Start by marking “Mr. Wuffles!” as Want to Read:
Mr. Wuffles!

Mr. Wuffles!

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  5,678 ratings  ·  1,096 reviews
In a near wordless masterpiece that could only have been devised by David Wiesner, a cat named Mr. Wuffles doesn't care about toy mice or toy goldfish. He’s much more interested in playing with a little spaceship full of actual aliens—but the ship wasn't designed for this kind of rough treatment. Between motion sickness and damaged equipment, the aliens are in deep trouble ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Wuffles!, please sign up.
Annabelle Rhoda I think Mr. Wuffles! is geared for any age from 1-10. It is really good

Bionic Jean
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bionic Jean by: Melki
Mr Wuffles is a typical cat. Not a cute kitten, nor even a lovable rogue, but all Cat with a capital C. Independent, contrary and defiant, he's the sort of cat with a "try rubbing my tummy and I'll scratch your eyes out" sort of air. Staring out at you balefully from the cover, he looks like a whole lot of trouble.

Sure enough, we find that Mr Wuffles disdainfully ignores all the toys his loving owner has provided. She does not seem to know her pet very well. Whether it is a wind-up clockwork mou
Miriam
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Great illustrations and a fun story, but also an entree into some sophisticated topics if one wanted to discuss such with one's children. Subjectivity of experience, for instance, or different methods of communication, or what animals might be perceiving.

One of my favorite bits was the ant "cave" paintings of their historical struggle with Mr. Wuffles.
Hilary
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children interested in alien stories
A cat finds a small flying saucer that contains aliens, when he starts to play with it the aliens are shaken about. When they leave the ship and hide under a cupboard they meet with some other species who have also had long standing harassment from the cat and they join forces to try to escape. Although I can see this is an action packed and inventive book, I personally didn't enjoy it that much. I'm not a fan of illustrations that use a black line to contain the colours, and I didn't like the c ...more
Manybooks
I do feel both somewhat guilty and rather curmudgeonly, as I seem to be one of the very few individuals who has not at all enjoyed David Wiesner's Mr. Wuffles! For while I can appreciate Wiesner's artwork as being (and as usual) wonderfully adept and colourfully descriptive, and am definitely able to smile a bit at how Mr. Wuffles (like a typical cat) disdains ALL of the toys with which his owner tries to tempt him, the entire storyline of a miniature alien spaceship needing repairs and being pa ...more
Tasha
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The masterful Wiesner returns with another near-wordless picture book. Mr. Wuffles is a cat who disdains most of the toys his master gets him. Then one object gets his attention, a little metallic spaceship. But this is not a toy! It is filled with tiny aliens who are battered by being flung around by Mr. Wuffles. Their equipment is damaged and they have to leave their ship and head out looking for help. But Mr. Wuffles is close behind them and who can the aliens turn to for aid?

This is a magni
Catherine
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, picture-books
Mr. Wuffles looks like my Schmaggles (actual name Magpie):

magpie photo IMG_20140920_121906597.jpg

She is our perfect princess who demand adoration and affection from everyone she meets and who snuggles with my boys at night.

So is it any wonder that they rooted for the supposedly vicious predator...

photo IMG_20150113_134246586.jpg

...rather than the alien beings with whom they were apparently supposed to identify?

photo IMG_20150113_134327059.jpg

They did enjoy my verbal interpretation of the aliens' shape-based language.

The kinship between the aliens and the tiny inhabitants of earth (also "vict
Melki
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Melki by: Lynn Brunner
It takes a special toy to capture the attention of the finicky Mr. Wuffles. A "toy" like a ladybug, or an ant or . . . a spaceship full of tiny aliens.

description

I started laughing at the first few pages and didn't finish until I closed the book. Had to read a second time to admire all the artwork.

This is truly a delight - and not just for cat lovers!
David Schaafsma
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Sci fi comes to children's books, with strong, colorful drawings.. a cat and her favorite toy spaceship… with aliens… I liked the concept of this and the art more than the actual story, same for my kids, in their response to it.
Colby Sharp
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Weisneris brilliant. He's sort of like the mad scientist of picture books.
Natasha
A story about a cat but with a twist! Fantastic illustrations which take us through the journey of this wordless picture book!
Agnė
3.5 out of 5
David Wiesner's illustrations in this nearly wordless comic book style picturebook capture cat movement and behavior perfectly:

After reading Mr. Wuffles!, I kind of feel bad for all the little bugs my own cat stalks and plays with (and eats)...
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Mr. Wuffles--what a cute name! Wish I'd thought of it. Being a cat lover, of course I had to read this book, though there's not much to read here, being almost wordless. I had to laugh at the price tags on the toys. I'm sure every cat owner has spent a small fortune on toys and furniture for their cats, only to have the favorite toy become an old bottle cap, a paper clip, a straw, or something that's yours. Mr. Wuffles is, in this respect, a typical cat, preferring to play with the little alien ...more
Dolly
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love David Wiesner's books, and when I saw that he had a new book out and it featured a cat named Mr. Wuffles, I was very excited. I just knew we were in for a treat.

This nearly wordless book actually has a lot of dialogue, but it's in 'alien' and 'ant,' so we cannot actually read the words. I thought this would pose a problem as we read it aloud, but our youngest was kind enough to provide the sound effects for the different conversations.

We enjoyed looking at the details in the pictures a
RLL22018_ Delashay
May 08, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy_scifi
This somewhat wordless picture book, attempts to take a glance into the imagination of a cat. Mr. Wuffles gets a new toy, and it appears to look like a tiny space craft. As he plays with the vessels the tiny Martians inside are takin for a ride. Only after they escape did the fun for Wuffles begin.

Another one of David Wiesner’s master pieces, the pictures communicated the story effortlessly. I would recommend this book for grades Pk-2. I would use the strange language of the Martian’s, for math
John of Canada
One of the benefits of being friends with people who work in the kids section of the public library is that you get awesome book recommendations.The artwork in Mr Wuffles is wonderful.Now I have to find a little kid who can translate what the aliens are saying!
Bizarre. Absolutely bizarre. If you are into science-fiction and the idea of a cat chasing and playing with an alien ship sounds like a good wordless story to you, then this will probably be more than a three star read for you. Unfortunately, I'm just not into cats and aliens.
Lauren
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Mr. Wuffles was a story about a cat playing with his toy. But inside one of his toys was something special. He has mini aliens that have escaped from his toy he didn’t know existed.As they’re trying to find there way back home someone else isn’t having that. Will Mr. Wuffles let them go home or keep them hostage?

For this book the cover page really caught my attention. The title “ MR. WUFFLES” was in all cap letters and different colors. Also having a big black caught my attention as well. Having
Laura Brenneisen
Title: Mr. Wuffles! By: David Wiesner Copyright: 2013 Number of Pages: 32 Lit Require: Fantasy/SciFi #1 picture book

This book is about a cat who find a circular object that is really an alien space shuttle. These aliens want to explore the new world, but afraid of the cat and derive a plan to sneak by the cat without it noticing. However, the cat notices and starts to reach for the aliens, but the aliens poke its paw with one of their planet's flags. The aliens escape into an ant hole where its
Kaethe
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wiesner is astounding. Mr. Wuffles is hyper-realistic, just amazing to look at, so vivid on the page. Wow. And also, it's an amusing little story. But that cat! We have an enormous jellicle cat that resembles Wiesner's and I am in awe of every picture. Even if you hate picture books, even if cats give you hives, you should take ten minutes out of your life to look at these pictures.

Library copy
Amar Pai
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
If you've ever wondered why your cat ignores all the nice squeaky toys you give him (or her) and you always wonder why the cat is stalking around mysteriously after some invisible prey... answers within.

I like how terrifying the cat looks in this book, from the littler creatures' point of view. It's true! If you were tiny, a house cat would be very frightening.
Erica
I'm going to have to buy this book and shelve it alongside Tuesday, my former favorite Weisner book. This one gives that one a run for its money mainly because it explains SO much of what goes on in my house.
Especially the pictographs of cat carnage I keep finding along baseboards.
Kathryn
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Quite imaginative! Quite humorous. I really appreciated it but it didn't really resonate with me enough to become a favorite.

Still, I'd recommend it to fans of quirky wordless picture books. And to those who feel their cats know much more than they tell ;-)
Cheryl
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the homage/ parody of the little green men, but the rest leaves me cold. Wiesner is always hit or miss with me, ok.

Reread to see (view spoiler)as Beverly pointed out.
Regine
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
To my surprise it was a wordless book. I was hoping for a actual story, and it was a strange story that involved this cat and Aliens. It was just to strange.
Jacob
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Amazing! Love the art and story!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Wiesner is brilliant. I knew this wouldn't be the run of the mill book and I wasn't disappointed. Now to figure out how I want to use it with students.
Jasmine
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I MUST BUY SEVEN COPIES.
Rachel Kinney
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I chose this story for one of the illustrator project books. This adorable story about a cat who doesn't like playing with any of the toys his owners give him finds a toy that is the spaceship for some aliens. The cat knocks them around and they eventually flee to save themselves. The illustrations in this story are very bright, vibrant, and big. Each picture utilizes the entire page and David Wiesner spares no detail, even the inside of the space ship is full of detail. This story would be a gr ...more
Ike
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
A delightful read! Mr. Wuffles is a nosy, choosy cat that likes what he likes. He plays with what he wants and bargain's for more that he choose when he selects an alien spacecraft. The illustrations are excellent and add immensely to ones reading and viewing pleasure. Children of all ages will enjoy Mr. Wuffles as he goes about his adventure. (By the way, it's Grandkid approved in my home!)
Henrico Youth Boo...: Mr. Wuffles by David Wiesner 4 21 Nov 21, 2013 12:27PM
  • Inside Outside
  • Building Our House
  • Carnivores
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Journey (Journey Trilogy, #1)
  • The Tortoise & the Hare
  • Bluebird
  • The Farmer and the Clown
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • Daisy Gets Lost
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
During David Wiesner's formative years, the last images he saw before closing his eyes at night were the books, rockets, elephant heads, clocks, and magnifying glasses that decorated the wallpaper of his room. Perhaps it was this decor which awakened his creativity and gave it the dreamlike, imaginative quality so often found in his work.

As a child growing up in suburban New Jersey, Wiesner re-cre