Start by marking “The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy Book 1)

The King's Favourite Son

(John Plantagenet Trilogy #1)

There was one mighty ruler in western Europe in 1166, and he was married to the greatest heiress of the age. King Henry II of England was at the height of his powers and together with his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, he presided over an empire that stretched from the Pyrenees in the south to the English border with Scotland.

He was fortune’s darling: witty, powerful, rich a
Published December 23rd 2012 by Durovernum Press (first published December 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Favourite Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Favourite Son

Start your review of The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy Book 1)
Therese
$3.25

After reading some reviews on Amazon, I was hesitant about getting this book but decided to go ahead since I want to learn and read more about John. The price didn't hurt my decision either. Surprisingly enough I liked this book more than I thought I would, and while it doesn't have the detail and writing that Penman has, it gave me more of an idea of why John turned out the way he was. He was so different from his brothers and the least fit to be a king, but of course that is what happened
Veronica
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Perhaps inevitably, I didn't enjoy this as much as the Arthur trilogy I've just read. It seemed rather like a story about a dysfunctional family that just happened to be set in the 12th century; I'd have liked a bit more period detail. But Jan Foxall is still very good at conveying the difficult relationships between her characters, and making sense of their multiple conflicting interests. I'm sure John will develop in an interesting way in the next book, but I'll wait a while before reading it.
Christine Cazeneuve
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Was a fast read and if you don't know much about this family you can easily get confused as to some of the people i.e., Rosamund for one. As I know much about the entire Plantagenet family history I was fine with how the story jumps ahead - months and years at a time. The book portrays John much differently than other books and attempts to give understanding as to why John became the man he did.

Looking forward to the other two books in the series.
Kathleen
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A slightly different perspective but one I enjoyed a great deal. I will of course read all three books and will also start the series on the Norman Conquest.Very happy to have finally decided to read this one, I am a Plantagenet junkie.

I think that there was just the right pace and depth for an enjoyable read. Jan Foxall's historical facts work quite well for me. Definitely recommend!
Pat K
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story of King Henry II, Eleanor of Aquitaine and their sons. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, easy reading historical novel. As soon as I finished the book, I went straight into the second book in the trilogy. ( the beauty of a kindle, a few clicks and you change books)
Jane
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent!

A very interesting read about some of the history of the Plantagenets. For anyone interested in historical fiction having to do with the ancient British monarchy, this would be good place to start. I can't wait to read the other two books in the trilogy.
Pauline Lloyd
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read. John's early life explains his actions later. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Eunan Carr
May 18, 2014
susan saltmarsh
May 14, 2016
Rebecca Goodwin
rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2014
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Fair Lady: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen
  • Rose of the World: Rosamund Clifford-Mistress of King Henry II
  • Secret Marriages: Edward IV, Eleanor & Elizabeth (The Falcon and the Sun: The House of York, #2)
  • My Father, My Enemy: Juliane, Daughter of Henry I (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 6)
  • The Princess Nun: Mary, Daughter of Edward I (Medieval Babes: Tales of Little-Known Ladies, #5)
  • The Land Beyond the Sea
  • The Captive Princess: Eleanor Fair Maid of Brittany (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 3)
  • The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1)
  • Kingmaker: England: The Tenth Century
  • ER Days
  • Joan (Forgotten Women of History, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • Trauma Room Two
  • ER Stories from the Inside
  • People of the ER
  • Hollywood Park: A Memoir
  • Hurry up Nurse 2: London Calling
  • The Stockton Insane Asylum Murder (Portia of the Pacific Historical Mysteries Book 3)

John Plantagenet Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Stain of Treason (John Plantagenet Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wrath of the Gods (John Plantagenet Trilogy Book 3)