Start by marking “The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe

The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe

Has Gabriel created a monster?

Gabe and Seth used to play make-believe games in the woods behind Seth's family farm. It was the perfect creepy landscape for imagining they were up against beasts and monsters and villains.

Just as Gabe's decided he's outgrown their childish games, though, it appears that their most monstrous creation could be real.

Is there a ghoulish man-eati
Published July 30th 2013 by Scholastic Press

Shawn
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
by: shawn.
The Haunting Of Gabriel Ashe
Dan Poblocki
This book is a horror fantasy book.

In the beginning of this book a 13 year old kid by the name of Gabriel Ashe. He was required to move in with his grandmother, who was a famous book illustrator, to a small town north of Boston with his parents due to their previous house being burnt down. Gabriel’s father is a puppeteer and his mother is just a work at home mom. When Gabriel first moved to this new town he had no friends. Near the middle of sum
Preston M.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a book that was better than I expected. It gave me chills. I never knew what the cover was until I read into part 3. The book was boring at parts, but entertaining at others. I am starting to go into a horror/thriller faze, and this book was a great thriller. I wish there was a movie to this. Super details. Gave me chills. Recommend this to anyone who likes thrillers/horrors.
Lynette
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I didn't enjoy this as much as Graylock, but it was a unique idea and well-executed. I'm glad I discovered Poblocki's work!
Alice Z.
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
When I first saw the 2015-2016 Lone Star List, I saw The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe by Dan Poblocki and immediately thought it would be the best. Book. Ever. Unfortunately, the book definitely didn't live up to the expectations I first had.
The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe is set in Slade, Massachusetts. Gabriel recently moved to his grandmother's house after a fire destroyed his home. He soon meets Seth, his neighbor who loves hanging out in the creepy woods playing an imaginary game--the fight betwee
Tony Grandison
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book for my English class for something we call SSR (Sustained Silent Reading). We read a different book every quarter and then have to do a review for it on here for one of the grades.
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was very well thought out and had LOTS of twists and turns that were very unexpected! It always kept me on the edge of my seat. Although the plot at times seemed like it was slow to progress throughout, it still kept your attention through some of the plot changes
Keyara Clay
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
i think that this book was really good. this book was about a boy named gabe who moved into a new town and had no freinds. he moved there because his old house had a fire in his dads office and burned it all down. Gabe is sortof happy that they did because gabe was always being teased by his classmates because his dad makes puppets for a job. he soon had a friend named seth and he told him that a hunter is going to get him and that is what the rest of the book ends up with the hunter getting the ...more
L Woertz
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, wjhs
The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe is a spooky story about a boy named Gabriel Ashe who is being haunted by a long dead ghost named Mason Ingram who wants to play a game. The story starts off with Gabe and his friend Seth out in the woods playing an imaginary game where there there is a beast stealing children. But after awhile the game isn't a game anymore and the angry spirit as after Gabe and Seth. As this story progresses friendship is be lost, a child stolen, and the death of a friend who saved ...more
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
This is currently ON HOLD .
I will continue reading this at a later time.
Original start date: September 16, 2016
Put On Hold: February 23, 2018
Liz Friend
The story: Gabe thinks his adventures with Seth in the woods behind his house are just a game. Little does he know that the evil Hunter is more than just an imaginary enemy. Now both boys are running to keep just a step ahead of this monster from the past, trying to keep themselves, their families, and even their town safe. But the Hunter has more tricks up his sleeve that they ever imagined...

June Cleaver's ratings: Language PG; Violence PG-13; Sexual content G; Nudity G; substance abuse G; mag
Blackandred04
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Don't worry. Now, we'll have all the time in the world for our game. You'll be the good guy. I'll be the bad."
Where do I even begin with how much I loved this. I loved each character, even Seth which many may not like. I loved the whole jumping through reality and imagination. I freaking loved the plot. The mystery was quite literary unsolvable until near the end. It had everything that I am trash for. Halloween mystery, no romance, because they're too young, and characters that you just can'
Madeleine
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would you freak out of a ghost from a game you played actually came to life? I would run screaming, but in The Haunting Of Gabriel Ashe. Written by Dan Poblocki, this book is an amazing thriller that surprises you with every page you turn. It may have been a little slow in the middle, but there are many other parts that make up for it. An example is when Gabriel's friend tells him, " The Hunter will come for you... you and your new friends." Then weird things start happening and Gabe decides tha ...more
Isabella W
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the book “The haunting of Gabriel Ashe”, by Dan Poblocki
This was a good book but when I read the book I thought it would be more scary but it did have
mystery. In the story Gabe’s house got burned down by a fire, him and his family had moved
into his grandmother's mansion in the woods. Gabe quickly makes many new friends at his
school, Gabe’s new friend Seth and him play a fantasy game behind there two houses. After
playing the game for a while Seth starts to get possessive of Gabe and their
William Bivens
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Angélica Sastre
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a good book! Its an easy read and its a good book to read when you want to get another book out of your mind. Though it can give you creeps if you read at night, I can assure you that. It has a good story it could have been developed a bit more and maybe by addimg other details it might have been a bit more interesting. But over all its a good book and I recomend it to anyone who is looking for something a bit more light to read.
Amanda
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
At times this was a bit slow. I wasn't as invested in the characters as maybe I was intended to be. More than once I put it down, but overall there really wasn't anything bad about it. A fairly dark little tale with some real-world commentary on bullying and abuse. I think more than anything the ending surprised me... Otherwise, I might have given it an "okay" rating. I'm not sure I liked the ending, but it did catch me off guard. So kudos for that.
Liam
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alaina
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book about every year for my birthday for the past couple years (this was the first time I read it and actually finished it all the way (while comprehending it, haha)). This book was very interesting to read and made me keep wanting happiness for the characters. It made me very emotional yet overall, was outstanding. I think I'll read this every Halloween too!
landon long
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Dan Poblocki. Dan is a great author and all this books don't let down. This book was action filled and the ending was great.
Abby
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took forever to get through. It was a very very slow book.
Donna
This was just OK for me.............
Destiny M
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
it was good but you get to lost and then you don`t understand it ...more
Irene
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy creepy... Just perfect for your gr 7./8 /9 kids ,......loved it.
Traci
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I might have read it a long time ago. It seemed like I knew what was going to happen. But is was still a great read. Couldn't put it down.
Kyley✨
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I made a mistake reading this at night.
it gets creeeepy....
I didn't like it as much as Graylock but it was still really good!
I wasn't expecting the ending!
Poblocki had some good twists in there!
Georgie
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite - I liked several of his other books better
Kennedy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crappy-pastas
This book was pretty good, I wish it was scarier, though. I like how this author isn't afraid to make/let his main character die.
Jennette
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I usually love his books but this one sucked
Mary Beth
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just picked this book off the shelf. I am glad that I did. It was a good book to read.
Anthony
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because it teaches a very valuable lesson about friendship. It talks about how 2 friends stay together even after all the bumps that they go through. The best part about the book was that in really catches you. It really invites you to read it. What was also very good about the book was that you could imagine exactly what was written in the book.

I really recommend this book for teens but not too much to adults. It has some factors that hook teenagers and keep them hooked
Jake Rangel
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, it was both thrilling and intense as it is considere a horror book. I loved how intense it the plot was and how this mysterious creature stalked Gabe, the main character, and eventually had something to do with the disappearing of Gabe's sister. I loved this book, but am not in love with horror books, they just don't seem to interest me as much as action and mystery books. I recommend this book if you like scary and suspenseful books. It is great!

• Brotherhood
  • Invasion
  • Ghosts of the Titanic
  • The Extra
  • Listening for Lucca
  • Sasquatch in the Paint (Streetball Crew, #1)
  • Vote (Liar, Liar, #4)
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • The Golden Day
  • VIII
  • Foul Trouble
Author of The Stone Child, The Nightmarys, The Ghost of Graylock, and the Mysterious Four series,The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and The Book of Bad Things.