Start by marking “Ice Dogs” as Want to Read:
Ice Dogs

Ice Dogs

Victoria Secord, a 14-year-old Alaskan dogsled racer, loses her way on a routine outing with her dogs. With food gone and temperatures dropping, her survival, and that of her dogs and the mysterious boy she meets in the woods, is entirely up to her.

Author Terry Lynn Johnson is a musher herself and her crackling writing puts readers at the reins as Victoria and Chris experi
Published February 4th 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Ice Dogs, please sign up.
Ally I wish that there would be a sequal! its a great book
Karen Upper Adventure
Realistic fiction…more
Adventure
Realistic fiction(less)

Start your review of Ice Dogs
Kendare Blake
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was lucky enough to read an early draft of this great survival story and fell in love with the dogs! Lots of shivers, lots of strife, and a girl at the center with backbone and heart.

Plus, look at the dog eyeballs on that cover. Be mesmerized, by the dog eyeballs...
Terry Johnson
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
ICE DOGS is a Junior Library Guild Selection!

"a page-turner full of white-knuckle action…Readers will be riveted until the end." -- Publishers Weekly

"(A) thoroughly engaging and incredibly suspenseful survival story… Well crafted, moving and gripping." -- Kirkus

"The high-stakes adventure and episodic nature of the chapters will make this book an easy sell for reluctant readers." -- School Library Journal

"This is the best book in the history of the world." -- Sandy Johnson (author's mom)

update:
SheLove2Read
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A coming-of-age/survival story about a young Alaskan girl, the teenage boy she rescues, and her team of sled dogs.

My heart melted every time there was an interaction between the dogs and our young heroine. I cried twice. An emotionally satisfying YA read. I loved it. 4.5 stars
C.
My adult granddaughter has a blue-eyed Siberian husky, so I bought this book for her 10-yr-old daughter(my great granddaughter, who is an avid reader) to read, thinking she would enjoy it because of their husky. She was very happy because she had started reading her school library's copy, but wasn't able to finish it before it was due back. Can't wait to discuss this book with her! :D

I have always been awed by the hardship of sled-dog mushing/racing, particularly because of the environment, so I
Kelly
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-fiction
Ice Dogs is a young adult novel written about a junior musher in Alaska. She takes her dogs out for a run (with the sled and all its trappings) and ends up finding a snowmobiler that needs help. They get lost, and this is the story of their voyage back to civilization. Victoria Secord has a special bond with her sled dogs, and she trusts them with her life every time they run together. Ice Dogs will show you why her trust is so well-placed, and just how strong the bond between dog and human can ...more
Aggie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Is full of emotions, good lessons and things that we all need to understand in our lifes. At the start I was quite sceptical about all events and storyline. But no doubt it's a great story that will stay with me for a long time. I cried like a baby and yet, I'm so happy that I read this book!
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle- grade readers
This book was wonderful! I felt as though I were visiting Alaska as I did in 2012, seeing the mushers with their sled dogs. And Johnson’s descriptions of the scenery were breathtaking. It was an excellent adventure story that featured a teenage girl with an unusual hobby. I believe it would appeal to middle-grade boys and girls alike.
Brenda
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
This would be a great book to pair with Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.
Josiah
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
When a dogsledding story is done well, I can't think of anything more beautiful to write about in the natural world. Racing for miles through glittery, unbroken snow; blizzard conditions as eerie and deadly as the deep ocean; frozen bodies of water that one feels a twinge of fear in crossing, however solid the ice appears to be. Gary Paulsen wrote a few classic dogsledding books, and their realism owes to the years he spent running his dog team in Minnesota and Alaska, even completing the legend ...more
A
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE,LOVED this book!!!!! Its a survival story, with heartwarming characters, its sometimes funny, and a great storyline. I will DEFINITELY be reading this against soon. :)
Cheryl
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Victoria owns her own dog sledding team. She is good at what she does and does not do so bad in races either. This is all thanks to Victoria's father. He taught her everything that she needs to know about having a successful dog sledding team. Sadly, Victoria's father died.

Victoria decides to take her team out for a run. Victoria comes upon a boy. He is hurt. His name is Chris. Victoria tries to get Chris home but realizes that it will be Victoria's greatest adventure yet...surviving in the wil
CoriA
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Probably a 3-star book for me as an adult, but a 4- or 5-star book for my younger self and/or because I really like dogs. This book was a fun, exciting survival story about a girl and her dog sled team. I'd definitely recommend it for elementary- and middle-grade readers who enjoy survival stories and/or love dogs.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ice Dogs, and I relished reading a survival story featuring girl, since I remember enjoying survival novels when I was in elementary school (My Side of the Mountai
Stina
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-stories, youth
Ice Dogs exceeded my expectations. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who enjoys . . .
- Dogs! Particularly working dogs who behave like real dogs and steal your heart without being sappy and also without dying at the end.
- Adventure/survival in the wilderness, with believable events and knowledge imparted as part of the story, not in a ridiculous info-dump.
- Teens being brave and smart and tough and also funny and endearing and flawed but lovable.
- Alaska, the formidable freezing no
Elizabeth☮
Victoria is a young teenager that is coping with the loss of her father. She finds solace in dog mushing and recalling the survival skills her late father taught her. Victoria's talents are put to the test when she finds herself caught on the trail alone in a snowstorm.

Just when Victoria thinks things can't get much worse, she finds a teenager boy, Chris, that has crashed his snowmobile. The two have to learn how to rely on one another as time and the weather work against them.

I like the setti
Becki
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it

Set in the unforgiven Alaskan wilderness Ice Dogs is a tale about triumphing over obstacles, survival and believing in yourself. It's a really intense read especially for a middle grade read.

This story is fast paced and full of real life lessons, morale choices and techniques when facing the many trials thrown in Victoria's path.

The dogs were fantastically written and all had their own little personalities. It was so easy to fall in love with every aspect of this book, I wish I read it when I
Ally
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I have read it four times. I first read it in 6th grade then it progressed and I just finished reading it for the fourth time. I am now in 8th grade, 13 years of age, and love the book still. I think adults and kids my age would love the book. You will fall in love with Victoria and Chris and the many many dogs Victoria has(16 dogs I beleive)
Ailbhe Killalea
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed how much the dogs and musher cared for each other
Jackie
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hmh
What a great little book! I would have adored this as a kid. Great characters, fun animals, and adventure.
Abigail Mailly
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing alway shad me on the edge of my seat!
Emily
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kathie
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

ICE DOGS is an adventure novel that takes place in Alaska. Victoria is a fourteen-year-old girl obsessed with dog mushing, but she's also coping with the loss of her mentor, her father, less than a year ago. On a quick trip to check out some new dogs, she comes across Chris, who has been injured in a snowmobile accident. Miserable weather, combined with some unfortunate circumstances, result in Victoria and Chris finding th
Shaan Mutreja
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a very good read by the way the plot was set up and also the writing style. An added bonus was the fact that the showed you how people can use everything out in the wilds which I find very interesting .
Brody Land-Mcgowen
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Victoria Secord a fourteen-year-old amazing dog sledder feels lost after her father had died. Victoria is stuck out in the forest with this city boy she has rescued after a crash on a snowmobile while going on an errand to improve her team. I enjoyed this book for many reasons, one being that I love dogs. I also liked this book because usually the strong character in a book is the boy and I liked the change.
Willow
A wilderness survival story reminiscent of Hatchet, but with sled dogs and a lot of sass.
Ruth Schiffmann
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner! Impossible to put down!
Alex  Baugh
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randomly-reading
When her mother refuses to drive her over to see about buying some new sled dogs, Victoria Secord, 14, an experienced and competitive dog musher, decides to take her dogs and sled and go by herself. Jeremy Cook has a winning team, but now he's lost his job and may be getting out of competitive dog sledding. Vicky thinks she has a good chance of winning the White Wild Classic dog sled race and honoring her dad's memory if she can get some good, strong sled dogs, Vicky figures she can get to Cook' ...more
Julie Kirchner
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An intense survival story that will be great for readers who love hatchet. Several situations will leave you on the edge of your seat.
Ambrose WONG
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good book in terms of adventure and exhilaration and a page-turner. Also a really good book if you like animals and heroines as well as frosty environments.
Juniper Schaefer
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good and I loved the dogs
alerx 1 15 Feb 27, 2014 03:24PM

• A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray (Scholastic Gold)
  • Togo
  • A Home for Goddesses and Dogs
  • Harry the Homeless Puppy
  • Epic Solitude: A Story of Survival and a Quest for Meaning in the Far North
  • Rebels of Eden (Children of Eden, #3)
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • Panda-monium (FunJungle, #4)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • Starfire (The Guardian Herd, #1)
  • The Wild Lands
  • When Friendship Followed Me Home
  • This Much Country
  • How to Speak Dolphin
  • Call It Courage
  • Gut Check
  • Hitler's Canary
  • How I Became a Spy: A Mystery of WWII London
Terry Lynn Johnson writes outdoor adventures inspired by her own team of eighteen Alaskan huskies. Her passion for adventure has provided her with a rich background to write from.

When she's not writing, Terry enjoys hiking, snowshoeing, and kayaking. She works as a Conservation Officer (Game Warden) in Whitefish Falls, Ontario.

She is represented by Caryn Wiseman of the Andrea Brown Literary Agency

News & Interviews

“If everyone could almost die, the world would be a happier, more thankful place.” 5 likes
“Sometimes, the wild is sleeping and you get lulled into a trance. But it doesn't stay sleeping for long in Winter. You have to pay attention all the time and be ready for when it wakes up howling.” 4 likes