later, when her mom was deported, Gaby cried for a week straight. It was Alma who finally dragged her outside and back into the world.” 3 likes