Start by marking “Inside the Dream Palace: The Life and Times of New York's Legendary Chelsea Hotel” as Want to Read:

The next best thing to having a room key to the Chelsea Hotel during each of its famous—and infamous—decades

The Chelsea Hotel, since its founding by a visionary French architect in 1884, has been an icon of American invention: a cultural dynamo and haven for the counterculture, all in one astonishing building. Sherill Tippins, author of the acclaimed February House, deliv
Published December 3rd 2013 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Dream Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Dream Palace

Mandy
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of my reading highlights of 2013. A long book, I couldn’t quite manage it in one sitting, but how I would have liked to! It is an endlessly fascinating and thoroughly and painstakingly well researched biography of the iconic Hotel Chelsea in New York, and follows the successive generations of artists, writers, socialites and eccentrics who made it their home or base or refuge since its founding in 1884. From Thomas Wolfe to Dylan Thomas to Bob Dylan, from Andy Warhol to Le ...more
Aries
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: divulgazione
Io spero che molti tra coloro che leggono queste righe sappiano cos’è il Chelsea Hotel.
A beneficio di chi non lo sapesse, riassumo (molto) dicendo che si tratta di un albergo sulla 23ma strada a New York che, fin dalla nascita, fu in qualche modo destinato a un’esistenza particolare, fino a diventare il centro vitale della popolazione artistica e alternativa della Grande Mela.
La lista di nomi di persone che hanno soggiornato anche per decenni al Chelsea è lunghissima e va da Arthur Milller a Dee
Kimmo Sinivuori
In her book "Inside the Dream Palace" Sherill Tippins applies the tested formula to take a cultural icon, in this case the Chelsea Hotel, as the point around which to write a counter cultural history of the USA. In some cases this formula work very well but in some cases it doesn't. Tippins in successful to an extent and there are some good passages that bring out interesting information that is new at least to me.

For example, the stories about the early artists, like Arthur B. Davies whose coll
Allan
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'm always interested in reading social history books on NYC, and have had my eye on this title for a while, so when it was released on audiobook, I decided to buy it.

I primarily know about the Chelsea from its infamy as the hotel where Nancy Spugden was found murdered, allegedly by Sid Vicious, and laterally through Patti Smith's memoir, and the novel 'Netherland' by Joseph O'Neill. Both the Spugden murder and Smith's time at the hotel are covered, along with the stories of a plethora of other
Elly Sands
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was so well written and researched that I have to give it at least 4 stars. It didn't quite get 5 stars because it gets bogged down in places with too much information. I was surprised to learn about the initial reason and philosophy regarding the building and design of Hotel Chelsea in 1885. It is too involved to write about here but one of the descriptions in the book is accurate when saying "Art was built into it's bones". It explains why over the years such a variety of artists wer ...more
Katrina
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a lengthy history of the Chelsea Hotel, the legendary home to many leading figures in American Bohemian and counter-culture artistic movement. I found the writing became bogged down in details and strayed too far from the subject matter to give it more than 2 stars.
Karen
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get through this book - it was rather a slog. I thought Tippins's writing was good, overall, but she tended to overuse phrases and words (if she described one more person as "penniless" I was going to throw the book across the room) and at times I felt that the book was getting pretty far from the Chelsea. I could see what she wanted to do - to follow the hotel from decade to decade and show how events outside the hotel were influencing what was going on inside - but th ...more
Catherine Siemann
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cities
As a longtime (though now former) resident of Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, I'm fascinated with this legendary building -- What the real estate developers have done with it in the last two years is the problem with contemporary NYC in a nutshell.

The Bohemian residents of the Chelsea, especially those from mid-century through the punk rock era, have had their stories often told -- I was fascinated to learn more about the building's origins and the philosophy behind it, and to trace various th
Mona Bradley
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
So many decades of history; so many names to try and remember.

One niggle is the book's last real chapter ends in the late 70s/early 80s and that does a disservice to the meat that is the removal of Stanley Bard as manager.

Also while the book is seemingly arranged in a linear fashion, it at times seems like there were small time shifts in chapters but it might have been me.
Stephanie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book increased my respect for Patti Smith. I'll probably tackle her Just Kids book next. Really awesome stories, cultural context, and some economic/political commentary. What a tour of space and time at the Chelsea Hotel!
Ruth
Excellently written. Full of facts and mini stories.
Bill Wallace
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fine microcosmic history with macrocosmic ripples. The Chelsea Hotel itself was an incubator of sorts for progressive, transgressive, and radical art for over 100 years. Ms. Tippins book traces the lives and art of the hotel's inhabitants and follows their paths out into the wider world in a very satisfying way that provides a different lens on some familiar mid-century history. I liked the early chapters somewhat better because I was less familiar with the stories of Howells, Dylan Thomas, a ...more
Paul
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent account of one of the great icons of New York Life - the Chelsea Hotel - from its beginning as a Utopian experiment in living - no class divisions, encouragement of artistic endeavour - to being THE place to live in the Big Apple from the 20s through to the 60s with residents as illustrious as Dylan Thomas, Arthurs Miller and C. Clarke, Bob Dylan, etc etc ....... to its seeming demise amidst the chaos of the 70s and Nancy Spungen's death.

What made the book stand out in particular is
Leah
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: promos-arcs
Inside the Dream Palace is a worthy read for anyone who loves New York, or the history of American culture. It’s doubtful that any building in the entire country has housed as many influential artists as the Chelsea, and their stories are what make the residence much more than an intriguing architectural marvel. Mark Twain, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, the Ramones; the list of notable tenants goes on and on. The walls of the Chelsea have seen it all, from Jackson Pollock vomiting profusely on the di ...more
Danika
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
surely some people of color lived at the Chelsea. there's little evidence to suggest they were anything but bellhops in Tippins' book. also, the lion's share of the female figures in the book (Patti Smith being the exception) are portrayed as tragic victims. this portrait of the Chelsea is rendered mostly in shades of white and features a lot of dicks. dear publishers and writers, i'd like to see some other kinds of paintings.
Amy
Dissertation research.
I enjoyed this read, it is a good introduction to the Chelsea Hotel and its history. The book flows like a creative piece but is backed up with lots and lots of research (seriously the bibliography is huge).
However I only give it three stars because it isn't critical enough for what I need. It serves as a nice base and serves as a lead for further, more critical research.
Philip Cherny
I came to this book with somewhat low expectations, being accustomed to regular disappointment in titles that sounded much more interesting when I heard them publicized in podcasts, added to my observation that the hype of this release outside the New York Times review apparently fizzled out relatively quickly. Fortunately I enjoyed this read much more than I expected to (or probably should have), and now catch myself recommending it to virtually all of my friends. I found myself so entertained ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book really delves into the lives of the many famous residents if the Chelsea Hotel over the years. An interesting & fascinating must read for all history, arts buffs.
Ian Forsyth
Notes & Quotes:
What was a bohemian headquarters like this doing lodged in the world's most capitalist city?

There were other fears too: that the forced intimacy of Parisian-style apartment living might lead the residents to looser moral standards, or, even worse, that the apartment-dwellers might be mistaken for the lower-class types in the rooming houses downtown.

It was difficult to attract hard-working individuals to rural phalanxes and recommended that collectives locate themselves in citi
Cinzia
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Diciamo che se questo libro avesse avuto un'altra confezione – e per confezione intendo tutto: copertina, cura editoriale, traduzione – avrebbe potuto anche diventare un gioiellino. Intendiamoci, il libro di per sé non è un capolavoro, spesso si riduce a una serie di fatti tenuti insieme da collanti spicci, ma sono pur sempre fatti legati a qualcosa di unico nel suo genere, con un'aura mitica. Si tratta della descrizione della parabola di quello che potremmo definire un esperimento sociale sui g ...more
Pamela
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an interesting documentary of sorts of the life of the building - from start to 2014. The story of the building and the many people who were in and out of the building. The story of the artists, the writers, the musicians, the drugs and the sad endings for so many. As one person mentioned it show the cowardice of Arthur Miller - something I did not know. The story of Brad - the manager of the hotel and how giving he was and how that probably contributed to the decline as the hotel w ...more
Sarah Jackson
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Inside the Dream Palace" by Sherill Tippins is a comprehensive and fascinating examination of the history of the legendary New York landmark, the Chelsea Hotel. Tippins describes the development of the building, structural and interior decorating changes over the years, and more importantly the life and times of the various guests and residents from the building. It was certainly a Bohemian mecca for writers, artists, musicians and alike, and many fabulous works resulted from residencies in the ...more
Yaaresse
Jul 18, 2017 marked it as abandoned-dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

The book seems interesting enough. So far it is mostly about how the author got interested in the building's history and background about the architect and his utopian/bohemian ideas. I was just starting to get into the profiles of early residents when I decided to throw in the towel. I suspect I'd end up giving it three stars if I could finish it.

Unfortunately, my library makes the book available only via the Axis360 app. I loathe this app. It makes both accessing details for and reading
Marcel Ozymantra
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I'm not giving this book five stars is because it's too thin. Biographies of the residents, more photo's of the builing's inside, a plan, etc, should've been added. But then it would've easily been two or three times as thick. I can accept the limitations. With internet some of this ... negligence can be overcome.
A story of a building and the residents that gave it it's live shows the development of progressive and artistic new York from the tail of the nineteenth century until
Mariana Santos
The book started off well, with the well told and very interesting story of the great Chelsea hotel. Towards the middle it got incredibly lengthy going into the lives of everyone at the hotel, their friends, acquaintances and even strangers, the story was then lost and it got quite hard to finish... still it was enjoyable enough and I would recommend it but bear in mind that you have to have a lot of patience...
G
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars - I felt the narrative got bogged down by too many excursions into the art world. If I want to know more (as in, A LOT) about, say, Andy Warhol, I'll make sure to pick up a Warhol biography. Would have liked more actual Chelsea content, especially the post-1970s period, instead of a general crash course of the New York artistic landscape throughout the ages.
Bullpost
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read on this iconic building. From its very interesting utopian-inspired beginnnings, to its rather seedy end, the book covers the history of the building and its famous residents. Anyone with an interest in Art, Music or Utopian ideas should enjoy it.
Martin Castle
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book and so thoroughly researched it’s like a reference book. You walk through all the hotels history from the buildings foundations to the present day living and breathing each year and decade. The story’s are brought to life vividly with such characters you can’t believe!! A great read.
Laura Nine
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Really interesting but tons of information that took me a while to really get into, as it was almost overload. I hate that the epilogue kinda blew through the late 80s and beyond after Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen, but plenty of good stuff about the Warhol era.
Hannele Pennanen
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interestingly written story of a legendary building and it’s famous recidents. There were so many details and artists mentionened. Were the all correct? She wrote that artist Dieter Roth hailed from Iceland but actually he didn’t - he was Swiss. But these things happen to anyone🙃
  • St. Marks Is Dead: The Many Lives of America's Hippest Street
  • The Village: 400 Years of Beats and Bohemians, Radicals and Rogues
  • The Gardens of Venice and the Veneto
  • The Walrus and the Elephants: John Lennon's Years of Revolution
  • City on a Grid: How New York Became New York
  • Man in Profile: Joseph Mitchell of The New Yorker
  • A London Year: 365 Days of City Life in Diaries, Journals and Letters
  • Under the Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk
  • Off the Beaten Page: The Best Trips for Lit Lovers, Book Clubs, and Girls on Getaways
  • Roth Unbound
  • Where Were You? America Remembers the JFK Assassination
  • Harlem: The Four Hundred Year History from Dutch Village to Capital of Black America
  • Back to Vietnam:  Tours of the Heart
  • Hothouse: The Art of Survival and the Survival of Art at America's Most Celebrated Publishing House, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
  • Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure
  • Mr. Hornaday's War: How a Peculiar Victorian Zookeeper Waged a Lonely Crusade for Wildlife That Changed the World
  • Back to the Garden: The Story of Woodstock
  • The Trip: Andy Warhol's Plastic Fantastic Cross-Country Adventure
SHERILL TIPPINS is the author of February House: The Story of W. H. Auden, Carson McCullers, Jane and Paul Bowles, Benjamin Britten and Gypsy Rose Lee Under One Roof in Wartime America. She lives in New York City.
“Americans were endangering their mental and physical health through overwork,” and all in pursuit of the dollar. “Life is not for learning, nor is life for working,” he ranted, “but learning and working are for life.” 0 likes
“the hotel was no longer Gardner’s “once rather noble Chelsea,” despite its rather bizarrely timed designation as a national historic landmark that year.” 0 likes