Start by marking “Dead Is Just a Dream (Dead Is, #8)” as Want to Read:
Dead Is Just a Dream (Dead Is, #8)

Dead Is Just a Dream

(Dead Is #8)

The people of Nightshade, California, are dying in their sleep, and fifteen-year-old paranormal warrior Jessica Walsh is determined to find the killer . . . or killers. Justice isn’t the only thing on Jessica’s mind, however. Some days she’s not sure which is worse—having a creepy clown lurking outside her window or having her rock star boyfriend’s hot ex-girlfriend drop b ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Is Just a Dream, please sign up.
Zackeisha Ayonote No, because if u don't read them in order then it will be confusing

This was a YA paranormal story, featuring a murder-mystery.

Jessica was an okay character in this, and it was good that she took her duties as a virago seriously. It was also nice to see Daisy in this book a bit though.

The storyline in this was about several murders happening in Nightshade, and Jessica and Daisy trying to help solve them. We also had a nightmare horse running round and a freaky clown as well, and an ex-girlfriend trying to stir up trouble between Jessica and Dominic.

The ending t
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

The Dead Is series has been there with me since the start, really. I've been reading it since I was a tween, and I've always enjoyed it. Now, though, I feel that I've grown out of it and am completely bored with the idea. Thankfully this was the finale or I would've just never picked any of Perez's books up ever again. If you're looking for a book for a tween who's 11, then this is a great start, as these book
ERIN SCHMIDT
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the eighth book in the Dead Is series overall, and the third one in which the protagonist is Jessica Walsh. When we last saw Jessica in Dead Is a Killer Tune, she and her sister viragos (town-defending women warriors) had to solve the mystery of the bizarre behavior of Battle of the Bands contestants during Jessica's freshman year of high school. 'Just a Dream' opens at the end of summer, with Jessica becoming a sophomore.

This year's strange occurrences include a ghostly, red-eyed white
Magic Shop
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Dead Is Series.
Recommended to Magic Shop by: Goodreads.com, public library.
I didn't realize this book had come out yet until I found it at the library. Guess it was my lucky day. I spotted it and grabbed it. I couldn't wait to start it when got home. I have been reading this series for about two years and this is the eight book. I thought it was a cute, short, easy, and funny read. I was able to understand it and finish it quickly because the chapters were short and it was pretty easy to read. I liked the plot and thought that the powers the characters had were really ...more
Allison Grace
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Jessica Walsh, a sophomore at Nightshade High and a virago, has had a really quite summer. But her tranquillity and happiness comes to an abrupt end the minute she sees a horse on a beach. Afterwards, people in Nightshade are dying and the rest of the population isn't getting any sleep. With the help of psychic sleuth and neighbour, Daisy Giordano, Jessica will do everything to solve this mystery, even if it means losing a bit of sleep.

I've been a huge fan of the Dead Is series ever since I pick
Olivia Hennis
SNAPSHOT:

There is a curiously inviting familiarity to Jessica, her fellow virago warrior women, and Nightshade, the quaint town populated with every conceivable monster and myth. The writing, plot, and characters won’t present any intellectual, social, or emotional challenge, but neither do they offend or belittle the audience for enjoying them.

While the central mysteries to the plot are either easy to figure out (which, correctly solving the twists makes for great ‘ah ha!’ moments), some of the
Becky
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-review
I thought I was going to be dead after reading this book but it turned out to be a lot of fun. It is a book in a series and it is like a soap opera from the 80s. It is filled with a huge cast of characters and while it can be a stand alone I think reading the whole series in order would add to the effect of the various story lines. I will definitely have a great time recommending it some of my readers at school.
Lena
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, vampire, shifters
Clowns, marras, puppets, exgirlfriends - still nothing is as scary as your good looking boyfriend about to leave you and go to college, lol. Jessica teams up with Daisy to solve the town murders this time, which I liked. The crimes themselves made little sense and the Mara was unresolved, poor girl. Very happy epilogue ending but really, this was pretty boring. 2.5 stars.
Cara
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was my least favorite book in the series. I feel that when you live in a small(ish) town, the death of 6 citizens should have WAY more of an impact than it did in this book.
Nunchi Goya
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book hit me in the soul. I started this series when I was in like middle school. And honestly put off reading this part of the series because I was still not emotionally ready to move on but I finally womaned up and started it.
This. Books is everything you've come to love about Marlene and the the kick butt virago Jessica. Murder is a foot and this vigilante virago is out to save the town but she needs the OG Psychic sleuth Daisy Giordano.
Buckle up boys and girls its what we've all been w
Kristina Garza
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I was really sad that this was the last book of the series, even though that they made Jessica the main character in the last couple of books. I really liked following Daisy around, anyhow, I really enjoyed this series because it was a fast and easy read that still drew me into the story. Also I'm glad that it ended on us finding out what happened with Daisy, whether she still had her abilities, along with her and Ryan's story line. Yay! I'm sad to see it go, there is still so much that could be ...more
Shayla
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, but I didn't like Dead is Just a Dream as much as the other books. Maybe I'll have to go back and read it slower so I can enjoy more of Perez's wit and humor. Or maybe after 8 books I've finally hit the wall. Don't get me wrong, it was still a really fun story and fast read, and I think the middle schoolers will enjoy it when I put it in the library but there is something missing, and I can't put my finger on it.
Abbie
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating - 2.75

The characters in this annoyed me at times, but they weren't bad.

Just like the others, this wasn't an awful read, but I wasn't a fan of it either. Really glad this was the last one.

Overall, Not awful, but I'm glad the series is over now.
Lupine Smile
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This book seemed like a quick tour of the world that the author has created for the series. We were shown some old favorites in quick order, but the plot was left behind. There were too many characters and too little intrigue.
Rose Marie
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not the biggest fan of Jessica's, but it was a decent ending to the series.
I would've given it 3 stars if it wasn't for that 6 years later chapter at the end
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summary:
Nightshade is under attack again. Jessica and her verago warriors must fight to keep the town safe, but what are they fighting? People in town can't sleep. They are suffering and dying because of nightmares (shout out to my favorite horror film series, Nightmare on Elm Street). What is going on in Nightshade that is causing these deaths? We have plenty of suspects. Could it be a killer clown? What about the ex-girlfriend who happens to have arrived back in town? Maybe it is one of the ot
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Jessica is starting to get the hang of being a virago and things have been quiet in the town of Nightshade. Her relationship with Dom, the lead singer in Side Effects May Vary is going well, that is until his ex shows up at the invitation of his mother. With nothing to do one night, Jessica and her friends head off to a local art exhibit where the painting look like your worst dreams. After the show, they hang out at the beach where they see a strange ghostly horse and coincid
Maci
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dead is Just a Dream by Marlene Perez is about Jessica, a sophomore at Nightshade High School. Jessica lives in the small town of Nightshade where strange things happen in the night. Jessica is a Viagro, a woman warrior, who protects the town from the supernatural beings with bad intentions. But Jessica isn't alone, she has her fellow Viagro's and good friend Daisy. When people are found murdered, Jessica teams up with psychically gifted neighbor Daisy to find the killer before it is to late. Th ...more
Barbara
Sophomore Jessica Walsh is concerned about her fellow citizens in Nightshade, California, since so many of them are dying in mysterious ways. When this teen female warrior and her friends set out to solve the mystery of these deaths, they encounter the deadly night mare, a horse that rides through the town, possibly bringing violent ends to others. Or could the murders be traced to the bizarrely macabre artwork on display in some of the victim's homes? While Jessica tries to figure all this out, ...more
Bella C.
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is the best thing that has happened to me, I read A LOT, like a lot. This is the best book/series I have ever read. I encourage anybody in 5th to 9th grade to try reading this series. I wasn't so sure about the first book but I continued to read they kept getting better and better. Jessica and Daisy are amazing characters you can relate to especially if you are in Junior High/High school. The book is horror, romance, action, paranormal and mystery. I am not a big fan of vampires and ...more
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Still cute, but a little bit less than last time.

Jessica's virago status is talked about, as is her boyfriend's mother not liking her, but that wasn't as central to the book as I'd have hoped. Instead, we get a jealous ex and a Mara (nightmares come to life) and paintings that might kill. We still hear about the band Side Effects May Vary, and refer to past events/people but in under 200 slight pages it's starting to feel as though there's something missing. It's almost as though this could hav
Danielle Long
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hmmm, I'm kind of conflicted with this book. I felt it just went to fast. I love this series but I felt it didn't flow together like the other books do. Also, is this the end of Jessica's story? The reason why is Daisy got 5 books for her freshman, sophomore, junior and senior year with one following her first year of college. Jessica is only getting 3? At the end it jumps 6 years in the future with Daisy and Ryan (not giving anything away)as they make plans together, with Ryan mentioning Katie ...more
Morgan
The initial series and spinoff are all under "Dead Is" as a series name, but it's sort of one group of kids and then the next group (with cameos from the originals). They are all pretty short, paranormal mysteries of a "Young" YA sort.

I thought they were all smart, fun, and entertaining. The original gang is definitely my favorite, but this second group was good too. Sort of a cozy mystery for young teens with a bit of light romance and fun paranormal bits in a small town full of 'semi-secrets'
Valerie
Good ending

This was a good ending to this series. I really have enjoyed all the books. I hope she will be visiting the town of Nightshade again. Jessica is a good little detective. It was able to solve the mystery fairly quick. I just wish she could have helped that little girl before her father moved them. Cause she needed a friend and some joy in her life. We got a glimpse also of what going on with key players six years later. Awesome.
Alice Liu
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dead is Just a Dream leans more towards murder mystery than supernatural virago action as compared to some of the other books in this series. There are creepy artists, a mythological creature, and romantic conflicts. As with the other books, it's a fun read for the younger teen audience. It was a 5 star read until the end where the suspects were obvious and the relationship conflicts resolved themselves a bit too easily.
Vee C.
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
i've enjoyed all of the books in the Dead is series. they're quick, easy reads that are packed with mystery and a touch of cute romance. i really hope there's another book after this because i feel like the ending left a few things open. especially the short story "she loves me, she loves me not" that was in Daisy's POV, like what about Sean's sister Katie! is she psychic too or what? Did i miss something? Maybe it's just me. i also don't want the series to end.
Jenette
This was even stranger than the previous one. And I don't mean that in a good way, I mean the epilogue sort of blind sided me with its cuteness. It was great having Daisy back but even she wasn't enough to inject this with some more depth. The problems were solved far too easily and Tashya just gave up. Definitely not up to the standards of the original Daisy novels.
Angela Castriota
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a first-read. Having not read the other books in the"Dead is..." series, I felt a little lost with all of the characters. With that in mind, "Dead is Just a Dream" was a fast, easy read perfect for Tweens interested in the supernatural.
Rena
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I simply could not get into Jessica's character has much as I did with Daisy.

I like that this book in particular includes some more of the other characters. And the Mara plot was very interesting. I just didn't like the Jessica/Dominic drama. It just gets really old after three books worth.
Lin Lin
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book talks about a very short story about a group of teenagers solving a series of mysterious death in a nightmare in the town they are living in. it can be a little creepy,but that would not affect it as a good book.
  • Splendor (Sacred, #2)
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • Projection
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Inquisitor's Apprentice #2)
  • One Crow Alone (After the Snow, #0.5)
  • The Hidden Deep (Threshold #2)
  • The Book of Blood: From Legends and Leeches to Vampires and Veins
  • Rock Harbor Search and Rescue (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #1)
  • The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
  • The Mortal Instruments Companion: City of Bones, Shadowhunters, and the Sight: The Unauthorized Guide
  • Engines of the Broken World
  • Killer Cruise
  • Neptune's Tears (Timedance, #1)
  • Invincible Microbe: Tuberculosis and the Never-Ending Search for a Cure
  • Generation Dead: Stitches
  • Moon Shadow
Author of the paranormal teen mystery Dead Is series and the adult urban fantasy Nyx Fortuna series. My new young adult novel Forward Into Darkness releases on April 25, 2017.

Nyx Fortuna series
Strange Fates
Dark Descent
Fortune's Favor

DEAD IS series is as follows:

DEAD IS THE NEW BLACK
DEAD IS A STATE OF MIND
DEAD IS SO LAST YEAR
DEAD IS JUST A RUMOR (AUG, 2010)
DEAD IS NOT AN OPTION (Spring, 2011)
DEAD I

Dead Is (8 books)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is, #1)
  • Dead Is a State of Mind (Dead Is, #2)
  • Dead Is So Last Year (Dead Is, #3)
  • Dead Is Just A Rumor (Dead Is, #4)
  • Dead Is Not An Option (Dead Is, #5)
  • Dead is a Battlefield (Dead Is, #6)
  • Dead Is a Killer Tune (Dead Is, #7)