Start by marking “Conscious Eating” as Want to Read:
Conscious Eating

Conscious Eating

Conscious Eating has been referred to as the "Bible of Vegetarians," for both beginners and advanced students of health. This classic work in the field of live-food nutrition is an inspirational journey and a manual for life. Included is new information on enzymes, vegetarian nutrition for pregnancy, and an innovative international 14-day menu of gourmet, Kosher, vegetaria ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 880 pages
Published April 11th 2000 by North Atlantic Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Conscious Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious Eating

Start your review of Conscious Eating
Laurie
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading page 30 and this quote blew me away. Then I noticed someone put it in their review on Goodreads. OF COURSE that is how we should eat.

"Not everyone makes time to pray, study the scriptures, or think about God each day, but most everyone makes time to eat. If our heart and mind are focused on experiencing food as a love note from God, eating becomes not only a way to nourish and love ourselves, but each meal becomes a time for enhanced spiritual awareness and gratitude to G
Christina
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I learned that this book has too many pages.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out ---

I still own it!

I noticed a friend read it... Its a one-of-a kind!

Brilliant --by a very brilliant guy!
Mish
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Huge with tons of reference data
Dave Walls
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book gives such a good summary of the benefits of a raw food vegan diet. Ever since I read this book, I have wanted to visit the author's health retreat in Arizona. I still hope I get to go there. The book is very cutting edge. I was fascinated by the books information about the science behind freshly made juices. I was trying to find information about this two decades later, and this book still had the best explanation of how fresh juice nourishes and detoxifies our cells. I consider this ...more
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is huge, but I feel like I'm finally getting the thorough background that I need to transition to raw and to begin to understand nutrition. I've already rated it, because it's amazing, and I'm not going to wait until I finish it. This is the kind of book that you read forever and keep coming back to.

Here's a passage that I love about the idea of conscious eating:
Carrie
Jun 28, 2010 added it
Shelves: nutrition
Unfortunately, I had to return it before reading the recipes or the chapter on food enzymes - two of the parts I was most excited about in this very large book. I may request the book again, just to read those sections, which suggests that the book is at least somewhat useful, but I'm going to withhold my rating until I review the whole thing.
Carolyn
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is the Holy Grail of veg*ism, raw foodies, Ayurvedic diets, and just about everything you'd need to know about eating for your health and the health of the planet. This is likely a reference book that you'll cherish as a lifelong bookshelf stalwart. Highly recommended, and worth purchasing.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, health
This book is like the bible of nutrition and health. It has guided me and my family to eat alive food with consciousness and thankfulness. It is dense and sometimes hard to read, but when read either in part or twice (or more) it begins to assimilate within. I am very thankful for how this book has influenced my life.
Alison
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Really good stuff....and then stuff I just can't yet get behind, like the SOEFs part.

I will be returning to this when I am not pregnant or lactating (10 years or so, lol!) to help inspire me to cleanse.
Swanelle
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
The author wrote this book to an audience of SAD (Standard American Diet) eaters, so some of it is irrelevant if you eat more healthily. Despite that there is a lot of information in this book to make anyone think. It can be scientific and esoteric, so it won't be great reading for everyone.
Karli
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is THE book on eating. Whenever I find myself getting off track, I return to this book for re-direction.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book to reference while on the whole foods/living/raw foods journey.
Tammy
Oct 24, 2008 is currently reading it
ONLY
you can heal your body!! trust in your body
Nick Woodall
Good book, chock full of ideas to really make you think about your eating. I don't really get into all the new-age stuff, but the food information is great.
Deb cambria
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting...strict eating but lots of good nutritional information
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
For whatever reason I could not get into this. Honestly I don't think I got beyond the table of contents. Maybe some day I will come back to it and it will speak to me.
trisha
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
taking my time, this one's a monster, and full of info i need to, ahem, digest, and evaluate.
Adriana
Dec 18, 2011
Denise
Feb 07, 2012
Lindsay Van Allen
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2014

• Siddhartha
  • Shocked by the Bible: The Most Astonishing Facts You've Never Been Told
  • The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective
  • The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
  • Save Me from Myself: How I Found God, Quit Korn, Kicked Drugs, and Lived to Tell My Story
  • Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices
  • Eaternity: More than 150 Deliciously Easy Vegan Recipes for a Long, Healthy, Satisfied, Joyful Life
  • How to Go Further: A Guide to Simple Organic Living with Woody Harrelson & Friends
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • Winona's Web: A Novel of Discovery
  • The Vegetarian Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity with Vegetables, Fruits, Grains, Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, and More, Based on the Wisdom of Leading American Chefs
  • Astrology for the Soul
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Relationship Strategies : The E & P Attraction
  • Blankets

News & Interviews

“If our heart and mind are focused on experiencing food as a love note from God, eating becomes not only a way to nourish and love ourselves, but each meal becomes a time for enhanced spiritual awareness and gratitude to God. It becomes a way to directly experience a meaning of “give us this day our daily bread.” It provides a regular opportunity for the conscious eater to take the time to receive and read God's love note, rather than toss it unconsciously into the garbage can of the stomach. Eating consciously is a way of opening one's heart to God. It is a way to feel the Divine presence.” 1 likes
“It is enough to be, nothing more is needed.” The” 1 likes