Start by marking “Pride and Pleasure” as Want to Read:
Pride and Pleasure

Pride and Pleasure

Wealth has its dangers...

There are disadvantages to being an heiress, as Eliza Martin knows well. Fortune hunters flock to her, acquaintances lie and pander, and lately, someone is engineering "accidents" to propel her to the altar. But Eliza will not be bullied, and she will get to the bottom of this plot. All she needs is a man to infiltrate her assemblage of suitors an

Paperback, Reissue Edition, 293 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Pleasure, please sign up.
Mell Having read Austen's Pride and Prejudice many times, I say that no, this is nothing even close to a remake. I enjoyed Sylvia Day's story, but no part…moreHaving read Austen's Pride and Prejudice many times, I say that no, this is nothing even close to a remake. I enjoyed Sylvia Day's story, but no part of the book resembled Austen's plot or characters as I read. (less)

Sammy Loves Books
*****3.5 Pleasurable Stars*****

kiss

Eliza is an heiress in her sixth season. She has money, manages her own finances and affairs, and has never been denied anything. She has happily decided not to marry, but to live out the rest of her days quietly reading and spending time in the country. Marriage would only cost her her freedom to do as she pleases, and would allow her husband to take over her finances. And that is just unacceptable. Eliza has no concept of carnal lust until she lays eyes on Jasper
Joan Swan
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After studying the writing craft for over a decade now, I’d have to honestly say, I’ve been ruined…at least as an objective reader. I can no longer slide blithely through redundant description, dawdling action or blah characterization. I find myself constantly searching for more, silently challenging the author to give me a reason to keep the book open, to ignore the push of real life and remain lost in their fictional world.

And while charming, shocking, seducing or even scaring a reader into ma
Treece
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

A generous plot with enough twists and turns to keep me from feeling disappointed whenever there were predictable moments. Jasper Bond is gorgeous, well-endowed and alpha to the center of his being. Eliza Martin is intelligent, strong-willed and independent. Together they are fascinating, tempestuous and compliment one another. Sylvia Day makes the most of their interaction along with the intrigue and supporting characters. A steamy, fast-paced and entertaining novel overall.
Kathleen
I did like this book but the story was lacking. I must say if I was rating this book on the sex scenes it would have been a 5 star rating, lol! I also did like the H&h a lot. I just wished Sylvia would have spent as much effort on the story line as she did in the bed chamber.
Jane Stewart
Read one of her other books. This was not good.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
I felt like I was reading a boring textbook. My mind kept wandering. It was hard to concentrate and pay attention. I did not want to keep reading, but I forced myself in order to give a complete review. There was too much description about uninteresting things. Many conversations felt like filler. Too many events were “told” and not shown. See Spoilers below for examples. Some parts of the story weren’t developed enough.

The person
Jill
Pride and Pleasure was given to me as an Arc from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Jasper Bond and Eliza Martin have me all a flutter. What a wonderfully, surprisingly, fantastic regency romance. I have been on the outs with my regency romances lately, but this one was perfect!!! A pure pleasure to read!

Eliza Martin is smack bang in the middle of her sixth and final season. She is surrounded by suitors most of them fortune hunters who seek to better themselves with her very comfortable
Aly is so frigging bored
Main characters:
Eliza Martin
Jasper Bond

What I Liked: The story was very good and a little unusual. Eliza is in her 6th season and doesn’t want to marry, and if this wasn’t unseen in the romance world, just think that she was a woman of business, she managed her inheritance and loved working with numbers. We wouldn’t have this book if something unseemly wasn’t happening, so here comes the intrigue: she hires Mr. Bond to play at being her suitor and find the person who arranges some mishaps to ha
Holly
Quite a few things in this book too me by surprise. There were several things I predicted were going to happen that didn't. Eliza, for example. She was leery about marriage thanks to growing up with a mother who prized passion and love more than anything else. She's learned to be distrustful of men and their motives and really has no desire to be attached to one. So I thought she'd have a fit when she realized Jasper wasn't everything he'd claimed to be, but Day really took things in an unexpect ...more
LuvGirl
There was nothing spectacular about this book. The hero and heroine were dull to me. It seemed like all they did was lust off of each other from the moment they met, but yet there was still no chemistry between them. The story line was boring and I just couldn’t bring myself to finish it. I was expecting so much more from this author.

Sandy M
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I’m the typical reader when I have a book I want to devour in hand - it doesn’t take long to get it read, and then I’m disappointed because it’s over and now I have to wait for the author’s next book. So this time with a Sylvia Day book, I made myself slow down. Savor. Anticipate. Hunger. Need.

It’s not easy putting a great book down, but it’s definitely worth it to make it last longer when reading someone like Sylvia Day.

Eliza is a vintage Day character. Intelligent, independent, self-sufficient
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Well... What can I say about this one? My mother always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." If I made it a habit to listen to all of my mother's advice, I wouldn't have anything to say about bad books! With that being said, this one was rotten. I was highly disappointed. It wasn't a book, it was a novella-- and a poorly developed one at that. It took too long to get to the point of the book (which I still am unclear of). That's not entirely true... I do know the po ...more
Brenda
3.5

Hay muchos momentos memorables sin embargo, al final no me terminó de "matar" como la mayoria de las veces-

Al acercarse a la parte central de la sala, Jasper aflojó el paso hasta casi detenerse. Eliza lo miró, sorprendida al verlo totalmente absorto en una de las pinturas. Tenía la cabeza tan echada hacia atrás que el ala del sombrero le rozaba la espalda.
Ella miró a su alrededor y vio que la persona más cercana estaba a unos metros de distancia. De modo que, acercándose a Jasper, susurró su
Siv30
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
2.5 כוכבים
סהכ נחמד אבל ניתן להבחין בחוסר בשלות של העלילה. לא שבספרים של סלביה דיי קיימת עלילה עמוקה, אבל לפחות בספרים המאוחרים שלה היא מגבשת סוג של עלילה שגם נכונה לזמן שהיא מתארת. בספר הזה העלילה מתייחסת לשנת 1811 והתיאורים ממש לא מתאימים לתקופה. אני מניחה שמחקר הוא לא הצד החזק שלה והיא מוכנה להתפשר לגבי מחקר היסטורי בתמורה לרומן אהבה.
Julie Dolcemaschio
PRIDE AND PLEASURE is one of those books that stay with you, not necessarily because of the story, but because of the writing. This is less of a mystery than it is a simple yet wonderful character study, and that is my favorite kind of read.

Eliza Martin is a closed, efficient woman who is in her sixth, and final, season for capturing a suitor, something she’d rather not be bothered with. She is independent and wealthy, and she is so determined to be the opposite of her mother, that she’d rather
Mei
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I really enjoyed this book!
A historycal romance with a very unusual heroine!
I loved Eliza! She's refreshing and fun. She knows what she wants and what she has to do to obtain it! There's no stupidity in her! She's straitforward and outspoken.
I loved Jasper too. He's also very intelligent and cunning!
They're very good together! Their relationship is sparkling!
Excelent book! Very recommanded!
Eva Rose
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was on sale and I could not help myself but read it, needless to say I did not enjoy myself. The entire book read formulaic and I never felt any liking towards any of the characters. The dialogue read stiff and most of the time I was just yawning and speeding through it so I could get to the end.
Titinha Scaeiro
MILAGRE... MILAGRE... Um livro da Day que leva da minha parte 4* ^_^
Amanhã faço a opinião e vão compreender por quê! ^_^
Britt
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...And just when I thought I couldn't possibly love Sylvia Day anymore.

"Client satisfaction is a point of pride, Miss Martin. By the time I am done, I guarantee you will be eminently gratified by my performance"

Eliza Martin is an independent women, happy managaing her own enormous fortune without the assistance of a husband. However it seems someone has other ideas, hatching a plot to lure her into marriage for the security and protection it could bring from many unfortunate accidents. Although
Tina
Eliza is a wealthy heiress who is a fortune hunter magnet. but lately she also has had some puzzling accidents. Obviously somebody is out to harm her.

Thief taker Jasper is hired to figure out who wants to harm Eliza. He is handsome, tenacious and immediately wants Eliza for himself. He also has a personal vendetta against one of her more persistent suitors.

I have read a few other Sylvia Day books and have always found them pretty pleasant. She was my first introduction to Historical-romantica. H
Michelle
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, traded-sold
It took me a while to really get started on loving this book, but I've pretty much read it in one day if that tells you anything (and it's not because it's a short book/easy read). There are so many things I like about this book. Sylvia Day's writing, for one. There is a perfect mix of dialogue and action, and not too much internal dialogue/repetition. The characters are just wow. Eliza is such a starchy, smart, smartass, independent British blueblood that you can't help but like her. Jasper is ...more
Beth
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Charming, Unique Heroine

The heroine, Eliza, was such a breath of fresh air in Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day - in fact, she was why I kept reading the book. Eliza is a bit of a hermit and is a genius, yet she is unschooled in the matters of infatuation and desire. She is so logical that the matter of passionate feelings is foreign to her. She has been raised by her reclusive uncle who is a bit scatter-brained due to his experiments- he is a genius himself. Eliza is a wealthy woman and someon
Feminista
Aug 25, 2013 marked it as never-to-read
DNF

I think up to date, this is my second DNF-ed ARC.

I tried my best to keep on reading it, but the characters were banal.

The heroine is a very cool and composed virgin, the only one who gets her ruffled is the hero.

The hero is a bad boy rake...

And the rest is history...

I recommend it to people who are in love with rakes and virgin historical romances. I urge you to give this book a try.

ARC Courtesy of NetGalley and Penguin Books Australia.
Cathy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Sylvia Day book since her Bared to You series (which I still haven't finished reading all the books) a few years back. I forgot how good she was at writing the sexy times scenes. Whew, I need a fan for those scenes they were smokin'. Oh, and the storyline was pretty good, too.
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Foi preciso Pecado, para Sylvia Day se redimir aos meus olhos mas, a questão mantinha-se: pazes feitas ou golpe de sorte? Orgulho e Prazer era por isso, uma leitura em que depositava expectativas e algum receio, uma leitura que tanto podia ser maravilhosa como revelar-se pouco tentadora. A verdade é que escusava de me ter preocupado. Mais uma vez, a autora entrega-nos uma história de paixões e luxúria, que nos cativa tanto
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
My daughter is a huge fan of Sylvia Day,
I still enjoy historical sagas .. romances .. Nineteenth and twentieth century period peices.

I understood that this era was a change of pace for Ms. Day .. and I wondered if she would really 'bring it'
the way I've heard.

Pride and Pleasure was a very worthy effort.
I considered Jasper Bond a complete ... gem.
A straight forward, broken but determined man who recognized WHO he needed.
In any era ... Bond would be a hard cookie for any woman to shake loose.

Read
jo_t
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The heart recognizes what the reason ignores.

Passion and love undermine the best laid plans. Eliza Martin, a self-sufficient heiress, who is avoiding forfeiting her freedom and fortune to a husband, plans to retire to the country after her sixth London season is over. Suspicious incidents make Eliza wary of her suitors, thinking someone is trying to force her into a marriage for protection. She hires a runner (London pioneering police) who doesn't take her seriously, but recommends Jasper Bond’
Beatriz
Aug 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hate-it
No le doy menos nota porque no se puede. Menuda birria de libro. O mejor dicho, que mal escribe Sylvia Day. Pero mal, mal, mal. No entiendo porqué le dan tantos premios a sus novelas. Parece que vomita palabras y hechos así al azar y le sale un libro. Nada tiene sentido. Los "giros de la trama" no son tal, es simplemente que se saca las cosas de la manga así porque sí. El protagonista masculino es el típico prototipo de tío machito que le enseña a la tía lo que es el sexo y ella cae rendida a su ...more
Adriana Munno
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
RECENSIONE A CURA DI ADRIANA MUNNO:

Alto, muscoloso all’inverosimile, bruno e tenebroso, fascino da predatore. Lui è Bond, Jasper Bond.
Ed è così che inizio questa recensione, perché ormai la serietà sta lasciando sempre di più la mia persona e l’idiozia inizia a prendere il sopravvento. Comunque scherzo fino ad un certo punto, perché il protagonista maschile di “Orgoglio e piacere” è davvero così e a me ha ricordato davvero il sempreverde James.
Non so se la
Pepe Barrascout
La historia que inició con buen pie, en el transcurso que avanzaban las páginas, se volvió más predecible. Supuestamente está ambientada en Inglaterra en la época Victoriana, sin embargo ni el lenguaje, ni las costumbres, ni las acciones de los personajes, reflejan el estilo de vida de la sociedad inglesa de esa época.

Aunque hay algunas pinceladas de la forma de vida Victoriana, más bien parece que fue ambientado así, sólo porque al fin y al cabo, había que ambientarla de alguna forma. Creo que
Elphaba J
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars*
Opinião completa em: http://historiasdeelphaba.blogspot.pt...

mbora os livros eróticos não sejam a minha primeira opção de leitura, confesso que estou positivamente impressionada com a escrita de Sylvia Day num contexto histórico, em que consegue não só oferecer pormenores de época cativantes, como construir personagens fortes e inteligentes que se mesclam na perfeição com a ousadia das suas palavras.

Este é o segundo título que leio da sua série Historical e, uma vez mais, senti-me envo
Madison Mega-Mara...: #1 Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day 1 5 Jan 25, 2015 11:55AM
  • Perfect Kisses
  • Warfare and Sin City (Marked #3.2, #3.5)
  • A Gentleman Seduced
  • Something Reckless (Albright Sisters, #2)
  • Wicked Reads
  • Alluring Tales: Hot Holiday Nights
  • Simply Shameless (House of Pleasure #3)
  • My Lord Scandal (Notorious Bachelors, #1)
  • Lady Priscilla's Shameful Secret (Ladies in Disgrace, #3)
  • In the Barrister's Bed (Regency Barrister, #2)
  • The Seduction of His Wife (Hallaway Sisters, #1)
  • The Spy Who Loved Her (Once Upon an Accident, #3)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • The Dragon Slayer (Viking Warriors #2)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • Restless Heart (Heart, #2)
  • The Promise of Love (Includes: Fast Track, #4.5; Shadow Stalkers, #1)
  • A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man
Sylvia Day (aka S. J. Day and Livia Dare) is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today, and #1 international bestselling author of over 20 award-winning novels sold in more than 40 countries. She is a #1 bestselling author in 28 countries, with tens of millions of copies of her books in print. Visit her at www.sylviaday.com, Facebook.com/AuthorSylviaDay and on Twitter @SylDay.
“Is he daft?" Bond queried.
"His brain is so advanced, it stumbles over mediocrity.”
9 likes
“there were indeed some shades of pleasure that could be colored only by another hand” 3 likes